The Water Cooler – It’s Comfort Food Week – What’s Your Favorite Comfort Food?

January 19, 2022 12:00 pm · 42 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

It’s officially Comfort Food Week in Concord (click here to learn more).

QUESTION: What’s your favorite comfort food?

Talk about it….

Martinezmike January 19, 2022 at 12:03 PM

Lasagna. ( not vegan or low calorie )

Tired January 19, 2022 at 12:05 PM

Freedom with a side of liberty

Haven’t had that in about 2 years. I miss it.

This authoritarianism that the govt has been shoveling to us tastes like feet

April January 19, 2022 at 12:06 PM

Collards

WC---Creeker January 19, 2022 at 12:17 PM

Mussels in white wine, garlic and butter with some sourdough.

Hanne Jeppesen January 19, 2022 at 1:42 PM

That sounds good. I order the at restaurants where available. I can’t cook them myself, only if they are be frozen. Can’t bring myself to cook live mussels. Being from Denmark and seeing my dad was a potato farmer, potatoes are my favorite comfort food. However, the are high in carbs, so l use the white sweet potato, if l mash them l cook them with butternut squash and/ or celery root. Then mash them with a little butter, cream and sour cream, often l add horseradish for taste. Thanksgiving and Christmas l don’t worry about carbs calories etc. So use regular russet potatoes and lots of butter.

Bill January 19, 2022 at 12:22 PM

Comfort Food! Show me the menu, I’m sure I’ll find something good.

Kentucky Derby January 19, 2022 at 12:24 PM

Pizza!

Simonpure January 19, 2022 at 12:26 PM

Actually anything my wife makes…now if we were Roz’s neighbors I would really be fat. Shout out girl…hope all is well.

Roz January 19, 2022 at 1:33 PM

Simonpure~
HA!, I thought the same thing if your Missy was doing the cooking and we lived next door. FYI, my Hubby makes a darn good beef stew. 🙂

Old Timer January 19, 2022 at 12:36 PM

Pot Roast mashed potatoes gravy and corn.Followed by gravy on bread.

Paul January 19, 2022 at 12:40 PM

Cold pizza with beer!
Menudo con patas or Vietnamese pho for hang over.

Randy January 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM

Homemade spaghetti with garlic bread

Pat January 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM

It’s a tie between raw vegetables with Ranch and chips/onion dip.

Exit 12A January 19, 2022 at 12:57 PM

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes n gravy, and green peas.
Ahhh…. Home, sweet home..

nytemuvr January 19, 2022 at 1:27 PM

Frozen chicken pot pies. When my Dad, who hated them, worked nights my Mom would cook them for dinner. They’re my guilty comfort food as Marie Calendars still uses lard in the dough and taste like I remember. My favorite comfort food is Grandma’s fried apricot pies of which I can duplicate but they don’t have Grandma’s “touch”.

To Do List January 19, 2022 at 1:32 PM

Lasagna.

Cowellian January 19, 2022 at 2:04 PM

Meatloaf with macaroni and cheese

Gittyup January 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM

Potatoes, unfortunately, with lots of butter, salt,and pepper.

Dawg January 19, 2022 at 2:14 PM

Anything Sicilian, with lots of garlic and olive oil. In my opinion, it’s so much better than the food in mainland Italy. It has a touch of Greek, French, Arabic, and Spanish flavors.
My second choice is anything French, including escargot.

Badge1104 January 19, 2022 at 2:14 PM

Hot bread from the oven with lots of butter.
Plus a bowel of hot soup!

chuckie the troll January 19, 2022 at 2:35 PM

Is alcohol a food? Asking for the people who are too afraid to ask.

French fries or tater tots come to mind, and yes, the carbs are a problem. We had deep-fried catfish, white beans and slaw at a neighbor’s house on Saturday and they were very comforting.

A good old-fashioned southern Thanksgiving Dinner is comforting if someone else does the cooking. Tonight, we are going out and I might have a burger with fries and a beer. So many choices…

Tod January 19, 2022 at 2:44 PM

Crispy and juicy southern fried chicken (dark meat), mac and cheese, greens, and cornbread!

