The Claycord Online Museum – Aerial View Of The Montgomery Ward’s Shopping Mall in Pleasant Hill (Before the Dome)

August 5, 2022 16:00 pm · 14 comments

pleasant_hill

This is a postcard from the City of Pleasant Hill.

It shows an aerial view of the old Montgomery Ward’s shopping mall. The photo was taken in the early ’60s, before the once popular Dome movie theater was constructed in ’67.

The shopping center is no longer a mall, and the dome has been torn down. The center now houses Kohl’s, Dick’s, and a variety of other stores, and is now known as the Crossroads Shopping Center.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Dr. Jellyfinger August 5, 2022 at 4:20 PM

Cool photo. Yep, just to the left of Mayfair Market (where the Dome was later
built) is where Ronald Regan had his RR for Governor rally that I’ve mentioned umpteen times already.

Mayfair Market was cool…. they even had a little Liquor Store inside the supermarket and there was a rack of adult magazines in there.

James August 5, 2022 at 4:28 PM

My paper route 1978-1981 (SF Examiner) included Hookson rd and Mayhew etc.
Almost every house on Hookston had the last name Hook.The entire street was one family and may still be.

Mo August 6, 2022 at 1:55 PM

I own a house on Hookston. None of the immediate neighbors are from the Hook/Hookston family. Although a member of the family used to be on the vacant land across the street a lot (where the Oak Gate homes are now).

Used to be nice and quite. Now the vehicular traffic is maddening.

Martinezmike August 5, 2022 at 4:38 PM

Was there a time when someone said “What a great looking photo, let’s make a postcard out of it!”

Cyn August 5, 2022 at 8:08 PM

Lol.

DD August 5, 2022 at 5:09 PM

My Father helped install the dome (which isn’t there yet.) Used to love the Christmas displays at Wards!

TPC August 5, 2022 at 5:24 PM

Cool I grew up here and remember going shopping at Ward’s with my dad. They had free popcorn. Don’t remember it before the dome, though. Saw a lot of movies there.

Cautiously Informed August 5, 2022 at 5:56 PM

Monkey Wards.

Plinko August 5, 2022 at 9:45 PM

Why did they call it monkey wards?

Dawg August 6, 2022 at 12:04 AM

I’ve heard a couple of stories. One was that they used to offer monkey’s for sale through their catalog, another was that a store in Texas had a display with monkeys. I always thought it was just a play on words.

DD August 6, 2022 at 6:11 AM

I always guessed it was easier than pronouncing “Montgomery.”

Jojothecircuseclown August 6, 2022 at 6:21 AM

Bought my first shotgun there at Ward’s … Mossberg autoloader … shot plenty of delicious quail and dove with that baby. I think my brother-in-law took it with him when he moved from SoCal back to Ecuador … he had enough of the BS in Khaliphorniya.

Randy August 6, 2022 at 7:41 AM

… used to have a pretty good gun dept.

whome August 6, 2022 at 5:13 PM

Anyone remember the “Cock and Bull” deli/beer bar between the Dome and Wards, located on the exterior of the strip mall?

I worked there in the mid/late 70’s. When I received a raise (from $2.00 to $2.25/hr.), I was living high! I bought an early 70’s Pontiac Grand Am…

When that place grossed over $300 a day, it was a very good day…