Parking Nightmare Continues At Walnut Creek BART Despite New Garage Near Station – $18 A Day To Park

April 15, 2019 20:55 pm · 57 comments

{ 57 comments… read them below or add one }

Noj April 15, 2019 at 9:16 PM

And I hear gas is $4.10 in Redding.

Jack's Fan April 15, 2019 at 9:39 PM

If they cared about the people who can only afford to pay $3 per day for parking to have a space, they never would have built the new garage. It was never meant for you… Unless you can start carpooling with five other riders. You can thank your Amazon shopping, Google searching, smartphone lifestyle for creating this reality 😉

Ilovepopcorn April 16, 2019 at 4:10 AM

I know about Amazon cheats the brick and mortar businesses, smart phones etc. I do not see the connection of high parking prices. What is it I am missing?

Anonymous April 16, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Don’t worry, a 9.0 earthquake will hit soon on the hayward fault and reset everything.

Jack's Fan April 16, 2019 at 10:08 AM

The majority of riders going to the city who can afford these new parking rates are for tech sector or financial jobs, both of which are currently fueled by our “smartphone lifestyles” and the apps/sites which run them. Have you seen the list of IPOs coming out this year alone?

Ilovepopcorn April 15, 2019 at 9:55 PM

We are falling into a serious financial crisis due to no land, no affordable housing, and very expensive accommodations for commuting includes expensive parking. Maybe we should all move away.

chuckie the troll April 15, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Moving is a thing! Lots of friends have retired, sold their homes, and moved to a state with lower taxes, less crowded, more friendly, and less costly homes.

TraumaRx April 16, 2019 at 5:38 AM

Instead of constantly complaining how California is so bad and how expensive it is, plz move. Simple as that.

Dennis April 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM

You said ‘Maybe we should all move away.’ That is actually happening. Plenty of people are bailing this crazy, over priced, way too liberal, sanctuary state. Problem is, doesn’t seem to deter other people from replacing them. Eventually California will crumble under it’s own debt and over regulation.

Captain Bebops April 16, 2019 at 9:21 AM

LOL! Eventually the Bay Area ultra rich will want even the smug ones here to leave the state too so they can make the Bay Area their own exclusive play land using robots to serve them.

OTOH, having lived and worked in Walnut Creek it is rather a small area to cramp in everything and everyone that wants to be there. WC is populated by wannabe yuppies who are never going to be and the right-of-way rule at intersections is “he/she with the most expensive car has the right-of-way.”:D

CoCoOld April 16, 2019 at 9:38 AM

I totally agree! You don’t have to leave the state though. Just don’t come to Plumas county and clog it all up too. It’s like heaven here.

Tsa April 16, 2019 at 10:19 AM

This is just another in the thousands of reasons to leave California. We are moving so we can watch California implode from afar. There are much better places in the country if you check them out.

Fed Up April 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM

We are moving out of state when I retire in less than 10 years. We’ve lived here all our lives and it just gets worse every year. High taxes, traffic and crazy liberal politics. This new governor will through people in the poor house with his continued support of the train to nowhere (just shut it down), universal care for all (unrealistically expensive) and the other liberal policies where government will take care of you – paid for out of the hides of people who work and are already overtaxed. I plan to take my nest egg out of the reaches of CA taxes to a no/low tax state where I can enjoy my retirement. I’ve already determined I can by two homes in different states for different seasons with the sale of my CA home and live comfortably away from the high CA taxes.

JayZ April 15, 2019 at 10:23 PM

Please – BART sold the land to a private developer for $$$$ instead of taking the burden on themselves to provide reasonable options for their riders. I bet the developer is kicking back part of that cash to BART somehow too.

Pork belly contracts.

The Fearless Spectator April 15, 2019 at 10:24 PM

Downtown parking meters are .25 cents for seven minutes. That’s the price to bask in the glory of Walnut Creek. That’s how they keep out the riff raff, price them out so they head East!

However the concept is ill conceived, wealthy people will never live in a transit village.

TreoBART April 16, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Ah, see the wealthy people don’t have to live in the transit village if they can get reserved parking in the garage.

chuckie the troll April 15, 2019 at 10:58 PM

You can park at Walnut Creek Presbyterian Church for $75/week (Monday-Friday only). Way cheaper than $18/day and less hassle.

