Claycord – Talk About Politics

February 7, 2020 19:02 pm · 117 comments

politics_claycord

This post is “Talk About Politics”.

Please use this post to talk about politics, and keep politics out of the “whatever” thread.

Thank you, and be kind to each other.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

wave February 7, 2020 at 7:18 PM

Got my voting material from Contra Costa County today…
Did everyone else??

Dawg February 7, 2020 at 9:45 PM

I hand delivered mine in Concord and they said I was the first one.

Roz February 7, 2020 at 8:14 PM

Last week here, the material,… this week mail in voting Ballot and took it to the post office Wednesday.

Anonymous February 7, 2020 at 8:31 PM

Watched the democratic debate. I know good people who like Bernie but he looks like one of those guys in the Safeway parking lot yelling at clouds .

Steyer looks like an SS Officer to me. That’s not fair, it just is.

Nee February 8, 2020 at 6:52 PM

I think Bernie looks like doc on back to the future

Fred P. February 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM

…with no insults intended towards Doc Brown….

HappyPappy February 7, 2020 at 11:31 PM

Trump arranged for all the democrats to attend an award ceremony for Rush Limbaugh.
Pretty slick, huh. Bwahahahahaahahaha

Gittyup February 8, 2020 at 8:27 AM

He’s trying to thaw them out.

Gittyup February 8, 2020 at 3:41 PM

They might have expected something like that, but you know Democrats … oblivious. Nancy seemed a tad bitter, me thinks. Bamboozled maybe?

Reality February 8, 2020 at 5:31 AM

Hopefully all the Democrats and liberals will follow Nancy’s lead and tear their ballots up. That would be the most effective way to right this sinking ship we call California.

Sandy G February 8, 2020 at 10:54 AM

To Do List February 8, 2020 at 1:23 PM

OK Sandy, I will give you my take on that. The democrats do not think democracy really works since for some inexplicable and outrageous reason, they can lose. To them, the last presidential election was not fair cause they lost. The impeachment trial was not fair because they lost. So, since democracy and voting is not really fair and working for them, they should continue the protest theme and tear up their ballots. Of course then the republicans will win, and the state and nation can begin to address real issues like infrastructure, education, high taxes, homelessness and the like instead of impeachment theater. That is course is just my take on it. Other opinions might be different.

Ricardoh February 8, 2020 at 8:41 AM

NEW WAY FORWARD ACT
Democrats have introduced a new bill that will just about eliminate ICE and the ability to deport illegal alien felons. The kicker is any previous illegal alien felon deported can apply for re entry to the US and be flown at US taxpayer expense to have a hearing. Pretty much this bill supported by 40 democrats will eliminate our borders.
Our own congressman De Saulnier supports this bill. He is on the ballot this coming election make sure he is retired.

Lazy One February 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM

Is anyone running against De Saulnier?

Jojo Potato February 8, 2020 at 11:44 AM

“We” do that every once in a while to get you conservatives all stirred up. Tucker especially fun to watch when he is upset. Kind of the opposite of what’s call TDS. A real Hoot!

Ricardoh February 8, 2020 at 12:36 PM

Lazy One
There is an Indian Republican business woman running against the idiot. She seems fine. Anyone would be better. Also a green party person I know nothing about.

Ricardoh February 8, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Jojo Potato Well you keep having a hoot while your children and grandchildren eventually pay the price for your hoot. I don’t find it funny at all. Glad you have a sense of humor though.

Gittyup February 8, 2020 at 2:20 PM

Anybody but DeSaulnier. If it doesn’t work out, politicians are like the bus, another will be along shortly.

Rollo Tomasi February 8, 2020 at 4:02 PM

The fact that even Jojo doesn’t try to defend that garbage piece of legislation says a lot.

Bill Cutting February 8, 2020 at 9:47 AM

Yeah I heard about that Ricardoh. Democrats are pretty sick man I can’t believe these people they literally don’t give a crap about this country they want people coming in and out unchecked this is how viruses spread they survive by importing their voter base. Most of them dems should be arrested for seditious conspiracy charges. They have gone full communist it’s quite obvious to anyone who can read

Ricardoh February 8, 2020 at 10:04 AM

How anyone with a brain can vote for a democrat in today’s world is beyond comprehension. Try to understand all the democrats have are unaffordable plans and flooding the country with uneducated people. That’s it, nothing else. Just look at everything De Saulnier has worked on since in office. Not one thing that would improve the life of a US citizen.

Concord Grape February 8, 2020 at 10:08 AM

you better not disagree with Potus or you are FIRED. Then in his cyber bully way demean the person.

Ricardoh February 8, 2020 at 10:45 AM

Grape tell me that if you were the president you would keep a person on your staff who testified against you. Come on Grape you don’t look that dumb.

Gittyup February 8, 2020 at 3:29 PM

A federal circuit court Friday refused to hear an emoluments lawsuit, rejecting the suit brought by 200 plus Democrats against President Trump.

As one elderly woman said with sincerity in reference to Trump following the State of the Union address, “Put a cape on his back and an ‘S’ on his chest, and call him ‘Superman.'”

Rollo Tomasi February 8, 2020 at 4:14 PM

Vindman’s direct superior, Tim Morrison, testified that Vindman had a habit of ignoring the chain of command. That can, and in this case should, get anybody fired.

