Claycord – Talk About Whatever

May 17, 2019 21:10 pm · 42 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

wave May 17, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Wave First!!

Cowellian May 17, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Cowellian’s First

Dr. Jellyfinger May 17, 2019 at 10:12 PM

Giant’s last!
Really sucking big time tonight…. home plate umpire too!

Dr. Jellyfinger May 18, 2019 at 8:02 AM

Well… it is in the quick links column… but not on the main page.
I think I can see now why you got confused.

Concordejet May 18, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Joke

when does it rain money? – when there’s a change in the weather.

concord grape May 18, 2019 at 12:02 PM

Bart GM, Chief of Police retiring. Just imagine the package they got.

Edi Birsan May 18, 2019 at 1:06 PM

The third survey of the year is up at:

Pat May 19, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Fix Concord’s roads. What are you waiting for?

Mary Fouts May 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM

@Pat – You mean like Oak Grove Rd, which is so pot marked and bumpy the jostling ride makes you think you have a flat tire?

KAD May 18, 2019 at 1:41 PM

Why do we have to physically go into the library to renew our library card? It is not easy for everyone to do that. I have been reading books on my phone from the library so I did not have to go to the library to get books. I am not happy about this.

Mary Fouts May 18, 2019 at 4:37 PM

@KAD – That’s beyond sad. The only reason I can think of is that the CoCo County library website is so obsolete as to not have the capability to have online renewal transactions. Completely unacceptable in this day and age.

It would also be nice to have a combined online check out/delivery service available – for a fee, as necessary – for those individuals who do not have easy access to physically get to a library. It could be made needs based, and a fee charged accordingly. Perhaps that is one area Uber or Lyft can get involved in. Uber, anyways, delivers food. Why not library materials?

Jojo Potato May 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM

I suggest you call them up and ask. The library staff have always been very helpful.

Kentucky Derby May 18, 2019 at 5:30 PM

My library card expires in October, and I did ask why I have to come in. I was told because they want to verify all info (in case it has changed) and to see to it that your new library card ends up in your hands. I was speaking with the librarian – a couple months ago.

I don’t think it’s sad, but it is an inconvenience to those who might have a problem getting to the library. I can go on the weekends, and I don’t mind going. Even though we’re paying for the library as taxpayers, we are utilizing everything for free. They have every right to set the standards. The library staff is very helpful.

WC Resident May 19, 2019 at 4:49 PM

They need to see your driver’s license or ID card to verify your name and address.

You can change your e-mail and phone number on line. While the name and address are shown on the on-line change-contact-information form they are grayed out fields. You need to go to the branch to have those changed.

There’s no explanation for why but the on-line form for changing info also asks for the phone carrier with the choices being Cell – No text messages, Home, Work, AT&T Wireless, Cricket, Cricket MMS, Sprint (PCS), Straight Talk, T-Mobile MMS, TracFone, Verizon, Boost Mobile, MetroPCS, and Virgin Mobile. I think they are doing that as some carriers support e-mail to your phone.

Kentucky Derby May 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Also – the library is trying to prevent identity theft. Please understand that a library card is government issued, and it counts as a second ID. It’s the easiest card to carry for second ID purposes. The library is doing you a favor by asking you to come in, even though it might not seem that way if getting to the library is hard for you.

Original G May 18, 2019 at 3:01 PM

Things can get so boring, day after day the same routine.
Hmm, . . . . what can we do to liven things up a bit ? ?

These would be great to have driving around our electric long bed maintenance scooter at work, but Security might take a dim view of it.

Dorothy May 18, 2019 at 3:55 PM

No book report but my chapter of the American Sewing Guild is having a fundraiser stash sale next Saturday. See the info below and hope to see some of you there.

The Walnut Creek/East Bay Chapter of the ASG is having their semi-annual fundraising Stash Sale May 25th. Open and free to the public from 9 AM to 1 PM at 4349 Cowell Rd, Concord. (Odd Fellows Hall) Fabrics at bargain prices (most $1 or $2 a yard), patterns, yarn, notions, and a few newly serviced sewing machines in good working order. No early birds, please.

Mary Fouts May 18, 2019 at 4:41 PM

@Dorothy – Great! I will be there. So love sewing, and always interested in getting ‘some of this and that’ to add to projects.

Question: Is this cash only, or are credit cards accepted? Just want to be prepared. Thanks!

Silva May 18, 2019 at 5:45 PM

Tank you for posting these, Dorothy. I have GOT to get over there!

Dorothy May 18, 2019 at 5:48 PM

Hi Mary, yes credit cards and checks as well as cash. We got some very nice fabric donations since our last stash sale. Hope to see you there.

Shasta Daisy May 18, 2019 at 7:44 PM

Better late than never.
Peace, everyone.

Original G May 19, 2019 at 4:20 PM

Unusual experience this afternoon, an intermittent thumping while driving.
Stopped an gave car the once over grabbed top of tires and pulled n pushed, but found nothing obvious. Drove on thinking it was a drive shaft U joint beginning to fail.
About six blocks later doing about 25 mph large thump an back left side drops and there’s dragging. Got into driveway of a business and discovered lug nuts including a Maglock were gone.

