Claycord – Talk About Whatever

June 7, 2019 21:10 pm · 81 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Cowellian June 7, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Cowellian’s First

wave June 7, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Wave first, AGAIN!!

concord ygnacio June 7, 2019 at 9:29 PM

Larkey Park Neighbors United in Walnut Creek have delivered an open letter opposing the drive-thru of the proposed Amy’s Kitchen:

Mama 2 two June 7, 2019 at 11:52 PM

Where can we go to get a decent French dip?

Antler June 8, 2019 at 8:16 AM

Ed’s Mudville Grill in Clayton is where I saw some which LOOKED delicious being served to people at tables adjacent to ours.

Silva June 8, 2019 at 10:01 AM

Mmmmm….🤤

Reality Bites June 8, 2019 at 10:21 AM

WiseGirl in Pleasant Hill..It’s Prime Rib french dip…like butta!!

Dr. Jellyfinger June 8, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Antler! Try the French Dip at Ed’s… it is terrific!
You too Mama 2 two… did I say that right?

Anyway, the French Dip at Mudville comes with swiss cheese and caramelized balsamic onions on the meat that just make ’em awesome!

Pulled Pork sandwich is good too so I almost always have one or the other…. or Popcorn Shrimp and a Cesar Salad (name is deceiving,the shrimp are pretty large).

Dr. Jellyfinger June 8, 2019 at 7:21 AM

Not me…. I reached the pinnacle of success 2 weeks ago when I won both last & first on the same evening. Quitting now while I’m on top !
Yeah I was pretty proud of myself…..
But after the 12 hour alcohol fueled victory celebration & hot tub orgy, I had to reflect and take stock of what I was doing…..spending so much time and effort to win this meaningless weekly competition…. so many other important things I set by the wayside…. I could have spent time:
Volunteering at the soup kitchen (as official taster), polishing my knob collection, completing the final edit of my extended version of “The 12 Days of Christmas”, finding yet another ingredient to stuff Chile Rellenos with, being the first person to pogo stick all the way up to the summit of Mt. Diablo, Taking my turn with Madonna, helping O.J. to find the real killers, Taking my Pinto in for tune up… and on and on… while you guys waste your time battling it out to be “First!’ in the Whatever Column… Gad! what a waste of time.

Shasta Daisy June 8, 2019 at 8:22 AM

You had me cracking up when I got to “taking my Pinto in for a tune up….”

Good morning, Dr. Jellyfinger. Have a beautiful day.
I’m off to hang out with some farmers.

Peace.

S June 8, 2019 at 8:25 AM

but we all get a trophy if we keep trying… Right????

Bob June 8, 2019 at 1:02 PM

Saturdays are never complete without my prescribed dose of zaniness from Dr. J.

You ever serve time?

apollo idol prudence June 9, 2019 at 6:38 PM

polishing your knob collection? Masterpiece!

Tsa June 8, 2019 at 10:31 AM

Great to see the Warriors down 3-1; GO RAPTORS!!!

Ricardoh June 8, 2019 at 2:21 PM

I am not a fan of basketball at all. Don’t understand their rules and don’t want to. However my wife likes B ball so the TV gets hung up for a few hours. No big deal but I hope the Raptors win the next game and it is over with. The way the pros play it’s a dumb game. It is more like who can knock the other guy down and get away with it.

Cellophane June 8, 2019 at 11:30 AM

A Spare the Air Alert is in effect, Sunday, June 9, for the San Francisco Bay Area.

Concentrations of ground-level ozone pollution are forecast to be unhealthy. High levels of ozone pollution are harmful to breathe, especially for young children, seniors and those with respiratory and heart conditions.

Exhaust from vehicles on Bay Area roads accounts for more than half of the air pollution in the region. Bay Area residents are asked to drive less to reduce smog and improve air quality in the region. Residents are also encouraged to consider an all-electric vehicle as their next vehicle purchase to help reduce the amount of gas powered vehicles that contribute to unhealthy smog.