Hanne Jeppesen February 8, 2020 at 10:09 AM

I wish Americans would know the difference between communism, socialism and a social democracy. While I’m not a fan of Bernie, nor am I for open borders, and none of my other liberal friends are in favor of open borders, I would have to read the bill to see what it actually says.

However the way many American’s use the word communism does not apply to what communism is. I also get the feeling many conservatives do not really support free speech, they would like everyone to agree with them, and fall in line behind Trump. As someone who was born in the last months of WWII, in a country occupied by Germans, I’m fully aware of the dangers of a fascists government, trust me you have nothing to worry about. Americans for the most part are too independent to let that happen. Chill the US will be just fine, even if you don’t agree with everything the government does.

Ricardoh February 8, 2020 at 10:56 AM

Hanne Jeppesen NEW WAY FORWARD ACT copy and Google. The democrat description is not earth shaking until you read the details.

“” I also get the feeling many conservatives do not really support free speech, they would like everyone to agree with them””.

Unlike the democrats who would not let the president or his layers speak at their fiasco impeachment farce conservatives are not against free speech. We are against lying and corruption.

To Do List February 8, 2020 at 1:12 PM

Hanne: Someone a week or two ago posted the same as you lamenting the lack of knowledge by us simple citizens about communism, socialism and such. Information, links, and other commentary was posted to follow up but the original poster was nowhere to be seen. I think the problem is not that we simple citizens do not have the information, the problem for the far left is that we do have the information. The less that is known about socialism and communism, especially about its history in practice, the more one might be attracted to its promises.

Gittyup February 8, 2020 at 2:38 PM

The aim of socialism in the U.S. is always to supplant capitalism and do away with private property. The steps to that socialist goal are incremental and subtle so as not to create alarm and economic disaster. Socialism always fails eventually. Assets are taken from the rich and redistributed among the poor to bring about equality of status among individuals in the society.

It works only until they run out of other people’s money. Obama said it himself during his first term in office. He wanted to “redistribute wealth.” The Democrats are dead set on bringing this scenario about and Saunders who appears to be leading the charge has stated openly he is a socialist. I don’t care where you say it has “worked,” because it hasn’t endured anywhere. It is a flawed and imperfect model that has been idealized beyond its potential. It simply is not sustainable for many reasons.

Captain Bebops February 8, 2020 at 3:06 PM

I hear hosts on the “alt right” frequently bandying the term “communism” probably more as a scare tactic to stir up conversation than anything. Some of these hosts should know better and I would ask them (as often do here) “which form of collectivism are you talking about?” Because there are many forms and actually many countries that we have been told were “communist” were not. Some were state capitalism and some were even “family businesses” like North Korea. Americans are generally very shallow when it comes to discussing economic systems and politics.

We have some big problems in this country right now. I commend “The Mayor” for asking about price of things the other on The Water Cooler the other because the price of things are certainly running amok and inflation is rampant. You can’t keep raising prices without causing a reaction from the populace at large. America certainly is not “Great Again” by any means.

Hanne, Americans are so independent they won’t walk off their jobs to protest. They would rather lose the country and than lose their jobs. The powers-at-be have them over a barrel.

Rollo Tomasi February 8, 2020 at 4:28 PM

Hanna, Kamala Harris suggested that Twitter ban the President’s feed. Elizabeth Warren wants criminal penalties for misinformation on the internet. Ted Lieu said “However, I would love to be able to regulate the content of speech. The First Amendment prevents me from doing so, and that’s simply a function of the First Amendment, but I think over the long run, it’s better the government does not regulate the content of speech.”
There’s a big difference between someone not wanting to hear dissenting views and someone advocating that government abridge free speech. Look up the political ideology of individuals I mentioned.

Rollo Tomasi February 8, 2020 at 4:32 PM

Captain Bebops – the Water Cooler question you mentioned was the price of NECESSITIES. Scrolling through that thread it’s comical to read what some people consider necessities.

Always fun February 8, 2020 at 4:52 PM

So many LOL moments available in the Claycord politics thread.
Thank you all.

Captain Bebops February 9, 2020 at 5:21 PM

I should have mentioned toilet paper on the price of necessities thread. It’s gone sky high. Soon you won’t be able to afford to…..

Gittyup February 9, 2020 at 11:38 PM

Have you noticed manufacturers have cut off almost half an inch on either side of the roll?

jjshawk February 10, 2020 at 12:02 AM

Hanne Jeppesen
The same type of people that end up in power in a Capitalist system, also end up in power in Government, be it, a Communist, or Socialist system. In Capitalism, big business has the people over a barrel. In Communism, the Government has the people over a barrel. Capitalism, to a certain degree, allows one to vote with their dollars and their feet: 1. Businesses with bad products and/or ethics, I can take my money elsewhere. 2. If I disagree with my boss, I am free to pi$$ in his office and look for a new job. However, it gets more difficult to go against the wishes of the Government (that can also levy legal penalties) if it has too much control over people’s personal choices.

Also, I know a few people who fled their home countries during revolution. One thing in common, their politics tend to lean towards Conservative, and at the very least Libertarian.

Maybe, “the US will be just fine”, but, I think its healthy to question (through political awareness) everything the Government does. It seems as though both parties (Democrats and Republicans) expect supporters to “agree with them, and fall in line” behind whoever is running for office.

To Do List February 8, 2020 at 2:51 PM

I believe the incremental and slow approach to moving toward socialism is called Fabianism. The quicker approach would be like the socialist Trotskyites, who want to cause revolution and march the intellectuals and other deplorables into fields and shoot them. So Hanne, are you more interested in the slow approach, or are you more interested in marching, for example Gittyup as in intellectual, into a field somewhere? Heather Farms is nearby.