Mountainside Jay April 16, 2019 at 7:59 AM

I wouldn’t call $15 a day “way cheaper” than $18 a day, but…

chuckie the Troll April 16, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Oops! I meant $75/month! Not sure how many spaces are available.

Thought April 16, 2019 at 6:38 AM

Has anyone ever thought that there are just too many people for our roads, housing, parking, airports, cities and towns. Know matter how many houses, apartments, in-law units and condos we build, how wide and more roads we build, how many new bridges we build, how many new trains, bart, ferries we get it will only get worse. Once the cup is full it will just overflow.

Dennis April 16, 2019 at 7:49 AM

Well said. We are simply too mobile. We need to stay closer to home. Last week when school was out for spring break the traffic was so much less congested. Way too many people taking their kids to school one per car. It’s crazy, when I was a kid we either walked to school or took a bus. And I am still here to tell the story, did not get abducted, nor did any of my classmates.

chuckie the troll April 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM

Many of us have thought that there are just too many of everything here. But if we complain about illegal immigration we are called racists. If we complain about too many housing units we hate the poor. If we complain about living under inept, single-party rule we are told to move.

Natalie April 16, 2019 at 6:54 AM

“You’re never going to have a solution that pleases everybody,” and so BART went with the solution that pleases the developer and not the riders.

The parking situation there is only going to get worse when the “transit village” is up and running.

BART is going to make a mess out of our downtown Concord station if they don’t learn from their mistakes.

Silva April 16, 2019 at 9:55 AM

I’ve been observing this entity since relatively soon after it’s inception, and I say with certitude that BART is immune from learning from mistakes. They are most often reactive instead of proactive. That and the inability to anticipate anything whatsoever is a terrible combination. This is a public transportation service where people go to wait for trains, and exit trains after waiting and riding, and did not design one single station with public restrooms. For many years after they began service if one were to ask a station agent where the restrooms were, or ask to use the key to the bathrooms they were always going in and out of they’d tell you they didn’t have restrooms open to the public, and would not loan the key out. That is why the restrooms seem not to have been designed with the public in mind. They weren’t!

Chris April 16, 2019 at 7:52 AM

People don’t realize that a $3 a day parking fee is highly subsidized by BART and therefore from our ride fares and taxes. BART should get out of the parking business altogether and sell all of its parking structures and invest those proceeds into improving stations.

eric April 16, 2019 at 9:08 AM

Most well developed and planned transit stations subsidize the parking, to encourage people to use the system. That’s the point Chris. When you charge someone $18.00 to park at Walnut Creek and $10.00 (avg) roundtrip fare to ride to SF, what is the users fiscal incentive to not just drive there instead? The point of BART is to relieve the growing congestion on the roads, not encourage it.

Winston April 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Eric,
If BART can fill the parking lot at $18/day then it is removing the same number of cars from the road plus it has more money to provide more service. The $3 lot is underpriced and is making BART service worse than it would be if it were appropriately priced AND it encourages people who would bike or take the bus to drive.

mike favar April 16, 2019 at 8:40 AM

If it costs more to take bart than if does to drive, then people will continue to drive.

Original G April 16, 2019 at 8:51 AM

WHY do jobs have to be West of Claycord ?
Isn’t it way overdue to build centers of commerce East ?

Captain Bebops April 16, 2019 at 10:42 AM

The answer is because the businesses like prestigious addresses for their businesses like ones in San Francisco. There’s no real reason to be there or even in California.

concord yngacio April 16, 2019 at 10:38 PM

Concord or Walnut Creek are not prestigious? Round Table Pizza is headquartered in Concord.

Tim the Troll April 16, 2019 at 8:52 AM

If time is not an issue…

Use the FREE LOT at the Mitchell Dr. Park and Ride.
Take the FREE Shadelands shuttle to PH BART and back.

You can thank me later.

Concord Grape April 16, 2019 at 9:16 AM

You think it is bad now, just wait until the illegals invade this Sanctuary State. Welcome. welcome.

Concerned Citizen April 16, 2019 at 12:29 PM

Wait…you think they’re not in every nook and cranny now?

Fed up April 16, 2019 at 1:26 PM

Thats not PC…term is Undocumented……don’t get me started.