Change your daily commute by carpooling, vanpooling, taking transit, biking or walking instead of driving alone. Doing this will help reduce pollution levels and health concerns when temperatures are high. To learn how to change your commute online, visit 511.org.

To find out how your company could help you save money on your commute by offering commuter benefits, visit commuterbenefits.511.org.

nytemuvr June 8, 2019 at 2:00 PM

@Cellophane…..No thanks, I’m trying to burn up as many dead dinosaurs as possible with my 70s V-8, carbureted, 10 mile a gallon, non-catalytic converter American car before I leave this planet.

The Wizard June 8, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Time to fire up the smoker…Yum Yum…

S June 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM

you ain’t kiddin’ Wizi…. starting the fire about midnight. Got a 9lbs brisket that will go in about 2am. figure will be done about noonish… feast at 2p… follow your nose, you’ll find us…

Gittyup June 9, 2019 at 9:14 AM

Like anybody in their right mind wants to walk or bicycle anywhere in hot, polluted air … breathe deep!

RS June 8, 2019 at 1:20 PM

Hey people. It’s summer time and a lot of others are enjoying there neighborhoods by walking and riding bikes. Could we all slow it down a bit in our cars and relearn how to stop at signs and lights. Speed limit in residential is 25mph. Consistently i see cars passing through at 35 or in neighborhoods.
Your lack of timing and hurrying through residential streets is not worth injuring some one

Lynne Ellis June 8, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Aunt Barbara I have,been to Barneys and they make a great french dip sandwich, on if the best

justanotherschmuck June 8, 2019 at 6:11 PM

The plastic bag ban is a a joke on us. The law passed that stores would start charging for bags so we would all reuse bags and carry them with us as we go shopping. Which I usually do. Today though I had used up all my bags and just needed to make one more stop. I paid with my debit card and just cleaned out all my change to give to my nephew. So I am standing there taking everything out of my bag because I didn’t have .20 cents for their precious bag!
The things is, they use plastic bags, most stores do. But now we have to pay for them? Which just benefits the store. I know it is just .20 cents, but it just seems like the customer is the one getting screwed.

Sideline June 8, 2019 at 10:08 PM

Why do you think selling a plastic bag benefits the store at 20 cents each? I bet there is no profit in that!
Learn to bring your own bag, then everyone benefits!
Even you!

S June 9, 2019 at 8:15 AM

stores buy the reusable plastic bags at 2 to 5 cents per…. They sell them at 10 to 20 cents per…. a tidy profit….

Justifiable Laanguor June 9, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Keep bags in the trunk of your car. If you forget to bring some in, bag them at your trunk. Buy tyvek bags at Trader Joe’s. These last a long time and come in fun colors.

Silva June 9, 2019 at 8:50 AM

We have a real problem with plastic particles in our food chain. There are plastic particles collecting in the deepest crevices in our oceans, and inside the bodies of feeder fish, and many other animals in and out of the see. It’s what happens to bags and packaging over time. It stays around forever just breaking down into ever smaller pieces. I’ve found it’s not really a problem carrying my own bags with me, but for some reason I needed the impetus of the charge to start doing it. It’s more of a problem remembering to bring them into the store, and I’ve been at this @ 20 years, or whenever it was Emeryville started doing it. I love that there are a lot fewer store bags flying around on windy days, and overflowing from trash receptacles. Unsightly! I once had to drive through an amazing cloud of thousands of them whipped up by wind gusts someone must’ve dumped accidentally or on purpose over a beautiful untamed, unmanaged terrain. I use extras to carry my trash to the bin. Now it costs more than before, but not much.

Gittyup June 9, 2019 at 9:36 AM

The old lightweight grocery bags were designed to decompose in the landfill and were recyclable. Grocery stores accepted them for recycling. They did, in fact, break down when exposed to the elements, rain, sunlight, etc. The new ones are a heavier plastic which, if it decomposes at all, would take eons. The only thing “recyclable” about it is that you can use it over and over again to infinity. I can’t immediately think of a law that is operating, but every “advancement” in this area seems to produce results that are worse for the planet. The old paper bag, made from a renewable resource was earth friendlier than any plastic that has taken its place. It almost looks like if civilization doesn’t take plastic out of the equation, they will soon be able to take fish off the menu.