Gittyup February 10, 2020 at 3:54 PM

Whoa there cowboy!

Gittyup February 12, 2020 at 7:40 AM

Whatever you want to call it, socialism’s goal is communism and the Democratic front runner, who isn’t even a registered Democrat, has stated he is a socialist.

To Do List February 12, 2020 at 10:12 AM

I do believe the current socialist movement has elements of evil to it. They did not create their own party and run on socialism. Instead, they muscled their way into the Democratic party and took over. Ralph Nader ran for president in 1996 as a Green Party member, and if the socialists had tired to run as a separate party this time they would have much less support. They muscled in, and took over. That is what socialists do. It is clear they also have made great strides in controlling the political slant of what is taught in the schools, both grade schools and college. The schools are not teaching any balanced view of the different political systems. There were some excellent YouTube videos posted a few years ago about this. At pro-socialist demonstrations here in the US with pro-socialist signs, immigrants who had experienced and fled from life in the former Soviet Union would walk up to the demonstrators and try to talk to them about socialism. The demonstrators just simply could not even carry on a conversation with the people who left the USSR. They could not answer questions, they could not discuss the topic, they had no knowledge of what happened in socialist countries. The viewer was left wondering why they were holding signs for something they did not even understand.

HappyPappy February 8, 2020 at 4:40 PM

Will the democrats rely on voter fraud AGAIN? –
Remember back in 2016 when they rigged the election to thwart Old Bern’s chances against The Beast?
First off, I’ve been around long enough to recognize a wacko when I see one and Old Bern is certifiable, and he gets no support from me. But I still can’t understand why The Beast feared him.
Now then, this is what the sneaky swamp dwellers pulled off against one of their own; Three weeks before the election, a journalist named James O’Keefe from Project Veritas released two videos of an undercover sting where slimy big shot democrat operatives bragged about running a nationwide voter fraud operation financed by the DNC and the Clinton campaign.
Here is what was discovered:
“We’ve been busing in people [illegal voters] for 50 years and we’re not going to stop now.”
“[We know] this is illegal.”
“I think backward from how they would prosecute us, and then try to build out a method to avoid [getting caught].”
“We implement the plan across every Republican-held state.”
“[Our operation] causes massive changes in state legislatures and Congress.”
“Hillary knows what’s going on.”

One of the slimy covert operatives caught in the Project Veritas sting is a longtime Democrat named Bob Creamer. Good ol’ Bob was guilty in 2005 of tax violations and bank fraud, he was a big time player in crooked Democratic Party politics. Official visitor logs show the convicted felon visited the Obama White House 342 times, including 47 personal meetings with his pal Obama, a fact that was buried by the mainstream media when O’Keefe’s explosive exposés were released less than a month before the election when The Beast was heavily favored to win.
So what was his punishment you may ask?
Although Creamer was forced to resign after being caught on tape discussing a nationwide voter fraud operation funded by the DNC and the Clinton campaign, the Democrat dirty tricks operative was honored with a front-row seat at President Obama’s farewell address in January 2017. Criminals taking care of criminals.

Yogurt February 9, 2020 at 5:49 PM

Literally nothing you wrote is true

Project Veritas is a joke and has been proved that they lie constantly and use doctored videos to prove their point.

If that was true why hasn’t trump and his DOJ and the republicans in power done anything? They just gave trump a pass so they have the power?

HappyPappy February 9, 2020 at 11:06 PM

Feeble attempt yogurt. You need to sell it much better if you want anyone to believe your fake claims. C’mon, use your radical leftist skills.

Rollo Tomasi February 10, 2020 at 8:24 AM

Yogurt, do you know the meaning of the word “literally”? If you don’t, perhaps you should stop using it.

From Wikipedia: “In 2005, Creamer pleaded guilty to tax violations and $2.3 million in bank fraud in relation to paying checks with insufficient funds, to fund his public interest group in the 1990s. He repaid the funds, and was convicted and sentenced to five months in prison at Terre Haute and eleven months house arrest.”

See that? It took about 45 seconds to prove you’re a liar. Now tell us why anyone here should lend any credence to your opinions.

Gittyup February 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM

“Liar” is really the only thing liberals know how to retort when presented with the truth. It’s the Kübler-Ross model of acceptance where one moves through denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and, finally, acceptance. The exclamation of “liar” by liberals when presented with the truth is them stuck in denial.

james February 11, 2020 at 3:56 AM

To shut down a liberal like Yogurt is easy:ask what their source is to what they are saying because their only answer would be” my emotions”.
But that would be being truthful and they can’t do that either.

Ozzie February 8, 2020 at 6:45 PM

Before you pop your bubble wrap remember the air most likely is from China.

