Claycord – Talk About Whatever

October 15, 2021 19:02 pm · 43 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such as a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Concordejet October 15, 2021 at 7:10 PM

Joke

Today a man knocked on my door and asked for a small donation toward the local swimming pool. I gave him a glass of water.

Cathy October 15, 2021 at 7:38 PM

Saw this same joke on claycord a few days ago

Jeff (the other one) October 15, 2021 at 8:48 PM

@Concordejet, can I say ugh? Ugh!. Keep them coming….

Cowellian October 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM

Cowellian’s First

Jeff (the other one) October 15, 2021 at 9:07 PM

Watching the bezos/musk/branson rockets land back on Earth, upright, is such a remarkable indication of the brilliance of some of our engineers, astounding. I can’t even imagine the skills required for each aspect of not only launch, but that landing. For commercial viability, they have to design a better re-entry, although perhaps chuting down is part of the ride…Not sure I have the stones to take that ride, probably do, but I know I don’t have the ducats for that. Shatner is a great promotional maneuver; sending Captain Kirk up into space. Classy description/expression of gratitude Shatner gave to bezos, kudos to him.

ClayDen October 15, 2021 at 10:30 PM

In this case, you DO have to be a rocket scientist.

The Wizard October 15, 2021 at 10:02 PM

Congratulations to Brandon Brown in his NASCAR Talladega win.

Chris October 15, 2021 at 10:31 PM

Last year we home owners will told by the County Assessor there would be a reduction in our property taxes due to COVID. Since many people received holds and cancelation of rents as well as other reductions all in the name of COVID, our family was looking forward to a small break in our property taxes. We just received our property taxes with only an INCREASE! What a Liar. I urge all good property owners to email, call, and write letters to the County Assessor and ask him why we did not receive a reduction however small in our taxes. He probably figured most of us would forget.

Jeff (the other one) October 16, 2021 at 6:27 AM

The beast will not be denied it’s growing piece of flesh.

Roz October 16, 2021 at 7:09 AM

Chris~
What?,….did you do any home improvements with a permit this year?
That would maybe make it go up than down.
Ours only drop $40,…so not much for a reduction.

Janus October 16, 2021 at 10:23 AM

Not hard to figure out why.

According to Zillow, housing prices in Contra Costa County have gone up 25.8% from August 2020 to August 2021. That means your house value has gone up; which means your property tax burden, which is based on property value has gone up.

According to Tax-Rate.org Contra Costa County Contra Costa County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States, and is ranked 72nd of the 3143 counties in order of median property taxes. Contra Costa tax rate is 71% of the property’s assessed fair market value. So it is written, so shall it be.

This of course doesn’t take into consideration Contra Costa County and your local city sales tax rates which can be as high as 9.75%: .25% of which goes to the county, 6% to the state and the rest to the cities or “special” tax districts.

Nor does it take into consideration that California charges 66.9 cents per gallon of gasoline tax plus the Fed 18 cents per gallon tax making California the highest gas tax in the Nation.

Social Justice Warrior Programs cost money and since, unlike the Fed, the county cannot just run printing presses longer, they collect taxes.

You rich need to pay your fair share. Complaining is un-American, a micro trigger and most definitely hate speech; for the slow out their, my tongue is firmly in cheek.

Bill October 16, 2021 at 5:18 PM

Did you notice how much the Clayton Sewer Tax is? Ours is well over $600.

Kauai Mike October 18, 2021 at 8:15 AM

all government is theft

The Masked Poster October 16, 2021 at 12:26 AM

Looking for some GOOD lemon chicken Chinese food. New Lim’s Garden used to have the best, but the last time I tried it, all the flavor had gone. Suggestions???

chuckie the troll October 16, 2021 at 5:17 AM

Have you tried The Chinese Kitchen? We loved their food.

Silva October 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM

I’m not much of a Lemon Chicken fan, but my grandson is, and we would second chuckie the troll’s recommendation for The Chinese Kitchen. We used to give New Lim’s most of our Chinese food business, but now we go to The Chinese Kitchen. It’s good enough for us, and very nearby.

