The Water Cooler – Should There Be A Maximum Age Limit To Run For President?

October 18, 2021 12:21 pm · 62 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Currently, a person has to be at least 35 years old to run for President of the United States. However, there is no maximum age limit, meaning if a person is 100 years old, they can legally run for President.

QUESTION: Should there be a maximum age limit to run for President of the United States?

Talk about it.

BOOYAH! October 18, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Plenty of 100-year olds I’d vote for over Biden.

America October 18, 2021 at 12:50 PM

Some older people are sharp as tacks. Some younger people are dumb as rocks. Go figure…

Dawg October 18, 2021 at 1:00 PM

In most cases, with age comes wisdom. The only exception I can think of is our current occupier of the White House.
Trump was 70 and Reagan was 69 when they took office, and they both did a pretty good job as president. There have been younger presidents who were horrible at the job, JFK comes to mind, as well as LBJ, Jimmy Carter, G W Bush, and Obama. We had some younger presidents that did an outstanding job, such as Lincoln, FDR, US Grant, and Teddy Roosevelt. Even Bill Clinton did an alright job, not the best, but alright.
So, except for somebody like Joe Biden, there should not be a maximum age. As long as the election is not tilted in one direction, the voters should decide.

hanne jeppsen October 19, 2021 at 12:15 PM

Of course that is your prospective. Listening to historian on President, I have to agree that Reagan was a good president, although I did not agree with him on many issues. LBJ is viewed as a good president because he got things done, you might not like what he did, but when historian rate president they look at what a president got done, and if they were able to carry through their campaign promise. I agree with you about Carter. JFK is hard to judge because he was in office for such a short time, however many, including me, felt he handled the Cuban Missiles crisis very well. I’m reading a book right now, and heard him interviewed on the John Batchelor show, by Thurston Clarke, JFK’S Last hundred days. The transformation of a man and emergence of a great president, the words of the author, not me. My understanding is that Thurston Clarke is a somewhat conservative historian. JFK’s speech on civil rights and the Cuban crisis and many others are masterful.

Dawg October 19, 2021 at 3:04 PM

JFK increased military involvement in Vietnam, and the war escalated under LBJ, it was Nixon that got us out. The Cuban missile crisis was completely JFK’s fault. JFK put nuclear missiles in Turkey because they were close enough to strike Moscow. Nikita Khrushchev put missiles in Cuba in response to JFK’s provocations. Thanks to Reagan, Mikhail Gorbachev ended the Cold War. Historians aren’t always truthful and/or accurate. Liberal historians will paint a picture one way, and conservative historians will paint it another way. I don’t need a historian to tell me how something happened, when I lived through it and saw it for myself.
In my view, JFK and LBJ did more harm to our country than any other president in my lifetime.

Exit 12A October 18, 2021 at 1:14 PM

But those over 70 years old should be required to take (objective) cognitive reasoning performance tests.
Biden would clearly fail. He’s an imbecile.

JCA October 18, 2021 at 1:40 PM

Let’s Go Exit 12A

Pyrrhus October 19, 2021 at 8:37 AM

I agree, maybe than we wouldn’t have had that bumbling fool named Trump. Have you ever tried reading a transcript of his? It’s completely choppy, incoherent, and sounds like a blabbering old fool. Maybe it would also pick up on him being a pathological liar on the level of Kim Jong-Un. Remember the entire “Healthiest President”? It was discovered that the Doctor was dictated to sign off on an assessment he did not write and a few inches were added to Trump’s height to take him out of morbidly obese.

jprcards October 18, 2021 at 1:16 PM

Perhaps passing some required cognitive tests would be more appropriate than an age limit.

Hanne Jeppesen October 18, 2021 at 3:42 PM

That makes more sense, since dementia can happen to someone in their fifties or even earlier. Of course this would apply to everyone from whatever party

ClayDen October 18, 2021 at 5:59 PM

A cognitive test for the voters would be more appropriate than for the candidate. The only problem wth that is there are a lot of people who are not cognitively challenged who would still vote for people like Sleepy Joe. This would include people like Mark Zuckerberg who are just wrong; he had a big part in getting this moron elected.