Kentucky Derby June 9, 2019 at 12:33 PM

I bring my own recyclable bags – no big deal. Sometimes I forget, and that’s okay. I’m not getting any younger. I couldn’t care less if they charge me 10 cents. If my life ever comes down to worrying about 10 cents, I’ll make some changes. Sometimes they forget to charge me, thanks for the freebie. The newer bags are thicker and better garbage bags – thanks for thinking of us. I’m concerned for the environment (I hope we all are) but I try to focus on things I can control. As far as the law, if they were really concerned about the environment, they wouldn’t make plastic bags at all. They would do away with them completely, not charge the customers. I believe we’re getting charged to placate the environmentalists.

Mary Fouts June 10, 2019 at 4:37 PM

@Kentucky Derby – Thanks for your great post, I needed your reminders about focusing your life on things you can control, which reminds me that there are so many things in your life that you cannot control. Also, don’t worrying about the 10 cent/small stuff. Life has been stressful for the past month, I needed your reminders today.

Gittyup June 11, 2019 at 10:02 PM

“Waste not, want not.”

Lambie June 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM

I wanted to patronize Chick-fil-a today and I thought 3pm would be a good time to go. I thought it would be less crowded, but I was wrong!

The drive-thru was around the building all the way to the street entrance. I was on the drive-thru line until I saw someone pull the it of a parking space.

The line inside was really long too! Luckily the line was fast 🙂

I don’t normally go to fast food restaurants, do they all have trash that automatically open for you? ~Fancy~

Dr. Jellyfinger June 8, 2019 at 10:05 PM

Waffle fries too! ….. ~Fancy~

Cowellian June 9, 2019 at 9:04 AM

There are no lines today.

Lambie June 9, 2019 at 11:14 PM

Yeah, kinda hard to have long lines when you’re closed. 😝

Cowellian June 10, 2019 at 7:47 AM

I was just trying to be helpful.
😉

ZZ June 8, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Yep, that’s what I thought…just like FB and Google and Twitter

Kirkwood June 9, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Was in a fast food place this morning to get an Egg McMuffin. A kid in line about 9 years old was humming Beethovens 5th. You don’t hear that much anymore. Back in my day parents exposed their kids to many genera of music.

Cowellian June 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Growing up, we got Kill the Wabbit!
A lot of our favorite cartoons incorporated classical music.

Kirkwood June 9, 2019 at 10:43 AM

True also for radio and TV shows of the time. Classical music is all public domain so no license fees were required.

Jojo Potato June 9, 2019 at 10:29 AM

At Concord airport right now (wind NE 13 gusts to 21). Not much going on. Saw a fighter take off (p51) one bomber (b24) taxied along. Going to enjoy the tail wind pedaling back to WC.

Kirkwood June 9, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Was in the area yesterday and thought I’d check out the Collings Foundation WW II aircraft. I discovered that the Crowne Plaza has installed gates to all of their parking areas. I didn’t check up close to see if there was a way through the gates since I didn’t intend to get out of the car. There WAS parking at Pacific States Aviation and near the coffee kiosk at the golf course. I checked Flight Radar yesterday and today and see that all of their flights go out to the Golden Gate Bridge.I had wondered why we weren’t seeing/hearing these planes this weekend. Riders are getting their money’s worth. Yesterday was a beautifully clear day, perfect for flying, albeit probably a bit bumpy.

The Fearless Spectator June 9, 2019 at 1:29 PM

This morning we watched the 17, 24, 25 & the Mustang all take off and land a few times. We did not see the P-40 Warhawk fly, but got some great close up pictures of it. A really, really old guy was taking a ride in the Mustang as we left. These warbirds are breathtaking; go take a look while they’re still here!