No Excuses January 19, 2022 at 3:07 PM

As long as it’s stuffed with at least Three kinds of Chocolate~~~ I’m good! 🙂

Jeff (the other one) January 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM

I just like food, so anything in front of me would have been a comfort food (I have since needed to reduce the quantity-and quality- of intake). I guess to pick a favorite, nice warm, bloody ribeye steak, at that perfect rare to medium rare state, not too hot…

Dr Jellyfinger January 19, 2022 at 6:12 PM

Jeff – Try Chuck Eye Steak – very much like Ribeye…super quality at half the price!

The Chuck Eye comes from the rear portion of the shoulder, which is not overly exercised, so it is very tender…. nom!

Jeff (the other one) January 20, 2022 at 3:41 PM

Good Dr.

probably have had it, I am frugal, some would say cheap, if nothing else, and do know about those “cheaper” pieces of meat that are tender and packed with flavor. My waist line (and blood chemistries) would prove I know this…thank you for the suggestion; I will definitely look for said cut.

Bad Nombre January 19, 2022 at 4:39 PM

Don’t know if I have a favorite but I made chicken livers today and that ranks up there. The dog concurs.

nytemuvr January 19, 2022 at 6:50 PM

@Bad Nombre…A couple of summers ago the clerk at the grocery check-out stand asked if I was going fishing when he scanned the chicken livers. He gave me a weird look when I told him that I soak them in buttermilk and fry them….funny millennials.

Dr Jellyfinger January 19, 2022 at 4:45 PM

Red Beans & Rice – I don’t use Andouille sausage tho…. I use mild sausage or ham then add a little hot sauce when I dish it up. If I make it too spicy nobody else will eat it.

HappyPappy January 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM

Ok Dr J, now I’m drooling, I love that hot stuff. Red beans & rice = yum.
Recipe please.

Dr Jellyfinger January 20, 2022 at 5:25 PM

Well…. OK. This is just the basic recipe I use:
1/2 lb. of small dried red beans or kidney beans (soak overnight in refrigerator)
1/2 lb. Ham or sausage, chopped or use a ham bone or both.
(Honey Baked Hams in Concord sells ham bones and the best ham)
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 large celery rib, sliced
1 cup diced bell pepper
1 Bay Leaf
2 garlic cloves.. smash ’em
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp each – paprika, oregano, thyme
(No salt yet! – adjust with salt & pepper when it is done….it may be salty enough already).
OK… now start cooking.
Lightly brown the chopped sausage in the pot then add the veggies, stir and let them saute for a minute or two, then add 4 cups of water.
Now drain the beans & put ’em in the pot.
Bring to a boil then turn it down to a low simmer just slowly bubbling & add the spices, cover and let it cook for at least 2 1/2 hours, even longer if you like. Just stir occasionally & make sure the beans are cooked till soft and then mash about half of them in the pot to thicken things up. Adjust your spices till it tastes just the way you want it.
(Weber Cajun Seasoning is good to heat it up!)
Serve it over rice….. Nom!

TPC January 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM

Homemade banana pudding with vanilla wafers like Grandma used to make.

nytemuvr January 19, 2022 at 6:40 PM

@TPC….I just made some today except I use the mini vanilla wafers, not as pretty but it works.

S January 19, 2022 at 7:07 PM

earlier I said “Q”, but it didn’t get posted…

Dear Post Screener,
Q = BBQ

🙂

One is too many January 19, 2022 at 9:56 PM

Chicken an’ dumpling soup that’s made with homemade broth. None of that boxed or canned broth. Drool…

Hanne Jeppesen January 20, 2022 at 10:07 AM

I agree my mother use to make chicken soup with homemade dumplings l think they were just made out of flour and butter so not very healthy, but sure hit the spot on cold Danish winter day. Sincey dad was a Gardner all vegetables was fresh from the fields

OverWhelmed January 20, 2022 at 10:11 AM

I roast a whole chicken in the oven we have dinner. The next night I make broth from the bones and the drippings and cut potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, and put the left over chicken in. Homemade chicken soup all natural and healthy, but it sure comforts the soul.

Ricardoh January 20, 2022 at 10:56 AM

I hate to be a party pooper but I can’t think of a favorite. I like a lot of things.

S January 20, 2022 at 6:27 PM

then maybe your answer could be Buffet ???

🙂

I am I said January 20, 2022 at 12:53 PM

New England Clam Chowder

dbcoop January 20, 2022 at 8:16 PM

With crusty sourdough

Carl L West January 21, 2022 at 7:13 AM

Pot roast with root veggies