Claycord Online Museum – Take an Excursion to the Beautiful Mount Diablo Country (1922)

April 7, 2022 14:00 pm · 9 comments

sfcall

This advertisement, which featured an opportunity to travel to the beautiful Mount Diablo Country, was placed in the San Francisco Call newspaper in 1922.

For $1 (round trip), you could travel by train from Oakland to Walnut Creek and Concord to check out the “country full of pleasure to the lover of nature”.

Click on the image for a much larger view.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

idiots everywhere April 7, 2022 at 2:46 PM

Now there was a rail line I could get behind.

Randy April 7, 2022 at 2:56 PM

… I’ll get in my time machine and go back to 1922 and take that train ride…. I’m sure it was awesome back then

nytemuvr April 7, 2022 at 3:45 PM

@Randy….I wonder if you were forced to wear a mask because of the Spanish Flu a couple of years earlier?

S April 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM

I doubt it, nytemuvr

Brushing your teeth didn’t even become common place until about WWII; so who cared about a mask……….

🙂

The Wizard April 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM

I bet Joe Biden was on that train.

Jo Jo the Circus Clown April 7, 2022 at 10:58 PM

I heard a story … before the settlers demonized this lovely landmark with the title of “Diablo” (Spanish for Devil) … the indigenous inhabitants claimed it was holy Land.

Noj April 8, 2022 at 9:42 AM

When baptized Indians fled the missions and persuasion failed to get them back, soldiers were sent to retrieve them. In 1805 soldiers tried to capture Indians in a marsh north of Concord and, when the Indians completely disappeared into an eerie thicket in the night, the soldiers named the area “Monte Diablo” (thicket of the devil).

Noj April 9, 2022 at 9:50 AM

Their shellmound was located on Maltby Way.

Duck April 9, 2022 at 5:15 PM

Did they eat curry down at the creek? Oh, wrong type of Indian’s, sorry!!!