The Water Cooler – Do You Watch What You Say Around Alexa?

April 15, 2019 12:00 pm · 35 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

QUESTION: Do you have a device like the Amazon Echo (Alexa) or Google Home? If so, how often do you use it, and are you careful what you say around it in case someone behind the scenes is listening?

Talk about it….

Anon April 15, 2019 at 12:06 PM

I refuse to participate. Same thing goes for the Ring doorbell, I will try to call the people instead.

I’m Not a public figure and do not want videos posted online of me.

Dorothy April 15, 2019 at 1:13 PM

You said it for me.

TraumaRx April 15, 2019 at 3:15 PM

In regards of the Ring doorbell and having your pictures posted everywhere…Did you realize there are cameras almost everywhere in public. There’s no expectation of privacy when you are in public. If a person wanted to stand in front of your house and take pictures or videos it’s completely legal. You cannot trespass someone’s eyes while they are in public. It’s called the first amendment.

Anon April 15, 2019 at 4:34 PM

TraumaRX, I thought only seatbelts mattered to you???
Notice that I did not say anything about the legality of being recorded, I’m just NOT going to make it easy and I’m not going to speak to anyone through their Ring.

What if I’m at their house to look at a cable box or water meter? I don’t need a video posted everywhere by some paranoid homeowner who in most cases called for our services.

TraumaRx April 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Your on video everywhere you go. There are cameras all over the place. Stop being paranoid.

Anon April 15, 2019 at 5:42 PM

Sorry,
But there are NO videos of me posted online.
Nothing to do with paranoia, I value my privacy.
Not everyone wants to be a Reality “Star”.

TraumaRx April 15, 2019 at 6:25 PM

Like I said there’s no expectation of privacy while in public.

Anon April 15, 2019 at 7:30 PM

And like I said there’s no expectation of me participating with a camera.

The Fearless Spectator April 16, 2019 at 10:17 PM

Cameras everywhere? Better wear a helmet so the invisible army can’t read your mind.

Nope April 15, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Nope. I won’t have one.

Dennis April 15, 2019 at 12:10 PM

Don’t have a smart speaker, don’t plan on getting one either. These things are just another example of how people are letting tech take over their lives to the point where humans don’t do much thinking anymore.

I see it all the time in my business as an electrician. People seem to think that because they have a smart phone they are invincible, and don’t need to rely on any of their own knowledge. Tech is making us all into a bunch of automatons, blind to many of they complexities of life, and unable to navigate around them. Tech seems to make us much more reliant on others rather than creating independence.

rich April 15, 2019 at 12:24 PM

Have Alexa on an outlet remote and turn her on and off

AnonZ April 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM

I have Alexa and use it quite often. No I’m not careful what I say around her, and NO I’m not worried someone is listening. If they did, they’d get an earful of F*CKS! Bahahahhhahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Pyrrhus April 15, 2019 at 1:21 PM

Seriously, the people so worried about this think way too much of themselves. The majority of us are boring people that nobody wants to listen to including myself. I wish there was a scandal with an Amazon employee listening in on me and my wife. I’d have a nice little lawsuit on my hands.

Personally, I love my Echo devices in the house as I use them constantly to turn on/off lights, the tv, set the temperature, make announcements, etc.

Donk April 15, 2019 at 12:37 PM

I dont have one and will never get one

The Mamba April 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM

I have a couple and don’t really pay any attention to them. Not sure what they are good for either, except playing music.

S April 15, 2019 at 12:49 PM

No… I made her blush once.

😉

Original G April 15, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Don’t have one. A bit of history . . . in 1980s company called mastervoice marketed Butler in a Box used limited voice recognition to activate control modules around the house.

Problem back then was the high price.

Daddy April 15, 2019 at 1:21 PM

I’m actually in a relationship with my Alexa, she has done more for me than any other woman I’ve been with before.

Simonpure April 15, 2019 at 2:15 PM

I’m surprised the sue happy people haven’t played the sex discrimination card.

Anon April 15, 2019 at 3:19 PM

Is it in the kitchen? 🙂

Atticus Thraxx April 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Wait, we’re supposed to judge a woman by what they’ll do for us? Maybe that’s where I went wrong.

tired of taxes April 15, 2019 at 1:22 PM

If you have a smartphone, you have an “Alexa” that’s always listening, always recording (because it will look for the “Ok Google” command to turn on the Google Assistant; unless you have it turned off; I think it is turned off by default since a year or a couple of years ago.)

Here’s how to find out what’s been recorded by Google and delete history: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/6030020?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

If you’re on an iPhone, you’re SOL. Apple won’t let you know your history of recordings (or delete them).

Gail Brown April 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Alexa denies spying on me.
I’m boring anyway.

Roz April 15, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Don’t have a cell or i/smart phone, so no Alexa.
Now, if Alexa, could do laundry, vacuum, yardwork and make me a cup of coffee,…then she would suit my fancy.

Sal April 15, 2019 at 4:33 PM

That ‘s what I’M saying. So the full might of the digital industry has created… a device that can adjust the thermostat without you having to touch your finger to a box on the wall. A device that enables you to skip Michael Bolton on Pandora without getting off the couch. I’m a little underwhelmed.
Remember the early days of computers, when they promised the tools to create a brave new world, limited only by our imaginations? Turned out it was way easier to just call them TVs, but with more ads, and way more ways to spend money. A TV that watches you while you watch it.

Rob April 15, 2019 at 2:37 PM

I don’t have Amazon devices but have plenty of Android devices and nope I don’t disable the mics or watch what I’m saying.

I am far less concerned about what Google may or may not be picking up than I am about all of the information that companies are siphoning up – even if you don’t do any business with them – they all buy and sell data and then refuse to spend the money, hire the people to properly secure their systems….

Bad Nombre April 15, 2019 at 2:43 PM

I do not know this Alexa.

Pony April 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM

Don’t have an Alexa, any other smart home device, nor an internet connected home security system. Also have an old school picture tube TV. Worked too much in tech to trust most of the cool things. Hell my computer spies enough on me and I like my computer

Silva April 15, 2019 at 6:05 PM

I had a fight with Alexa the other morning after a rough night with insomnia. The alarm went off and I couldn’t remember her stupid name to tell her to knock it off. After calling her every name I could think of and finally cursing her out, I had to get up just to unplug her. Funny thing, I’d really thought I’d finally hit on the right name after a while, and I couldn’t figure out what the problem could’ve been till later when I was more awake I realized I was saying “Alexia” rather than “Alexa”.

I don’t care what she hears. If she hasn’t heard it all a million times by now, I think she really should.

Justifiable Languor April 15, 2019 at 7:29 PM

Well! The creature was right rude for refusing to answer you. After all, who else would you have been addressing! The impertinence.

Silva April 15, 2019 at 10:18 PM

Exactly!

Gittyup April 15, 2019 at 10:50 PM

One of those companies, I don’t remember which, recently admitted that employees listened in on conversations in order to improve the product. I don’t have one. I really don’t see the point.

anonares April 16, 2019 at 7:01 AM

One person I know has one. When he is not listening, I tell her to set a 4am alarm. Just being helpful.

ming April 16, 2019 at 4:24 PM

I ask Alexa to play my favorite music when I’m working out @ my home gym. I also get updates on when and where the Golden State Warriors are playing.
I don’t worry about what I say really, because most of the time it’s only me and Roxy, my cat.
Alexa’s ok