Half Price Books Van Spotted Near Former Any Mountain Building In Concord

May 13, 2019 16:04 pm · 36 comments

Look, it’s a Half Price Books van in the Willows shopping center on Diamond Blvd. in Concord, near the old (empty) Any Mountain building.

Kyle emailed us the photo, and said “There is a HPB van at the old Any Mountain in the Willows shopping center. The lady driving the van unlocked the doors and they are having a safe installed now.”

Half Price Books was recently forced out of their Todos Santos Plaza location, and have since been searching for another Concord location.

If they do move into the old Any Mountain building, it will be a hop, skip and a jump away from the new Barnes & Noble bookstore, which is set to open next week in the Veranda shopping center.

A representative for Half Price Books was not available to confirm or deny the news on Monday afternoon.

Thanks to Kyle for the photo and information.

Nyan May 13, 2019 at 4:10 PM

Claycord, you’re like the TMZ of the book world!

Seriously though, this is great news.

CLAYCORD.com May 13, 2019 at 4:17 PM

@Nyan – LOL.

S May 13, 2019 at 4:17 PM

that would be ok

Bob May 13, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Just think of it as redirecting your book savings towards auto glass replacements.

Oh well, better than nothing I suppose.

Wait... May 13, 2019 at 4:57 PM

So Any Mountain is gone?

Sign from Above May 14, 2019 at 6:55 AM

Didn’t realize that either! Bummer!

concord ygnacio May 14, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Yes, they closed April 22, as I reported.

Parker May 13, 2019 at 5:02 PM

If this is Half Price Books new location I hope they have a large designated parking area for unloading boxes of used books and vinyl records.

Strad May 13, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Haven’t been to the Willows in several years. Has it improved at all?

Bob May 13, 2019 at 11:03 PM

Negative

concord ygnacio May 14, 2019 at 7:58 AM

Yes, they hired new security: Signal 88 Security, instead of Overton.

Pyrrhus May 14, 2019 at 8:37 AM

It’s okay. Daiso moved in which is a great store, it’s just a small location. Ike’s is good and less crowded then the Walnut Creek location, I liked the food at Eureka!, and the new pizza place Midci.

Kauai Mike May 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Who buys physical books now-a-days?

But I like the story-line: rebellious upstart sticks it to ruthless corporate book peddlers! You go Half Price!

Jeff May 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM

Swan’f Fine Books is doing very nicely in Walnut Creek…thank you. Terrific that HPB may have found a spot, they are vital in the book food chain.

Dennis May 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM

Hey Kauai Mike,

Did you live on Kauai? I spent 7 years there in Kalaheo, and Lawai. Just might have been the best seven years of my life. Had a great time. The local folks were the nicest people I have ever met.

JazzMan May 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM

I do! Lots of paper books. Hope this works out. Perfect date night, trip to HPB, then Panera for coffee.

Sign from Above May 14, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Literate people!!

jjshawk May 15, 2019 at 10:46 PM

Physical books don’t need batteries, Kindles and iPads do.

THE BLACK KNIGHT May 13, 2019 at 6:31 PM

Members of the Concord City Council have been saying for more than a month that Half Price Books had signed a lease for a new location within the City of Concord, but couldn’t disclose the location of the new site. It looks like we now have the answer.

Silva May 13, 2019 at 6:47 PM

Sounds like good news! It might even work out better for them there anyway. Of course it couldn’t be at MY end of town in one of the several available retail locations, but that probably would really be the death knell for them. I guess they’re smarter than that. Of course it won’t be as fun and charming to visit as at Todos Santos, but c’est la vie. I sure hope it’s true, fingers crossed, but it sounds very promising!! I just heard someplace around here that HPB had a parking lot. I never knew they had a parking lot. Coulda fooled me. Coulda, and did.

Hanne Jeppesen May 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM

Half Priced Books at Todos Santos Plaza had a small parking lot, but I often found parking on the street close to the store. If they move into the Willows that would be okay, it is in an area I drive by often. Ulta is there, Cost Plus use to be there, and I think that location is still available. Having said that I loved the location at the Plaza, especially when I could combine shopping for books, (or selling old ones) with going to Farmer’s Market and get fresh fruits and vegetables. If Half Price books open in the Willows I will definitely become a customer, and of Barnes and Nobles as well.

Chubby May 13, 2019 at 8:16 PM

Fingers CROSSED! If the Mayor’s source is reliable, this is blessed news. Unfortunately, if true, it also means I’ll be eating a lot more Fuddrucker’s. Can we get a coffee shop to go with that bookstore?

Anonymous May 13, 2019 at 11:51 PM

Panera Bread is right next door. Coffee, tea and food!