Hanne Jeppesen February 8, 2020 at 11:31 PM

Let me try to answer some of the comments here who responded to my comments about socialism, communism, etc.
First of all I don’t claim one is better than the other, each has it’s benefits and downsides. I grew up in Denmark in the post WWII years, my Dad was a strong opponent of communism and a strong supporter of President Kennedy, those pro American feeling, had something to do with me deciding to come to the US as an au pair in 1967, I have been here ever since, it is my home, I love the US, but I also have strong ties to Denmark, have friends and family there, and visit both Denmark and Sweden often. There are plenty to be critical of in both the US and Scandinavia nothing is utopia. I often hear right wing host saying liberal is looking for utopia, that is just not so, at least not my generation. I would say being brought up by parents who lived through 5 years of German occupation, was not brought up to believe in any kind of utopia, in fact my mother often told me:” No one promised you anything and no promised you life would be easy”. My parents although not perfect are role models for me, they adopted me at the end of the war, the hid someone on the run from Gestapo during the war, and after the war the took in a French girl for six month, although they did not have much, but we lived in the country, and my Dad was a Gardner, so we always had fresh vegetables, and usually chicken or pork and fresh fruits as well. Sorry, I’m getting off track, the Scandinavian countries are not becoming fascist, since the 1920ish they have been social democrats for the most part so spare me the socialism leads to fascist. I understand that American’s love the US, as do I and when they sense criticism they get upset, there really is no need for that. Capitalism works well here, and majority of American’s are happy with it, socialism works well in most European countries and the Europeans are happy with it. It is not a contest. I do think many American throw out the word communism in connection with being liberal, is not because they don’t understand the difference, but because they are trying to paint liberals in the worse possible way.

Also understand many European countries became more socialistic because unless you were born into a certain class or wealth you did not have much of a chance to move up. This is not the case in the US here you can be born penny less and work yourself up, although it is not as easy as some think, but it is possible. As for most European countries they are not true socialistic countries, since you have private ownership of property (many even have a vacation home) and you can start and own your own business.

Captain Bebops February 9, 2020 at 8:47 AM

The problem in the US right now is “laissez faire capitalism”. Back in the 1950s we had progressive taxes which discouraged wealth hoarding. Other countries like Japan have reined in wealth inequality and the same is needed here. No one is asking for the US to be turned into a socialist country but instead make sure we have proper social programs so no one falls through the cracks because when people do then it costs everyone more. Letting someone demand that they get 9 pieces of pie leaving one for everyone else is simply not right.

Ricardoh February 9, 2020 at 9:19 AM

Hanne Jeppesen Looks like Europe will soon have the problems the US has had for years. We will then see how the government paying for everything works out. It is going to get ugly.

To Do List February 9, 2020 at 10:06 AM

Hanne: Thank you for your explanation but it actually highlights for me some of the problems. You say no European countries are real socialist after appearing to defend the idea of socialism. If you go to for example Wikipedia and review the term “Nordic Model,” then clearly no Nordic counties are currently socialist despite leftists here giving us that story.

I believe in US law there is a concept that if someone purposely creates something ambiguous in a legal contract for their own advantage, in a lawsuit that ambiguity shall be used against them. Such should be the case here with the left using word games to create ambiguity. They have socialism, democratic socialist, social democrat and whatever. We are told by researchers that Eskimos have at least 50 words for snow (softly falling, good for sleds, etc.) because it was so important to them. But to us, it is snow. There are dozens of words for sandwiches (sub, melt, slider,…) but they are all sandwiches. The shades of meaning in purposely ambiguous “socialist” descriptions by reversing the words (social democrat to democratic socialism or whatever) are still socialism. Again, the Wikipedia on “social democrat” states that the ultimate goal is socialism and gives a bunch of footnotes and quotes from socialist journals to prove that point.

HappyPappy February 9, 2020 at 9:43 AM

Democrats wish lists of accomplishments since 2016 –
Tell everyone Trump can never win.
Create false narratives about sexism and racism.
Block Brett Kavanaugh from the Supreme Court.
Convince public Russia interfered with our election.
Convince public Trump colluded with Russia.
Convince public Trump obstructed justice in Russia collusion investigation.
Impeach and remove Trump for Quid-pro-Quo with Ukraine.
Results;
Fail at absolutely everything.
Divide the country with identity politics.
Waste everyone’s time for four years.

Gittyup February 11, 2020 at 10:12 PM

Looks like Democrats need to redirect their energy to more constructive causes.

HappyPappy February 9, 2020 at 10:15 AM

Under-reported leftist violence:
Approximately six Trump supporters were attacked in the parking lot of a Jacksonville, Florida Walmart Saturday afternoon at around 3:50 p.m. when a man in his 20’s plowed through a voter registration tent, according to the local Sheriff’s Office. After driving through the tent, the man stopped, took a video, and flipped off the Republicans before driving away.
Meh……maybe the media simply forgot to show it.
Good thing we have CLAYCORD!

Ozzie February 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM

6? That rivals his inauguration crowd.

Yogurt February 9, 2020 at 11:26 PM

Call it what it is….mental problems.

The problem is labeling a huge group of people because of one person.

It’s purposely divisive and ignorant

HappyPappy February 10, 2020 at 9:20 AM

yogurt –
Yep you’re right about that, it is mental problems.

Q: Why is that so pervasive in the lunatic leftist population?
Think Chick-fil-A, Hobby Lobby, any college campus rioting over conservative speakers, snowflakes blocking roads because they didn’t get their way, murdering police sitting in their car, etc, etc, etc.

Chicken Little February 10, 2020 at 4:57 PM

Yogurt is right, HappyPappy. It’s just 98% of Democrats making the other 2% look bad.

Fred P. February 11, 2020 at 11:48 AM

And don’t forget the recent displays of violence in Portland….

All perpetrated by the left. And the left refuse to condemn their own actions, further displaying their hypocrisy.

Hanne Jeppesen February 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM

Am I defending socialism? I suppose I am. I grew up in Denmark was educated there, but no system is perfect. When I’m in Europe and my friends are critical of the US I defend the US on most points.

