Danville Weekend Street Closures Cancelled Due To COVID-19 Concerns

October 27, 2020 14:18 pm · 66 comments

Faced with repeated COVID-19 health order violations by a handful of downtown Danville food and drink establishments, and capped by an Oct. 17 fight within a section of Hartz Avenue closed to allow outdoor restaurant operation, the Town of Danville will cancel the weekend street closure for the immediate future.

At a special meeting Tuesday morning, the Danville Town Council, along with police Chief Allan Shields, said the weekends-only closure of Hartz Avenue between Diablo Road and Prospect Avenue that started in June ended beginning Oct. 24. Shields and others said police and town staff had seen “gross violations” of, and gotten complaints about, a lack of social distancing and mask wearing among visitors, as well as alcohol being served separately from meals and live, amplified music, which are not allowed. Shields said the businesses — three or four have had repeated problems, he and others said — have been talked to multiple times, and keep saying they’ll comply with the rules, but reverted to violating them again.

“We’ve appealed to all of our businesses… to voluntarily comply with the health order,” Town Manager Joe Calabrigo told the council Tuesday. Calabrigo said closing that one-block portion of Hartz Avenue has, at times, “created almost a Mardi Gras type of atmosphere” there.

Though Danville officials said they know the street closure benefits the establishments along Hartz Avenue in the heart of Danville’s downtown, Councilwoman Renee Morgan said the sort of revelry that has prompted complaints to the town, forced repeated warnings by police and has gotten the attention of county health officials isn’t what town officials are looking for during the COVID-19 pandemic. It has brought Danville unwanted attention recently for recording relatively high numbers for new COVID-19 cases — 35 in the town over the past two weeks.

Councilman Newell Arnerich stressed it is the bad actions of a few businesses that are forcing the actions that affect many.

“We have a few bad actors … but we have a responsibility to protect the public, and the businesses that are doing a great job,” Arnerich said.

Public safety, Councilman Robert Storer said, is the top priority.

“We have no other alternative but to leave the street open,” Storer said.

Mitch October 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM

35 cases? Cases? Cases?

A whopping 2 Covid deaths in Danville outside of LTC facilities. 4 total.

Still waiting for that surge, I’m sure it will be here any day now…..

Patriot October 27, 2020 at 6:32 PM

CDC’s survival rate by age

0-19 99.997%
20-49 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70 + 94.6%

Food establishment death rate will be 100% soon.

California politicians are idiots.

chuckie the troll October 27, 2020 at 2:36 PM

The beatings (to our economy and mental health) will continue until we say so! If I had predicted that we would be living under these restrictions last year, I would have ben locked up for a mental health evaluation. As it is now, anyone who is OK for this level of intrusion into every aspect of our lives needs that mental health evaluation.

Amateur Teacher October 27, 2020 at 2:47 PM

It’s those rowdy college towns ruining it for everyone… wait…

L0L October 27, 2020 at 2:48 PM

The health orders are not legal and a violation of our rights. They are illegitimate and should not be followed.

The blowback and reckoning is coming 🙂

mike October 27, 2020 at 3:53 PM

@LOL – where did you go to law school? What qualifies you to assess whether this is a legal action or not? Let’s leave the legal assessment to the courts and you can share your opinion via the fall election.

L0L October 27, 2020 at 4:49 PM

@mike who died and made you king of whether or not I can speak out as a US citizen?

We are not a technocracy (use your friend google if that’s a big word for you) and we are NOT ruled by “experts”.

mike October 27, 2020 at 6:06 PM

@LOL – we are not ruled by anybody, we are governed. Clearly you are lacking some expertise on your end.

Anon October 27, 2020 at 7:17 PM

Mike, you brought Nothing to the response other than ad hominems.

anon October 27, 2020 at 10:45 PM

@Mike I mean loosely speaking our rights to assemble are being infringed, factually. Only those rioting ahem protesting for BLM and antifa are allowed to assemble.

BORbeliever October 27, 2020 at 11:26 PM

@mike,

We, the people, CONSENT to be governed. L0L is saying that the people might withdraw their consent if their rights continue to be violated.

