48 Hour Precipitation Totals From The National Weather Service – How Much Rain Did Concord Really Get?

October 25, 2021 12:50 pm · 28 comments

The National Weather Service has released 48 hour precipitation totals for the Bay Area.

Locally, they claim Concord received just over 3 inches of rain, and Mt. Diablo received over 8 inches of rain.

Several of our weather watchers with rain gauges in the area say Concord received much more – closer to 6 inches of rain within the 48 hour period.

Do you have a rain gauge?

If so, what city do you live in, and how much rain did you get?

Ardath October 25, 2021 at 1:12 PM

Just returned home from the renaissance faire. My rain gauge was full at six inches. We are about 7 miles West of Mt Diablo

Kurt October 25, 2021 at 1:21 PM

I live near the quarry and got 4.5″ in the last 48 hours. 5.3″ total for the week.

Bruce October 25, 2021 at 1:56 PM

I live across from Ygnacio Valley High School and my rain gauge for a 24hr period read 5.7inches!!!!!

WC October 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM

A friend in San Ramon got 7″ in his rain gauge.

Exit 12A October 25, 2021 at 2:13 PM

6.37 inches over 24 hours between 7AM Sunday and 7AM Monday.
3.12 inches? That’s a statistical outlier given the data I have reviewed from various sources.

Deb Shay October 25, 2021 at 2:19 PM

We don’t have a gauge, but a plastic container that is six inches deep and it filled and overflowed.

jp5air October 25, 2021 at 2:26 PM

3.12 for Concord…where was that rain gauge, under a tree? Concord had about 5-6 inches according to people I know with gauges.

MoJo October 25, 2021 at 2:40 PM

Clayton at the foot of the Mountain. Rain gauge said 5.3 inches for 24 hours and a 5 gallon bucket as well as a wheelbarrow were full to the top.

T-Birdie October 25, 2021 at 2:49 PM

That rain gauge in Concord must have been under an umbrella! We don’t have a rain gauge but judging by the water level of our pool we got over 5 inches in east Concord. Glad we didn’t top it up last week or it would have overflowed!

Ricardoh October 25, 2021 at 2:54 PM

Live in the Creek. Don’t have a rain gauge and what I have is not scientific but I left my wheelbarrow right side up and it filled up to the overflow point. Has to be more than 3 inches.

Stove October 25, 2021 at 3:11 PM

Pittsburg, got 6in in my rain gauge for the whole weekend (friday evening to monday morning)

Jane October 25, 2021 at 3:17 PM

Clayton, Morgan Territory Road, 6.92 inches from 7 AM Saturday to 7 AM Monday. We use a home weather station.

John D October 25, 2021 at 3:51 PM

Exactly 6 inchs in San .

Chris Long October 25, 2021 at 4:13 PM

Contra costa county keeps rain gauge records and they show Pleasant Hill received 7 inches October 24th (midnight to midnight).

Cellophane October 25, 2021 at 4:20 PM

Near North Concord Bart.

6 inch gauge overflowed.

Curt October 25, 2021 at 4:27 PM

I live in Bay Point, just across highway 4 opposite the Bay Point Bart station and I have a weather station! I received 5.11 inches of rain!

Dale Nicoll October 25, 2021 at 4:32 PM

I live in Holbrook Heights Concord. Starting 10:00 p.m. Saturday night my 5″ rainguage was totally full Sunday evening I emptied it and had 2′” more showing Monday morning. So I am claiming close to 7 inches.

Get Off My Lawn October 25, 2021 at 4:58 PM

My rain gauge was full and maxes out at 5 inches. Clayton Valley High School area.

Clayton Red October 25, 2021 at 5:12 PM

6.75 inches off Claycord Ave.

Mary Fouts October 25, 2021 at 5:15 PM

In south PH, my backyard weather station totaled 6.71 inches of rain for the storm.

Jeff (the other one) October 25, 2021 at 7:49 PM

You see measurements like this, and then read the data we provide, and they are miles apart. I have a number of receptacles around the yard, all well over 5″. Just about each poster has observed a greater than 3″ rainfall. The data provided by these government services are always so suspect, whether it be climate related, COVID related, crime, anything where data are presented.

94521 October 25, 2021 at 9:23 PM

Got about 6″ in east Concord area

Blueberry October 25, 2021 at 9:54 PM

6.5 inches, east end of The Crossings by Ayers in Concord.

Reasonable October 26, 2021 at 8:48 AM

Crossings at N Larwin and Rising Dawn – 6.5 inches.

Patriot one October 25, 2021 at 10:06 PM

Great to see all these totals but this mean exactly d**k since we can’t keep our reservoirs at more than 75% capacity. Years ago the army core of engineers under Davis and Brown conveniently say all Californias reservoirs were not seismically sound and could rupture if kept at full capacity. At the same time and still today activist and extreme environmentalists will not allow for any new ones to be built and yet the state openly allows for permits to builder’s and land developers to construct huge housing tracks. The system is broken and since we continue to elect complete morons and cave to everyone tree hugging group the state will always have a water shortage. End of story. You want Answers and progress stop electing career politicians and elect people that understand business and aren’t backed by large corporations.

Reasonable October 26, 2021 at 8:51 AM

Yep and why did Seeno get to be the master developer for the naval weapons land. They plan around 13,000 homes in that area plus commercial development.

prairiegirl October 26, 2021 at 7:16 AM

Just off David Ave between Bancroft and Oak Grove, I emptied my rain gauge three times for a total of 6.3″ and am very grateful for the wonderful rain. That is more than I measured for the entire last “rainy” season.

Gittyup October 26, 2021 at 7:27 AM

Monday morning on the city limits of Clayton, very near Mt. Diablo, it was sunny and pleasant outside. I went out to work in the yard sometime around 10:30 AM. It started sprinkling lightly, something like a gentle Spring shower. I decided to finish what I had started because I was protected somewhat by a stand of trees. In minutes it had developed into a full-on downpour coming down in buckets. I finally had to give up and was soaked to the skin by the time I got the yard waste cart back to the patio.

When I watched the noon news later, they were reporting the rain had cleared out early on leaving puffy Cumulus clouds. Their models seemed to confirm that. I know, however, that it rained very hard at least once on Monday for almost an hour. It did in my backyard, anyway. It seemed to me that at the rate it was falling, it could have been a half an inch that wouldn’t be figured into the totals given. So, depending on one’s location, the figures vary. The proximity to Mt. Diablo would seem to explain it.