Couple 20 somethings came over offered the old grey ancient one advice
and helped dislodge spare from it’s storage compartment. Luckily no body damage and had spare lug nuts from putting on Maglocks years back. Got it jacked up Mag off, spare on and one of those kids found three lug nuts which had come off.

New procedure pull torque wrench out of the trunk once a month and every time it comes out of the shop after being worked on, check tightness of lug nuts. And next time there’s thumping check lug nuts before proceeding.

Justifiable Languor May 20, 2019 at 6:51 AM

My understanding is, you should also check the tire pressure as well. Every time the vehicle is handled by the ‘mechanic’. And don’t automatically trust a dealership … such as Chevy GM on Concord Avenue.

Kirkwood May 20, 2019 at 11:43 AM

Some decades ago while coming home from work I began hearing what sounded like a front wheel bearing going out. I eventually stopped and discovered loose lug nuts on left front. Pulled out lug wrench and tightened nuts, fortunately no damage to studs.

More recently, during tire rotation my mechanic discovered all the lug nuts on one wheel rounded and difficult to remove. Mechanic said cause was probably wrong size socket, or the impact wrench spinning before being pushed onto the nut. I had previously had a flat fixed at a well known tire shop on Clayton Rd.

Original G May 20, 2019 at 1:03 PM

Justifiable Languor … At least for me there are two Service Reps I trust there as for other two I’ll pass.

Kirkwood … Good call on sockets, these mags take deep thin wall socket and it’s gonna be heck trying to find replacement Mag, the set is 20 plus years old.

Justifiable Languor May 21, 2019 at 7:42 AM

Original G: He trusted Chevy dealership until a few years ago. There seemed to be a change in management that leaned towards rude (service manager capitulated to line jumpers and cashier made a snide remark about credit-ours is excellent, always).

Maybe it was a bad day except the part replaced, broke two years later…such a bad experience that he was reluctant to return. Maybe just a personality clash. We surmised they would like to sell us a new car rather than fix the old one. Not an option. So, we found a local owned shop. Happy with the change.

Mary Fouts May 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Avocados – California Hass Avocados have been available for just a short time. Boy, are they good this year, the most flavorful in recent memory.

Cilantro in the Garden – I planted a new type of Cilantro in my seasonal garden this year: Vietnamese Cilantro. The ‘regular’ Cilantro seems to always bolt so fast. The Vietnamese version is a real winner! Looks nothing like regular Cilantro, has a leaf closer to a Thai or purple basil leaf. The flavor is incredible (I use it in cooking, don’t care for it raw), and the plants have been very vigorous. Worth a garden growing try if you enjoy Cilantro. I got my plants at Ace Hardware in WC.

Garden Fruit – A second dud year for both my sour and bing cherry trees. Fig and Apple Trees so far appear to show more promise for later on. Early strawberries delicious and raspberry bushes setting on lots of fruit.

Jojo Potato May 20, 2019 at 7:13 PM

Sad news today from the world of auto racing. Niki Lauda has died at the age of 70. His classic year of competition for the formula 1 championship against James Hunt is told in the film “Rush”.

Mary Fouts May 20, 2019 at 11:28 PM

That film is brutal to watch. The lung ‘treatments’ I can’t imagine going through. 70 is so young now days to pass, but he clearly had extreme ongoing health issues from the horrific accident. No words to explain his strength and courage.

Kirkwood May 21, 2019 at 10:35 AM

With the occasional thread popping up regarding child raising these days, it might be an interesting WATER COOLER topic on what allowances are being paid today, and if the kid has a credit card. How about price of the phone?

Silva May 23, 2019 at 6:25 PM

Last!🙂

Silva May 23, 2019 at 8:55 PM

Oh, dear. No wonder nobody else is playing.

Justifiable Languor May 24, 2019 at 8:53 AM

Second in line for last!

Silva May 24, 2019 at 2:25 PM

🤣

KAD May 24, 2019 at 3:01 PM

An early Last.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM

I may not have a chance to be last later…. so I’m putting in an early last now, but if I get back in time later, I’ll add a later last….. but if It’s still early I’m going to reserve the right to add yet another even later last, later…. if it isn’t too late.

Cowellian May 24, 2019 at 6:05 PM

You don’t need to repeatedly last, Dr. Jelly. Once is enough if you’re sincere about it.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 24, 2019 at 6:12 PM

“If I’m sincere about it” ……….or anything else for that matter.
LoL!

Shasta Daisy May 24, 2019 at 3:55 PM

Early last cuz I’m going to Yoshi’s tonite!
Music makes me happy.

Peace.

Silva May 24, 2019 at 5:59 PM

Okay, this will be my last chance to last, I think. So LAST!

KAD May 24, 2019 at 6:31 PM

Last again for today.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 24, 2019 at 6:49 PM

I was going to post another last…
but I wouldn’t wanna deprive Silva.