The Water Cooler – Loud Noises That You Can’t Stand

February 13, 2020 12:00 pm · 41 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

What are some loud noises that you just can’t stand? Example: Dogs barking, leaf blowers, music, thunder, etc.

Talk about it….

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

AM February 13, 2020 at 12:04 PM

Hand dryers in public restrooms! They’re so loud they hurt my ears! PLUS, I get really grossed out thinking of all the germs flying around when they’re used. Hand towels are more sanitary.

Aunt Barbara February 13, 2020 at 12:14 PM

I agree.. soon they will be known to be hazardous to your health if you breathe it in

Simonpure February 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM

Loud license plate vibrating thumping crap they call music…a far cry from it.

Crystal February 13, 2020 at 7:51 PM

AGREED!

Aunt Barbara February 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM

GAS LEAF BLOWERS (at any times)
squealing kids (in restaurants and movies that parents ignore)
Yapping dogs ( when trying to sleep or read (that owners ignore)

Cellophane February 13, 2020 at 12:15 PM

Car alarms. Especially when no one turns them off.

Then, of course, unattended barking dogs, loud music late into the night or, screeching tires, idiots blowing up firecrackers, and just about anything that responsible and respectable people would not do.

Concerned Citizen February 13, 2020 at 12:15 PM

YES! Jerks who ride (and drive) motorcycles and cars with modified mufflers!! Motorcycles and cars that are so loud that they set off other peoples car alarms is freaking obnoxious and should be illegal.

leoclown February 13, 2020 at 12:43 PM

It is illegal.

Mir24 February 13, 2020 at 2:51 PM

I agree with Concerned Citizen and realize it’s against the law, but when has that stopped anyone? I absolutely despise the remotes that sound the horn in a car when someone is setting the alarm as they walk away (the beep is fine).

Dawg February 13, 2020 at 12:17 PM

Thumping music coming from a car that’s so loud it vibrates my windows. Barking dogs and screaming kids don’t bother me as much as their owners/parents do for allowing it to happen. They are the most self centered, inconsiderate neighbors I have.
Lately there has been a cat in heat meowing at night. She doesn’t really bother me too much, but I’d like to see a tom cat stop by and make her happy.
Some noises I like, such as the buzzing sound of an airplane, the mellow sound of a hot rod’s exhaust, and the sound of a Harley that’s not real loud.

Lori R February 13, 2020 at 12:21 PM

LEAF BLOWERS for sure, agree with AM the hand dryers in restrooms gross.

Bad Nombre February 13, 2020 at 12:28 PM

The BART screech

S February 13, 2020 at 12:37 PM

Huh???? What???? Wait a minute. I need to turn up my hearing-aide.

Crystal February 13, 2020 at 7:52 PM

😂

Silva February 13, 2020 at 1:03 PM

I hate loud noises. I always have hearing protection on me. I have it in my pocket right now. I guess I’d say riding BART is a very annoying loud noise I don’t like, but I wear hearing protection when I use the blender and the vacuum cleaner. I did give myself a lifetime dose of tinnitus when I was in my twenties.

Roz February 13, 2020 at 1:39 PM

You are so right about BART. I use ear protection too.
Also I have loss of hearing and tinnitus in right ear, which started 10 years ago. Trying to fall asleep at night is the pits. Also, did you know, if you go completely deaf that the tinnitus will still be there!?!, ugh!!

Silva February 13, 2020 at 2:33 PM

No, I did not know that Roz.😑 Double ugh!!

Mike February 13, 2020 at 1:25 PM

Politicians.

Cyn February 13, 2020 at 1:27 PM

Gotta agree with Bad Nombre on this one…..the screeching on BART trains is the worst.

Ancient Mariner February 13, 2020 at 1:52 PM

They’re trying to fix this by changing to old-fashioned conical-section wheels instead of the state-of-the-art (for the mid-1960s) cylindrical section wheels. Maybe it’ll work!

The Fearless Spectator February 13, 2020 at 1:38 PM

People jabbering on their cell phone in the check out line at the grocery store. Its rude to the checker, rude to the other patrons, and above all reflects very poorly on their mother.

