Rare Badger Spotted, Caught On Camera East Of Mount Diablo

November 20, 2020 14:53 pm · 20 comments

A rare badger sighting was recorded by members of an East Bay environmentalist group earlier this month as they were walking along Empire Mine Rd. east of Mt. Diablo.

Members of the Save Sand Creek Steering Committee were taking a hike on Nov. 8 to celebrate the passage of Measure T, a citywide ballot initiative that limits development in the Sand Creek area.

As they were strolling along, they spotted a juvenile American badger, which “vanished” from the area in the 1970s but is making a comeback due to preservation efforts, according to a newsletter sent out by Save Mount
Diablo Friday.

“The badger highlights the importance of preserving and protecting Mount Diablo’s lands,” according to the newsletter.

“Each badger pair needs about 3,000 acres of land for its territory. Now that more than 120,000 acres has been preserved and is managed for wildlife in the Diablo region, badgers are continuing to return,” the newsletter says.

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Mom2Boys November 20, 2020 at 3:04 PM

I love this! My parents have a home with the backyard being Empire Mine Rd. We walk that road frequently, hike, bike – I have never seen a badger! This is SO COOL!

Pete V. November 20, 2020 at 4:23 PM

With all the b******t going on right now, I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to see this. He’s close to the road, hope that little guy “stays safe” and thrives along with any other badgers in the area, so cool they’re making a comeback.

Dr. Jellyfinger November 20, 2020 at 6:00 PM

That road is closed to traffic, authorized vehicles, bicycles & hikers only (I think). The guy recording the badger is too close, badgers can be very aggressive and he’s got some loooong claws.

Silva November 20, 2020 at 4:37 PM

❤️ I love this. He or she looks adorable, and friendly. Just don’t try to approach a badger, they are FIERCE.

Fuma November 21, 2020 at 4:55 AM

No they’re not.
Just smother your fist in chocolate and let them lick it.

Stove November 20, 2020 at 4:54 PM

Awesome sight to see around here with all the negative things going on in life!!!!! Ill be looking out for them when I travel that road on my bike.

Ricardoh November 20, 2020 at 4:55 PM

Love it. Had no idea they were anywhere around here. Cute little bugger I mean badger.

Comrade Grandkid November 20, 2020 at 4:57 PM

Totes adorbs. You go little badger. Live your best life.

CJRN November 20, 2020 at 5:41 PM

Well, Ash, it is 2020, so it probably is a honey badger! LOL

MikeyV November 20, 2020 at 6:12 PM

Badgers? Badgers? We don’t need no stinking badgers!!

Crazytech58 November 21, 2020 at 8:46 AM

Lol !! I was thinking the same response when reading this story

Crazytech58 November 22, 2020 at 9:43 AM

Ash, thanks for sharing the link, great movie in it’s un-cut version

Gititogether November 20, 2020 at 6:28 PM

Where there’s one…

Ilovepopcorn November 20, 2020 at 7:49 PM

That Is wonderful news.

Jeff November 21, 2020 at 11:05 AM

Ooooh, watch him eat the ratttlesnake. 108RS

Edi Birsan November 21, 2020 at 1:11 PM

Looks great, though I always wonder when it is reported that XYZ animal is coming back, where were they leave to come to the new place?

slagheap November 21, 2020 at 1:57 PM

good to see, very cool animals. among other things, mature badgers eat a lot of squirrels.

nytemuvr November 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM

@slagheap….They know how tasty squirrels are, it must be hard for them to fry them without opposing thumbs.

Tsa November 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM

GO (WISCONSIN) BADGERS!!!

Dr. Jellyfinger November 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM

I’m kinda proud of myself….. I let this whole story go by for a few days now without being a total smart ass & pointing out that Badgers are not spotted…. they’re striped! Dr. Bitfriski say’s that’s an improvement!