Fact is that my friends and family that still lives in Denmark, Sweden other European countries are perfectly happy living there. People live with less fear, than the US, yes they pay higher taxes, but most are okay with that, Americans would not be, and I understand that. The reason the Danes are often voted the happiest people in the world, is that the are satisfied with less in many ways. It is a small country so most live close to their families, we enjoy good food, a little wine, good friends and travelling. Most travel a fair amount, but since European countries are small compared to the US, many, such as teachers, engineers, also have vacation homes, usually a small cottage by the ocean, although summers are short and often not very warm, we love being close to water.

To Do List February 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Hanne: Denmark is not socialist. You say you are defending socialism and say how happy the people of Denmark are, but they are not in a socialist country. In a speech at Harvard University in 2015, the Danish Prime Minister Rasmussen said, “Denmark is far from a socialist planned economy. Denmark is a market economy.” He said he is flattered that such people as Bernie are discussing Denmark, but he says that Bernie is wrong.

As I mentioned before, real socialists like Bernie are like salesmen who get their foot in the door. The introductory idea that wouldn’t it be nice to have free health insurance leads in his chain of logic to socialism. As Denmark shows, a country can have government provided health care and still be capitalist. However, as with other hard core socialists, Bernie’s website lists a bunch of other targets in private industry for the government to take over and control. He is a real socialist, and as the PM of Denmark says, is distorting Denmark’s economics to try to sell ideas.

Gittyup February 12, 2020 at 5:32 PM

We here in the United States pay large amounts in property, sales, and income taxes, both state and federal, to provide medical care to the indigent in the federal Medicare program, the federal Medicaid program, the State of California Medi-cal program, and the Contra Costa County medical system.

So, it cannot be said that anyone is denied needed medical care in the U.S., if they want it. It’s just a buzz issue with Democrats and they appeal to liberal-minded voters who think medical care is being denied to certain individuals for whatever reason. It is, however, no reason to dismantle the current system, do away with competition among private insurance programs, and institute a solely-run government system. It is also no reason to lure individuals needing sophisticated and expensive medical care provided for free from throughout the world here to our shores for care paid for by beleaguered U.S. taxpayers. Newsom’s “Welcome to California” abortion does just that. Anyone from anywhere can obtain an abortion in California no questions asked, residency not required, and at taxpayer expense, as far as I know.

One stunning fact about the Affordable Care Act was that they signed up more people for Medi-cal than they did for the paid programs.

Michael 1 February 9, 2020 at 10:57 AM

Socialism and liberalism are both failed ideologies . Look at what is happening here in California . We pay the highest progressive tax rates in the country . We also have the highest percentage of poverty ,the highest percentage of petty crimes . Our education system is among the worst in the nation . We pay the highest gas taxes but have the worst roads and infrastructure . We have the highest number of illegal aliens who vote in our elections . Don’t try to say they don’t vote because our politicians won’t allow an investigation to prove they don’t .
Then you have Bernie Sanders and pretty much the rest of the democratic candidates lying to the citizens promising free healthcare and free college and high paying jobs . How do they say they will pay for all this free stuff ? They will tax the rich . The problem is there are not enough Rich people and the rich will take their money and leave . How hard is it for the hard working middle class worker to get ahead here in California now ? . How hard will it be when they have to pay the extra taxes and fees imposed on them to pay for all the free stuff? It just doesn’t work .

Jojo Potato February 9, 2020 at 12:21 PM

The economy of California is the largest in the United States, boasting a $3.0 trillion gross state product as of 2018. If California were a sovereign nation (2020), it would rank as the world’s sixth largest economy, ahead of United Kingdom and behind India.

So why are you so intent on hating it?

Yogurt February 9, 2020 at 5:51 PM

And yet our population grows and our economy grows and everything you wrote is wrong.

Fear mongering at its finest. Keep spewing right wing talking points as if it’s fact

Gittyup February 9, 2020 at 11:19 PM

What Michael 1 says is true, particularly with regard to California. There is no “fear mongering” involved. It’s a fact of life and an economic reality. California cannot continue supporting the numbers it invites to the state without making it unlivable for everyone. The shear costs are unsustainable, otherwise we would not be seeing the numbers of homeless, mentally ill, and drug addicted in our streets, The resources are finite and the state cannot continue squandering fortunes. The Democrats have been running things in California for 40 years, and look what they’ve done to this beautiful state. It’s appalling. It will reach a tipping point just as it always has and the pendulum will swing back the other way — just as always. We saw it with the tech bubble, we saw it with the housing bubble and we’ll see it with the “progressive liberal” bubble, as well. When people are sufficiently fed up with the liberal “business as usual” they will make a change.

Historically, socialism has never worked where ever it has been tried. It is an idealization that sounds good on paper but doesn’t work. It is not an functional form of government because it redistributes wealth and eliminates private property. The rich then just get up and leave such a society when they can’t keep their fortunes. Or, they will find ways to protect their fortunes and avoid paying for the rabble causing the socialist society to collapses. It’s the stuff of history and revolution. And, who wants a disaster in the making? Democratic candidates remind me of the old perfume commercial, “Promise them anything, but give them Arpege.” Democratic candidates do a lot of promising, but they come up short on getting anything actually accomplished.

mtzman February 10, 2020 at 8:21 AM

Speaking of fear-mongering and right-wing talking points as “facts,” over the last forty years Republicans have sat in the governor’s chair and controlled the state administration longer than Democrats.

HappyPappy February 10, 2020 at 9:25 AM

mtzman –
That was an exemplary job of cherry-picking to establish your false narrative.
Did you learn that from the Chicken Little climate change mongers?

mtzman February 10, 2020 at 10:03 AM

Glad you were impressed there, HP. It helps when we have leftist operators of this site. Of course, you didn’t address the facts I presented.

Gittyup February 10, 2020 at 4:19 PM

@mtzman And, what makes you think the Governor of California has been running things in California for the past 40 years? The politics of the Governor are just one aspect of the total political landscape, I am talking about things in California in toto.

mtzman February 10, 2020 at 6:06 PM

Thank you, Gittyup. You just confirmed my point. The governor is just one aspect of the total political landscape, so remember that next time you blame Gavin Newsom for all the troubles in the world.

Gittyup February 10, 2020 at 9:39 PM

mtzman, I don’t blame Gavin Newsom for all the troubles in the world. Just the ones in he neglected to address while Mayor of San Francisco and everything he’s done since he’s been Governor. Unfortunately, at this time he has the cooperation of the legislature so he’s making strides to oblivion full speed ahead. How dare he ignore the vote of the people and “pause” the execution of prisoners who have death sentences. It is a dangerous precedent he has set, and he is a dangerous man.

james February 11, 2020 at 3:34 AM

All the liberals can say is “don’t hate” , “hey man ,that’s fear mongering”
Foodies,go take another bonghit and ignore realty some more.It’s all free anyway..

james February 11, 2020 at 3:40 AM

Yogurt a growing popualtion does not mean a growing economy,its the opposite,because many of the growing population are low education low skill,or just cant or wont work.These are not productive citizens,these countries send their worst here to get rid of them.It’s not old news,but facts the left pretends don’t exist.

Hanne Jeppesen February 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM

Afforable and available medical care should not be considered a handout. We have no control, for the most part, over illnesses and ailments. We do have control over how hard we work and l believe hard work should be rewarded, if you are lazy you don’t deserve handout. The European’s l know work just as hard as the American’s l know.

Hanne Jeppesen February 9, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Guess l should be more careful in ny explanation, l’m defending the system in the country l was born, just like l will defend my adopted country USA, no country or system is perfect. By the way Denmark has national health care, but you can also buy private insurance should you choose to and can afford it.

To Do List February 11, 2020 at 11:38 AM

I think the idea of a mixed system with private health insurance and a public option is interesting. I am not saying I am in favor of it or against it, just that it is interesting. It is an option that should be explored to at least make an informed judgement about. Unfortunately, we do not get that kind of information from the politicians. They are like children arguing over who should have the ball on the playground, so to them it is just a battle over socialism vs. capitalism with no interesting in looking at tradeoffs or details. Even capitalism needs rules as the Sherman and other anti-trust laws were passed because the railroad and other industries were causing great harm to the economy. The medical industry seems to be going that same direction. We used to have lots of choices in insurance and it was actually not very expensive. Now it is ridiculously expensive and can be traced to the industry aggressively maximizing profits. The CEO of United Health Care has no real background in medicine, and instead is from an accounting firm and pulled in $12 million dollar in compensation for himself last year. But I am also aware that in a country with socialized medicine you can get diagnosed with cancer and be told to come in for the first available appointment which is a whole year from now.

HappyPappy February 10, 2020 at 11:02 AM

A recap of why that hateful partisan coup attempt failed –

The Russia investigation failed because the FBI and CIA leadership wanted to think Trump colluded with Russia. They all knew that was BS and still charged ahead into the dark. What should we do about that?

The phony Russia probe and the Mueller circus investigation were based on a false dossier paid for by the DNC. What should we do about that?

The FBI, CIA, and DoJ leadership used these documents knowing that they were a fraud. But the leadership wanted to spy on and undermine the Trump administration. It was a coup attempt, sure as the sky is blue. What should we do about that?

The impeachment failed because some unidentified whistleblower came forward with lies of a Ukraine phone call. We know this because;
(1) Inspector General Michael Atkinson clandestinely changed the rules to allow the whistleblower to file a complaint based only on hearsay evidence. What should we do about that?
(2) the whistleblower’s secret pal joined Adam Schiff’s gang of criminals before it was launched. These are not coincidences folks, they are evidence of a deliberate plot to destroy the President. What should we do about that?
And don’t forget….Trump declassified that phone call PROVING the TRUTH and proving Shiftt and his band of thieves were liars. Still those criminals charged ahead into the dark. What should we do about that?

We should take a page from the lunatic democrats and protest in front of Congress, disrupt their sessions, write to newspaper editors, call your Senator and House rep, threaten to vote them out and do it, and for the right price Al Sharpton would sell out his own mother, let’s hire him.
At the least we should all, Democrats and Republicans, recoil to the horror that the Intelligence Community and the DoJ could be weaponized against a sitting president. Spying, planting informants, the use of purely partisan Democrats’ opposition research to create a fake criminal narrative. How could decent Americans allow the rule of law to be twisted and broken in such a horrible fashion?
And these criminal plotters used scorched-earth tactics; surprising Trump supporters with unannounced interviews to create perjury traps, threatening their children with jail time, sending SWAT teams to kick in their doors at 3 a.m., raiding his lawyers’ offices to search for dirt, and placing a defendant for a nonviolent white-collar crime in solitary confinement.
Yes, those ba**ta*ds did all that and more.
So what are you doing about it?