Jeff (the other one) October 18, 2021 at 1:24 PM

I do not think there should be a Constitutional upper age limit. Because the current elderly President has mental difficulties, does not mean there are not others who are still sharp as tacks. Biden was a dim fool the first time he ran for President, 30 years ago.; this is not age related.

To Do List October 18, 2021 at 1:28 PM

There probably should be an age limit for this and the Supreme Court, although as already pointed out, people age differently. Biden aged faster and many times appears frail and sometimes confused. I doubt even his supporters on this site would say he could beat them in a child’s game of Sorry, yet they support him to deal with the new hypersonic nuclear weapons China developed. Yikes.

Pyrrhus October 19, 2021 at 9:04 AM

I can agree that Biden likely isn’t as quick as he was in his younger days. However, he is still sharper than the tool that just left the White House. This is a tired argument that the right wing has been trying to push since before the election. People always point to his fumbling of words. However, the guy has always fumbled his words and has a speech impediment with stuttering. How is this anything new?

From someone that begrudgingly voted for him (first time ever voting for a Democrat President) Here is where he has screwed up in my opinion. The Afghanistan withdrawal, the continued crisis at the Border, Failure of the Rental Assistance Program, and the inability to reign in members of his party in the Senate (two who are just Republicans in Democrat clothing).

His accomplishments have been coherent messaging and vaccine distribution in regards to COVID19 (still trying to reverse the damage of Trump). the American Rescue Plan, specifically cutting income taxes where 67% of the tax cut went to the lowest 60% of tax payers instead of Trump where 65% of the tax cuts went to the top 20% (21% went to the top 1%). Also, Biden’s tax cut was larger than Trumps. Lastly, Biden has done much to reverse the stupidity of the previous administration of dismantling environmental protections

After the last guy he looks like genius and a great president. However, as time fades and America’s memory grows short they will find him to be a mediocre uninspiring President. The only way I see him winning again is if Trump runs again. The vast majority of voters do not like Trump and don’t want exTwitter thumbs back in office.

To Do List October 19, 2021 at 10:40 AM

Pyrrhus: I disagree with several things you say and actually would vote for Trump again if he is up against someone like Biden or Harris. However, I am not going to argue with you. The usual pro-Biden and anti-Trump material here is so hit and run, cheap shot, personality contest stuff completely lacking content, it is refreshing to read your note. I will just just let it stand as is and say thank you for your comments.

Cyn October 19, 2021 at 11:31 AM

@Pyrrhus
You wrote that Biden is sharper than Trump; that he looks like a genius and is a great president. HOLY COW….. are you suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome, or what?

Pyrrhus October 20, 2021 at 9:18 AM

@Cyn, you must be suffering from reading comprehension. Here, let me quote my own quotes.

“However, he is still sharper than the tool that just left the White House.”

“After the last guy he looks like genius and a great president.”

See how it is a comparison? It’s like saying a new born dirty diaper smells like roses compared to a toddler’s diaper. The fact is they are both filled with poop and are gross, but I’d rather deal with the baby diaper. I’d much rather deal with Biden as President who isn’t destroying America and it’s institutions (Robert Gates thinks the same) than tweedle dum Trump. I’m sure he’ll have something profound to say on his twitter. https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

Ricardoh October 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM

The problem in the last election is people refuse to believe their eyes. Any thinking person could see Biden was not up to the task. He should never have been the democrat nominee. He was a bumbling fool during their debates. So people picked the one with the most name recognition. The problem is uninformed voters. Well when you think about who he debated there wasn’t a great choice. We are stuck with letting any citizen vote. I’m afraid other losers will be elected.

JWB October 18, 2021 at 3:09 PM

Are you for real?

