Claycord Online Museum – Pine Hollow Gardens in Clayton

August 21, 2021 19:00 pm · 10 comments

pine_hollow_gardens

This old advertisement is for the Pine Hollow Gardens subdivision in Clayton.

Carol sent us this flyer, along with the following information….

Attached is the original 1957 real estate flyer for the Pine Hollow Garden subdivision located at Mitchell Canyon and Pine Hollow Road in Clayton.

The homes were constructed by Green and Plambeck. I could be wrong, but I believe this may have been the first subdivision built in Clayton. The flyer was published in 1957 as the construction was started and passed out to visitors at the model home which was located on Mitchell Canyon Road (later moved to Panadero Way). As far as I know, this was the only advertising material distributed for the subdivision.

[The homes in this subdivision were built on the right side of Mitchell Canyon Rd from Pine Hollow to Del Trigo Lane, and on Panadero Way and Panadero Court. From Del Trigo, the subdivision extended from Mitchell Canyon to include the two houses on either side of the street at Panadero Way. The Eichler home facing Pine Hollow was not part of the Pine Hollow Gardens subdivision nor was the large two-story home at the corner of Pine Hollow and Mitchell Canyon.]

Thanks to Carol for this great piece of Claycord history.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

NOTE: Click on the flyer above for a larger view!

H8BART August 21, 2021 at 10:50 PM

25 minutes from Mitchell Canyon to Oakland – wow!! Thanks for this posting. Super interesting seeing a reflection from 1957 Clayton.

Dawg August 22, 2021 at 1:33 AM

That house was probably around $4,500. My mom said she and my dad bought their first home in the City for $6,000, near the zoo. It was one of the new homes that was built after the war in the Sunset District. I would imagine that new homes were a little cheaper in Clayton back then.

Badge1104 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 PM

I think those homes were closer to $12,000 at the time because 10 years later they were selling for around $30,000. That’s when we bought

Gittyup August 22, 2021 at 5:05 PM

They were selling at $25,000 in 1958 for a four bedroom, two bath model which came with a two-car garage and an all electric up-to-the-minute kitchen, advertised to include a dishwasher and garbage disposal. Some models were fully landscaped, also

Allison Plambeck August 22, 2021 at 8:08 AM

Thank you for posting this. My grandfather was very proud to be one of the first developers of Clayton.
Allison Plambeck

Kathleen Perez August 22, 2021 at 9:59 AM

Your grandfather built very nice homes. There are quite a few of them in this area. Conrad and Doris Wilke were great people too. I had the pleasure of knowing them. I still have Christmas ornaments that Doris made for me. Great memories.

Bogey Bob August 22, 2021 at 10:43 AM

1 minute from what planned 18 hole golf course?

Plinko August 22, 2021 at 2:01 PM

Lol….what a dump.
They would be turning in their graves if they could see what’s become of the east bay thanks to liberals.

Badge1104 August 22, 2021 at 2:43 PM

I love these postings, Claycord!
Even though I grew up in the ’60s in that same area I recognized the name plambeck and also Wilkie Realty. Both were around for quite a few years. And yes those were very well built homes and nice neighborhoods.
BTW the “Eichler” home on Pine Hollow what’s the long time home of The Jeffersons who owned the Lincoln dealership on Willow Pass.
Thanks for the memory lane!

Gittyup August 22, 2021 at 4:48 PM

Jefferson was also the founder of the famous Concord Jazz Festival.