Claycord Online Museum – Have You Heard The News? A&W Is Now Open! (In 1960)

September 21, 2021 16:00 pm · 15 comments

Thanks to Carol Putman for this advertisement from the Concord Daily Transcript, Friday, June 17, 1960.

Who remembers when A&W was across from the Park & Shop shopping center?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Anonymous September 21, 2021 at 4:18 PM

When did it close?

Who doesn’t like a frosted mug of root beer with their Papa Burger?

M. B. September 21, 2021 at 4:21 PM

I remember the one on Contra Costa BLVD. Always went there after a little league baseball win.

Dr Jellyfinger September 21, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Who likes short shorts?

I remember the old A&W on Market St. & the one on Clayton Rd. too.
I was just an adorable little kid of course & it was a real treat when the folks would take us there.

Badge1104 September 21, 2021 at 5:41 PM

Yes, this is the one we went to when I was at adorable little boy too! Love their french fries burgers in the frosted mug of root beer!
I remember too, when we went there in our new T-bird, that the windows (Chrome top piece) were so thick that they could not slide the tray onto it and we had to put it on the console in the car. I loved sitting in the “coved” back seat of that car.

Dr Jellyfinger September 21, 2021 at 7:36 PM

T Birds were cool up until ’67… I loved ’em.
Then they turned into an old folks car in ’68.

Shoulda Coulda September 21, 2021 at 9:32 PM

Dr J—

I think you’re referring to the 1957 Thunderbird
(The Baby Bird) and the 1958 Thunderbird
(when they were supersized).

Dr Jellyfinger September 21, 2021 at 10:27 PM

No, I’m referring to 10 years of T Birds that were awesome!
Then in 68 they made it into a Mom’s car.

Martinezmike September 21, 2021 at 5:55 PM

Wow only ten cents! Except… in 1960 the dime was 90% silver. Melt value today about $1.64. Try to buy one, it’s probably over 2 dollars.

Gititogether September 21, 2021 at 6:53 PM

Many found memories of A&W(s) …Papa burger, onion rings & frosty cold root beer on a hot summer day…yum

mombearto4 September 21, 2021 at 7:26 PM

I remember that one well. Their phone number was only one digit off from ours, and we regularly got phone calls for them

Shoulda Coulda September 21, 2021 at 9:39 PM

There use to be a very cool 2 story A&W
on Main Street, downtown Walnut Creek.

sam malone September 22, 2021 at 8:08 AM

Simplier times bring back those fond memories.

DD September 22, 2021 at 9:13 AM

Great, now I’m hungry.

BadgerMe September 22, 2021 at 9:59 AM

On a hot day I loved getting the 1 quart wax cone and chug it till I got brain freeze.

reekorizzo September 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM

Does that say 1815 Market st?…….did they change the numbering, cuz on Google Maps 1815 is right over the canal and that would not be across the street from Park ‘n Shop………..anyway, my dad was 11 in 1960 and he lived in SF, so I wouldn’t remember.