The Claycord Online Museum – The Dinosaur in Downtown Concord

August 9, 2021 16:00 pm · 29 comments

dinosaur

dinosaur2

Who remembers the giant dinosaur on top of the old Keenan Heinz Company on East St. in downtown Concord?

The dinosaur was placed on the building just a few years ago, but the company had to take it down after the City of Concord told them they didn’t have the proper permits to put it on the roof.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Old Timer August 9, 2021 at 4:24 PM

You mean they didn’t line someone’s pocket with the money.

Martinezmike August 9, 2021 at 4:44 PM

Good thing that it was removed. According to science, the average Brontosaurus weighed over 30 tons
It’s amazing that the roof didn’t collapse!

Roz August 9, 2021 at 6:16 PM

I remember,….it was huge!
The shop had some cool outdoor garden art, but poor location, no parking.

Anon August 9, 2021 at 6:47 PM

And now the building is VACANT.
Concord chased another business away

DodgerDog August 9, 2021 at 9:17 PM

@Anon: How did Concord chase this business away?

There have been multiple businesses in this location over the past 20 years or more. As someone else has pointed out, poor location and no parking. Not easy access to get in and out.

Cautiously Informed August 9, 2021 at 7:31 PM

Dinosaur – not OK.
Ridiculous and comical waste of money Spirit Poles – A OK

Steven Powers August 9, 2021 at 7:46 PM

It was cool

Jeff (the other one) August 9, 2021 at 7:49 PM

The “permit.” Local government giving us (once) free citizens permission to do something with our own property. Some cases, a permit makes sense. Needing permission from big daddy government for putting a dinosaur decoration atop your building does not.

Anon August 10, 2021 at 9:20 AM

We’re working on a major remodel on my house. Between permits, city fees and school district fees we’ve spent over $20,000. That was before any work was even started. Permits are a total money grab.

Bob August 9, 2021 at 7:51 PM

“Where families come first”

TPC August 9, 2021 at 8:05 PM

And yet the homeless tents continue to pop up and multiply on San Miguel.

Randy August 10, 2021 at 7:43 AM

+1 … and all over everywhere! … but you need a permit to have a dino replica 🙁

Bub August 10, 2021 at 8:38 AM

Big Time camp going on. They should deliver some Port a Potties while they are there.

wesley mouch August 9, 2021 at 9:32 PM

I’d like to see the city officials tell that to a real dinosaur.
And the kids who would immediately befriend it!

hanne jeppesen August 9, 2021 at 9:44 PM

Don’t remember it, but then I only move to Concord in 2008, but have been visiting here frequently since the mid eighties. However when I move to Benicia in 1998 there was a dinosaur by a Chevron gas station, if I remember correctly, it was visible from 680 when coming back to Benicia from Fairfield, wondering if it is the same one?

Rolaids August 10, 2021 at 8:03 AM

Not the same one. You are referring to “Benny”, the transsexual sauropod. Now I’m dead serious. “Benny” was much larger, and more realistic than this Concord long neck. Originally, he was a she, only her name was not Lola, it was “Dixie”. Dixie the Dinosaur lived in the town of Dixon, just before Davis. There are no dinosaurs named David in this story. Dixie lived at a Cheaper! gas station, right next to the freeway. She was a beloved roadside attraction for young and old traveling along Hwy 80. The gas station eventually either closed or changed owners. Dixie was airlifted to the Cheaper! HQ in Benicia, and installed overlooking the freeway, but barely. As she transitioned from Dixon to Benicia, she also transitioned from Dixie to Benny. This was many years before Bruce transitioned to Caitlyn.

WC Resident August 10, 2021 at 8:32 AM

The dinosaur by 680 to the east of Benicia is now in a field near Dixon. https://localwiki.org/davis/Dixie_the_Dinosaur She’s still visible in Google maps at https://goo.gl/maps/NVncLKoGoqcjBscn8

“Dixie” was much larger then the one in Concord and seems to be constructed from concrete or plaster over a frame.

