Red Cross Urging People To Donate Blood As Supplies Historically Low

November 23, 2021 10:00 am · 18 comments

A decade-low blood supply for this time of year has the American Red Cross reaching out to ask residents to consider donating over the Thanksgiving holiday week and into December.

Fewer blood drives at schools and colleges contributed to a 34 percent drop in new blood donors compared with last year, a steep decline that could threaten needed medical care for some people.

The low blood supply is the result of low donor turnout in recent months because of the ongoing pandemic and the delta variant spike over the summer.

The Red Cross is asking people to consider donating blood or platelets, which are cells that help blood clot.

People who give Nov. 24 to Nov. 28 will receive a pair a Red Cross holiday socks while supplies last.

People who give from Nov. 29 to Dec. 16 will receive a $10 Amazon gift card and be registered to win a private screening of the new film “The Matrix Resurrections” for themselves and 50 of their friends.

People who want to donate can make an appointment through the Red Cross donor app, visiting redcrossblood.org or calling (800) RED CROSS (733-2767).

Anonymous November 23, 2021 at 10:14 AM

I’d love to donate but I’m on so many meds my blood would probably kill someone.

Antler November 23, 2021 at 11:52 AM

They do check your Rx med list VERY carefully. I am blood type O positive and used to donate regularly. But my current heart and thyroid support meds make me ineligible to be a donor.

Please everyone, donate if you can!

Dorothy November 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM

I’ in the same boat. I’m O negative but they won’t take me because of health issues. I think I might also be over the top for age also.

Jeff (the other one) November 23, 2021 at 3:28 PM

meds may not cause issue, and importantly, they may be able to use your platelets.

Anonymous November 23, 2021 at 3:40 PM

@Jeff (the other one) – I’m on Xarelto — I don’t have any platelets. Or at least none to spare. 🙁

Jeff (the other one) November 23, 2021 at 6:39 PM

@Anonymous, got it….hope it is effective…and Happy Thanksgiving!

this_that November 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM

Should be an ample supply of blood-clot mechanisms. Is it at least 80% for contra costa county?

Bad Nombre November 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I just made an appointment.

Googlar November 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM

They’ll take my blood but won’t see me without forcing me to pollute it.

Mutts November 23, 2021 at 1:05 PM

No blood, the libs took it all.

Bayslashers November 23, 2021 at 1:49 PM

Does anybody know if those who took covid “vax” can donate blood in CA? I think the answer is yes, but NO in other states? Can anyone confirm?

Didn’t CA also decriminalize knowingly passing diseases to others?

XJ November 23, 2021 at 5:51 PM

They are paying extra for purebloods.

Jessica November 29, 2021 at 8:24 PM

Yes. I’ve donated twice.

stove November 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM

If they paid me id consider giving some, but they dont so they get none.

Martinezmike November 23, 2021 at 6:21 PM

With an incentive like free socks, rhey should have all the blood they need!

Sam Malone November 24, 2021 at 8:45 AM

Well the government has drained our pockets so why should they not drain our life’s blood?

Sorry but as bad as this sounds will never donate blood for non citizens or criminals. Let the Democrats and socialists liberals drain their veins first. As they never give their fair share but only take from hard working citizens to redistribute our earnings.

Bella November 24, 2021 at 9:22 PM

I took the number and use to donate annually as I am O Negative. A very needed blood type.

Jessic November 29, 2021 at 8:29 PM

I’m not sure why they’re asking for blood. I could have donated several times since the pandemic started, but they are severely understaffed and I’ve had to leave 3 times on appointments with 2-hour waits that would “bleed” into work engagements. Very frustrating as a donor.