Loaded Gun Found In Felons’ Vehicle After CHP Stops Suspects For Missing License Plates In Concord

April 15, 2019 14:00 pm · 50 comments

Three men were arrested after a California Highway Patrol officer stopped their car for not having license plates and found a loaded gun and illegal law enforcement-type flashing lights under the vehicle’s front grill, the CHP said.

A CHP officer on Willow Pass Road in Concord at the Interstate Highway 680 interchange made the stop at about 4 p.m. Thursday, said Officer Brandon Correia.

But what started as a “simple no-plates stop” escalated quickly, when a loaded gun and drugs were found in the Nissan pickup, and the red-and-blue flashing “forward-facing” light bar installed under the front grill was discovered.

“Forward-facing is always illegal; it indicates law enforcement,” Correia said.

Making things worse for the three men in the pickup was that they are all convicted felons on parole.

They were taken to the Martinez Detention Facility jail in Martinez on felony parole violations, Correia
said.

“There is never a ‘normal’ traffic stop,” he added. “You never know what you’re going to find, so you’re on high alert every time.”

No other information about the suspects was immediately available.

Simonpure April 15, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Glad it turned out well for this officer. Could have gone bad real fast.

Shoulda Coulda April 15, 2019 at 2:46 PM

@Simonpure

You’re so right. Big thanks to these officers
who put their lives on the line to help keep
us safe. As the officer stated “There is never
a normal traffic stop”.

Kentucky Derby April 15, 2019 at 3:34 PM

“There is never a normal traffic stop” is so true. Even though I’m not a threat to police along certain lines (easy KD) and I’m rarely pulled over. If I haven’t pulled out all my info by the time the officer approaches my car, I ask permission to reach into my purse or glove box. I’m well aware they deal with people who reach for a gun, etc. and I try to make the situation as smooth as possible. I have a lot of respect for law enforcement, and I sometimes wonder how they do it. Wow.

Turn n Burn April 16, 2019 at 6:28 AM

Kentucky, actually the best thing to do is keep your hands on the steering wheel. The Officer might see you rummaging through your belongings and might take that as hiding or reaching for a gun, or hiding drugs. It’s less stressful for all involved if you wait for the Officer to be there and watch you find your paperwork.

Kentucky Derby April 16, 2019 at 8:01 AM

Turn and Burn – I’m a middle aged white woman, not a convicted felon. I’m not a threat to law enforcement, and they know it. I usually have my info pulled, but if I don’t I ask permission for a reason. So they DON”T think I’m rummaging.

You’re not making any sense.

WC Resident April 16, 2019 at 10:04 AM

I believe it’s better to not ask and instead to wait with your hands in sight. If and when the officer asks for ID, paperwork, etc. you then get it. That allows the officer to feel like they are in control of things. If you were to ask then that puts you slightly in control which makes the cop nervous.

babytruck April 16, 2019 at 11:06 AM

@Kentucky… So middle aged white women are never a threat? Does that translate to : If you are anything but a middle aged white woman, you are indeed a threat? THAT doesnt’ make sense. Regardless, police put their lives on the line every single day. They go into a situation blindly and I doubt they say to themselves. “Oh she’s middle aged and white. All is good.”

Kentucky Derby April 16, 2019 at 11:23 AM

WC Resident – I understand that perhaps placing your hands on the wheel until the officer arrives might be the protocol they’re looking for. With that being said, please understand that white women from middle class, upper middle class or upper class backrounds are overly trusted by the police. This wasn’t my decision – that’s law enforcement.

I can honestly say that I’ve been pulled over where law enforcement hasn’t even ran me for warrants. I’d run everybody, but that’s not my decision. I’ve gotten one ticket (age 19) and no accidents.

And – yes – I do take advantage of being overly trusted by the police. I shouldn’t, but I do. Or perhaps we’ve earned our trust.

I do realize this isn’t “politically correct.” But I’m being very honest. And I’ve NEVER made a cop nervous. I believe certain people are a relief to law enforcement.