WC Resident August 10, 2021 at 8:42 AM

Correction – “Dixie” was made of fiberglass according to https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/what-happened-to-dixie-the-dinosaur/103-551385358

Like the one in Concord, Dixie also never got added to the zoning code.

Shoulda Coulda August 10, 2021 at 12:04 AM

hanne-

No it wasn’t the same dinosaur. Here’s the story.

JazzMan August 10, 2021 at 5:39 AM

1. I believe it was an Apatosaurus, not Brontosaurus. 2. The same thing happened with the restaurant where Agave is now. They had a taxi out front, and the city made them take it away. Again, permit issues.

Rolaids August 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM

@JazzMan. If I’m not mistaken, a brontosaurus IS an apatosaurus, or vice versa. Some sort of taxonomic correction. Like the later named apatosaurus was better defined and then later they realized brontos were the same animal, or something like that. In casual conversation, I still use brontosaurus, because of its rich cultural legacy, the same way I casually consider Pluto the ninth planet, or call bison buffalo.

Kauai Mike August 10, 2021 at 5:56 AM

Yep, pre-progressive-government, Concord had all kinds of small town charm.

Now, with the emphasis on tax grabs & coddling corporations you have what was once a quaint friendly downtown turned into corridors of faceless tall buildings full of people afraid to navigate the homeless, criminals, and covid-laden immigrants that fill our pot hole riddled streets.

Well Folks August 10, 2021 at 8:47 AM

The last of I know of the dinosaur and the shop were in Lafayette. What is interesting is the location in Lafayette wasn’t a great location and had lousy parking. I don’t go to Lafayette very often when I’m in the area and when I did I only went as far as El Charo as it was a special place to lunch with my BFF since kindergarten. I need to ask her if the shop and dinosaur are still there when she comes up here in a couple of weeks

nytemuvr August 10, 2021 at 11:26 AM

@Well Folks…. El Charro closed up shop a couple of months ago.

Well Folks August 10, 2021 at 4:03 PM

nytemuve
Yes I know El Charro closed. And I have the butter garlic bleu cheese dip recipe. Sadly the Franks estate sold the property to a developer and there are to be town house or condos built on it. Not sure how that will work with the slope on the property and to be honest I’m in no hurry to see it.
At this point there is absolutely zero reason to visit Lafayette when I’m in the area. The Roundup isn’t that big of a draw for me

American Citizen August 10, 2021 at 10:56 AM

Classless. The dinosaur was cool and made kids happy.

Rolaids August 10, 2021 at 2:45 PM

@American Citizen. AGREED. Any city with the motto: “Where Families Come First” should wave permits fees for anyone wanting to publicly display a life-sized dinosaur. Forget all the solar panel, drought landscaping, new appliances incentive programs. The city should be trying to identity sites for potential dinosaur installations. We can be “Dinosaur City USA”. It’s our last and best hope to be, you know, “world class”.

Mike August 10, 2021 at 6:11 PM

I found a video of the store on Youtube! Kinda neat. I think that spot would make a really neat coffee shop/cafe, if you utilized part of the field behind it for parking and created some unique outdoor seating space. When I was in Tennessee a few years ago, two women bought out a closed down Jiffy Lube and converted it and a small field area in to a really neat coffee/sandwich shop with a nice outdoor seating area. We really need a good family owned coffee shop in Concord.

nytemuvr August 11, 2021 at 12:46 AM

That green building is an old auto machine and parts shop, on East St. and Sunset St., I remember going into that shop with my Dad in the 50s. It was west of the old train depot, when the train depot was torn down Concord’s first “self-serve spray car wash” was put in there (across the street from Cliff’s Shoe Repair). Back in the 70s there was an air-filled (maybe fiberglass) dinosaur on that roof that the city made them take down. I remember that one as being on the roof on the front of the building facing East St. though, maybe not???