The Water Cooler – Do You Conserve Energy During Extreme Heatwaves?

June 18, 2021 12:00 pm · 26 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

QUESTION: When it’s extremely hot outside, do you conserve energy by setting your thermostat to 75 or above, or do you like to keep your home cooler?

Talk about it….

Mimi (original) June 18, 2021 at 12:03 PM

When I am at work, and just the dogs and cats are home, the A/C is set at 80. When I’m home after 4pm the A/C drops to 77, still not quite cool enough for me, but I make due.

stove June 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM

We do much out of the ordinary, like we never turn the thermostat below 80 anyways and we dont do much in the house on those conserve days, only we do laundry/dishwasher after midnight.

whome June 18, 2021 at 12:14 PM

Not when the elite are not saving energy, LOL

Martinezmike June 18, 2021 at 12:15 PM

Yes Somewhat. Luckily, I’m a very cool person no matter what the temperature is. 😎

Hill June 18, 2021 at 12:23 PM

I keep it around 71. But I don’t run anything else, like dishwasher, washing, dryer and try to keep anything unnecessary turned off.

Dawg June 18, 2021 at 12:25 PM

My habits never change, I don’t conserve energy in the sense that it’s good for the environment, I conserve energy because I’m cheap. I don’t leave the lights on when I don’t need them, and the TV is only on when I’m watching it. I turn off the pilot light in the furnace during the summer months, and I don’t like air conditioning, I don’t even use the A/C in the car, I’d rather have the windows open, or the top down. So it’s a win-win for me and the environment.

Badge1104 June 18, 2021 at 12:33 PM

Yes, we do. We even suffer for it. We even reduce watering and baths. Again sacrifice.
Get we are still penalized by our utilities with higher billings because we use what we do.
BUT, frankly we’re getting tired of this all. We supposedly live in such a rich state, that the governor says rivals European nations, but we’re kind of living like a third world country too. We need more power plants and we need more water dams. Would solve the problem.

Man-in-Brown June 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM

I have heavily insulated my attic. Insulated all walls and installed double-panel windows. Put shades on the outside of the windows so the sun never hits them. My house stays at least 20° cooler than outside. The a/c is set to 78° and doesn’t come on until the afternoon. It shuts off at 9:30 pm. The only bad time is when the house doesn’t cool down at night. I’m thinking about getting a whole-house fan for those 5-10 days a year when that happens.

Roz June 18, 2021 at 2:12 PM

@Man-in-Brown~
A friend of mine has 2 houses. The one she rents out, was told, a whole house fan wouldn’t fit in the attic space she had. The house she live in, she had one put in and loves it. The only down fall is windy dusty days, the house gets dirt inside quick and fire/smoke days,…doesn’t want to open windows.

Bella June 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Set to 78. Even had it totally off when it was comfortable in the home for a few hours in the late afternoon. When I got too warm, I adjusted it. I will conserve, but not suffer.

Originalk G June 18, 2021 at 12:41 PM

When home alone will up AC setting to 78 depending on indoor humidity level.

After sunset as temp goes below indoor temp, open couple widows higher up wall than others and set in 20″ box fans pointing out, then open widows at other end of house. Fans run all night, as cool air travels thru house building materials give up heat that they built up during the day. By morning house has dropped usually below 68 degrees.

Suggestion, put some bottled water in freezer, if you have to go outside put a frozen bottle in back pocket. Will give you some contact cooling and when you need a drink, small amount of melted water cools your core body temperature and you don’t end up drinking whole bottle at once.

Me June 18, 2021 at 12:56 PM

No. I don’t like air conditioning, so I leave the windows and blinds closed when it gets too hot. It keeps the temp in the house cool enough for me without air conditioning. If it doesn’t cool down at night, I’ll turn it on (at 80) for a little while before bed, but won’t leave it on all night. Other than the fridge, we don’t use our major appliance very often and rarely on weekdays, so the request to not use those in the evening, doesn’t really impact me.
The state has made efforts to move to green electricity (which is great), but they obviously haven’t invested sufficiently in sources to store that power so they can meet the demands of the people. These requests to conserve and threats of rolling blackouts due to demand when the sun goes down make it seem like we live in a third world country.

Roz June 18, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Yes, We conserve. I check the weather a week ahead to see how hot days are going to be. Do some batch cooking ahead, so left overs can be cooked out on the grill for dinner. Keep house cool with fan and the air conditioner set at 82. Laundry & dishes early AM,…same for well water pump too. If too hot, it is a good reason to have a water balloon fight,…the new neighborhood kids love it!