“We are stuck with letting any citizen vote” do you think we should only let citizens vote who vote for your candidate?

“He was a bumbling fool during their debates” Particularly in the first debate the overwhelming majority of the viewers thought that Biden won the debate, remember the Proud Boys stand down and stand by comment?

“So people picked the one with the most name recognition” Yes Trump was just an underdog nobody recognized his name? For crying out he was President for 4 years and before that he was all over TV with a game show and had his name plastered on anything he could.

Hanne Jeppesen October 18, 2021 at 3:37 PM

I’m not disputing that Biden is not as sharp as he once was. He is for the most part not an eloquent speaker. However it seems of late this has become the MO for Republicans when it’s a democratic nominee, Sean Hannity had Hilary on her death bed when she was running. If Bernie had won l feel we would hear the same, so l can’t really take those comments seriously. Certainly Trump often made speeches that did not make sense, but l’m not about to diganose him with dementia

Ricardoh October 18, 2021 at 4:59 PM

JWB
Have you ever seen any man in the street interviews? There are people who have no command of facts or history. Many have a hard time knowing who is president or who we fought in WW2. They can’t distinguish between a communist or a capitalist. Some don’t even know their own state. I am not talking about real old people and droolers these are people in their twenties.

Ricardoh October 18, 2021 at 5:13 PM

Hanne.
Obama said Joe screws up everything. Bill Gates said Biden never got a foreign policy right in his life. So exactly when was Biden sharp? Maybe when he lied and said he graduated at the top of his class when he was actually at the bottom. Or when he said he had three scholarships, another lie. Did you watch the democrat debates? Biden was a disaster but he got nominated and in spite of no campaigning won more votes than any past president. Even though Trump got ten million more votes than he got running against Hillary. The truth is the crooked left wing press sold us a dud.

To Do List October 18, 2021 at 5:21 PM

Lots of people should not be voting and I am mostly against voter registration drives. If you have to convince someone to vote, they probably should not be doing that. In addition to what has been mentioned, ask an 18 year old how they would vote on California’s Prop 13. Most of them have no frame of reference, never owned property, probably never held a job except pulling weeds in the neighbor’s yard and never filled out a tax form. If you expect some minimum level of competence for someone to be your dentist, why is voting different. The incompetence does impact you. Look at that bicycle activist voted onto the BART board of directors by clowns thinking its funny or something to vote that way. See the impact.

JWB October 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM

You must have a different Constitution, mine says nothing about the right to perform dentistry.

And why should an 18 year old not have a right to voice his/her view on Prop 13? Sounds pretty arrogant to me to think you’re the one with the right answers.

JWB October 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM

@ Ricardoh

I assume you meant Robert Gates and not Bill Gates? So Gates and Biden may disagree on some (or maybe most) foreign policy so what. But did you also get what Robert Gates said about Trump?

Anderson Cooper: Do you think the former president will run again? President Trump?

Robert Gates: I hope not.

Anderson Cooper: Why do you hope not?

Robert Gates: I am a strong believer in institutions whether it’s the intelligence community, the Defense Department, the State Department, the Justice Department, the FBI. He disdains institutions and– and I think he did a lot to weaken institutions.

Anderson Cooper: You called him a thin skinned, temperamental, shoot from the hip and lip, uninformed Commander-in-Chief. Too great a risk for America, you said.

Robert Gates: I would not edit that at all. (LAUGH)

So if Robert Gates believes that Trump is an uninformed Commander-in-Chief and too great a risk for America, why are you surprised that he lost the election?

Sure looks to me that the voters made the right call in 2020.

