Suspect Steals Gas Cans From Back Of Jeep In Pleasant Hill (VIDEO)

March 25, 2020 8:00 am · 20 comments

A Pleasant Hill resident is offering a $500 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person who stole cans full of gas off the back of their Jeep in Pleasant Hill on March 20.

The theft occurred just after 11 p.m. in the area of Elenora/Ardith/Jeannette, which is west of Contra Costa Blvd. behind Grocery Outlet.

Anyone with information can contact the Pleasant Hill Police Department.

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Jeff March 25, 2020 at 8:17 AM

Isn’t gas theft still a hanging offense in California?

108RS

huh?? March 25, 2020 at 11:15 AM

What does 108RS mean? I tried googling it, but with no luck. I’m just curious, as I see it used occasionally. Thanks!

Steven Powers March 25, 2020 at 6:36 PM

chuckie the troll March 25, 2020 at 9:00 AM

I have great neighbors. We know each other and are asking one another, “How can I help you?”. Then, there are the people in Trader Joe’s who abide by the two-item limit…except that they take two of everything. During this crisis we will no-doubt see the best and worst in humanity. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Schmee March 25, 2020 at 9:56 AM

Yup it’s confirmed if you leave a big $50 bill locked to the outside of your truck overnight someone will def cut the lock and take it.

Janon March 25, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Am I missing something? Is gas worth $500? I mean sorry that happened but if you read police logs theft isn’t exactly uncommon.

Joatmeal March 25, 2020 at 12:59 PM

I interpret this as the gas cans are worth $50. Finding the people who stole your gas cans is worth $500.

S March 25, 2020 at 1:01 PM

the custom jeep cans can cost around $250 a piece, so depending on how many cans were swiped…. + the gas…

Kirkwood March 26, 2020 at 9:42 AM

So the “Jeep” cans on modern Jeeps are no longer the standard Jerry can?

Chicken Little March 26, 2020 at 11:24 AM

Standard Jerry cans are illegal in the great state of California.

jose March 25, 2020 at 11:30 AM

A friend of my dads years ago had an appliance store and he had a pick-up truck with utility compartments on the side of the bed.
He used to keep two gas cans filled hanging on the truck.. One night someone stole the gas out of both of them but left the cans.
Next day he filled both up with the cheapest gas he could find. At that time premium gasoline was about .20 cents a gallon……really!
Anyway the next night both cans were emptied again. That was the last time it happened because he dumped a cup of sugar into each gas can.

Aunt Barbara March 25, 2020 at 12:30 PM

It’s like leaving loose garbage out and thinking roaches won’t touch it.

Original G March 25, 2020 at 11:51 AM

Many years back a rancher was plagued with fuel theft from a 4 wheel pickup parked near the road back during ’79 carter embargo days. Had dual tanks so he put a locking gas cap on one tank and plugged fuel line from other tank in which he mixed diesel and gas.

An like clock work, Sheriff’s Deputy would come by in early morning to arrest gas thieves and tow their vehicle that would no longer run.

Lambie March 25, 2020 at 12:17 PM

Don’t leave anything of value available for the taking, it will be taken.

Chicken Little March 25, 2020 at 12:31 PM

Or maybe don’t take anything that doesn’t belong to you?

Lambie March 26, 2020 at 11:23 AM

Good point, Chicken Little 😉

Dawg March 25, 2020 at 1:16 PM

Be careful, next time they will steal the spare tire.

Graceful March 25, 2020 at 4:56 PM

I say we start offering top dollar bounties on thieves. They know they can get away with stealing $950, but that shouldn’t stop putting out bounties on them. In fact, why not?

FPN March 25, 2020 at 9:44 PM

How would that work? Graceful it sounds interesting tell us more.

Schmee March 25, 2020 at 10:08 PM

The idea of a crime deterrent made me think of a hockey documentary that I just started watching on Netflix. It makes the argument that enforcers in hockey keep violence lower in the league overall with the threat of a physical beat down if you mess with the star players. There is something to be said about the threat of physical violence. Maybe not so far as the chopping off of hands but perhaps we could go back to public stoning. I will accept paint “stones”