Jojo Potato February 11, 2020 at 4:05 PM

Congratulations for your complete mastery of Trump/FOX lies. You get a gold star!

HappyPappy February 11, 2020 at 11:30 PM

Please feel free to disprove anything I wrote, potatoboy. Or you could simply admit you you’re a deluded fool. That works for me.

Rollo Tomasi February 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM

HappyPappy – like you, I eagerly await Jojo’s well reasoned and cogent rebuttal.

Moses February 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM

To the ~HappyPappy~

No appropriate way to debunk the ranting of a disturbed individual like yourself, better to let it stand as a prima facia example of what happens when you abandon logic and independent thought, and instead consume the slop at the fox barnyard feed chute.
You will reap what you sow.

HappyPappy February 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM

Rollo –
His shame alone should be enough to shut him up. 😉

Jojo Potato February 12, 2020 at 11:33 AM

One key word that gives away your brainwashed arguments as Trump/FOX propaganda: “coup”. Try searching the internet for “fox news coup” and you will see how these lies were all developed. Sad.

Rollo Tomasi February 12, 2020 at 12:02 PM

“No appropriate way to debunk the ranting …”

That’s ridiculous. One only needs to restate a claim(s) made in the original comment and make a rebuttal. Your statement is the epitome of intellectual laziness.

Rollo Tomasi February 12, 2020 at 12:08 PM

Jojo, your continued objection to the word “coup” is duly noted and hereby rejected. The media routinely uses hyperbole for impact. CNN and MSNBC have used the terms dictator, monarch, authoritarian, mob boss, etc in referring to the President, and I don’t remember any objections from you being posted here.

Still awaiting your well reasoned and cogent rebuttal…

Ozzie February 11, 2020 at 1:01 PM

Trump in New Hampshire about impeachment.

“In the House, we won 196 to nothing, and then we got three Democrats,”

“Other than Romney, we got 52 to nothing. That’s something,” he stated.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has no understanding of what happened and just knows he survived to go on to do whatever he wants. He probably doesn’t know that there are 3 branches of government, each with specific duties and rights. A dictator/king would just dismiss anything adverse to him.

james February 11, 2020 at 2:32 PM

Did you stay up all night dreaming up such meaninglessness?
Are you showing off some govt facts YOU just learned?

John Hemm February 12, 2020 at 9:26 AM

45 attacks Vindman for telling the truth, and wants Stone’s sentence for lying to Congress to be a lighter sentence….and Repulicrooks fall in line.

John Hemm February 12, 2020 at 9:27 AM

John Hemm February 12, 2020 at 9:27 AM

John Hemm February 12, 2020 at 9:27 AM

Rollo Tomasi February 13, 2020 at 8:43 AM

Vindman had a habit of ignoring the chain of command. That SHOULD get you fired from any NSC position. Since when is firing an employee for cause an “attack”?

No need for me to write this four times. Once is plenty.

HappyPappy February 13, 2020 at 11:25 AM

@ Rollo –
Sure seems like Hemm will swallow anything fed to him by any left wing nut. And tell us four times over too.

Atticus Thraxx February 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM

That’s a bald faced lie. Col. Vindman acted per his sworn oath. Stop dragging down military people to prop up your degenerate criminal president. That sh*t has to stop like immediately.
Having said that, Trump is free to hire and fire who he wants, it is his administration, malignant as it might be. Just be straight about it and don’t spread lies.

Fred P. February 13, 2020 at 1:22 PM

@john hemm….

Have problems repeating yourself?
Have problems repeating yourself?
Have problems repeating yourself?
Have problems repeating yourself?

Or are you just talking to yourself again???

HappyPappy February 13, 2020 at 2:28 PM

So Vindman’s a good soldier and a swell guy, he may also have been gravely mistaken in his attempts to control policy.
I couldn’t help noticing that he used the bulk of his time in front of the House boasting about his record and accomplishments in stead of testifying.
I’m suspicious of people who feel the need to tell me how great they are to set the stage for their sales pitch.

JWB February 13, 2020 at 3:18 PM

@HP

you’re too funny. So you are such a Trump supporter because he is never “boasting about his record and accomplishments”?

Not even you can say this with a straight face.

Jojo Potato February 13, 2020 at 3:49 PM

ROTFL

HappyPappy February 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM

JWB –
The topic was Vindman. I guess you failed to recognize that simple fact.

BTW, when your pack of crooks, liars, and far left wing socialists can give us someone who is from the real center I’d consider giving them my vote. Until than Trump has my vote. He ain’t perfect but he’s far better than any of those Democrat bozos currently running. Good grief, they’re pathetic.
Good to know you’ve been following along.
As always, feel free to disprove anything I post.

Gittyup February 13, 2020 at 4:03 PM

Why keep someone around who has obviously shown they are working against you? Personally, I’m glad the President of this nation is smarter than that.

Rollo Tomasi February 13, 2020 at 6:06 PM

“That’s a bald faced lie”

Tim Morrison, Vindman’s direct supervisor at the NSC, testified UNDER OATH, that there were numerous personnel at the NSC who questioned Vindman’s judgment. After the July 25 call, Vindman went directly to NSC legal staff rather than reporting his concerns to his direct superior, thus ignoring the chain of command.

So perhaps direct your vitriol at Tim Morrison. A nasty note might do the trick. Be sure to use your “that sh*t has to stop like immediately” line. Maybe it will have a little more impact on Morrison than it does on me.