To Do List October 18, 2021 at 8:12 PM

What does Gates mean he weakened our institutions? When I read that I immediately thought of Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper in Dr. Strangelove who said, ” I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”

Cyn October 18, 2021 at 10:50 PM

@JWB
I also saw the interview with Gates, and your post omits a whole bunch of stuff. Now, why is it you can quote Gates’ remarks about Trump but not quote Gates’ remarks about Joe being wrong on every foreign policy issue from Reagan to present day? And Gates said a few more unflattering things that you failed to bring up. All you said was that Gates and Biden disagree on some foreign policy. You definitely DID NOT tell it like it was. 🙁

Gittyup.com October 18, 2021 at 11:10 PM

Joe Biden was Nancy Pelosi’s ” … glass of water with a D behind it” that Democrats will alway elect.

JWB October 19, 2021 at 5:58 AM

@Cyn

where did I say that my quote about Trump was the entire Gates interview? I simply responded to Ricardoh who brought up one Gates quote and I asked about another Gates quote.

But back to you? Why did you leave the following out when talking about Biden

“Now I will say that in the– in the Obama administration, he and I obviously had significant differences over Afghanistan. But he and I did agree in our opposition to the intervention in Libya and frankly on issues relating to Russia and China.”

Or the bits about January 6th and Trump’s propaganda about the big lie?

Pyrrhus October 19, 2021 at 9:30 AM

@Cyn, you need to go back and read the transcript. This is what Gates actually said about Biden’s foreign policy.

Anderson Cooper: You wrote, Joe Biden “is a man of integrity. Still, I think he’s been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades.”

Robert Gates: I think he’s gotten a lot wrong.

Anderson Cooper: You’re talking all through the years–

Robert Gates: Yeah–

Anderson Cooper: –as vice president and as senator–

Robert Gates: He opposed every one of Ronald Reagan’s military programs to contest the Soviet Union. He opposed the first Gulf War. That list goes on. Now I will say that in the– in the Obama administration, he and I obviously had significant differences over Afghanistan. But he and I did agree in our opposition to the intervention in Libya and frankly on issues relating to Russia and China.

That’s a big difference from wrong on EVERY policy. Also, you have to remember, Gates is a Republican and is a supporter of Reagan (who completely failed in Iran) so his criticism may be informed but is also biased.

Ricardoh October 19, 2021 at 11:08 AM

JWB
I often call my kids by the wrong name also. Robert it is.
Trump is not the president. Everything he did made sense. Biden is now the president and he just appointed a man who thinks he is a woman to Admiral. More of his clown show appointments.

JWB October 19, 2021 at 11:59 AM

@Ricardoh

Just wondering do you or do you not agree with Robert Gates’ assessment of Trump? I have dodged that question.

JWB October 19, 2021 at 12:29 PM

Sorry my bad. Of course it should say “you have dodged that question”

Gittyup October 19, 2021 at 2:19 PM

@JWB Trump has some obvious quirks, but one cannot deny his acumen, particularly with regard to his stunning and historic employment numbers.

JWB October 19, 2021 at 8:16 PM

Sure Gittyup if you call incompetent and the worst presidency of our lifetime “quirks” and if you call ending his presidency with an economy that had 2.9 million fewer jobs than when he started — becoming the first president in modern times to experience a net loss of jobs over his time in office, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which has monthly employment figures dating to 1939, stunning.

Tsa October 18, 2021 at 2:01 PM

No age limit, but definitely a competency test and a financial literacy test.

The Fearless Spectator October 18, 2021 at 2:12 PM

Obviously consequences of presidential decisions have profound effects on the U.S. Bi-annual cognitive tests should be welcomed by anyone taking on such huge responsibility. Further, as part of their oath they must agree to step down should there be a problem. Citizens will applaud such wisdom.

Think of it this way: Eventually all seniors need to stop driving, and there is probably a thirty year range for when it’s appropriate. Do you wait for Dad to roll his SUV and possibly injure others before you take away his keys? No you have his abilities checked and ask him to agree to retire from the road when it’s time. (I don’t want to leave anyone out so this goes for Mom and the Gender Neutral also).

Gittyup October 18, 2021 at 11:01 PM

And, when you take away their car keys, are you volunteering to drive them where they need to go?

