The Water Cooler – Real Christmas Tree Or Fake Christmas Tree?

December 2, 2019 12:02 pm · 37 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

QUESTION: Do you get a real Christmas tree every year, or do you have a fake Christmas tree? Tell us why you chose either one.

Talk about it….

Future Catlady December 2, 2019 at 12:15 PM

These days I go for the artificial tree. It is not messy but is Eco-friendly. As much as I enjoy the scent of the real trees, I do not care for having pine needles everywhere. Plus the cost seems to go up each year 🙁

qwerty December 2, 2019 at 7:42 PM

Plastic trees are not eco-friendly. The manufacturing of plastics for one million fake “trees” does more damage than the eco-beneficial growing of one million real trees on a farm.

Simonpure December 2, 2019 at 12:18 PM

We do a Norfolk Pine we have in a planter. It;s about 3 1/2 feet tall now. Very hard to keep her alive in the winter months. They don’t do cold so well.

S December 2, 2019 at 12:27 PM

Festivus Pole. Because.

Future Catlady December 2, 2019 at 1:20 PM

Festivus for the rest of us!!!

Chicken Little December 2, 2019 at 12:29 PM

Live potted tree. After Christmas, it goes back outside. When it grows too big, it gets planted in the yard and the cycle repeats.

Kentucky Derby December 2, 2019 at 12:29 PM

I’ve had a real tree all my life. Fake trees aren’t the same, especially for kids. Kids love picking out a tree. A real Christmas tree is more authentic, but I understand why others choose fake trees. They don’t want to spend the money, nor do they want to go pick out a tree. Fake trees probably are easier.

online class December 2, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Here’s the results of our class vote:
Real-1
Fake-4
Abstain-3

As a group, we like fake christmas trees better because:
They’re cheaper in the long term
They’re cleaner and don’t need watering
They come pre-lighted
They’re easier to hang decorations on
They are easier to stand up.

In our opinion, fake Christmas trees are better than real ones.

Concordejet December 2, 2019 at 12:44 PM

None too lazy

Cellophane December 2, 2019 at 1:09 PM

No tree, no Festivus Pole, nothing for me.

I’ll look forward to when it’s all over.

Dwight Schrute December 2, 2019 at 1:20 PM

Asked my kids 8 years ago their thoughts…went artificial and haven’t looked back since. And yes, they both agreed that fake>real.

Dilemma solved

Tal December 2, 2019 at 1:36 PM

Last year was a living tree, this year,I’m decorating a tree outside, nothing indoors. It’s great to see the lights out the door. Magic.

Rob December 2, 2019 at 1:37 PM

Fake Tree – I have no desire to haul a tree home, deal with the setup and maintenance and then disposal…

Gittyup December 2, 2019 at 1:40 PM

Have had both, but prefer the live Christmas tree because it makes the house smell so good.

Bad Nombre December 2, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Someone once said that Christmas should be called “Disarbor Day” or even “Pearl Arbor Day”.

OIFVET December 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM

This year we went fake, we have always had real trees in the past. But last years tree died after 2 weeks and the selection has got bad but the prices have gone up.
The wife got a “Bentley” of Christmas trees and it looks wonderful. It even came with scent stinks with it, we are now fans no vacuum no sap on the hands, and cutting it up to fit in the bag for garbage day.

Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!!!!!!!

The Wizard December 2, 2019 at 2:18 PM

A vintage aluminum tree with a color wheel.

Kirkwood December 2, 2019 at 4:41 PM

I had a coworker who brought home an aluminum tree – his 3 boys cried. 🙁

Roz December 2, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Oh how cool,….I have wonderful memories of the one my cousin had.

Local Lady December 3, 2019 at 4:40 PM

My mom was allergic to pine trees so at one point we had one of those magical aluminum trees with a color wheel. So much fun setting it up and watching it sparkle!

The Fractionator December 2, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Allergies = Fake Tree all the way!

Natalie December 2, 2019 at 2:50 PM

There are Christmas tree kits, where you can assemble a “tree” from cardboard or wood parts. These kits can be disassembled after the season, stored away and reused. Much better than plastic. These are very Eco-friendly.

Real Christmas trees are grown on local farms and are meant to be cut down, then replaced with new saplings. Buying a Christmas tree isn’t adding to deforestation; they don’t come from protected lands. Many small farmers depend on Christmas tree sales to support their farms. Trees grown on farms can also help provide habitat for birds and other animals.

A real tree can be turned into mulch or cut up to make a new planter bed or given to a local green waste collection service where they are composted. The wood from a real tree can also be re-used for arts and crafts projects.

You can also buy live saplings for a small Christmas tree and plant it outside after the Christmas season is over. Or you can get some other type of small tree or shrub, then plant it outside later on. You can also buy an indoor plant and decorate it, and keep it indoors after the season is over.

Angel December 2, 2019 at 5:25 PM

We went and cut ours out in Apple Hill. They have you cut 3 ft from the ground so the tree can regrow. Fun day had by all..