John P June 9, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Stop Signs:

My mother received a ticket for failure to stop. The ticket was $500 and the traffic class to keep the ticket off her record was $150. She still coasts thru stop signs. I, however, learned from her trouble. I no longer first look to see if it’s safe to proceed at a stop sign (and thereby possibly running the sign), but rather stop to see if there’s a cop waiting to pounce. I find I stop fully, and then proceed with caution. Try to focus first on avoiding a ticket rather than being in a hurry.

Jojo Potato June 9, 2019 at 5:14 PM

Why don’t you stop because it’s the safe thing to do? If your motivation is simply not to get caught that will fade over time since you most likely won’t get caught. But safety is all the time. I wonder, are you the one responsible for the decline of civilization? 😀

S June 9, 2019 at 6:27 PM

The lesson I learned here was… don’t hitch a ride with John P or his Mom.

🙂

Justifiable Laanguor June 9, 2019 at 4:05 PM

I still come to a complete stop at stop signs. However, I am now checking my rear view mirror now, for those who don’t expect it.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 9, 2019 at 7:37 PM

And make sure you stop at the limit line… even if bushes are so overgrown you can’t see sh*t…. or the Clayton police will pull you over and lecture you, maybe not give you a ticket since you did actually stop at a point where you could see if anything was coming.

I might suggest they knock on a door and tell the homeowner to cut his bushes back for safety’s sake instead of blaming drivers for trying to see what the hell is coming down the road tho!

Justifiable Laanguor June 10, 2019 at 5:41 AM

Yes, stop behind the crosswalk. Then, creep forward to see around obstructions. Don’t forget to look for cyclists. This will require two stops. I have almost tagged a cyclist twice because they don’t pause at corners. Really it iis no wonder pedestrians are getting run over when jaywalking.

Atticus Thraxx June 9, 2019 at 4:52 PM

God answers five questions:
“Good morning loving creator, knower of all things and father to mankind”, I’m Amanda Killpigeon with Rueters, thanks for meeting with me, I know your time is limited so I’ll keep it brief”
God:” Strictly speaking I’m eternal, time has no meaning to me. You on the other hand….”
Ms. Killpigeon: “Fair enough, you agreed with my producers to answer five questions, is that correct?”
God: “Yes. You have four more.”
Ms. Killpigeon: “Um…yes…of course. I’ll get to it. then. First question, what’s heaven like?”
God: “Imagine a place of such loving warmth and soft comfort where you’d be safe from any harm or worry. You could access all the information in the universe, have any question answered, and have every appetite satisfied. It’s not that. It’s more like Miami Beach, with dial-up internet and watered down drinks. You can thank Satan for that, and yes I’m pissed. I don’t want to talk about it, next question.”
Ms. Killpigeon: Why is there inconsolable pain?
God: “Wow, throwing fastballs, okay, if you’re asking about physical pain, the simple answer is design oversight. Not like I can issue a recall now. I did create opium at the last minute though to sort of make up for it. And by the way, opioids are not toys, quit screwing around with it, you’re throwing off the numbers with overdose deaths. I’m trying to run a universe here.
As to emotional pain I had to walk a fine line. Humans are a complex organism. True I used existing building blocks, your so-called DNA,my junk drawer, but the fine tuning is tough. How to create a being with enough empathy to care for each other, to care at all for that matter, but have free will and some amount of resilience. Life ain’t easy. I err’ed on the too many feels side instead of the too few. No apologies, I’d do it again.”
Ms. Killpigeon: “You mentioned Satan, why was he cast?”
God: ” Funny story. It wasn’t actually me who kicked him out, it was the other angels. I was otherwise occupied, you know, with universe stuff, and when we had dinner that night I see an empty chair and I’m like where’s Lucky? ( His given name was Lucifer but that’s hard to say after a few glasses of wine). Well everyone is staring at their plates, and I realize there a few empty chairs, so I ask what gives? Turns out there had been some tension, mostly roommate stuff and there ended up being a big fight. The fight moved outside and unfortunately too close to the edge of Heaven. Yes, Heaven is flat. And everyone knows Gabriel has a short fuse, so anyway, we lost some angels over The Edge of Despair from which there is no coming back. I had nothing to do with the whole thing. I did have Uriel put up caution tape over there. Spilt milk…”
Ms Killpigeon: “Does evil exist?”
God: “Sure. But I’d say it’s effect is greatly overstated. Look evil is kinda like someone breaking wind in a closed space. It’s unpleasant, annoying even, but it won’t kill you. Well, most of you. The door will open soon enough, and fresh air will win the day. Metaphorically speaking. I’d be more worried about sugar intake if I were you. Let me worry about evil.”
Ms. Killpigeon: “Does it hurt when people kill in your name?”
God: Sobs;” Yes.”
Ms. Killpigeon:” I’ll give you a moment”
God: “I’m fine, next question?”
Ms. Killpigeon: “How do people find God in there lives? I mean, what are the signs?”
God: “Short answer, a puppy’s wagging tail. There is no more concentrated form of goodness in the universe. Ask Satan about kittens though. The long answer is look and where you wish to find me, there I will be. No great mystery really. Look, all the crap laid at my feet by holy men is mostly hooey and apple sauce. It doesn’t matter what kind of hat you wear, what day of the week you eat meat, or if you’d like to have a set of oxen just like your undeserving neighbor. That’s you guys, not me. Pagan images don’t bother me, and a good cuss word with my name attached isn’t going to send you to hell. Do right, be right, defend the persecuted and you’re okay with me.Not looking for perfection, just sustained effort”
Ms. Killpigeon: “Well, thank you for your time Lord.”
God: “More like thank me for your time. One more thing I’d like to leave with your audience. Leave the gays alone.If there’s judgement to be done, I’ll take care of it. You just worry about your own beeswax. Don’t make me tell you again.”

