Concord: Fire Officials Announce Cause Of Fire In Vacant Apartment Building On Coast Guard Property

February 13, 2020 16:00 pm · 12 comments

Fire officials this week released the cause of a fire last month in a vacant, eight-unit, Concord apartment building.

An unattended fire in the vacant structure was what started the blaze on Mount Hood Circle on U.S. Coast Guard property, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

An alarm sounded at 8 a.m. on Jan. 18 and crews responded to find a fire in one first-floor apartment in the two-story building.

Fire officials said when crews arrived smoke was rising from the eaves around the whole roof area.

As crews were extinguishing the blaze, a fire captain partially fell through the second floor of the building, knocking debris down onto another firefighter who suffered a minor back injury.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

chuckie the troll February 13, 2020 at 4:16 PM

Homeless campfire? Squatting has consequences for property owners, but not for criminals evidently.

Reply

Ricardoh February 13, 2020 at 4:17 PM

An unattended fire in the vacant structure was what started the blaze. Excuse me but that is not the cause. What started the unattended fire is the cause. It took them a month to figure out what they knew in five minutes.

Reply

NoMoreFreeRide February 13, 2020 at 5:05 PM

Really you just can’t say homeless people did it! Just call them “those formerly housed or those undocumented housed”. Perhaps that will be the politically correct way to say it. This country is going down the tubes!

Reply

Exit 12A February 13, 2020 at 5:52 PM

Unattended by whom?

Come on…. just say it. Jeez.

Reply

Martinez Guy February 13, 2020 at 6:50 PM

Fire officials this week released the cause of a fire last month in a vacant, eight-unit, Concord apartment building.

Well, please tell us. What was the cause? We’re all ears!

Reply

Paladin February 13, 2020 at 8:39 PM

The cause? Simple……bums.

Reply

Realistic CA February 13, 2020 at 11:31 PM

How do we have a “housing crisis” when there is a vacant 8-unit complex available for vagrants to burn down?!

Reply

Bob February 14, 2020 at 12:42 AM

Because draconian building codes and asbestos hysteria.

qwerty February 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM

How did they determine it was unattended? Seems reasonable it may have been attended, caught the structure on fire, and the attendees ran away.

Reply

chuckie the troll February 14, 2020 at 11:24 AM

It was attended until it wasn’t attended.

Sam Malone February 14, 2020 at 8:20 AM

Yet another example of letting the entitled homeless do what they wish anywhere and anytime with no consequences (thank you libbies and nannies) other than to the police, fire, paramedics who put their lives on the line daily.

Vote this next election with your brains and stop getting rail roaded by those who pay nothing into the system but suck it dry.

Reply

Roz February 14, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Still would like to know what the ‘CAUSE’ part was, just like everyone else here is asking.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: