WCPD, CPD Cite 33 Drivers For Failing To Yield To Pedestrians In Walnut Creek Crosswalks

June 11, 2019 8:00 am · 29 comments

Traffic Teams from the Walnut Creek Police Department and Concord Police Department recently partnered to monitor several highly traveled pedestrian intersections in Walnut Creek with the mission of enforcement and education.

During the operation, 44 vehicles were stopped. Out of those 44 vehicles, 33 drivers were cited for failing to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Five drivers were cited for other moving violations and six drivers were warned.

Catlady June 11, 2019 at 8:38 AM

I am glad Walnut Creek is working on pedestrian safety. I have experienced more close calls in Walnut Creek crosswalks than in San Francisco. The worst are drivers who try to quickly turn left instead of yielding to oncoming traffic at unprotected left turns. I can’t even count how many times I have almost been mowed over crossing Main Street at Civic Drive by impatient drivers.

S June 11, 2019 at 8:44 AM

So what was the order of the day? How was it decided who gets a ticket and who a warning??? I know officers have discretion, but in this day and age somebody may complain about unfairness….

ps: I’m all for this type of enforcement….

Anon June 11, 2019 at 8:48 AM

What About The Pedestrians Who Fail To Yield To Common sense and just step out into traffic???

Old-school guy June 11, 2019 at 9:30 AM

They should be concerned about the law of physics.

Medina June 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM

I feel your pain however if they’re in the crosswalk they’re in the crosswalk. I attend Kaiser there and I’ve had many close calls and I am handicapped and I walk with a cane and even that does not discourage people from trying to speed by me while I’m in the crosswalk

Sarah June 11, 2019 at 6:58 PM

Unfortunately pedestrians have the right of way at any street corner regardless of if there is a crosswalk. They would basically have to jump in front of a car or cross randomly in the middle of the street from the sidewalk (not at a corner).

Justifiable Languor June 11, 2019 at 8:53 AM

I have a question.

Scenario: Pedestrian steps onto crosswalk.
Does a a vehicle have to wait until both feet of pedestrian are fully deposited at other side of crosswalk to proceed? I hope that makes sense.

AnonZ June 11, 2019 at 10:08 AM

This “law” needs much clarification. About 20 years ago, at traffic school, taught by a CHP guy; he told us that if there is a median in the middle of the street, you do not have to stop until the Ped is at the median. Example: Car on Treat Blvd approaching Clayton Road. Stops at 4-way intersection. Crosswalk light goes green for Peds standing on Safeway corner walking towards Car waiting to turn, they step into the crosswalk……. Driver(s) can turn right until the Ped reaches the median in the middle of 6 lanes, at which point you must stop and let them pass until they’ve reached the sidewalk.

I would really love clarification from CPD if this is still correct!

Jojo Potato June 11, 2019 at 10:42 AM

I always wait until the pedestrian has both feet on the destination sidewalk ( or median if there is one). It’s always seemed right to me. Sorry to be so old fashioned.

Sarah June 11, 2019 at 6:59 PM

It’s 10 feet away from the car. So that could be why some cars only got warnings. But doesn’t have to be all the way on on the other side.

John P June 11, 2019 at 8:57 AM

Had a meeting in WC the day they ran this sting and saw an officer sitting in the shadows at the crosswalk on S Broadway near Nordstroms. Chatted for a bit about Concord’s last sting on Oakland near BART many years ago. Wished we had more officers to nail the creeps who ignore pedestrian rights of way. I then used the crosswalk and everyone stopped! Glad no one got a ticket. It’s that damn simple, people.

Kentucky Derby June 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Yielding to pedestrians is common courtesy. As a pedestrian, I make eye contact with a driver before stepping out. If the driver leaves me with the impression that he or she doesn’t want to let me cross, I’ll wait patiently before I’ll put myself in the position of becoming a close call. There are plenty of polite, respectful drivers who will allow me to cross, even if they’re in a hurry.

And, yes – I’m well aware the pedestrians doesn’t always have the right of way. The driver will always win, and I play it safe. It would be nice if drivers and pedestrians used common sense. Stay safe…

Barlie June 11, 2019 at 3:49 PM

I wait until someone waves me across also. If the pedestrian is dead, the fact that they had the right of way will be of little consolation to their family. You need to use basic common sense.

WC June 11, 2019 at 9:21 AM

When are WCPD and CPD going to enforce the Treat Bl. Drag Strip?

West Leland June 11, 2019 at 9:29 AM

I think every populated area needs one of these once in a while. Laws have to matter for order to happen.