I’m in trouble, and I mean no offense.

Mr. Pink April 15, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Great job, CHP.

Bob Foo April 15, 2019 at 2:29 PM

I’m so glad we have a proper temporary license plate system in place now.

RANDOM TASK April 15, 2019 at 2:33 PM

ahhh 3 of the dems top voters and best representation of sanctuary and party agenda to have felons on the streets accosting people at will
they will be out on bail ..oh wait dems want no bail
so they will be out free since their dem appointed attorney will plea down to young and dumb and promise to be good

Cher April 15, 2019 at 2:42 PM

Random Task, you certainly are willing to place blame without knowing what you are talking about….how about supporting the LAWS that got these guys arrested (not tossed out or ignored) and READ that they are FELONS in the possession of fire arms and drugs and violation of parole means, good bye buddy. NO BAIL.

Baloo April 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM

ahhh 3 of the republicans top voters best representation of sanctuary and party agenda to have felons on the streets accosting people at will they will be out on bail ..oh wait republicans want no bail so they will be out free since their republican appointed attorney will plea down to young and dumb and promise to be good

The Wizard April 15, 2019 at 2:33 PM

Lock them up !

Yves Harlowe April 15, 2019 at 2:42 PM

Oh, look. Another felon with a gun. I guess we need more laws to make it more illegal for felons to get guns.

babytruck April 16, 2019 at 11:08 AM

No no no, Yves. You got it wrong! We need more laws to make it illegal for law abiding citizens to get firearms! Only the bad guys can have them!!

Jo April 15, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Stupid perps – it’s always the same thing – minor car violations always turn into something bigger when they are stopped. They are too stupid to make sure that their vehicles are in good condition if they are carrying something illegal. This new license plate law will be a boon for law enforcement . Now, I wish they would crack down on tinted windows.

Ancient Mariner April 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM

I agree 100%, Jo.
I knew a Superior Court judge who said that the defendants in criminal cases were usually caught because they did something stupid. The example he cited was of a man who robbed a liquor store and dropped his wallet (with all his ID) while running away. The police picked him up later, at his house. He said the smart ones don’t get caught.

Steven Powers April 15, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Jo , they are criminals and they were probably in the process of committing another crime or had already completed one . We should be thankful that this did not escalate into a situation where the officers were hurt…. Good job CHP be safe and I hope the Parolees are sent to prison

Same April 15, 2019 at 2:50 PM

I still see lots of illegal plates. Those are like flashing beacons now that everyone is supposed to have temporary assigned LPs.

Rodger April 15, 2019 at 2:51 PM

I’m still see a lot of paper plates and no plates around Concord.

Cynthia April 15, 2019 at 10:03 PM

Recently we had a car stolen. They found it parked in front of the parolees house and they had put paper plates on it. These people should be deported permanently. There are more and more of them with guns

Anon April 15, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Very Happy that the FAKE plates are finally being enforced, it will probably be stopped as all of the Bottom feeders will claim that it is unjustly “profiling” them.

And those Light bars, even the normal colored white LED ones on 4×4 vehicles Are ridiculous and should be for Off Road only.

Sign from Above April 15, 2019 at 3:28 PM

The large light bars on 4WD’s are illegal on the road (off road only). They’ll be cited if caught using them on the roadway.

Always Right April 15, 2019 at 3:17 PM

Thank you CHP.

Sadly, our own Concord PD rarely does these proactive stops. I have seen CPD drive by flagrant violations including missing plates. Makes me mad when I see so many scofflaws flagrantly violating the laws, but if the police don’t care, why should the scofflaws care?

Steven Powers April 15, 2019 at 8:19 PM

Always Right . Sorry but I disagree, CPD is an active department and is not always able to make traffic stops that you see . Check their calls for service…. the officers do the best they can on a daily basis

Always Right April 15, 2019 at 10:07 PM

@Steven Powers – My observations are only anecdotal, but I need some evidence to be convinced otherwise. I wonder if stats are available indicating the number of pro-active traffic stops per shift?

