Bay Area’s First Spare The Air Alert Of 2019 Issued For Sunday

June 8, 2019 16:00 pm · 22 comments

A combination of expected sizzling temperatures, light winds and vehicle exhaust have prompted Bay Area air district officials to issue a Spare the Air smog alert for Sunday, the first of 2019.

Residents should avoid driving on Sunday to help reduce the amount of pollution, said Jack Broadbent, executive officer of the Air District.

“Leaving our cars at home and walking, biking or taking transit, instead of driving alone, will help reduce unhealthy air pollution so we can all breathe easier,” Broadbent said.

There is no free transit, and no wood burning ban in place for Sunday.

There were 13 Spare the Air alerts during the summer last year, according to the district.

Spare the Air Alerts are issued when ozone pollution is forecast to reach unhealthy levels. Smoke and smog, also known as ozone pollution, is particularly harmful for young children, seniors and those with respiratory
and heart conditions. When a Spare the Air Alert is issued, outdoor exercise should be done only in the early morning hours when ozone concentrations are lower, according to the air district.

West Leland June 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM

Ever since I moved back from the North Bay, I’ve been surprised by how smoggy the air is here. Not sure how much a spare the air day is going to help though.

jon s June 8, 2019 at 6:38 PM

And please refrain from having a fire,oh windblown snowflakes.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 8, 2019 at 10:10 PM

I’d advise all to refrain from using the men’s room at Best Buy in P-Hill today too! especially young children, seniors and those with respiratory and heart conditions………..Phew!

Silva June 9, 2019 at 8:12 AM

It’s okay Doctor Jellyfinger, you’re forgiven. These things happen and can’t really be helped. Well I have heard a little spritz bottle of essential oil with Isopropyl alcohol sprayed on the water just before you go may help a bit, but I don’t really know.

BURNBABYBURN June 9, 2019 at 6:12 AM

“from my cold, dead hands.”

Justifiable anger June 9, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Too many people!

Silva June 9, 2019 at 8:51 AM

Bob Foo June 9, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Do you have children?

Silva June 9, 2019 at 10:00 PM

Bob Foo, after giving it a good bit of thought I really wasn’t going to, but then in my thirties with trepidation and misgivings I let myself get talked into making one of those, and our child made two more so yeah, we contributed.

Bob Foo June 10, 2019 at 12:22 AM

Thank you for your honesty.

My main point being, if you’ve created new life then it seems pretty wrong to complain about overpopulation.

Silva June 10, 2019 at 8:53 AM

As my family lineages on both my parents sides would’ve literally died out without my one addition, I stand firm on my right to complain. My complaints are limited to the shortsighted ones who produce more than two. I grew up in a time when children had freedom of movement and playing in the streets and creeks and leaving the doors open. For me it’s about the world the young ones will end up with through no fault of their own.

Bob Foo June 10, 2019 at 9:53 AM

If you actually cared about overpopulation, you wouldn’t have kids at all.

You’re just an old coot who likes to complain. You can’t even put your money where your mouth is.

I have 0 kids, by the way.

Gittyup June 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Population grows exponentially, that is, if one has two children and each of them has two children, one has contributed six additional individuals to the planet in only one generation, much more than just replacing oneself. Factor that out over several generations and is it any wonder the planet is in trouble.

Justifiable anger June 10, 2019 at 10:45 AM

Silva: I pay taxes for others to get educated, receive retirement and healthcare. Countless services. We didn’t have kids. I agree about the world of today, vastly different from the past you and I enjoyed.

Bob Foo. Quit yer b*tch*ng. lol. I won the contest by a country mile.

Silva June 12, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Bob Foo, I don’t wonder that you have 0 kids. 😉

Chicken Little June 9, 2019 at 9:20 AM

I will pay just as much attention to this alert as I have to others in the past. I promise not to have a fire in my fireplace when it’s 90+ degrees outside, though.

rob June 9, 2019 at 9:42 AM
WC June 9, 2019 at 10:56 AM

The way the wind is blowing today? What a joke.

Cellophane June 9, 2019 at 1:49 PM

STA issued for Monday too.

joatmeal June 9, 2019 at 3:55 PM

Cue the angry people.

rob June 9, 2019 at 5:19 PM
ZZ June 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM

Yay, it’s spare the air day!