BORbeliever October 27, 2020 at 11:29 PM

@mike,

As stated in the US Declaration of Independence…

“Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government”

You might want to read it in full sometime.

mike October 28, 2020 at 9:25 AM

@Bor – Thank you for your feedback. I am well aware of the constitution, declaration of independence and american history. I do not agree that your right to assemble is being infringed upon. Nobody is telling you who you can meet with – they are simply saying that because of a public health emergency, group sizes are limited and face covering is encouraged. Nothing prevents you from assembling in a virtual space such as zoom, meet up or claycord. If those platforms were not permitted, then yes, I would agree with you but that is not the case here.

I do not agree with your statement that we consent to being governed. Absent some form of government, we would be in anarchy which is what antifa advocates for. You have every option to change the government by engaging in the political process. Do you engage in the political process or simply complain?

Sam October 28, 2020 at 10:16 AM

@mike
Do you want to know what you not agreeing means? I means you think your opinion overrides the constitution. What kind of snowflake thinks they are so special? You sound like a little baby. Oh gee mike on Claycord think the constitution is wrong 🤣🤣🤣. What a 🤡 thing to say. Your opinion doesn’t mean anything. “CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED” It’s black and white. YOUR OPINION DOES NOT MATTER.

mike October 28, 2020 at 12:40 PM

@Sam – as typical, I think you are misinterpreting or misunderstanding my post. First, I believe that interpreting the constitution and law in general should be left to those who are qualified, attorneys and judges.

Second, I am entitled to my opinion. When I say I do not agree, I am stating my opinion. My opinion does not over ride the constitution. It is simply my opinion. And yes, the constitution guarantees my right to share my opinion.

Third, I do not think the constitution is wrong. I believe very deeply in protecting the sanctity of the constitution. I am simply saying that I believe (my opinion) that you are misinterpreting the constitution. Again, any interpretation of the constitution or law should be left to those who practice law.

Biff Nelson October 28, 2020 at 2:13 PM

@mike “First, I believe that interpreting the constitution and law in general should be left to those who are qualified, attorneys and judges.”

Well, I just read some new laws, interpreted them and voted on them about 15 minutes ago on my ballot. And I’m not a judge or attorney.

Doctors and experts are your priests and gods. They say masks don’t work, you say okay. They say masks work, you say okay.

You regurgitate what the TV told you to think. You’re not a real person, you’re not really there. You’re just an ideology.

Sam October 28, 2020 at 2:16 PM

Thank you for sharing your opinion. You happen to be completely forgetting the times pre Magna Carta and the revolutionary war. I can respect you as someone who is forgetful or who has a different opinion of how thing should be but you don’t get to make your own facts. Consent of the governed is part and parcel to living as free people. The government works for us. This is an absolute fact.

Sam October 28, 2020 at 2:48 PM

That’s it Biff. I have studied law all my life, I have voted for laws all my life. The constitution was written in plain english. What you’re doing mike is called subversion.

Subversion (from the Latin word subvertere, ‘overthrow’) refers to a process by which the values and principles of a system in place are contradicted or reversed, in an attempt to transform the established social order and its structures of power, authority, hierarchy, and social norms.

Mike October 28, 2020 at 5:45 PM

@sam – I’m curious why you have not sued the state to overturn the laws you believe to be illegal. Why not utilize the judicial system for its intended use.

Cowellian October 28, 2020 at 5:52 PM

Don’t bother! The state and cities all pick and choose which laws to obey and which laws they will ignore. You might as well follow their example.