Pony June 9, 2019 at 6:12 PM

This is great Atticus. Thank you!

Silva June 9, 2019 at 6:54 PM

🙂

Gittyup June 10, 2019 at 9:06 AM

Sorry you feel that way. It’s unnatural and is not required for good health.

Mary Fouts June 10, 2019 at 9:54 PM

PG&E local power outages today. Received Emails from both Lafayette and WC today re: significant power outages in their downtown areas. Just looked at PG&E outage map. Currently significant local outages in Concord along Monument Blvd, and in Orinda/Lafayette. Smaller pockets of outages peppered all along 680/24 corridor.

One outage says it was caused ‘due to the weather’. So we get our first 100 degree plus day, and PG&E’s equipment busts down? That’s plain crazy!

I swear, these outages and deliberate power turnoffs will continue until PG&E gets the state to strike the inverse condemnation law. Just wait until SF or LA loses electrical power when a transmission line is turned off, and well heeled customer and businesses from those cities come complaining to the politicians It’s going to be one interesting summer, for sure..

Kirkwood June 11, 2019 at 9:21 AM

I think that some electrical equipment breaking down on the first hot day is to be expected. Equipment, insulation, etc. slowly deteriorates over the years and can finally fail at the next period of high stress. It’s impossible to predict.

Kinda like a big flush into a root filled sewer. 🙂

Mary Fouts June 12, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Kirkwood – Good point. And not that I would know anything at all about an 80 year old root filled sewer line, right! :0

Silva June 11, 2019 at 6:17 PM

“Peanut” (A0912058) borders on being a kitler. No ‘stache though.

Shasta Daisy June 12, 2019 at 7:29 AM

Falcon9 has successfully landed!!!
Waiting for deployment of RADARSAT.

Peace. Happy Wednesday.
Another beautiful day.

Antler June 12, 2019 at 8:49 AM

One of our Claycord commenters is only in our memories now. Her posting moniker was “Blossom”. Rest in peace, dear friend.

Cowellian June 12, 2019 at 10:49 AM

I do not remember Blossom, but I’m sorry for your loss.

Shasta Daisy June 12, 2019 at 12:06 PM

I don’t remember Blossom either but I am sorry to hear of her passing.