BOOYAH! October 16, 2021 at 7:58 AM

Bob October 16, 2021 at 9:10 AM

Can anyone explain what Zio Fraedo’s ad, “The Rat Pack is Back” means?

Bob October 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM

The Rat Pack was a group of entertainers in the 60’s.

Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, Peter Lawford, and occasionally Joey Bishop.

To Do List October 16, 2021 at 1:33 PM

If you go to their website under events, it looks like there will be a live show of rat pack impersonators in November. I’ve never heard of this place but the menu looks good.

The Masked Poster October 16, 2021 at 2:39 PM

Having recently eaten there, after a long absence, I feel the quality of the food has declined a lot, PLUS there being a surcharge for using a credit card.

Hanne Jeppesen October 16, 2021 at 10:25 AM

Driving to work this morning on Contra Costa Blvd, a serious crash in intersection and lights to Target a BMW front totally smashed glass all over and car heavily damages in driveway, definitely looked like a red light runner, most likely the BMW, and from damage must have be going to fast. Can’t say for sure of course.

BEN October 16, 2021 at 10:35 AM

Fire up the harp.

Simonpure October 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM

How ya doing Roz? Back in the kitchen yet? Best wishes my friend.

Roz October 16, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Hey Simonpure,

Yep,…Cooking & Baking and some yard clean up. Just can’t dig in the dirt yet to plant items. Each day a bit better, if I don’t over do it.

So,…are the Grandkids visiting this weekend?
Plus, do they have their Halloween outfits?

Enjoy the Beautiful Day,
Hugs, Roz

Simonpure October 16, 2021 at 9:26 PM

So glad you are back…I’m sure hubby is too. No grand-kids this weekend again. Missing soccer and stuff but it’s a break but missin em :). My girl is going to be Cruella (not so sure on the spelling) and my little boy wants to be the hulk…way to cute. He has a bolow up suit.

Sancho Panza October 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM

I was surprised to find on the Clayton 10-19 City Council Agenda that there will be a presentation by the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s office with Diana Becton…she will be presenting ‘racial equity, social justice, and a focus on reducing incarceration.’ Is Clayton on the path to becoming a sanctuary city?

The Fearless Spectator October 16, 2021 at 6:37 PM

Yep, and so is Walnut Creek.

A pistol whipping robbery on Homestead Avenue just yesterday. A route where children walk to school. Don’t mention the description of the assailents however, that would be inequitable.

Reducing incarceration is easy, just let them out early as Gavin has endorsed. The problem is they keep reoffending, which people as obtuse as Becton and Newsom just can’t fathom.

Here is a novel idea, how about focusing on reducing crime? I believe these people might refer to such an analysis as looking at the “root cause”. And we know how they love root cause………..

So yes, the sanctuary pro-crime B.S. will destroy any of the decent remaining cities in the Bay Area. Anyone who wants to keep their family remotely safe will have to move to a gated community.

Concernicus October 16, 2021 at 8:17 PM

Where are the best-decorated-for-Halloween neighborhoods? It’s a family tradition to go around looking at decorations (Same with Christmas) around my bday, I don’t know that the usual neighborhoods are good given the recent eco tanking….

Anyone know some neighborhoods with good decorations? Please and thank you.

Private Snafu October 17, 2021 at 9:15 AM

Has anyone noticed the large number of Spanish language commercials on Pluto TV? If I was spending advertisng $$ I would want to get the most bang for my buck. It seems odd to have Spanish commercials on all English language programming. Pluto TV does have over 40 Spanish channels.

Gitttup October 17, 2021 at 6:10 PM

Yes, I have noticed it. It’s very irritating. If I were going to learn a language, it wouldn’t be Spanish and the goal wouldn’t be so I could understand tv commercials. English-speaking white people are being marginalized in the advertising industry, so my dollars are going elsewhere, few that they are. I can pretty much make those trips to the fridge and the bathroom during the commercials, again, and I don’t mind saying so.

