The Claycord Online Museum – King Norman’s Wonderland in Concord

June 15, 2022 14:00 pm · 12 comments

norman

This photo is of King Norman’s Wonderland in Concord. It was taken on Easter in 1961 and features Ellen Woodrow and Mark Woodrow.

The Wonderland was located in the Park-N-Shop center on Willow Pass, near where McDonald’s is currently located.

Thanks to Ellen Woodrow for the picture!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Pic June 15, 2022 at 2:17 PM

Yes! Thanh you Ellen Woodrow for sharing. Nice to see
How things were then.

dinkydau June 15, 2022 at 4:05 PM

Went to King Normans many times in the mid 50’s.. They even had Quarter Midget race cars too. King Norman had his toy store there and he had a TV show.

Randy June 15, 2022 at 4:12 PM

The McD’s at Park n’ Shop on Willow Pass moved out long ago

Coggins Ssquare June 18, 2022 at 12:02 PM

Correct, the Park ‘N Shop McDonalds shut down at least 6-7 years ago now!!

Badge1104 June 15, 2022 at 6:22 PM

People sure dressed nice back then!
Most people dress cheap & pretty tacky now a days. (Including myself)

Silva June 16, 2022 at 10:21 PM

You really couldn’t leave the house dressed like we do nowadays, you’d be followed by shocked and horrified gazes and whispering everywhere you went, and you’d be instantly labeled “trash”, and you would never outlive it, until the end of the 1960s. When that happened people eventually got used to it, and it slowly became accepted that real ladies also wore pants, and could even go downtown without wearing gloves.

MonumentMan June 15, 2022 at 7:35 PM

I remember going there on the weekends. The train and most of the rides are now at Pixie Playland out atWillow Pass Park.

Silva June 16, 2022 at 10:10 PM

The first location was at Lake Merritt. They were there along with Fairyland for a little bit. Now that was some great fun. We missed them when they relocated, and by the time we found out where they were it was many years later, and I’d outgrown that whole scene.

S June 17, 2022 at 5:39 PM

AHhhhhh Fairyland….

I still have the plastic elephant key for the box that would tell you stories and work on the zoo side too.

I’ll say circa 1960’s…. ??

S June 17, 2022 at 5:48 PM

I must correct myself… I just went to look at it… It is more of a crown looking key…..

I do have an elephant key, but I’ve no idea where that was from….

🙂

nytemuvr June 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM

@S….”All the animals in the zoo are jumping up and down for you….”

S June 19, 2022 at 7:56 AM