Double Dzzz June 11, 2019 at 9:35 AM

“Go get em Jon and Ponch !

anon June 11, 2019 at 10:02 AM

If they did the violation & got stopped (why else dis they get stopped??) –they should get a ticket…they will do it again as they have done before

Mike June 11, 2019 at 10:31 AM

I work at WC Ford and cross Main Street 2x a day coming/going to the garage on Locust.

The 2 crosswalks that are not at lights (one by Honda) and one by Target (not the one with the flasher) are very dangerous….
I always wait until there is a gap in traffic before I leave the curb……
Even doing that, it’s the cars on the other 1/2 of the street that tend to never notice people in the crosswalks.

Pyrrhus June 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM

All crosswalks in heavy foot traffic areas should have protected crosswalks where no traffic is moving at all (including right turns). As a pedestrian you have to look out for cars turning right who are not paying attention. As a driver it is frustrating being unable to make a right turn on a green due to the sheer amount of people crossing the street. The safest thing is to have a crosswalk like on the Olympic and Main intersection. Pedestrians can cross any which way they want when it’s their turn. and car’s don’t have to worry about watching out for pedestrians.

Jojo Potato June 11, 2019 at 12:01 PM

That Main and Olympic crosswalk seems to confuse pedestrians. Often while driving there the peds don’t take advantage of the diagonal. The lines are short and pretty faded. Maybe need a freshen up.

Fred P. June 11, 2019 at 10:48 AM

I think some drivers consider crosswalks as crosshairs….

Here we go again June 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM

I have to give credit for this one person I’ve seen twice. There’s a blonde woman walking on Concord Blvd. that I’m pretty sure wears earbuds. I wanted to make a right onto Landana, but she did have that little man that said walk, she looked and made eye contact with me before crossing. Also another time, I saw her walking passed the High School, and she made it a point to look and see if cars were wanting to go into the High School before crossing. It might seem like nothing to some, but my point is, Pedestrians need to pay attention, and so do drivers. And for drivers making a right onto Landana. If the light is red, please make a complete stop before turning.

The Fearless Spectator June 11, 2019 at 3:12 PM

That sweep was a good idea and a good review of the rules. Hopefully they will do something similar and ticket “The Walnut Creek Stop”. This consists of approaching a stop sign, slow down enough to make eye contact with the driver who actually has the right of way, then run the stop sign anyway. Extra style points for balancing a cell phone and a vente mocha.

Abbie R. June 11, 2019 at 10:06 PM

I’ll never forget the day in 1977 when a Walnut Creek Police Officer stopped in the right hand lane, by the then new parking garage, to allow My brother and I to cross at the crosswalk, We took one step into the street when Lady driving a car, in the left lane flew by right in front of Us. The Officer looked at Us to see if we were still alive, then took off with His red light after the driver that nearly hit Us.

John P June 11, 2019 at 10:36 PM

Similar story. Drove cab in SF after getting out of the Army. Sitting in the right lane on Post at Stockton (both one way streets) around 11PM. Cop car pulls up on my left. Light for us turns green but we both see this jerk doing 40+ on Stockton is running the light. Cops look at me with disbelief and I give them a thumbs motion for them to go get him. They turn on the lights, cut in front of me and chase him. I assumed they caught up to him somewhere. Feels good when you see miscreants get busted.

Robert Akins June 12, 2019 at 7:49 AM

I watched one individual cross the street in front of a moving car. The car was stopped and not the pedestrian. Is that fair?

Jeff June 12, 2019 at 9:02 AM

While I am in favor of the enforcement program, almost hit in WC crosswalk two weeks ago, I am not in favor of borrowing other cities resources to accomplish the goal. Who was watching the streets of Concord that day??? WC does have 28 Reserve Officers who could assist in the special project.

108RS

Melanie Harris June 12, 2019 at 9:35 AM

I have the opposite problem here in Rossmoor. When walking my dog I stop back from the curb and wait until there are no cars before crossing the street. Cars stop and wait for me to cross even though I am not near the curb or crosswalk. I wave them on, but many times the car behind does the same thing. Here in Rossmoor drivers are sometimes very, very good, but when they are bad they are horrid!

sean flint June 12, 2019 at 9:21 PM

I work across the street from where this picture was taken. there are no left turn and no u turn signs posted all over that T intersection on main st. by B of A and Starbucks. every day I see people taking lefts and u turns there and one day saw a lady do a full 360. people have been hit crossing there at least 4 times that I know of in the last few years and I for one was very pleased to see the police watching for the fools that drive too fast, talk on their cell phones and generally have no regard for anyone but them selves.