Sam October 28, 2020 at 6:18 PM

We have several lawsuits filed against the governor. Where you been? The wheels of justice turn slowly. But his little larp dictatorship will be ending very soon.
I’m curious why you don’t live in a different country and are attempting to chip away at this one with your subversive posts. Then again maybe you do live in another country. As per the DOJ this morning “The hunters have become the hunted”

18 U.S. Code CHAPTER 115— TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES = 20,000 dollar fine and 20 years in prison

RANDOM TASK October 27, 2020 at 3:15 PM

errrr
yeah i would have thought that danville of all places
would have yanked these establishments liquor licenses
issued fines and shut them down for 30 days

that would hinder those acts real fast

but no as usual the inmates acting out
causes every one abiding by the rules to be kicked in the mouth
by authorities

wow

a nice thing is taken out by a few losers who think they are above the laws

the rest suffer and thats it

wow

if this state is not the poster child for idiocy of poor and weak cities bending over at any sign of ….well disobedience and breaking the law
and punishing all the others to boot

sad that the people the real people of the state that actually care about it and want it to be for everyone
and not some experiment of liberal socialism where criminals prevail and stymie any and all efforts of the hard working public to enjoy the freedom america provides

as a liberal leftist socialist marxist war unfolds before us

demeaning every hard working american in favor of emboldening crime and lawlessness …to create chaos and rule us with fear and abusing our children legally

still waiting for people to realize they are in occupied territory

Tired October 27, 2020 at 3:17 PM

Hot on the heels of the State easing restrictions in CCC to Orange.

This is ridiculous

Let people live their life Danville!

Concerned Citizen October 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM

Has anyone been to downtown Walnut Creek on a Friday or Saturday night recently? Violations everywhere! No social distancing, no masks, tables on top of each other, and seating in the streets with cars driving 3 feet away from them.

I’m waiting for a elderly driver to mow down innocent diners at they eat they dinner in the street.

Oh and no cops anywhere. I guess laws don’t apply anymore seeing as these days people do what they want when they want…

Anon October 27, 2020 at 4:31 PM

The police stood down when Broadway plaza was looted, they can stand down for this too.

Aunt Barbara October 27, 2020 at 4:44 PM

Mayor Luella is fast asleep in bed and can’t be bothered with after hours in Walnut Creek, MOSTLYbecause it’s all Pittsburg, Antioch, Oakland and Pinole coming in. Everyone should pay a visit, dine outside and enjoy the Loud blaring engines, music and Prostitution going on on Main St.. Welcome the new Dem run Walnut Creek

annonmom October 27, 2020 at 4:53 PM

We tried outdoor dining in WC, never again. cars so close you can touch them.

anon October 27, 2020 at 10:44 PM

@aunt babs

surely you jest? Is there now open prostitution going on in Walnut Creek?

Ilovepopcorn October 27, 2020 at 11:33 PM

Why would anyone want to eat out along the edge of a busy street anyway? I am surprised that they allow all those folks to sit so close and without masks! Do they think they are attending a Trump rally?

Dr. Jellyfinger October 28, 2020 at 7:45 AM

2 aunt Barbara ~ where on Main St. ?

Jeff October 28, 2020 at 8:04 AM

I have been doing quite a bit of dining in downtown Walnut Creek lately. I have observed almost all people wearing masks when appropriate, tables that seem to be six feet apart and people behaving quite well. Young people with loud cars, I used to be one of them, prostitution is something I haven’t seen and I am an expert at spotting in…………AN EXPERT.

108RS

Natalie October 27, 2020 at 3:41 PM

Will the “Obey the police!” crowd stick to their principals? What an ethical conundrum conservatives find themselves in when the police are saying that people need to wear masks, and physically distance.

@L0L: Are you saying that a reckoning is coming for the police, and that the police are illegitimate and should not be followed?

L0L October 27, 2020 at 4:56 PM

@natalie: oh I’m referring to the set of people that follow what their bosses tell them to do in violation of the constitution and human rights. The Nuremberg trials made it very clear “just following orders” is not an excuse.

The Fearless Spectator October 27, 2020 at 6:43 PM

California is tied for the worst leadership in the nation with NY, OR, & WA. Durkan and Brown are probably more inept, but Newsom is truly obtuse. Our local elected officials must carry the flag of our abysmal leadership, and the real citizens (the ones who work and pay taxes) understand that.

There is a reckoning, and it’s coming in the form of Governor Newsom losing his lawsuit, and/or being recalled. Either of which represents the best possible outcome for California.

Jeff October 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM

How sad the power not only state, but local governments have grasped over the citizenry. 0.08% of the population of Danville tested positive, over 2 weeks, so the nobody can run their business, earn income, visit friends, or live as free citizens…

Anon October 27, 2020 at 4:26 PM

Covid-19, As seen on TV!!!