Gittyup June 18, 2021 at 2:10 PM

Sorry, but last year my AC wasn’t working, so I’m making up for it this year. I had to sit around in the dark with all the windows open breathing the smoke from those fires that turned the skies orange … and somebody prowling my backyard. It was really a nightmare. There isn’t much to do sitting around in the dark … you can’t even see your navel for purposes of contemplation.

Randy June 18, 2021 at 2:15 PM

… yes but it shouldn’t be necessary…. the political leadership is and has been unwilling to properly address power & water shortage…. with the reported $76B in state surplus why isn’t Newsom investing heavily while allowing unprecedented growth?

Winnie The Pooh June 18, 2021 at 2:18 PM

Our AC is set at 79 with fans in each room to help keep cool and all the blinds in the house are shut to keep the house some what dark. Trying to do our part (unlike some folks) in hopes the power doesn’t get shut off.

Bdpirate June 18, 2021 at 2:40 PM

We have solar with 2 dozen backup storage batteries so I will not conserve period, dont have to.Our 2 story is a nice comfortable 72. Even on 110 days.
Pge bills..don’t even care anymore we aren’t dependant on them.

Hill June 18, 2021 at 2:43 PM

I would like to point out that it also has a lot to do with where people live . I lived in a house with lots of trees and tile floors, rarely ever turned on the A.C. Right now I’m in an upstairs apartment in the direct sunlight. We keep the blinds close but still have to run the A.C a lot.

Dorothy June 18, 2021 at 2:45 PM

Years ago I had ceiling fans installed in every large room and bedrooms. It does reduce the A/C use set at 82. But when temps go over 100 it does come on a few times. If it seems to be on for too long, I bump it up to 83 or 84.

dinkydau June 18, 2021 at 2:51 PM

I’m in my early 70’s. I have good health but not the best. Lived here in PH all my life since 1948. I lived in Poets Corner. Grew up many years without AC. My elementary and high school, did not have AC. Classes were let out if the temp was over 100 in the classroom. About 5pm, my father would hose down the house with a water hose to help cool the oustide. Slept many nights on the patio in the summer due to the heat in the house. I live in a Condo conversion. Have dual windows and the ductless type AC. Just turned it on when I got home. I’m going to have it comfortable and not in the high 70’s. Not going to deal with the heat anymore. I work outside in the heat. I do not have all the lights on in the place. Only 1 lamp and the TV going. So where I am, I have the light on and where I am not, the lights are off.
I do not wait at Safeway or Costco in line for gas with my engine running, wasting fossil fuel, AC going, and windows up for at least 15min. What gonna save under $2.00 if I wait there rather than Rotten Robbie with no lines and maybe 5 or 10 cents more. Big deal.
So thats my 2 cents…..

Exit 12A June 18, 2021 at 5:15 PM

We conserve energy and water every day.
Being wasteful is stupid.

Kentucky Derby June 18, 2021 at 7:43 PM

In this heat wave we have our A/C set at 55. When the bill comes — straight through the paper shredder…

Dr. Jellyfinger June 19, 2021 at 9:34 AM

Yes. I’m conserving MY energy just sitting on my butt with the AC on.
I don’t dig heat waves.

BTW- $ 75 billion surplus could build some desalination plants and maybe some power plants too…. but our Governor has HIS priorities.

JWB June 19, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Ha ha ha Jellyfinger wants the State to build power plants and desalination plants? Q: What does it take to turn Jellyfinger into a Socialist? A: One heat wave. Ha ha ha

Antler June 19, 2021 at 11:25 AM

Sounds like a fine personal survival kit to me, Sir!
(I’m well-supplied with used books from Berkshire to facilitate my own version of your master plan. But I do have to garden in the mornings.)

I’m another who votes YES on having a great number of desalination plants up and down our coast. Shoot…. the Pacific Ocean is right THERE. Politics be damned on that subject!

Dr. Jellyfinger June 19, 2021 at 7:07 PM

No, just fund it thru loans and subsidies to the industries that can do it, as usual…. things like this are needed, it is called infrastructure.
Should the state not do that as they have for so many years already?
Can’t the state designate money specifically for that?
Is that Socialism?
The state certainly can’t run anything on it’s own…. just look at the DMV.
I’d never suggest that.