Mimi (original) April 16, 2019 at 9:26 AM

Unless I was making a ginourmous salary by working in The City, there is no way on God’s Green Earth that I would pay $18 a day for parking PLUS round trip BART fare! I thank God every day that I work and live in Central Contra Costa County!!

Mitch April 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Steal a public good, and then sell it back to the public.

BART garages, the fast lane on the freeway, there is no winning.

Welcome to the Bay Area, hand over your wallet, and remember to vote DEM!

North Concord April 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM

I’m surprised more development isn’t happening along Bates Avenue off Port Chicago Highway. Near North Concord BART and several large parcels available to build upon.

Winston April 16, 2019 at 10:54 AM

Bates is too far from the North Concord station to walk to and Port Chicago is terrible to walk or bike on that stretch. People will only walk about 1/3 mile to transit so it’s very important to develop the areas around transit stations densely if you want people to use them.

WC Resident April 16, 2019 at 9:53 AM

@Chris – How exactly is a $3 a day parking fee highly subsidized by BART? Keep in mind that they paid for the land in the 1960s using public funds (our money). The only cost to BART was periodic maintenance. They were old style parking lots with acres of asphalt and minimal landscaping. Parking was free and unregulated.

BART then started a system where they painted numbers at each parking stall and you needed to drop a token into a box that was located inside the paid part of the station. Parking was still free but the intent was to deter people from parking in the BART lot and then using some other means such as carpooling to get to work. This was the start of a trend of BART grabbing and attempting to control resources for themselves rather than considering themselves to be part of the overall mass-transit picture. This also increased BART’s expenses and the hassle for the public as they paid someone to check the token box. If there were empty spots with no tokens they then went out into the parking lot and ticketed cars that were parked in those stalls.

BART then started charging for parking. I believe that trend started in Orinda and then worked its way back on the system to Lafayette, WC, PH, etc. This was a pure revenue grab in my mind.

The latest trend is selling those acres of taxpayer funded parking lots to private developers to build “transit villages.” BART pocketed the money from these sales. At least in PH a large parking garage was constructed though I don’t think they fully offset the loss of acres of stalls. They did not use this as an opportunity to greatly increase the number of stalls to allow for and encourage more use of the mass transit system.

Winston April 16, 2019 at 10:56 AM

Charging below the market price for something is a subsidy. People will pay a lot more than $3/day to park at BART and they should be charged for it.

Ricardoh April 16, 2019 at 9:53 AM

They build BART so you can ride into San Francisco or Oakland for six or so dollars a day and then charge eighteen dollars a day to park in their lot. What a load of you know what. That is just outrages. My suggestion is don’t park in the lot. Find some other way of getting there.

wesley mouch April 16, 2019 at 9:54 AM

Whatever happened to telecommuting? I thought it was the egghead’s solution to all our traffic woes. Any thoughts, or are we all stuck in our cars!?

Captain Bebops April 16, 2019 at 10:46 AM

I was actually good at telecommuting but when I was brought in house and had to manage a bunch of programmers who were telecommuting I had to bring them in house because they weren’t getting their work done. Not everyone has the self discipline to telecommute. There’s the problem. But satellite offices will work but again owners, particularly of tech companies, see their establishment as a castle to rule over their serfs under the roof.

Anon April 16, 2019 at 9:57 AM

I would Never plan my career around commuting.
Also, it’s not 1898 where we are waiting for ships to come to the ports in San Francisco – No reason why every business needs to be over in that sh*thole.

idiots everywhere April 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Bart sold the project to the public indicating that Transit Village would result in no loss of parking. They failed to mention that $3 parking spots would be replaced by $18 parking spots. Thank goodness we voted out Gail Murray. Unfortunately district voting means a limited ability to make any real changes to the Bart board.
The whole focus of the Bart system is to generate enough revenue to keep their compensation promises. Additions to the fleet and maintenance are funded by the Federal Government (borrowed money) or Transportation Bonds (more borrowed money).

Sign from Above April 16, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Cheaper to commute by car now!