Such ridiculous and over reach.
I’ve got some advice: They will continue with these infringements on our Freedoms.
Eventually you’re going to have to take it to the streets.
Protesting is okay, Right?!?!

The Observer October 27, 2020 at 6:47 PM

I think it’s interesting that, in the past two weeks, San Ramon’s case rate per 100,000 was 42.1. Danville’s rate was 79.8. That looks like a significant difference to me. And, no, the virus isn’t going to go away next Wednesday.

Ilovepopcorn October 27, 2020 at 7:38 PM

Yes!! I have noticed the problems with people not behaving and not following the basic safety measures. I am relieved that the city is not going to put up with this disrespect of health by not wearing masks or social distancing. Sick of their blatant ignorance.

Tired October 27, 2020 at 8:16 PM

ehhhh
Its not ignorance, its defiance.

Liberty > safety. I have god given right to earn a living. If you’re afraid, you can stay inside.

You’re comments hint at your narcissism for believing I need to cater to you…or your own “ignorance” for not taking a critical look at the actual information. We have never treated a disease with this type of survival rate this way…ever. But your facts are pick and choose.

Sorry I must be mansplaining, and I didn’t check my privilige (which one do I check first?) and you’re way more woke than me…so you win

Ilovepopcorn October 27, 2020 at 8:45 PM

How can you be so blind to reality? WE HAVE A VERY CONTAGIOUS PANDEMIC TO MANAGE. You do not have the privilege to do as you want to. Not a matter of choice anymore until we arrest this killer disease. Wear your mask stay six feet apart at a minimum! If you can’t do that then as a consequence like in Danville, your privilege will be taken away for the sake of our community. That is the way it works. You know the saying: We are in this together. Stay safe.

Aunt Barbara October 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM

Get busy living or die a slow death from Gavin’s executive orders..
Live in fear and you will die of health issues,not covid-19
Be safe, be smart wash your mitts, but live your life to the fullest.
Life is too short !

Tired October 28, 2020 at 8:10 AM

I guess I should call you master. Thank you master.

Let me know when I am allowed to do your bidding. Thank you for doing the thinking for me, the world is too big and scary for us common folk to navigate it.

Thank god you can sit in your ivory tower to bestow us with your benevolence & wisdom

Dr. Jellyfinger October 28, 2020 at 6:38 PM

Aunt Barbara is right. We need to reopen NOW!
Most of us want to get back to it … we can take reasonable measures to stay healthy.
I’m an essential worker so I haven’t taken any time off because of the China Virus & I’ve stayed healthy….plus, I deal with the high risk people all day long, everyday.
So “Get busy living”
If you disagree stay home & hide…. it’s your choice.

Dr. H. S. Thompson October 28, 2020 at 8:26 PM

Very contagious pandemic? You mean Influenza? 😆 🤣 😂

My privilege taken away? I did not know freedom was a privilege bestowed upon me! When did this happen?

Plinko October 27, 2020 at 9:57 PM

Sad…Danville had a great downtown. Have liberals destroyed that also?

Gititogether October 27, 2020 at 10:44 PM

Feel sorry for the tens of thousands of business owners losing everything…the hundreds of thousands unable to pay their debts, suffering from depression, and unable to schedule medical procedures, the millions of students losing out on an education, the tens of millions of taxpayers saddled with trillions upon trillions in debt..and the .0001% who have, or may potentially, suffer from the virus

Ilovepopcorn October 27, 2020 at 11:42 PM

Yea… this pandemic is not at fault just the government making all those rules that have caused the upheaval and pandemonium. So blame the rules for all the loss of business and etc.. Trump would agree with you.
Hard to think anyone believes this way. The virus doesn’t give a hoot about your disbelief! Hope you are practicing safety and common sense.

L0L October 28, 2020 at 3:00 PM

China was able to devastate the United States with a single bullet fired or bomb dropped.

And people are completely blind to it. Pathetic.