Antler October 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM

“The best thing for being sad,” replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, “is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails.”

from “The Once and Future King”

The Fearless Spectator October 19, 2021 at 9:50 AM

Several neighbors are investing in complete yard makeovers. Most are installing artificial lawn turf. While it’s nice this will provide water savings, isn’t it like purchasing millions of plastic straws? And it won’t eliminate the leaf blower until plastic trees are installed also.

Cellophane October 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM

I just finished a 4000 mile drive covering 5 states.

Without a doubt CA has the worst roads.

Without a doubt CA has the most litter.

Without a doubt CA has the highest gas prices.

Without a doubt CA has the most the worst drivers, the most reckless drivers, the most rude drivers, the most irresponsible drivers, it’s just an embarrassment.

What CA shows the world is it’s worst possible side of an already sad appearing state.

Dr Jellyfinger October 20, 2021 at 9:51 AM

Looks like they found Brian Laundrie, searchers called the Coroner.

Dr Jellyfinger October 21, 2021 at 8:41 PM

Alec Baldwin killed someone with a prop gun?
Left another seriously injured… WTF?

Glen223 October 22, 2021 at 7:54 AM

Isn’t Alec Baldwin another anti-gun actor?

Another left-wing hypocrite…..

Kentucky Derby October 22, 2021 at 8:51 AM

It’s ironic that the movie being filmed was about an accidental shooting.

Dr Jellyfinger October 22, 2021 at 9:08 AM

“Baldwin reportedly “cocked a gun during a rehearsal, unaware that there were live rounds in it, hitting two people, a man and a woman.” Representatives for Baldwin, a rabid anti-gun demagogue, did not immediately respond to media requests for comment”.

Instead of helping create “The No Rifle Association Initiative” Baldwin would have been better off joining the NRA and getting some professional training…. what an idiot!
The first thing the NRA teaches is to treat every firearm as if it is loaded and never to point at something you don’t intend to shoot!
Even children know…don’t play with guns!

Antler October 22, 2021 at 11:49 AM

Circa 1951….. my grandfather teaching me gun safety:
“And ye NEVER point a gun at a person or thing ‘less you plan to kill it. And then ye don’t miss!”.

One firearm safety courtesy our family members always practice … not sure whether it was part of military training…. is when passing a firearm from yourself to someone else, *break open the rifle, revolver, or shotgun, *check to make sure the chamber is (or chambers are… since we might be talking “side-by-side” or “over-and-under”) empty, *double-check that the safety mechanism is engaged, and FINALLY *offer the firearm to the other person with the stock pointed toward him/her. Then if you are receiving the firearm, you check it AGAIN for yourself! I remember that all firearms were open and held in the crook of the elbow when the hunters were working.

Antler October 22, 2021 at 12:16 PM

FURTHERMORE !!!
One of my university majors (once I transferred from Duke to UC Berkeley) was Theater Arts. Firearms onstage or on a film set were ALWAYS to be completely disabled; not even blanks were used! On stage, the effect of a gun shot either came from speakers up in the lighting grid area or from the nearest wing to the actor’s position. If filming, the sound effects were dubbed in later.
So I’m left shocked that Baldwin could even have access to such a dangerous prop. Yet still, even if he believed the firearm was not loaded and even if he was only testing the amount of force he would need to use to make the trigger move on cue during a take….. he SHOULD have had enough sense not to point the firearm toward any living thing when doing so!
It’s just…….

Cowellian October 22, 2021 at 4:42 PM

In for an early last

Bag-puss October 22, 2021 at 5:49 PM

Clayton Bowl is a small business I have supported for a long time and enjoy my time at, today they have seen the last of my business. Partly down to them and mainly down to CCC.

I walk in wearing my mask, look around and I would say no more than 10 of the over 60 people I counted were wearing one. I know it’s hard to police this so I don’t especially have a problem with that.

However where I do have a problem is being asked to show my vaccination/test status, I know they have this mandated on them, but as posted above so do they with regards to masks, which are arguably more important.

So they made a choice on what to police, that’s their business, but it’s also hypocritical to police one and not the other surely and no doubt they could easily be shut down and fined for the non-mask compliance.

It’s inconvenient, but we shall now be driving a little further for bowling and no doubt other activities, at some point it makes sense to sell up and move!