Claycord – Talk About Whatever

May 10, 2019 19:10 pm · 82 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Original G May 10, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Justifiable Languor May 11, 2019 at 7:22 AM

The coveted First! Yay!

Lambie May 10, 2019 at 7:14 PM

Does the App Store ever need an update? 😝

Gittyup May 15, 2019 at 10:43 PM

I’m just guessibg, but it seems like it would be updated with the operating system in IOS. On Android, I vaguely remember that the App Store was updated one time just like all the other apps.

Silva May 10, 2019 at 7:20 PM

First! Happy weekend.

KAD May 10, 2019 at 7:32 PM

My last disappeared.

Silva May 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM

Well that’s different. I wondered where you were.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 11, 2019 at 9:36 AM

I’m sorry KAD… First thing this morning I realized I had your “last” .
I must’ve mistaken it for mine & left with it by accident.
I don’t know where mine wound up.
My Bad.

Bob May 10, 2019 at 7:38 PM

Does anybody know what is going on with the Bank of America Office on Willow Pass–heard they are closing and telling people they will have to close their Safe Deposit box–or the contents will be transferred to the State–

Paul May 10, 2019 at 9:04 PM

That’s what’s happening. The problem is they’re offering no options. B of A sucks (too)!

Antler May 10, 2019 at 9:28 PM

You might want to call them and ask. I have received written notice that the branch will close, so it is logical that people with safe deposit boxes in that building will need to transfer the contents to another branch.
I have “heard tell” that the branch will re-open after having renovated the space where Half-Price Books used to be. But if that is true, then I can confirm that a tentative grand opening date has not been announced to those of us who use Bank of America.

Lambie May 10, 2019 at 9:51 PM

Wouldn’t BofA need to notify customers? Is it the one near the mall?

Lambie May 10, 2019 at 11:12 PM

Wouldn’t BofA need to notify customers?

Lambie May 10, 2019 at 11:14 PM

It’s the one across from Half Price Books.

sideline May 11, 2019 at 6:05 AM

B of A is closing it’s long time branch on Willow Pass Road and are moving to the ” Half priced book location” in fall.
I am sure they are urging their customers to clear out their safety boxes by a certain date (with the warning that if it is not cleared by such a time, contains will be handed over to the state)

Cowellian May 10, 2019 at 7:43 PM

Cowellian’s First!

ConcordKate May 10, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Enjoy your weekend, Claycordians. Don’t forget to call your mama on Sunday, it you’re lucky enough to still have one.

wave May 10, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers in Claycord…

Original G May 10, 2019 at 8:46 PM

“The real reason evolution started…”
Could be after all there are times when . . . . .

Paul May 10, 2019 at 9:03 PM

Everybody love how well Concord has perfectly timed all the traffic signals? Public works touted their plan to do this last year or the year before (all their BS seems to meld together), and yet the lights still seem to have minds of their own. Left turn lights trigger if a car passes within 10 feet of their sensors. Some sensors do not signal that a vehicle has arrived at an intersection and would like to cross sometime that day. The light sequencing on thoroughfares is not in sync with the posted speed limits (I find I have to exceed the limit by about 5 mph to make lights.), and worst of all, lights for pedestrians seem to take full control of traffic flow on said thoroughfares, rather than waiting for the next break in the traffic flow. Kudos, PW: you suck!

Justifiable Languor May 11, 2019 at 7:21 AM

Helter Skelter. It is the way to stop progress, in this case travel. Continue to observe.

Joatmeal May 11, 2019 at 7:34 AM

Couldn’t agree more. Government at its worst. Someone is collecting a paycheck and doing absolutely nothing.

Shasta Daisy May 10, 2019 at 9:31 PM

“Never say never.”

Peace and sweet dreams.

Justifiable Languor May 13, 2019 at 6:51 AM

Never Say Never Again. 😉

wes May 10, 2019 at 10:01 PM

like a million cars coming from west st down chestnut going back to concord blvd tonight car wreck or dui checkpoint ? after the game ?

