The Water Cooler – Would You Travel To Another Country For Cheaper Medical Treatment?

September 25, 2020 12:00 pm · 27 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

QUESTION: Would you travel to another country for cheaper medical treatment?

Talk about it….

Dorothy September 25, 2020 at 12:04 PM

Maybe. Too many variables to say either for sure yes or a never no. Depends on what for and what country. Not to mention total cost of getting there and back plus whatever extra care might be needed afterwards.

Ricardoh September 25, 2020 at 12:13 PM

Mimi (original) September 25, 2020 at 12:17 PM

I don’t know. I think I would have to be pretty desperate to go elsewhere for major medical treatment.

Kentucky Derby September 25, 2020 at 12:18 PM

No. When we lived in San Diego, I knew a few people who went to Mexico for cheaper prescriptions. To me, it’s not worth it. You never know what you’re getting in a foreign country.

wave September 25, 2020 at 12:29 PM

No…it would cost me or the trip than the medical treatment..

Captain Bebops September 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM

That would depend on the treatment. Medical treatment has turned into quite a scam in this country. I know expatriates who pay a year to be part of the country’s free health care what many here pay a month for medical insurance.

Ash September 25, 2020 at 1:00 PM

pray i never need to

#RecallGavinNewsom

Kirkwood September 25, 2020 at 1:08 PM

Not for cheaper, but possibly if better.

The Grant September 25, 2020 at 1:12 PM

Yes in deed. We go to Russia (on Baltic) each summer to visit family.

Medical treatments are a lot cheaper and facility / doctors are first class.

nytemuvr September 25, 2020 at 1:28 PM

I remember when you could get a good cheap “tuck and roll” job in Tijuana.

Pyrrhus September 25, 2020 at 1:29 PM

It’s really sad that as one of the richest countries in the world medical tourism to other countries is a thing for Americans. It’s pathetic that a father lost his jobs and is racking up thousands of dollars in medical costs because he protected his 3 children from gunfire and was hit with a bullet. People are going bankrupt over medical costs. It’s time to get on the same page as the rest of the world and have Universal Healthcare.

Dawg September 25, 2020 at 1:29 PM

Probably not, I have pretty good health insurance and a good doctor. I have a friend who travels quite often and he had a couple of dental procedures done in Thailand and India. He’s very pleased with the work they did at a fraction of the cost, plus he gets a vacation out of the deal, and gets to see the sights and try the food.

The Professor September 25, 2020 at 1:34 PM

No way! I hear that after Biden wins, all medical treatment will be free!!!

Universal Healthcare Isn't Free September 25, 2020 at 1:42 PM

Just want to point out Universal Healthcare which has been put on the table before is not free! Absolutely nothing is free. You will pay for it either way.

JWB September 25, 2020 at 1:46 PM

now that’s funny you must not have heard Trump yesterday announce that the America First Health Care Plan will be much cheaper than Obamacare, will give you all the choices you could ever think off, offers you the world’s best treatments and you will only have to sign up for it if you actually need it.

That’s quite a deal… you usually only hear offers that good on slimy used car sales lot.

Silva September 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM

If it was convenient. There is excellent medical care in the foreign country where my SIL has practiced her whole life as an MD. I only WISH I’d gone to the doctor who takes care of the rest of my family’s dental needs, instead of the quack I entrusted my smile to here.

YES September 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM

Yes, I have received excellent care in the EU. As a type-1 diabetic since childhood and now battling cancer, my monthly deductibles hit around $1,000 (mostly insulin) and that is with good health care coverage from a major insurer. I am looking to make a permanent move to the EU based on healthcare (no place is perfect) because I have birthright citizenship in two central Euro countries.

Last year on a work trip to Mexico, I fell ill and had to be hospitalized overnight. No major medical procedures but I did have a battery of tests, exams, and IV fluids. When I checked out the following day my TOTAL stay was $300 plus $90 for the doctor home-visit and ambulance transportation. I had exceptional treatment and care in a very clean and modern hospital in central Mexico.

All that said, I’m grateful for our frontline workers here in the USA.

whatever September 25, 2020 at 2:46 PM

I’ve had dental work done in Mexico while I was on vacation SCUBA diving. Everything was the same as it is here, just about 20% of the cost.

ON DA September 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM

IDK I heard they were founding a brand new country when they find it.

Chicken Little September 25, 2020 at 3:28 PM

Depends on the country, I guess. But I’ve seen the results of too many discount Mexican boob jobs and root canals to trust any “doctor” from Tijuana.

Roz September 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM

Like Chicken Little mentioned,….it depends on the Country.
Also the treatment.
Hubby’s co-worker had serious back pain stemming from the neck area. Doctors here in the USA would not do the surgery,…due to fear and too risky. His Co-worker went to German for the surgery and with in 15 days he was totally whole again. That would be a good reason in my book.

The Masked (and gloved) Poster September 25, 2020 at 10:01 PM

I have no problem with the quality of care in other countries, but what about follow-up care? Traveling to Germany for a follow-up appointment isn’t quite like scheduling an appointment with your surgeon at John Muir hospital.

anon September 26, 2020 at 2:40 AM

If I was 99% confident of 99% American quality care and I got 25% or more price reduction and a nice vacation to boot… Hell yes. Spain, Russia, Japan, etc., why not.

smee September 26, 2020 at 3:36 AM

Yes, but you have to do your research on the hospitals and doctors first. Many foreign doctors were trained in the U.S. The foreign medical care doesn’t have the enormous cost of liability that’s rampant here.

Chicken Little September 26, 2020 at 9:52 AM

@smee,
Quite a few American doctors were trained in foreign countries, too. I was quite surprised to learn how many went to medical school in Pakistan, for example.

ilovepopcorn September 26, 2020 at 12:43 PM

Only by a person I would know and trusted that had a procedure done. It could be dental, or a face lift. Still sounds too risky.

Pat September 26, 2020 at 1:00 PM

I don’t want to travel out of the country for medical care, but I might have to. I retired expecting to be able to purchase insurance until I’m old enough for Medicare. But with the latest opening on the Supreme Court, Trump will have a solid majority in favor of overturning the Affordable Care Act. There is a case about to be argued that will give them the opportunity to do so. Without the ACA, I will be uninsurable because I have had cancer.