The Claycord Online Museum – Flooding in Concord (in 1962)

October 25, 2021 16:00 pm · 16 comments

Thanks to “nytemuvr”, who sent these photos of the 1962 flood in Concord.

The photos were taken in the area of Park-N-Shop on Willow Pass Road and also on Market Street and Meadow Lane. You can click on each picture for a much larger view.

Anybody out there remember the flood in 1962?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Cyn October 25, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Good photos. I wasn’t in this flood, but was in the 1964 flood in Humboldt County. I remember my boots getting stuck in the mud and me having to step out of them. Good fun.

Bill October 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM

Wow second row right side photo, there is a lot of today’s money sitting there in cars.

Old Otis October 25, 2021 at 4:49 PM

I remember it. I was nine years old. Riding in the back seat (no car seat). How
did I EVER survive.
Really miss the way it was with Red Barn Furniture, Rhoads and JC Penny.

CV Grad 63 October 25, 2021 at 5:49 PM

Our football game was cancelled that Friday night – it was really wet, wet, and wet. Some of our classmates decided to try boating around town.

Badge1104 October 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM

Yes, I may remember playing indoors seen for days and the rain kept pounding and pounding. Couldn’t even step outside.
I did not know though that it flooded downtown. I remember growing up to talk about a bigger flood that happened I guess four years before that flooded a lot of homes.

Original Mall Cat October 25, 2021 at 6:41 PM

I do remember. I lived behind D.V.C. and saw Grayson Creek overflow into the streets of College Park. The storm blew in and out, like what we experienced yesterday. But we didn’t have the infrastructure that came right after the storm of 1962, to stop future flooding until the Army Corps of Engineers came and widened the creeks. Like the creek behind the Hilton. If that creek had not been widened, along with others, we would have had the same situation, over and over again. This was also before all the building on Concord Ave. and Diamond Blvd. happened. In 1962, the 680 freeway was relatively new, with only two lanes in each direction. No Sun Valley Mall. And not much between 680 and Park and Shop, mostly farmland and undeveloped land. There used to be a Drive-in movie theater across the street, where Trader Joe’s is today. The creek near there was also widened. But no one thinks about it, because it’s always been there for most people.

BadgerMe October 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM

I missed this one but around 2000 a big storm rolled through the area. It just started raining that morning. We took The Zephyr train from Martinez to Reno. It was so cool watching the heavy rain turn to heavy snow on the way there. We checked into our room at Silver Legacy. I turned on the TV as we unpacked our bags and they were showing a bay area news story about the heavy rain. They showed a video of my truck at the Martinez train station sitting in water up to the doors. Damn! Couldn’t do anything about it now. When we got back home the water was gone and the truck started fine.

JR October 25, 2021 at 7:38 PM

Must’ve been all that “Global Warming” 🙄

Dorie October 25, 2021 at 8:54 PM

I was just seven and I lived in pleasant hill, we had a lot of water flooding our streets too. If I remember right the water came in the house. When your a kid it seemed fun.

Curious October 25, 2021 at 10:22 PM

4th row down on the right… anyone know what street/neighborhood that is?

Curious October 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM

I mean the left, not right.

nytemuvr October 26, 2021 at 1:16 AM

It’s either California St. or Harrison St. and Sutter St. looking north. It was a nice neighborhood then.

jose October 26, 2021 at 5:16 AM

curious………..could it possibly be a Sherman Acres photo?
I think Sherman Acres was on both sides of 680…..

nytemuvr October 26, 2021 at 2:01 AM

@Curious….I make that assumption because that is in the middle of the slides the photographer shot these. We lived on Detroit Ave. then and the photographer doesn’t remember. It always looked to me like Sunshine Dr. as it was when I was a kid, maybe a street off Meadow Lane.

Exit 12A October 26, 2021 at 7:23 AM

But 1962 was before “climate change”.

DD October 26, 2021 at 10:27 AM

I don’t remember the flood but now I want a Papa Burger and a Root Beer Float.