NoMoreFreeRide October 18, 2021 at 2:29 PM

Darwin October 18, 2021 at 3:12 PM

Let’s go Brandon!

Yes October 18, 2021 at 3:31 PM

Why stop at President? Why not include US Senators, US Reps., and Supreme Court Justices?
America doesn’t need geriatrics running it. How about a mandatory retirement age of 72?
Thus, we could get rid of the following people now or in the near future:
Pres. Biden (78 yrs) , ex Pres. Trump (75), Senators Feinstein (88), Grassley (88), Bernie Sanders (80), and Mitch McConell( 80), Speaker Pelosi (80), Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas (73) , Stephen Breyer (83), and Samuel Alioto (almost 72).

Chris October 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM

Yes, I’m not sure if people stay in positions of power due to perks, ego, or really believe in their hearts they are making a difference. Maybe all the above, but I do know nothing is sadder than watching these old fools trying to communicate with our allies and the American people. Boris Yeltsin could communicate better after a fifth of vodka than the idiot in the White House.

PO'd October 18, 2021 at 5:33 PM

Biden makes age an issue because he is slow-witted, but he was never a mental giant when he was younger. The only question is how long before Harris takes over?

It’s up to the voters to decide if a candidate is unfit to serve when voting.

Of course, we’ve never seen a President fall uphill before.

Gittyup October 18, 2021 at 5:51 PM

It should have been obvious that Biden didn’t have what it takes to be President even before he was nominated. But, when did that ever stop a Democrat?

greg October 19, 2021 at 7:38 AM

@Gittyup we just witnessed 4 years of a mentally compromised potus who was pretty dumb to begin with. (If Trump has ever read a book, it had lots of pictures.) Trump stated twice his father was born in Germany, which suggests dementia.

I mean…we all heard Trump speak. He continually struggled with words and slurred his speech. YOu can deny it but you’ve seen the same videos everyone else has.

Biden has been articulate, and more imporantly actually working the job. Trump just tweeted, raged at tv news, and golfed.

It’s one of the reasons Trump didn’t want to bother with covid: it would have forced him to work for a living.

Dr Jellyfinger October 19, 2021 at 10:28 AM

Now who could argue with that?

Dr Jellyfinger October 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM

“Biden has been articulate”

Sorry about the other link,my mistake, but it looks like Youtube is bunching up Biden speeches with all the other comedy videos…. it was bound to happen.

Gittyup October 19, 2021 at 2:11 PM

@ greg Surely you jest! Search Biden’s gaffs on YouTube. There are entire channels devoted to his babbling. Trump delivered moving tributes to our military and their families. Biden turned billions in the most sophisticated military equipment over to those who very well might use it against us one day. Unlike Obama, Biden does know how to salute the guy at the bottom of the stairs when he exits the plane. He just doesn’t know why he’s doing it. Commander-In-Chief? Hardly … and he proved that with Afghanistan. .

Schmee October 18, 2021 at 6:25 PM

Yes. A person 75 or older typically isn’t going to change their viewpoint on any issues. They get cranky and have to go to bed early. They aren’t running anywhere if need be. And completely out of touch with people 20-40 years younger than them- Also known as the people that drive our economy.

Sam October 18, 2021 at 6:46 PM

35 is too young. I do have a problem with childless politicians. biden has always been a complete idiot.

Dorothy October 18, 2021 at 7:17 PM

There is a minimum age, 35, I believe. No reason why there shouldn’t be a maximum age as well. And Yes, I agree that there should be one for US Senators, Reps, and Supreme Court Justices. Actually, for all elected peoples.

Sam Malone October 19, 2021 at 7:50 AM

There should be an age limit on both ends.
Why is Biden being protected it is because we all know he is in capable of wiping his own behind let alone being President?

We are the laughing stock of the universe. Hope you all who voted for and continue to support these fools feel the pain like the rest of us. All of these freebies come at a cost. There needs to be a balance of power and it is way canted at this point.

