The Claycord Online Museum – King Norman’s Wonderland in Concord

June 23, 2021 14:00 pm · 32 comments

norman

The Wonderland was located in the Park-N-Shop center on Willow Pass, near where McDonald’s is currently located.

Thanks to Ellen Woodrow for the picture!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Jeff (the other one) June 23, 2021 at 2:22 PM

this is cool to see.

Dawg June 23, 2021 at 2:36 PM

Before I even read the article, I knew it must have been Easter by the way everybody is dressed. Is that Ellen and Mark in the boat?

Shoulda Coulda June 23, 2021 at 4:45 PM

Dawg-

It could have been on any Sunday after going
to church. Families use to wear their finest
Sunday Go To Meetin’ clothes back then.

Simonpure June 24, 2021 at 12:06 PM

Shoulda~This photo is of King Norman’s Wonderland in Concord. It was taken on Easter in 1961 and features Ellen Woodrow and Mark Woodrow.

Shoulda Coulda June 23, 2021 at 4:37 PM

We came out from Minneysooootah on
vacation to visit relatives. My aunt took
all us kids to King Norman’s Wonderland.
I recall having so much fun driving the small
tractors they had. I know the train was moved
to Pixie Playland. King Norman also had several
toy stores around the Bay Area.
Below is someone’s home movie taken back then.

Roz June 24, 2021 at 6:32 AM

Thank You for sharing the video of the movie.
Smiled the whole time watching it.
In 1956, I was not born yet, but I was on rides at Disneyland in 1957, while my Mother was 3 month pregnant with me,… LOL!
My parent moved back to the Bay Area in 1960.

Dummy June 23, 2021 at 4:55 PM

Where is all the tattoos and purple hair ?
No homeless camps in the background ?
Times have sure changed …….

Roz June 23, 2021 at 5:35 PM

Oh,…this is Cool!
So much I still don’t know about Concord before I moved here.

Badge1104 June 23, 2021 at 7:01 PM

Concord used to be a wonderful community with decent middle-class , plus some slightly above average families. Nice well maintained neighborhoods too. This lasted well until the 80s but in the last 20 years has certainly sunk. I thought this picture was on Easter too but it could have been any Sunday. We did dress in those days. We also had courtesies

Always Right June 23, 2021 at 6:41 PM

Back when Concord actually put families first.

Now replaced by massage parlors, vape shops, cannabis retail…sad.

We still have a few kid-friendly places left like Pixie Playland, but we have lost so many without replacing them.

Mark the Shark June 23, 2021 at 8:02 PM

All i hear in these comments is a bunch of old people crying about how concord used to be more racist and uninclusive. Its called progress people. Concord is the most successful city in the entire county and a place i have called home for my entire life. Sorry we dont have fake disneyland teacups in park n shop anymore. We actually have real businesses now run by real Concordians. Sure its a cute picture of some kids dressed up in nice clothes in the 60’s. But i see happy cute kids and families in our city every single day here. Have some pride for our great community which we all helped build since then. We have come so far. If you want to live in concord in the 60’s with no diversity or connection to reality, then move to Lafayette.

anon June 24, 2021 at 2:39 AM

Apparently, you must make your own people a minority in your own city and nation, or else you are an exclusionary racist.

This reasoning, which is shockingly popular among the center and left today, is never applied to any non-European or North-American country. Never.

DF June 24, 2021 at 7:34 AM

yeah progress….the taxes residents pay and they still have to suffer homeless encampments…its obscene

Well Folks June 24, 2021 at 9:02 AM

Mark the Shark
Don’t buy for one moment how idyllic Concord “was”. There was a chapter of the KKK, a black person hanged at BART, an anti-gay city council member that wanted to impose a ban on gays working or having businesses in Concord and that same council member didn’t even live in Concord.
And as for them living in Lafayette, they would not fit in. The average household in Lafayette has at minimum 2 bachelors degrees or higher.

DF – perhaps if life was more affordable there wouldn’t be so many homeless. It’s bad that most households have to have 2 people working to afford to live in Concord.

bdml June 24, 2021 at 9:43 AM

That’s great Mark all I hear from you is the ranting of some loser that was kicked out of his parents basement that now has to face real world issues not the crap you are spoon fed on your phone…

Badge1104 June 23, 2021 at 8:40 PM

Get off it Mark. No one said anything about racism or whiteism. It was the way people were decent and polite and respectful that mattered. I’m sick and tired of so many people equating everything of America’s past with racism. It’s you that are the racist now. And I see great division coming in the country by what the media and the left wingers are all sowing this discontent. You may have not have liked America’s Happy Days, but you’re definitely going to destroy them as we already see happening.
In fairness to you, you are right that there are pockets of very nice families & people still in Concord. It’s just there’s so much grunge surrounding it.

nytemuvr June 23, 2021 at 8:46 PM

@Mark the Shark…My exact wording to your comment would be monitored away so I’ll just say…”Go self-fornicate”….have a good day.

