Claycord Online Museum – Concerts At The Concord Pavilion & An Old Ticket Stub From “Air Supply”

June 25, 2021 14:00 pm · 32 comments

air_supply

The ticket stub shown above is from an Air Supply concert at the Concord Pavilion in 1982.

QUESTION: What was the first concert you ever saw at the Concord Pavilion?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

SF oh June 25, 2021 at 2:21 PM

I don’t remember which show was the first, but I remember seeing Eddie Money, Boz Skaggs, and America there back in the 70s. It’s still a nice place to see a show. We go to 2 or 3 every summer.

Cowellian June 25, 2021 at 2:25 PM

We took the kids to the free 4th of July concert. I think it was the California Symphony playing, but I remember it was a great show.

TTD June 25, 2021 at 3:03 PM

We use to go to the Concord Pavilion all the time; especially, when Bill Graham Presents was in charge of the shows. After he died the quality of the shows went downhill fast! The past few years the pavilion has started booking some good concerts again. We have seen shania Twain, credence Clearwater, rod Stewart, Brittany spears, brooks and Dunn, Earth Wind and Fire, lady Gaga, and many many others! Looking forward to some concerts in the fall

ClayDen June 25, 2021 at 3:04 PM

We went there the night after opening night to see Chuck Mangione.

Sandy G June 25, 2021 at 3:07 PM

Jimmy Buffett used to be there every year right around my birthday.
$10 lawn tickets. Now the Pavillon is too small a venue for him, so he’s at Shoreline. I’m not a fan of Shoreline. Tickets are now over $100 to see him.

Well Folks June 26, 2021 at 8:49 AM

Sandy G
The lawn seats were where the party was happening back in the day. And it was perfect place to pass around a few beach balls during Jimmy Buffett
Sadly around 1995 the Pavilion was considered to small a stage area for a lot of acts. That and the fact shows have to stop by 11pm due to near by housing. But we know some performers break that rule.

Lo June 25, 2021 at 3:11 PM

My first concert was at the Pavilion, Salt & Peppa w/R Kelly and Kid Capri. It was pouring rain, I had won lawn seats from KMEL and my mother was absolutely miserable. LOL

I’ve seen many shows there since then, rarely from the lawn, but absolutely LOVED my lawn seats when I went to see Santana about 10 years ago. That’s some darn good people watching at a Santana show!!

I’ll be back there next summer for Backstreet Boys, in the pit with my girls!

Well Folks June 25, 2021 at 4:33 PM

I worked at the corporate office of BASS from 1976 -1981. Saw plenty of shows at the Pavillion and other venues. And load plenty of ticket stock into printers and unjammed plenty of printers as well. Long finger nails were my friends back then

frambley1 June 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM

I worked there much later, in the 90s. I was there when BASS went from being part of (like a franchise I guess?) Ticketmaster to being part of Tickets.com. They bled cash for years after that.

Well Folks June 29, 2021 at 9:37 PM

frambley1
When I worked there we were not part of Ticketmaster. The primary owner was Jerry Seltzer, with Hal Silen and Willie McCovey minor owners. I was in the main office on 22nd St in Oakland, At that point it was a great place to work
You definitely missed the good times

BOOYAH! June 25, 2021 at 4:51 PM

Anyone remember seeing Waylon Jennings and the Highwaymen?

DD June 25, 2021 at 6:27 PM

Different Concord Pavilion back then.
Hell, different Concord back then.

ConcordKate June 25, 2021 at 6:37 PM

First concert my folks allowed me to go to was Lynard Skynard at the Pavillion. Went to see Air Supply at the 1982 show. Me and my friend tried to sneak backstage. What were we thinking?!!

chuckie the troll June 25, 2021 at 7:09 PM

First concert at the Pavilion was John Denver. It was a hot day everywhere else so I went in short sleeves. Didn’t realize that it could get very cold there in the summer.

TPC June 25, 2021 at 7:53 PM

Journey’s Infinity tour, 1976.

TPC June 25, 2021 at 7:58 PM

Make that 1978.

Regular Guy June 25, 2021 at 8:37 PM

I remember going to see America many years ago. Saw Chicago and a few others too.
However, by far the best experiences were the Country Concert Series in the 90’s, at least until they expanded the pavilion. That was was the destruction of an epic experience. Makes one mindful to grab experiences when you can because it can all disappear in an instant.

Krissy June 25, 2021 at 9:10 PM

Thank You All for sharing!

Bean Burner June 25, 2021 at 9:22 PM

We saw ABBA there in Sept of ’79.

Having lived overseas the previous 6 years, it was basically coming home in time to catch the biggest musical act in the world live and as it turns out, their only US tour.

Bean Burner June 26, 2021 at 5:33 PM

You saw them twice on the same tour?

nytemuvr June 26, 2021 at 8:59 PM

That sounds like some kind of horrible nightmare to me. “Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks”.-Sly Stone

Glen June 27, 2021 at 7:37 PM

nytemuvr,

LOL I’m with you bud!

Gittyup June 25, 2021 at 10:54 PM

I’ve seen three different shows shows there:

Cliff Richards, friend had free tickets
Sheena Easton, cousin’s husband was in
the band, free tickets
The Tubes, friend had free tickets

Givengold June 25, 2021 at 11:33 PM

First ever concert was Elton John, 1976 at the Oakland Arena. 6th grade. Later that summer we saw Captain and Tenille with Bob Sarlotte opening. Didn’t find him funny at all. He later became the stadium announcer for the 49ers. We rode our BMX bikes to see America, Poco and Little River Band in the 8th grade.

Drew1 June 26, 2021 at 9:22 AM

That was my first concert. I took my girlfriend and some other people. How weird is that? That image brought back such a great memory.. Thanks!

RussSayih June 26, 2021 at 9:23 AM

“BASS ticket outlets…..”

Gititogether June 26, 2021 at 11:21 AM

Sawr Cindy Lauper & James Taylor on the same bill. Pavilion (& Water World) were better promoted then and Concord was seen as a safe, fun destination.

Noj June 26, 2021 at 1:32 PM

1. The Everly Brothers who appeared with Fats Domino, Sept 30, 1986
2. Jethro Tull (with Martin Barre), Sept 24.1996
First saw Jethro Tull at the Fillmore on March 13, 1969. Good Times.

Yee June 26, 2021 at 3:22 PM

Glad concord pavilion is getting the Trippie Redd/Iann Dior/Sofaygo tour this fall!

The Fearless Spectator June 26, 2021 at 5:14 PM

The Buddy Rich Big Band.

On a side note, there is quite a market for concert ticket stubs on eBay. I sold a bunch because I like the idea of getting them into the hands of collectors as opposed to the land fill.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 26, 2021 at 5:52 PM

Oh Geez it’s been years since I went to the Pavillion.
I probably saw 12 or more concerts there over the years, plus the 4th of July shows with the California Symphony & the cannons they fired for the 1812 Overture…that was cool!

Last concert I attended was The Steve Miller Band…. Carlos Reyes showed up and performed with them! That was a great show.

Tosebud June 26, 2021 at 10:42 PM

In the 1970’s @ 1980’s free concerts on the 4th of July performed by the Boston Pops with free parking. Free concerts on Labor Day performed by the Oakland Ballet with free parking.