KP December 2, 2019 at 3:01 PM

I’m with Concordjet. Too lazy for either. I opt for a wreath only.

Justifiable Languor December 2, 2019 at 4:01 PM

The house is too small for a floor tree. Years ago I was given a potted table top tree, and that has been very nice every year since. I buy a wreath from Trader Joes and/or Costco too. I love the smell of fir.

American First December 2, 2019 at 4:45 PM

I have a potted arborvitae… it’s close enough to a ‘tree’ for us.

Led December 2, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Real. Obviously a fake one is more convenient. But traditions suck or disappear entirely if they get trimmed down to only the easiest thing. What makes traditions live is the time and effort people spend together doing something, over generations. I’m not judging people for making the call in favor of a fake tree, all things considered. (And I’m sure lots of more rural and traditional folks would laugh at me talking about tradition while picking my still-tied up tree from a big pile of them at Costco.) But there is a loss whenever an element of a tradition fades away in favor of a easily purchased substitute for time and experience. It’s nice to preserve them when we can.

Kentucky Derby December 2, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Not only do real trees smell nice, but an artificial tree is the same tree every year. A real tree looks different every year… because it’s a different tree. Who wants the exact same looking tree every year for 20-30 years? How boring.

Roz December 2, 2019 at 5:39 PM

Have had both,….but neither for awhile. Baby-sitting our daughter’s cats so no tree. Might do something different when we can. Kind of like the idea of using wire frame from a bed crib to hang on the wall to hang the ornaments from.

Justifiable languor December 3, 2019 at 6:29 AM

I have several unconventional “trees” as well. I wake up early and find lamps at that hour annoying so, a pole/stick wrapped with Christmas lights stands between two book cases. This provides cheerful non intrusive lighting while perusing Claycord.

Also have a copper sculpture branch with leaves on the wall that is good for Christmas ornaments. Fun. Beyond elegant though, which I love.

FlyingSpaghettiMonsterCatcher December 2, 2019 at 6:10 PM

OMG!!!……..get a fake one……..so much easier. The only memory I have of going and cutting down our own tree is my dad swearing.

The Fearless Spectator December 2, 2019 at 7:48 PM

It seems a shame to cut down a living thing and watch it die for you in your living room over a period of weeks.

Buy a potted tree, decorate it, and then plant it when the holiday rituals are complete.

Ilovepopcorn December 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM

I always have a fake but fabulous looking pretend tree. I am surrounded by beautiful trees. So I do not feel deprived.

Silva December 3, 2019 at 6:26 AM

My mom bought an artificial tree in a very large, sturdy cardboard box from Monkey Wards around 1967 that mimicked a six foot pine tree. At the time it was quite pricey, but it looked easy to put up and seemed impressively natural looking. The “trunk” was a three inch or so wooden pole with drilled holes angled downward toward the center all around it to put the “branches” into. The “branches” were like giant pipe cleaners made with a large gauge dark green wire and about four inch long rich green, tough yet flexible “needles” all over except for the last few inches where the twisted wire fit neatly into the holes in the dark green “trunk”. Nobody, and (I do mean nobody!) who saw it ever thought it wasn’t a real tree until we told them. If conversations got around to our beautiful Christmas tree we usually mentioned it was artificial. Reactions often ranged from surprise to disbelief, some would think they must’ve heard us wrong, and would respond that yes, the beauty of a real tree just couldn’t be imitated. People would typically go over to the tree and take a close look, often times they reached out and gave a clump of needles or a bough tip a feel. It was so convincing, and we’ve never seen another artificial tree to rival it. The only thing missing was the smell. Nowadays we would just have a bottle of pine or cedar or some essential tree oil to spray around. My mom tried to give it to me a few years after I moved away and she wanted to make space in the garage. I had even less space at the time and couldn’t take it, so she donated it. In my current household we’ve been through a very long phase when at least someone wanted to have a real tree just about every year, but cut trees dry out and drop their needles almost immediately now, and they don’t smell for longer than a day or two, and with prices so high I’m starting to really wish I’d somehow found a space for it.

Bad Nombre December 3, 2019 at 2:40 PM

“Nobody, and (I do mean nobody!) who saw it ever thought it wasn’t a real tree until we told them.”

“Saw”, eh? Family and friends mostly myopic?

chuckie the troll December 3, 2019 at 10:18 AM

None. Our home is smallish so we gave up on trees a long time ago. We decorate the mantle and have a very nice/expensive nativity scene. Lots of candles and Christmas music. But no tree.

Nick December 3, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Real. Only way to go. I go up to Tahoe for thanksgiving, and on black friday we had a tradition to cut down live Christmas trees, normally get 4-5 and in doing so we have to get a permit from forest service and help the forest service thin out the forest by cutting down a tree. There are strict areas and rules on when and where so it’s all to help thin the forest to prevent forest fires, cost $10 each permit and helping the environment.