Crazytech58 June 23, 2021 at 8:54 PM

Mark, whatever you are smoking, it must be good. Have you actually been to park and shop lately?? Crime, homeless bodies sleeping all over the sidewalks, garbage strewn, NOBODY wants to shop there anymore because of the likelihood of being robbed or their car being broken into, so half of the property is vacant, and sun valley mall is not much better…… so concord is doing well ???

Sandy G June 23, 2021 at 9:52 PM

Why can’t I see Marks comment? A number of people responded to him. I can’t figure out what they’re talking about.

Simonpure June 24, 2021 at 7:06 AM

Good morning Sandy…it’s 5 above your post.

Glen June 24, 2021 at 12:11 AM

Off topic but,

Does anyone know where the little side road diner was at in the movie ‘The Wild Ride’ with Jack Nicholson?

I drove down Farm Bureau Road and thought this may have been the street.

To Do List June 24, 2021 at 9:49 AM

If you Google “Remembering John Jawad’s Pioneer Inn in Downtown Clayton” there are a few stories on it.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 24, 2021 at 6:00 PM

At the time the movie was filmed it was “Chubby Humble’s” Pioneer Inn
in downtown Clayton.
You can see it if you fast forward to 45:00 minutes into the movie when all the hep cats & twin pipe Papas go to Chubby’s with their chicks.

glen June 24, 2021 at 7:02 PM

Thanks,

Is the diner in the opening shot, just after the accident -is that Pioneer Inn too?

Glen June 24, 2021 at 7:16 PM

LOL,

The prices! cool memorabilia, Chubby’s!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ 114334087397? _trkparms=aid%3D1110006% 26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM %26ao%3D1%26asc %3D20200818143132%26meid% 3Dfa287a79cea74b018dc64fc41a2317d6 %26pid%3D101198%26rk% 3D6%26rkt%3D12% 26sd%3D373509295317%26itm% 3D114334087397%26pmt%3D0% 26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675% 26algv%3DDefaultOrganic& _trksid=p2047675.c101198.m1985

Dr. Jellyfinger June 25, 2021 at 7:37 AM

@ Glen ~ No…. that place is somewhere out in the delta.
Clayton does not have a river or boat docks.

Stevie June 24, 2021 at 7:00 AM

Mark is saying he helped build the homeless encampments in Concord.

ConcordRes2 June 24, 2021 at 8:12 AM

My first skydiving experience was at King Normans when I jumped out of the plane 😂. I was told some of the rides moved to Pixie Playland not sure if that is true.

Shoulda Coulda June 24, 2021 at 1:07 PM

ConcordRes2-

Yes, some of the rides were moved to Pixie Playland.
The train that you can see in the link I posted above
has been operating for at least 66 years. I rode on it
as a kid and my daughter rode on it when she was a
child. That train has probably traveled enough miles
to have gone around the world several times. I’m not
sure which other rides were relocated but maybe
someone out there knows of more.

sam malone June 24, 2021 at 9:06 AM

Mark the Shark must be part of the leftist entitlement crowd and the leftist media. My heritage is 3 immigrant grandparents who came him from Itay, who dug ditches and went to night school to be come citizens and did not such off of the system. We are way to proud and wanted to contribute to society and not drain it and complain about our lot in life. My deceased relatives and we today, pay more than our fair share of taxes and I am personally sick and tired of being classified as racist. We became good citizens and believe in the American way. We do not expect a free ride off of others hard work and money.

I have been accosted by homeless, black people who called me a “white _ _ _ _ __” you fill in the blank and have had my car and home broken into.

Am I disguisted by the way the country is going-damn straight. We have gone in the wrong direction and it is not helping any of us. We need to get back to decency, not printing money like it is going out of style, over taxing citizens who have worked their behinds off to make something of themselves (I am disabled) but still work and not use that as an excuse to suck the system dry. I volunteer to help others so stop shoving the leftist media crap down our throats. California is a perfect example of a great state that has been flushed.

From Biden-Harris-Newsom-Becton and all the other Soros backed idiots wake up not all of us are as stupid as you lump us all together and feel we need nanny government.

Do I sound upset you betcha. Let some of the conservative news be on the airways and media as much as the leftist controlled media crap we are forced have thrown in our faces each day and every way. Tell both sides not just one.

The younger generation that I have spoken to are so much in the dark they know little about history and are the lost souls that need exposure to both sides to make fair and level headed decisions.

Why is that not happening not just here in the US but worldwide?

mohairs June 24, 2021 at 11:04 AM

Hi, I think the text for this post was taken from a previous one as there is no longer a McDonald’s located in Park-n-Shop. 🙂

Anonymous June 25, 2021 at 2:49 PM

The only place we ever went on Easter Sunday was church.