Claycord Online Museum – Take an Excursion to the Beautiful Mount Diablo Country (1922)

February 11, 2020 14:00 pm · 6 comments

sfcall

This advertisement, which featured an opportunity to travel to the beautiful Mount Diablo Country, was placed in the San Francisco Call newspaper in 1922.

For $1 (round trip), you could travel by train from Oakland to Walnut Creek and Concord to check out the “country full of pleasure to the lover of nature”.

Click on the image for a much larger view.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

Pyrrhus February 11, 2020 at 2:27 PM

About the price of a round trip BART ride. $1.00 is equivalent to $15.30 today. So I suppose not too bad. Average income according to the IRS (nationally) was $3,143.46 in 1922, in 2020 that would be $48,075.55. According to the BLS, the average income in 2018 was $48,516.

james February 11, 2020 at 4:11 PM

A run away train causing a fatality ended the train line up Mt Diablo

Gititogether February 11, 2020 at 7:22 PM

1922…would be something to see

Ancient Mariner February 11, 2020 at 8:50 PM

I would love to have ridden on this train. It must have been beautiful,coming up through the Oakland hills, through the tunnel to Canyon and through all the trees.

Antler February 12, 2020 at 4:48 AM

…. uh-oh, I need to do some research. In 1922, I thought our town was still being called Todos Santos, but obviously not.

Kirkwood February 12, 2020 at 11:38 AM

I remember the San Francisco Call Bulletin as a minor competitor to the (evening) Examiner and (morning) Chronicle. It was in the late 40’s and I had a Richmond Independent paper route. I lived in rural El Sobrante at the time.