Winston May 14, 2019 at 2:38 PM

You can walk to the Veranda. It’s nextdoor and they have 2 coffee shops.

Chubby May 14, 2019 at 6:47 PM

@ Winston that’s a horrible walk. I’ve done it. Not in distance, but like in two huge shopping centers right next to each other that are not integrated for pedestrian traffic whatsoever. Yes, I expect to be coddled and for everything to be exceptionally pleasant. We’re talking about my totally discretionary leisure spending here. If I have to dodge a high volume of cars to get a cup of coffee it probably won’t happen. That’s one of the things that was so great about Todos Santos. Multiple coffee sources a stone’s throw away.

@Anonymous definitely going to do a retail test on the Panera Bread coffee to go situation. Thanks!

Abbie R. May 13, 2019 at 9:50 PM

Good News, I always go to the “Counter -Culture” Section,

RANDOM TASK May 14, 2019 at 9:23 AM

Wow
This much attention and outpouring for a book store
Wish there was this much passion
Towards politicians taking money from our chools and children to fund illegals

Or making this once thriving town into a haven for bums and illegals for fed money …under sanctuary as the city council and gov tax us hard working people over and over
Build a stadium we have to upkeep
Give building rights to a company who always screws the city people
To a land project that could cause the city to become great again
City council wants to drag us down and has just take a look around the city
Bums,empty store fronts ,harboring bums ,passing laws to make it legal for them to steal ,all designed to bring dispair and poverty to a once thriving city with a great indoor mall and open shopping malls
Now conturd is known for bums crime and illegals and a city council changing voting to secure there long term re elections with district voting that instills corruption

Do your part May 14, 2019 at 10:17 AM

I suggest that you run for office and make a change then instead of complaining here. If you don’t like it then you either stand up and make a change, do nothing and be complacent or move. But you have an awful big opinion. Put it to work!!!!!!

Eye roll emoji May 15, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Can you let a community rejoice in having a beloved institution, that they thought was lost, show signs of hope? We get it, you don’t like illegals. You mention it on every post.

ESP May 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM

Good news for the Willows and book buyers. That said, I am no doubt in the minority who did not like Half Price Books. It was not a place I went to for new books, and I rarely found good prices on used books. My main complaint was the rude customer service when trading in books. I never could figure out how they figured the amount they gave on books for resale. It became such a hassle that I just donated to Friends of the Library. I still miss the old Bay Books at Park n Shop. The woman who originally owned the store knew books, gave fair prices on trade-ins, and was always pleasant.

Roz May 14, 2019 at 12:00 PM

I miss Bay Books too! Yes, there was good knowledge and fair trade on books too. Having HPB and B&N near by is better that nothing.

tim May 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM

One of the former employees of Bay Books opened Berkshire Books on Clayton Road. His store is fun to browse through and his book knowledge is incredible. I have no idea what he pays for used books because, for better or worse, I’ve never sold a book that I’ve purchased.

Really? May 15, 2019 at 8:06 AM

It’s easy to figure out how they pay for books when you also realize that they’re also paying employees, rent, bills, etc. with those book sales. If you want a higher price for books you’re selling don’t sell them to a retail store that needs money to stay open.

WC Resident May 14, 2019 at 1:37 PM

@ESP – Half Price Books has never been about new books. For the most part, they sell used books at half off the original retail price. It used to be a great deal as I’d see a book that was originally 15 cents and would pay less than a dime for it. About ten years ago they made the minimum price $1. The HPB business model apparently is still successful enough that they are willing to move the Willows at today’s market rates rather than closing the retail stores and switching to on-line sales.

The buying process is depends on experience. The buyer knows what’s moving in their store and also recognizes dreck that’ll go straight to the recycle bin. They buy a lot of stuff on spec and if it does not sell in a few months it’s either donated or routed to the recycle bin. Many books are judged by their cover in that does it seem interesting enough that someone browsing the store will buy it? That’s why the pricing seems arbitrary.

RANDOM TASK May 14, 2019 at 3:44 PM

Sorry I guess you didn’t know this is a socialist state
So no one can stand and ask politicians to get rid of the bums and stop giving our children’s money to illegals
Your comment does seem a little pushy
With the why don’t you
I comment just the same as everyone
Opinions are all different even though the establishment wants them all to be the same
Don’t worry your socialist agenda will win
And yeah you won’t be happy lol
Venezuela was a litmus test on pure democrat socialism
Make your own opinion on how that turned out

Bill Bob May 14, 2019 at 6:24 PM

I wish they’d move to the old Osh on Ygnacio instead. Wonder what will go in there.