Maria May 11, 2019 at 1:01 AM

Curry Bowl opened today in the Clayton shopping center. Did anyone try it? Is it good?

burnbabyburn May 11, 2019 at 7:52 AM

I’m sick of all the B.S. preferential parking spaces. Not the handicapped, but the ones reserved for families, hybrids, pregos, etc. I take great joy in using those spots. Especially the one with the little picture of the man, woman and 2 little bundles of joy. How are these spots legal? It’s discrimination.

anon May 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM

It’s never enforced because it’s not against the law to park there.

Jojo Potato May 11, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Spagetti sauce gets special parking? What has the world come to?

anotheranon May 11, 2019 at 12:03 PM

There isn’t any “law” you’re breaking when using one of those parking places, nor is it discriminatory; it’s just a matter of common courtesy, allowing some members of our society a bit of extra space. I sometimes don’t use a handicapped spot, even though I’m allowed, if I see an open place nearby, thinking there may be someone less able than I who could better use the space. Common courtesy, although courtesy isn’t so common anymore.

Dorothy May 11, 2019 at 9:23 AM

Book report, another oldie. The Yellow Rolls-Royce, novelization by Jack Pearl, 1965. This was first a star studded movie before it showed up in paperback. 3 separate stories each of which the car plays a big part in the lives of 3 different women. A decent read if you like romance and short stories. You might like the movie too.

anon May 11, 2019 at 9:29 AM

Custodian’s and Gardner’s do very little work during the week but they are paid overtime to work nights and weekends to make up for the work they are supposed to do during the week. Where’s that money coming from?

Michael May 11, 2019 at 9:41 AM

The Concord Youth/Education has zero meetings regarding education with the MDUSD district. Two reasons are they hold the meetings the same time as the board meetings and the other reason is that any agenda item has to go to the city council first before they will even hold a Youth/Education meeting.

I am urging everyone in the city of concord to email the city council citycouncil@cityofconcord.org and demand that they begin holding monthly meetings via the Youth/Education Committee and lets bring these issues into the light so we can have all Concord residents, businesses and rotary be more involved in developing solutions for our students and their teachers.

Anon May 11, 2019 at 11:24 AM

That’s Total BS about the custodians, their shifts should Tues – Saturday or Sunday – Thursday.

Definitely should have them working on one weekend day as a Regular part of their shift instead of OT!!!

Concordejet May 11, 2019 at 1:24 PM

Joke

Q: Why didn’t the sun go to college?
A: Because it already had a million degrees!

S May 11, 2019 at 4:38 PM

U 2 must be a fan of Reader’s Digest.

Concordejet May 11, 2019 at 1:27 PM

Happy Mother’s Day to all Claycordian

May your do do list be empty and wine glass be full

Every Mother’s Dream

Dr. Jellyfinger May 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM

Did you really mean “do do list” or “to do list”?
I actually have had both in days past.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 12, 2019 at 9:02 PM

OK…. my pals & I just got into a big argument over this one (there were punches thrown!) but it seems like the consensus was that if it were to be a “do do” list it would have been spelled “doo doo” and that the original text was simply a typo which should have been “to do” list.

Lambie May 12, 2019 at 10:26 PM

And Mother Nature has a to dew list 😝

Justifiable Languor May 13, 2019 at 6:42 AM

It could have been a typo that, as a happy accident turned into a pun.

Kirkwood May 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Anon – Your employer just changed your work schedule to swing shift Thursday – Sunday at straight time. Have fun!

AJ BUTTACAVOLI May 11, 2019 at 8:15 PM

After years of thought I concluded that all of existence – every single atom – exists according to a Plan. There are no accidents, nothing is arbitrary – it all fits perfectly into a cosmic plan and all we have to do is simply watch it go by. This really makes life not only understandable but much more interesting because as we observe existence moving along we don’t question it, we just enjoy it. For one thing, this way of thinking eliminates a great deal of unnecessary thought and guess work. If terrorism is part of the plan, which it is, then what is the reason for it and how does it fit into the plan? Why was Trump elected and how does his presidency fit into the plan? Eventually, it all begins to make sense and every single action in all of existence fits perfectly into the plan and life really does become a great deal of fun, much more fun that the pettiness that exists almost everywhere today.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 12, 2019 at 8:36 AM

“All of existence – every single atom – exists according to a Plan. There are no accidents, nothing is arbitrary – it all fits perfectly into a cosmic plan”

That’s gotta be the best CYA philosophy of all time!
I’m going to get 1000 cards made up with that saying printed on it…. I could use them for everything! …. botched operations, dented car in the parking lot….heck I won’t even pick up after my dog when we go walking.. I’ll just leave a card perched on top of the pile!