Dr. H. S. Thompson October 28, 2020 at 8:31 PM

Hey popcorn, pandemic doesnt mean what you think it means.
the Flu is a pandemic with vaccines and is deadlier than COVID-19 across all age groups, especially children.

Pandemic
adjective
(of a disease) prevalent throughout an entire country, continent, or the whole world; epidemic over a large area.

Susan I. October 28, 2020 at 9:01 PM

It’s too bad the good dr. decided too google a definition that was knot correct. What is being confused is a seasonal vs novel pandemic flu: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/about.html

It even has an info graphic for those so inclined…

Two Wheeler October 28, 2020 at 5:21 AM

Um, Ilovepopcorn, if masks work, then why don’t prisoners wear them?

The state is in shambles, the county is being run into the ground. You can live scared if you like. That is your right.

Ilovepopcorn October 28, 2020 at 2:33 PM

This is about protection for each other. Has nothing to do with me or what works for me. We as a society need to stop the spread. Duh.
It is the law to wear a mask and to social distance. What is so hard to figure that out?

Sam October 28, 2020 at 7:12 PM

I’m not here to protect you. Laws are passed by the state legislature. Is it really that hard to understand? I have zero obligation to your wellbeing. Go live on a hippie commune. You can dance naked around a fire and floss each other’s teeth with pubic hair for all I care.

L0L October 29, 2020 at 2:00 PM

@popcorn wearing a mask is not the law. A mandate is not a law, a health order is not a law.

They are all illegitimate.

I do recall California refusing to enforce federal laws because they seem them as unjust, illegitimate, and “wrong” and openly stating such. Yet we are supposed to follow orders that are not laws that illegitimate?

Put the pipe down.

anon October 28, 2020 at 6:18 AM

Who is surprised it is Danville ???
Not me
The elite do whatever they want..just try to stop them
The news said there was a fight..not in this blog

cheeseburguesa October 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM

The fight is mentioned in the first paragraph, but no mention of a business promoting an early Halloween party slated on 10/24 on their social media that also lead up to the cancellation. But you’re right, the “elite” keep doing whatever they want while most industry workers are stuck trying to play mask police and babysit grown @$$ people at the same time.

Really? October 28, 2020 at 7:19 AM

Ignorance is not something most people display willingly…but you’re very transparent ILP.

Did I say that Outloud October 28, 2020 at 8:49 AM

We will never know if strict adherence to mandates set in place will ever work – simply because our society would not adhere to the mandates. We have a mindset that follows the lines of “it’s my right to do what I feel is best for me”, “you can’t tell me what to do”, and let’s not forget the vast amount of unschooled, unlicensed, Constitutional lawyers who are so very sure all this is illegal. If it wasn’t so pathetic it would be laughable.

Sam October 28, 2020 at 10:24 AM

Oh look another opinion that doesn’t matter at all..Whats so sad is you thinking you opinion is important. Your not special. I dare you to tell me what to do in this life, or any other.

CM October 28, 2020 at 5:38 PM

Just when I thought everybody posting here was an entitled childish moron, along walks DISTOL. Thanks for saying what those of us who have something better to do than post on claycord all day are thinking.

Sam October 28, 2020 at 7:14 PM

You are welcome.

The Fearless Spectator October 28, 2020 at 9:56 AM

The fight is what shut it down. The City of Danville knows it’s residents won’t put up with violence.

LL Cool J October 28, 2020 at 9:58 AM

Welcome to communism and idiocy. Enjoy!

SteB October 29, 2020 at 12:23 AM

How can we figure out which 4 or so restaurants that are flaunting the rules are? I’d like to patronize those who’ve played by the rules. I hate cities playing favoritism towards certain downtown establishments.

chuckie the troll October 28, 2020 at 10:38 AM

If BART, local government and the State laid off all “non-essential employees”, schools fired for-cause every teacher who refused to return to in-class teaching, and all of them reduced their expenditures to match current tax revenue, Corona-Mania would end tomorrow!

This proves once again that people react, depending on whose ox is being gored!

Martin October 28, 2020 at 6:01 PM

If lockdowns affected lawmakers the way they affect us, there wouldn’t be any lockdowns.