Candy February 13, 2020 at 1:52 PM

People who use their cell phones on SPEAKER in public places. And the new phenomenon, Face Time phone conversations in public spaces.
Remember every one can hear your loud voice when you don’t use cell phone etiquette.

Mark February 13, 2020 at 2:25 PM

Any politician with a microphone.

Mutts February 13, 2020 at 2:32 PM

Any kind of motorcycle.

bdml February 13, 2020 at 3:33 PM

Harley Davidson motorcycles, why do the riders feel it necessary to hit their throttles as they pass in between cars…lane splitting is a privilege not a right.

CFourth February 13, 2020 at 4:49 PM

I believe they hit the throttle between cars so they are loud enough for people with their noses in their phones to notice them and not hit them. I highly doubt they do it to be annoying. They’re trying to be safe as they know it is a privilege.

Joe February 13, 2020 at 4:04 PM

Saw a poster on BART claiming they are reducing the screech by reshaping the existing cars wheels.

Outcome, terrible unclean service with different wheels.

Joe

Atticus Thraxx February 13, 2020 at 5:03 PM

All of the noises. That’s why we call it noise.

Exit 12A February 13, 2020 at 5:50 PM

What constitutes “noise” is highly subjective.

The Fearless Spectator February 13, 2020 at 6:21 PM

Yes it is subjective. If I had a choice between a leaf blower and rap music, I would gladly choose the leaf blower.

John P February 13, 2020 at 9:35 PM

Let me clarify for Atticus: anything that exceeds 65 decibels (and even under it, if it comes from a lying politician of either party).

PESFG February 13, 2020 at 7:30 PM

Being at the library and having to listen to an entitled donkeyhole having a phone conversation! Arrrggghhh irritates me!!!
Liberals whining.
Motorcycle noise like Harleys.
Loud ghetto music coming from cars.
People who say “like” or cuss every other word when having a “conversation”
Parents who allow their children to scream causing others people’s ears to bleed.
Neighbors who allow their dogs to bark nonstop.
My neighbor’s ghetto music being played after 11pm (police don’t care).
People who get mad you for staring at them when they are having a very loud phone conversation while talking about personal issues in public.
Ok, enough complains coming from me today. Thank you for letting vent…lol

Crystal February 13, 2020 at 7:50 PM

My condo neighbor with a loud @$$ tv, knowing it is rattling things on the wall!!!

Barbie Girl February 13, 2020 at 8:21 PM

People who sneeze or blow their noses reaaly loud are soooooo annoying and gross. Farts and burps are ok, I just laugh.

Justifiable languor February 14, 2020 at 9:28 AM

I hate it when I am the only one in the room that hears it. Squeak squeak with every foot fall. Sheesh, even the teenagers were better at hiding their giggles.

Ilovepopcorn February 14, 2020 at 4:41 AM

Cars that have loud rap music blaring from the speakers. I have great music blaring from my speakers!! I also can’t stand the sound of power tools. BART has a deafening sound of screaming wheels that must be bad for your ears.
Gas powered anything! Leaf blowers etc. Garbage trucks collecting garbage.
Women laughing like turkeys. Certain ethnic languages spoken in a shrill voice. Loud motorcycles and mufflers that are not muffled. Going to the ER and hearing people suffering in pain. Silence at night is deafening. Well that is about it.

Silva February 14, 2020 at 7:51 AM

I don’t understand why so many people don’t like rap music. After all, why wouldn’t anyone enjoy having some strange guy with an attitude yelling obscenities at them? I don’t get it.

anon February 14, 2020 at 8:05 AM

Dog’s barking all day long while the homeowner’s sit on their butt’s in the house.

Ricardoh February 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM

I was going to say my wife but I better not say that. i could get in real trouble.

Ricardoh's Wife February 14, 2020 at 3:53 PM

I can’t believe you said that

Jess February 15, 2020 at 10:02 PM

Fireworks, most definitely fireworks. I have neighbors that will blast them and there’s nothing I can do to convince them to stop. They don’t care about anyone’s anxiety or PTSD. The cops can’t do anything unless they actually see them doing it. And “just turn up the TV” is the most useless advice people keep giving me.
I also do not care for dogs barking, car alarms, car horns, emergency sirens. Basically my head cannot take loud unless it’s something like a concert because it’s a constant loud rather than a surprise.