Claycord – Talk About Local Politics

June 14, 2019 19:00 pm · 5 comments

voted1

This special post is “Talk About LOCAL Politics”.

Please use this post to talk about LOCAL politics, and keep state and national politics out of this thread.

Thank you, and be kind to each other.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Bob Foo June 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM

Mark Coon

anotheranon June 20, 2019 at 12:23 AM

I just watched a part of a committee meeting of the Concord City Council, and was struck by a couple things:
the mayor tends to speak with her mouth only partially open, speaking through her teeth much of the time. When she did speak, she talked, and talked, and talked. I never thought I’d see the day when anyone would out talk the former mayor, Laure Hoffmeister, who certainly had a way with words; lots of words. I guess this is a good example of “if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, you baffle them with B–S—.” What ever happened to brevity? And, before I’m accused of sexism, I didn’t get to watch and listen to the three male councilmembers speak; I fell asleep.

Concord Mike June 20, 2019 at 2:09 PM

@anotheranon, I think the mayor does a good job managing the meetings. It is not that easy to do.

anotheranon June 20, 2019 at 6:16 PM

@Concord Mike:
My comment had nothing to do with the quality of the Mayor’s leadership, it pertained to the lack of brevity in her speech. Too many words tend to lose the audience, and so many pols just seem to want to be heard. As I previously stated, whatever happened to brevity? (which means being brief) Maybe concise would also apply. Something our younger generations might recognize, would be KISS. (keep it simple, stupid) And that isn’t directed at you, Mike.

Lawrence Cantwell, Esq. June 21, 2019 at 8:20 AM

On, June 19, 2019, once again the tense issue of rent control was before the Concord City Council. As an attorney I was interested. The possible cost seemed to be glossed over. If Concord is going to develop naval weapons station, that money is going to be borrowed by the way of municipal bonds, and the interest rate we pay may be elevated if the investment community sees a rent controlled Concord now as the “Berkeley” of the outer East Bay.
If Concord believes there is a group that needs assistance here, why are we dumping it all on the landlords? Everything has gone up, food, entertainment, medical care, etc., and that all burdens this needy group.
Even the tenant group at the meeting rejected the 5% rent control cap as ineffective.
What the landlords, tenants, and the City Council, have yet to realize is that the law no longer supports rent control. It can be circumvented. If we bring it here our landlords may just stumble across that fact and the legacy will be the collapse of rent control in Concord and throughout California.