Wake up and we need to get this country balanced once again.

JWB October 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM

@ Sam Malone

what’s your evidence for “We are the laughing stock of the universe”?

I’m asking because just today Gallup release its findings about U.S. ratings in the world

For what it’s worth according to Gallup we were the laughing stock under Trump and are now rebounding.

Dr Jellyfinger October 19, 2021 at 9:54 AM

LoL! JWB’s poll was taken in early August, just before Biden’s humiliating clustered up, deadly, bungled bug out from Afghanistan!

“The global approval ratings for U.S. leadership may change as Gallup completes its 2021 fieldwork in more countries and particularly in the wake of the fallout abroad over the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan in late August”

So what the hell is the point of this old poll? Why release it now?

Is this the best news the Blue Team had before Biden’s ultimate record breaking incompetent disaster?

The World HATES America now… and with good reason!
Our former friends and allies ripped Biden a new one, if anyone wants to challenge that statement I can post about a hundred articles from around the world to support it.

Go ahead… I know a few of you mentally unstable zealots actually agreed with the befuddled old President that it was an “Extraordinary Success” LoL!

JWB October 19, 2021 at 11:45 AM

Wow you’re too funny Jelly

Why did you leave this out of your quotation?

“However, the substantial gains across so many countries halfway through 2021 make it unlikely that the final rating for Biden’s first year in office could retreat to his predecessor’s levels.”

It’s the end of the paragraph you quoted.

Why did gallup release it today? How would I know?

Dr Jellyfinger October 19, 2021 at 10:16 PM

Why didn’t I just repost your entire article?

If Gallup wants to predict the future for Joe, let ’em… that is weak.

Facts are facts… Biden is a total screw up and has humiliated the USA & abandoned hundreds of Americans behind enemy lines… that’s how things stand NOW… it is not a prediction, it is happening now.

That is Biden’s “Extraordinary Success”

Randy October 19, 2021 at 7:59 AM

yes, maybe 72 but anybody over 65 take a competency & financial literacy test… and a check for dementia.

Ricardus October 19, 2021 at 8:44 AM

Yes. If you can set an age limit for being too young, the reverse should apply for being too old. The generational gap is just insane. This should also apply to congress. It’s crazy that Don Young of Alaska is 87 years old. When he was young (no pun intended), people were still taking ocean liners to cross the Atlantic. Can you imagine teaching him what a hastag is or showing him PornHub for the first time on his iPhone?

There is a retirement age for a reason. I say that the upper limit should be the retirement age. Health can decline rapidly when you are older. After all, we don’t get to vote for the VP.

greg October 19, 2021 at 9:42 AM

“How come Trump was constantly badgered to release his medical records. Which he did.”

lol no he didn’t. Or are you referring to either 1) the crank doc who said Trump wrote his own appraisal? Or Ronny Jackson, DC town drunk?

It’s hilarious watching Trump voters pretend like the rest of us don’t remember the last 4 years.

Gittyup October 19, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Not really, but we certainly remember the very painful eight years before Trump.

Original G October 19, 2021 at 9:00 PM

Age limit makes sense, but term limits would be a greater benefit to our country. As member of congress attains age of 75 should be required to pass yearly, extensive written and verbal professional cognitive assessment.

Drivers licenses are lifted when person is cognitively impaired to point of being unsafe operating a motor vehicle.

Do wonder with older leadership of congress how many of their staff are tasked with making sure they don’t wander off.

jjshawk October 20, 2021 at 8:50 PM

Why does it matter? The people, most qualified for the job, are smart enough not to want all the BS involved, that is,… if their party establishment doesn’t stick it you know where in the end. If Bernie, had begged, borrowed, or rented Trump’s balls, he would have been much better off.

The Vice President should be healthy, and somewhere in their 50’s, just in case “El Presidente”kicks da bucket.