Calls for service can be prioritized, and somewhere in that prioritization we need to budget time for pro-active stops. Concord is a target rich environment. 2 per shift for every officer should be the standard.

Steven Powers April 16, 2019 at 7:54 AM

Always Right, calls are prioritized and often officers are going from call to call. As a result they are not able to be as pro active… stops are made but then other calls back up . It’s a balancing of priorities unfortunately

The Professor April 15, 2019 at 3:25 PM

I wonder if these class acts had anything to do with some of the recent HWY 4 shootings.

PO'd April 15, 2019 at 4:05 PM

Exactly what I thought of after reading the article-felons doing what they do. Their power comes from firearms, and they simply don’t care if they can legally use them or not, they will pack. And use.
10 year minimum,no time off.

Kauai Mike April 16, 2019 at 7:31 AM

@ Professor – hopefully someone is doing a ballistics check with that gun against recent gun crimes.

MoJo April 15, 2019 at 3:50 PM

Who knows what these clowns were up to but it doesn’t sound like they were en route to a glee party. Red and blue emergency vehicle type lights and a loaded gun? Perhaps their intent was to attempt to pull people over and rob them? Or worse. I think the worse stretch of highway for speeding morons with paper plates or no plates is highway 4 between Bay Point and Oakley. Knuckleheads galore!

Mutts April 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM

3 stooges

Mir24 April 15, 2019 at 4:35 PM

CPD — please crack down on cars without plates! See them all the time. And hopefully CHP will keep cracking down on these, especially the ones crossing our bridges, presumably for free.

Shoulda Coulda April 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM

@Mir24

No plates or paper plates means no bridge toll.
Hopefully this will end. Some people have been
crossing bridges for free for years. It would be
nice to see the CHP assign a few motor officers
to our toll bridges for awhile. Get the word out
that the free ride is over.

GT April 16, 2019 at 9:25 AM

May I point the CHP out to someone who works in my office? He’s had paper plates on his car for YEARS so he doesn’t have to pay bridge toll. And it’s not like he doesn’t have the money. He’s a famous name, especially in the Bay Area!

Anon April 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM

GT,
Where is this said vehicle with paper plates parked during the day?
I will photograph it and head over to CHP on Blum rd to report it.

Atticus Thraxx April 15, 2019 at 5:24 PM

So I’m a convicted felon, let me get into a vehicle with a weapon and drugs. And no plates. And a light bar. That’s just a special kind of stupid. Bye-bye!

Ancient Mariner April 15, 2019 at 6:03 PM

Atticus!
You’re still with us – I’m glad.
I was afraid you had gone the way of Connie Dobbs!

Pete Andreas April 15, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Great job CHP, Thank you

Anonymous April 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM

Finally the Atticus returns!

Googlar April 15, 2019 at 7:13 PM

This could have been prevented if Concord was a gun free zone. Won’t somebody think of the children?

Bedazzled April 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM

@Googlar
Obviously your joking and I did get a good laugh out of it so thanks for that!

I’m confused what the children have to do with anything tho..

chuckie the troll April 15, 2019 at 7:39 PM

They were just beginning to turn their lives around! Didn’t you notice the turning signal?

Seriously, I am glad the officer is safe and these felons off the streets for a few days.

Lovelace April 15, 2019 at 10:16 PM

Were they wearing seatbelts?

The Wizard April 16, 2019 at 8:25 AM

Was the driver on his Cell Phone ?

mike April 16, 2019 at 8:22 AM

Please pull over all cars with paper plates AND the idiots with the “sanded” plates that are SO obvious. I see at least 2 or 3 of those every night. Do they really think they can say the paint “failed” and anyone will believe that?

Great job CHP!

Jeff April 16, 2019 at 9:10 AM

Nice work CHP…………………108RS

Jo April 16, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Straight from the horse’s mouth, Steven Powers, former man in blue – lol.

Steven Powers April 16, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Correct, just looking out for officers