HappyPappy February 12, 2020 at 10:38 AM

Are you people nuts? Did you fall asleep or not pay attention?” Deranged hateful Democrats rolled out their unfair, corrupt and baseless impeachment dog & pony show against Trump and the American people. Their folly intentionally destroyed the lives of innocent people associated with Trump, while viciously attacking Trump’s family. What should we do about that?
In their outrageous arrogance, Democrats actually tried to impeach Trump for simply functioning within his presidential authority and performing his duty to the American people. Yet they remained silent when Obama committed real crimes against America, What should we do about that?
Despite his acquittal, raging Democrats and fake comprised news media keep feeding us more of the same BS with their lies that Trump is guilty of crimes against America and must be removed immediately. What should we do about that?
Here’s a question for you mindless haters;
How does Trump play nice with an opposing party that wants him politically dead? Why aren’t you guys doing something about Democrats and fake news media for their inability to move forward for the good of the country?
C’mon all you “forward ” thinking democrats, show us what you’ve got!
I’m guessing NOTHING!

Fred P. February 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM

They still can’t get over the FACT that Trump WON the election…. and they’re still sore over it, as demonstrated by their witch hunt and demands for impeachment starting the day after he was sworn in.

Now they want to change the rules to (effectively) negate the Electoral College…..meaning they prefer the “popular vote” and thereby cause the 3-4 most populous (ie, democrat strongholds) to decide who becomes president – at the expense of the other 46-47 states. Obviously they know nothing about WHY the Electoral College was put in place.

Know what a democracy is? It’s two wolves and a sheep deciding what’s for dinner…mob rule.

The only “forward thinking” the democrats have to offer is “what can I do to get anything I want…”

NEVER trust a liberal. NEVER!

Ozzie February 12, 2020 at 11:25 AM

Trump told reporters on Tuesday that there were “probably 40 or 50,000 people” at his rally in New Hampshire that was actually held in a venue with a capacity of 11,770 attendees.

Ozzie February 12, 2020 at 11:36 AM

Odd that the best economy ever requires a cut to federal employee pay raises due to “national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare,” https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/message-congress-2021-alternative-plan-pay-adjustments/

Fred P. February 12, 2020 at 7:06 PM

And let’s hear about the budget SURPLUS in California, whine they’re wanting to raise taxes.

Lying Democrats…

Ozzie February 12, 2020 at 4:19 PM

Despicable. They’re not entitlements we paid taxes for them.

Vote them out.

After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

HappyPappy February 13, 2020 at 9:13 AM

Here is a comprehensive list of everything you’re entitled to and everything the world owes you:

Fred P. February 13, 2020 at 6:37 AM

Social Security is an entitlement??????

BS!!!!!!

Jojo Potato February 13, 2020 at 10:58 AM

If I put money into my savings account then I am entitled to take it back out. Right? So that money that I have paid into social security I am entitled to take it out. Right?

Jojo Potato February 13, 2020 at 11:11 AM

Headline from the BBC: “Venezuela holds uncle of opposition leader Juan Guaidó”. And we all think, wow that leader is really an evil dictator, going after opposition family members like that! But isn’t that exactly what Mr.Trump did? He fired Alexander Vindman since he was mad about his testimony. And then made sure that his brother Yevgeny was fired too, with no explanation. Very sad state for my country that’s for sure.

To Do List February 13, 2020 at 2:23 PM

Jojo, I see that you believe Trump is acting like a dictator because he fired someone. So you believe he is acting like the dictator in Venezuela. There are some differences. According to the UN, there are about five thousand people being executed by death squads every year in Venezuela because of their political views.

Jojo Potato February 13, 2020 at 3:47 PM

No, Let’s take an example. Your brother gets fired because he does something that his boss doesn’t like. So you are now fired too, just because you are his brother. Is that the way America is supposed to work? I hope not.

To Do List February 13, 2020 at 4:56 PM

A couple of things, the trivial one first. I do not believe anyone has a civil right to work in the White House, it is a privilege. If anything happens or any information is available to not trust a person in that position, I think they should be guilty until proven innocent. Note that Congress already recognizes this problem of sensitivity of the work, and exempts itself from the Fair Labor Laws for interns and others. Neither I nor you are outraged about this.

Second, and more important is the way over the top exaggerations that are normalized for talking about Trump. He is not a dictator and never will be. I am not singling you out for these exaggerations because Bernie sounds totally unhinged with his descriptions of Trump. I have relatives and family friends that have been in revolutions and lived under dictators and socialism. Using such words to describe someone because you don’t like them is just crazy. Under a real dictator, Vindman and his brother would be found in a burned out car somewhere and several members of Congress would be in front of firing squads. When Bernie talks like this it really makes me question his judgement. Its fine for you to say that I guess cause this is just a forum. But he says it and means it and it is a big part of his platform.

JWB February 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM

actually that’s wrong.

I posted earlier the definition of entitlement as can be found on US Senate website.

The way Social Security has been implemented is that it is a Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law.

The program is funded by a payroll tax. So if you meet the eligibility requirements you’re entitled to the benefit, but it has nothing to do with having paid in (other than that one of the requirements is to have established enough credits).

Jojo Potato February 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM

National politics right in our back yard. Mike Bloomberg has opened an office in Pleasant Hill at 598 Patterson Blvd. Just north of Oak Park Blvd. I’m sure they would like some volunteers if you are interested.