The Fearless Spectator May 12, 2019 at 9:41 AM

It sounds like the cosmic plan does not revolve around California.
That may upset a lot of people.

Let’s all lead peaceful and serene lives in the Bay Area!

Gittyup May 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM

Such an approach could be described as fatalistic. It is very convenient for the believers because it absolves them of any responsibility since all things are out of their immediate control. It does, in fact, deny the long-standing principles of cause and effect and those of agency, as well as many other well established laws of science that have proven otherwise.

The Fearless Spectator May 12, 2019 at 6:48 PM

We all know about the oldest CYA philosophy……….also a convenient document.

Gittyup May 12, 2019 at 11:25 PM

California Youth Authority?

Anon May 11, 2019 at 9:14 PM

Kirkwood, I’m in the private sector – no special pay for those shifts which we’ve always worked.
BTW, You hate my employer.

Mary Fouts May 12, 2019 at 12:07 AM

Waste Line Replacement: All going ok until the large concrete saw machine crapped out with 25 feet of the 260 feet of cutting to go. It will be finished on Monday, but I never thought I would have a broken down concrete saw machine near my back door. I’m thinking I will put a parking ticket on that bad boy (it probably costs $40 – $50,000 new) for parking more than 2 hours on the patio.

Husband Jim mentioned my sourdough bread baking to the workers, which lead to an exit of my extra sourdough bread loaves from the chest freezer, so doing a large bread bake tomorrow.

We are installing cast iron pipe rather than now common abs for the new waste line. More expensive and takes a bit longer to install, but will last 100 years and won’t be subject to cracks re earthquake, earth shrinkage/expansion, and tree roots of which we have plenty. I’m happy with that.

Kirkwood May 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM

Ahh, nothing like the smell of baking bread! Brings to mind the times we passed the Orowheat bakery as we exited Crow Canyon Rd at Castro Valley. That pleasant odor always surrounded the factory. Eventually the BAAQMD (or its predecessor) ordered stack scuubbers installed to control the air pollution. (The odors contained alcohol.) The company chose to close the plant instead.

Justifiable Languor May 13, 2019 at 6:55 AM

…I got stuck at ‘waist line’. Goofy mood. My apologies.

Justifiable Languor May 12, 2019 at 6:32 AM

My thoughts are similar in that accepting to a degree is necessary, unless you want a battle, constantly. I will add: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Newtons third law of motion.

I also believe humans make very important decisions very early in life. Sometimes to their detriment. In any case having a sense of irony or humor is essential to happiness. Even a “fortunate son” can feel battered by life.

Justifiable Languor May 12, 2019 at 7:15 AM

The pay of government comes from taxes. A government worker should never make more than the citizenry can bear.

There isn’t enough money because of rampant promises on every
Ballot. The funding of government comes from taxes…the money NEVER reaches the target. The money is always channeled away into management and pensioners. The raises must stop. Or else. The tax payers will no longer be able to pay. Homeless, anyone?

Carol May 12, 2019 at 9:47 AM

So I received a flyer with my address from a local retailer,
addressed to someone with the same last name and the same first three letters as my first name. (In the beginning, I only registered that our initials were the same.) I called the store (at which I do not shop), to find out how this person, who is real and lives in a neighboring town according to google, became associated with my address. They thought I just wanted to get off their mailing list. Beyond clueless.

My credit seems fine. No new credit cards taken out in my name, but they wouldn’t be, would they? It’s not my name. Is this just a direct marketing list fail or something? It’s weird that the first three letters of our first names are the same (with last name identical). How could someone profit from coping my address?

Mary Fouts May 15, 2019 at 1:24 PM

@Carol – I wouldn’t worry about it. We get junk mail at our home addressed to other people on a periodic basis. Could just be an error from mailing/address companies that sell lists to retailers.