Peace and prayers.

Silva June 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM

Aw. I’m sorry Antler.

Mary Fouts June 12, 2019 at 12:32 PM

So sorry for your loss, Antler. Losing a loved one or friend never gets easier. I remember Blossom. May she rest in peace, and may you find comfort in this time of sorrow.

Antler June 13, 2019 at 9:44 AM

Thank you, and I hope her family will read your kind comments.

Shasta Daisy June 12, 2019 at 12:10 PM
Jojo Potato June 12, 2019 at 1:59 PM

Are we going to rename Shell Avenue?

Mary Fouts June 12, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Vitamin Shoppe in PH – Yesterday I shopped for the first time at the Vitamin Shoppe in PH. Needed an herbal supplement asap that I’ve always had to order it online, and they had it in stock. (It’s located on CC Blvd, just south of Gregory in the Smart & Final strip mall.)

Very nice store and layout. Great selection of vitamins and minerals, supplements, protein/energy bars, and body/skin care products. Competitive pricing; nice rewards program, too. The manager was very helpful in answering my questions. Ended up purchasing a half dozen items.

Worth a stop if you are in need of anything mentioned above. Their website will tell you if a particular item is in stock at a particular location.

Mary Fouts June 12, 2019 at 1:34 PM

510/341 area code overlay. My cell phone number has a 510 area code. Just got a mesg from Verizon that starting June 22, I will need to include the 510 area code with all 510 numbers called/texted due to the new 341 area code overlay in the 510 region.

Strad June 12, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Power out in eastern section of the Crossings, 472 affected according to PGE.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Well…. thank goodness the temperature will only be 85 degrees today!
That hot spell was awful, and you could tell it was affecting folks… short tempers, rude behavior…. people were just miserable in that heat.

I mean, sure folks will still be rude & short tempered now, but to a lesser degree… and outdoor activities will be enjoyable again… the dogs and children will spend more time playing outside instead of shadowing me all day like I’m supposed to be the entertainment director… folks will shop & stroll around downtown… less sprat, more outdoor dining & smiles too. Enjoy it while we can.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 14, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Geez! The “Whatever Column” sure got slow…..

I hope somebody will post something in this column before it gets reset tonight…. I don’t want to wind up being “Last” as if I were still involved in that pointless competition…. I might win without even trying!

KAD June 14, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Last.

Jojo Potato June 14, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Way to early.

Mary Fouts June 14, 2019 at 4:13 PM

King Arthur Flour Company: Voluntary recall of 5-lb bags of Unbleached All Purpose Flour. If any of you purchase this flour from local retailers, one of the flour mills KAF uses has been linked with e-coli in other brands of flour that use the mill’s flour. No e-coli in KAF flour (yet), but KAF has nonetheless issued a recall for flour milled at that mill. Here is the information from the company. They also have a 24 hour hotline to answer any recall questions.

“King Arthur Flour has issued a voluntary recall for a limited quantity of 5 lb. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour bags from six specific lot codes:

BEST USED BY 12/07/19 LOT: L18A07C
BEST USED BY 12/08/19 LOTS: L18A08A, L18A08B
BEST USED BY 12/14/19 LOTS: L18A14A, L18A14B,
L18A14C

No products sold through our website, Baker’s Catalogue, or the Baker’s Store in Norwich, VT are included in this voluntary recall. To learn more, please visit our website: http://bit.ly/2uf7dV9

Dr. Jellyfinger June 14, 2019 at 5:51 PM

@ Jojo You mean “too” early….
Oh Dang!
Now I’m last again….Somebody post something else, quick!

Silva June 14, 2019 at 6:33 PM

Last!

Shasta Daisy June 14, 2019 at 6:50 PM

True friendships “last” forever.

Peace.

Cowellian June 14, 2019 at 6:57 PM

In for last

Dr. Jellyfinger June 14, 2019 at 7:00 PM

There we go! Thanks Silva.

Silva June 14, 2019 at 8:24 PM