Rob Barton April 16, 2019 at 12:56 PM

How about just saying to hell with working in SF altogether and looking for work in the east bay or south bay instead? I could understand if the salaries were good in SF but they are not compared to the peninsula and santa clara county area. Your commute will be longer but your pocket book will thank you in the end. This whole yuppies/elitist mentality has contributed to the misery of increasing fares and parking rates. I was fortunate enough while living out in WC to be within walking distance of BART so I could at least avoid the parking nightmare. Then I realized how much companies in the south bay were willing to pay and said f- working out in SF. Moved a little closer to the silicon valley and dealt with the driving commute down 680.

chuckie the troll April 16, 2019 at 1:09 PM

The goal, stated or not, is to create a region populated by the wealthy, and a servant underclass. What has (and continues) happened in San Francisco (Santa Clara and elsewhere) is beginning to happen here. $18/day parking, +$6 bridge tolls, highest gas taxes in the country, etc…harm everyone except the rich.

jon s April 16, 2019 at 1:26 PM

You can park at my lot for $100 per month in Concord..2 minute walk to Concord Bart,Then ride to WC.

wesley mouch April 16, 2019 at 1:41 PM

To Capt Bebops:

Once again, another tyrant/CEO wants all control (think Darth Vader in the first Star Wars flick, if you can) and blissfully ignores the law of unintended consequences.

I understand the desire for an ivory tower monument along the lines of a Roman Emperor for them, but these tech companies are supposed to make a profit, and putting the workplace (if needed) in an outlying area could significantly boost the bottom line with happier, more fulfilled workers.

Off topic? Not really. Put workplaces near the poor commuting crowd.

Elwood P. Dowd April 16, 2019 at 5:42 PM

I love all the “move out of CA” people. There is not an exodus of people leaving the state. In fact, the population of California has grown every year for decades. Even since 2010, the population has grown by more than 2 million people. https://www.statista.com/statistics/206097/resident-population-in-california/

ConcordRez April 17, 2019 at 12:58 AM

Thank you to the BART employee on his way to work who alerted me to the fact that I was about to leave my car in an $18 lot!!! I usually use Concord but had some shopping planned in WC after I returned from Berkeley. I moved to the BART lot. The slots seemed narrow. When I returned, a large van had parked across its line. I had to climb into the drivers’ seat from the passenger side. Fortunately, my granddaughter’s car seat was on the right side of the car so that I could get her back in the car easily. I will go back to using Concord and find alternative cities for shopping before and after my BART trips. I am so grateful that the BART employee helped me avoid the other disappointment!

anonanonagain April 17, 2019 at 12:10 PM

Sadly, BART is not helping to promote using public transportation with these outrageous prices to ride and park. Shame on BART for being just another greedy conglomerate who rake in the bucks but provide filthy trains to ride in, stations that are sometimes filthy too and awful security. They would rather collect all the money and line their own pockets and their CEO’s. 🙁

BayAreaParent April 17, 2019 at 1:16 PM

I’m always amazed how many people are surprised at the way BART does things. To be honest I’ve seen and heard this kind of stuff for years from the employees. I go from Orinda to SF everyday and the agent is always telling me stuff. She’s hilarious and yes people think they are overpaid (I don’t because 65k base is like poverty in the Bay Area) Not to mention the stuff they see and deal with on a daily basis, no thanks. Anyway she talks about how BART could care less about their employees or the passengers and it’s really more of a real estate company than a transit agency. If you notice it’s all about selling land and building condos. They put up signs that there would be 200 more spaces at Walnut Creek. No actually after the construction there’s going to be less spaces and it’s going to be controlled by a PRIVATE company! You know that means it’s going to be more expensive. Plus we all own BART and why do they keep selling off land? We will need that land in the future. Stop blaming the front line employees and start calling your Board of Director. It’s got to stop.

Poor Richard April 17, 2019 at 3:15 PM

BART planners started pushing the transit villages in place of the parking lots in 2003. They were all extreme anti-car people, and knew they had to retain the existing number of parking spaces in the new garage, but the new housing would prevent any future parking expansion. They did Fruitvale first, and Richmond next. They had presentations for all the original BART stations for transit villages. CCC had already approved transit villages for Pleasant Hill.
Concord did not agree, but WC did.

I gave up and left CA six months ago. I moved to Concord because BART was under construction in 1971.

THE BLACK KNIGHT April 17, 2019 at 9:29 PM

Park at the North Concord-Martinez BART Station, they have plenty of empty parking spaces since the Antioch E-BART Station opened up.