Heck, the CA Franchise Tax Board has my name spelled wrong, and I can’t get them to correct it. It’s been 15 or more years. A wonder this stuff doesn’t happen more often than it does. So much for technology!

Mile Drive May 12, 2019 at 10:28 AM

Does anyone know if they are widening the lanes on HWY 4?

Dr. Jellyfinger May 15, 2019 at 10:26 PM

“The I 680/Highway 4 Interchange projects will increase capacity and improve traffic safety for this major highway interchange. Highway 4 serves as the main east-west connection for Eastern Contra Costa County, while Interstate 680 serves as a major north-south connection for Solano, Contra Costa, and Alameda counties. As such, this interchange is a vital connection in Contra Costa County and must be able to adequately serve increased traffic in the years to come.

The project will be split into many phases and will include construction of a three-level interchange with two-lane direct connector ramps for the high-demand northbound to westbound and eastbound to southbound movements. The project will also widen Highway 4 from four to six lanes, eliminate the current eastbound lane drop on Highway 4 west of the Pacheco Boulevard interchange, and construct auxiliary lanes to the adjacent interchange ramps at Morello Avenue and Solano Way on Highway 4, and Pacheco Boulevard and Concord Avenue on Interstate 680”.

AJ BUTTACAVOLI May 12, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Hey Jelly, thanks for your cogent comment – as always you are right on the money – but, alas, I debated whether or not to fully explain my thinking because the last time I mentioned it someone went utterly bananas and ripped me to shreds, but fearless as I am I will go all the way and explain precisely how I evolved at the thinking I have expressed. And here it is: I was raised Catholic and I still am Catholic, but I never really understood Christ until I read the Bible on my own – you may be aware that until Vatican Two, Catholics did not read the Bible – but with Vatican Two everything changed and we could now freely read the Bible which I did. To my shock the Christ I discovered in the Gospels was NOT the Christ I was taught in the faith and I really had to try and figure out why that was so. Eventually, I realized that the Christ of scripture is eastern whereas the church is western and therein lies the problem. Western minds took eastern ideas and sort of mollified them so that they would conform with western thinking. But I discerned that by doing this the church missed the point of everything Christ said which is shockingly different from what the church teaches. Bottom line: Christ says it is all perfectly planned and that he is the beginning and end of the plan and that through him the plan is made perfect because he unites heaven and earth. Basically, what Christ is talking about is Karma, something unthinkable to the western mind. Christ makes it very clear that heaven and earth are one existence and that all things are part of that existence.

S May 12, 2019 at 4:11 PM

glad to see Claycord took off the amber alert. The dad filed a false missing child report hoping to get his stolen car back faster. The dad was arrested, but only a misdemeanor…. slap on wrist most likely……

Mary Fouts May 13, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Belated … Doris Day peacefully passed away this morning at age 97. We have so enjoyed going to her Cypress Inn in Carmel with our dogs for many years. Twice a year for a few days getaway. Looking forward to many more stays at the Cypress Inn. What a wonderful lady.

Justifiable Languor May 14, 2019 at 6:23 AM

She personified sweetness and good. Beautiful voice too.

Michael thorton May 13, 2019 at 11:17 PM

I heard that some one got stabbed last night in the Pacheco Concord area. Does anybody know if this is true?

Original G May 14, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Tim Conway or Ensign Charles Parker of McHale’s Navy 1960s TV show passed away. His acting career spanned 1963 to 2016.

Mary Fouts May 14, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Saw that earlier today, so enjoyed him with his antics in the Carol Burnett show.

My husband Jim mentioned that death often comes in threes. We’ve had Doris Day, now Tim Conway. What entertainer is next?

Kentucky Derby May 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM

There has already been three:

Peggy Lipton (Mod Squad) 5/11/2019, Doris Day, and Tim Conway – between 5/11 and 5/14/2019.

The “threes” has always been rather eerie. Rest in Peace.

Justifiable Languor May 15, 2019 at 8:58 AM

I very much enjoyed Tim Conway and was a fan of McHale’s Navy, too. And of course loved him on Carol Burnette. He had a good life, I hope.

Mary Fouts May 15, 2019 at 1:18 PM

@Kentucky Derby – Thank you for reminding me about Peggy Lipton. I did read her obit in the NY Times, but didn’t recall it when I previously posted.

Mary Fouts May 14, 2019 at 12:55 PM

PH Elementary – Looks like PH may be considering doing an upgrade to the Oak Bark Blvd crosswalk nearest PHE. Noticed traffic counter lines there across OPB this morning. The current crosswalk is in immediate need of repair, nearly 1/2 of the paint is gone.

However, I don’t have much faith in the maintenance of upgraded crosswalks. Late last year, when crossing in an upgraded, flashing-lights-on-the-road crosswalk at OPB and the Canal Trail Crossing, I noticed that only 2 of the flashing lights worked. Don’t cross there much, so can’t comment on the current blinking light status.

Original G May 14, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Saw a white unmarked full size American car possibly Crown Vic. Buchanan at Railroad this morning, with police type push bar setup mounted on front bumper. Had what appeared to be four license plate reading cameras, two mounted between trunk lid and base of rear window and two just up from passenger and drivers doors off lower edges of windshield.
What was strange cameras were pointing straight away from vehicle body, 90 degrees, not angled as have normally seen them. Normal lens field of view usually means cameras are pointer off vehicle at 45 degree angle.

Wondering if a city vehicle, but did not have CA exempt plates.
Any ideas as to what they’re up to ? ?

Justifiable Languor May 15, 2019 at 8:56 AM

Where did they get the Tuna Boat? Would a city use an old vehicle? It might be an old cop car. As you remarked, it did not seem to be pointed at license plates. Unless it was a dummy.

If you see it again, I would say yes it is a city plant. It would have special plates right? What was across the street? Surveillance? Maybe Buchanan is a travel route to Antioch for gangs. Maybe it is a grow house?

Mary Fouts May 15, 2019 at 7:53 PM

As of 7:45 pm tonight, 0.41 inches of rain today in my south PH backyard weather station. I have lived here since 1994. I cannot remember this much rain in May in our Mediterranean climate. And we’re due for at least another inch.

Can anyone else chime in?

Silva May 15, 2019 at 9:14 PM

I’ve seen it before, but not for a really long time, maybe @25 years or so(?). This is my kind of weather!!😊

Justifiable Languor May 16, 2019 at 7:07 AM

We are coming out of a four year drought. I have found May to be changeable, weatherwise. Blustery and cold, rainy and mild. I am pulling from high school memories. Wearing a dress or jeans would depend on predicted weather.

June is more predictable. July and August usually stable, with high temps then cooling slightly for a reprieve.

Shasta Daisy May 17, 2019 at 7:38 AM

Heads up: Blue Moon tomorrow nite.
Not sure we will be able to see it due to the cloud layer.

Peace.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 17, 2019 at 9:25 AM

Alas, poor Grumpy Cat… gone but not forgotten.
All 9 lives used up at the age of 7.
Ironically, the permanently pissed off pussycat died of a urinary tract infection.

Gittyup May 17, 2019 at 4:40 PM

Rest in peace, Grumpy Cat (aka Tartar Sauce). Maybe that infection had something to do with his disposition.

Dr. Jellyfinger May 17, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Accident on Hwy 4 at 242 – overturned vehicle & injuries…. any details?

Atticus Thraxx May 17, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Last. Last day of being married. It feels odd, but as a Last goes, try and top it.

Original G May 17, 2019 at 3:21 PM

Been divorced for years an she’s still around. She moved back from Texas few years back, she’s got no place to go, doesn’t even have car to go live in.
I’m happy, one marriage was enough for me.

If she gets ticked off at me. . . just look at her and say
“what’da gonna do divorce me ? Ya already did that.”

Atticus Thraxx May 17, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Yikes O. G. Rough road. But you’re right. Her BS is no longer my problem. Well, once the house sells anyway. I think I’m gonna have my wedding ring cast into a .308 jacket or two and fire them into the sun. 🤪

KAD May 17, 2019 at 5:13 PM