CLOSED: Wendy’s Fast-Food Restaurant On Alhambra Ave. In Martinez

April 15, 2019 8:00 am · 22 comments

Wendy’s, located at 3455 Alhambra Ave. in Martinez, is now closed.

The restaurant didn’t give a reason for the sudden closure, which occurred earlier this month.

This is the second Wendy’s to close in central Contra Costa County within the past two years.

In October of 2017, the Wendy’s on Monument Blvd. in Concord closed. It was demolished a short time later and an El Pollo Loco was built in its spot.

Thanks to Craig Cannon for the photos.

NoMoreFreeRide April 15, 2019 at 8:28 AM

The Wendy’s on Monument was not demolished it was remodeled. Semantics 🙂

Mimi (original) April 15, 2019 at 9:00 AM

Good Grief!! That Wendy’s was totally overhauled and remodeled less than 2 years ago!

Captain Bebops April 15, 2019 at 9:16 AM

Rumor I’ve heard was bad plumbing which has closed a number of places in Martinez and it’s too expensive to fix. That location would be much better for one of the gourmet restaurants opening in Martinez because it has ample parking compared to other places like the old Foster Freeze.

eric April 15, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Yes, it always smelled horrible in that restaurant, for years, and it wasn’t just in the bathroom, it was throughout the entire restaurant. If, I ever ate there, I only went through the drive-thru!

Duchess of Martinez April 15, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Not a rumor —- witnessed the entire sewage experience when I asked to use the bathroom. The smell of urine and it’s companion was atrocious and scared the hell outta me. Smell seemed to be coming from the drain in the bathroom no matter how much covered up.
Decided not to use the bathroom, eat the meal or come back.
Unless they get a handle on it I’m thinking no restaurant should have a bathroom with that much foul sewage smell

Dennis April 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM

It should have been demolished. I went there one day and thought it smelled like a sewer inside. I went to the men’s room only to find that someone had smeared feces all over the walls. I immediately left without ever going back.

JazzMan April 15, 2019 at 9:25 AM

The Wendy’s on Monument WAS closed, torn down, and is now El Pollo Loco. No semantics.

JustMe April 15, 2019 at 9:51 AM

Wendy’s have always been few and far between. They seem highly inconsistent among each other. The one in Pittsburg is falling apart, literally. You go through the drive thru and tiles have fallen off the building and have not been fixed or replaced. I like the one in Walnut Creek, but it’s a chore to get out of that location. Chick Fil A has the same problem but in reverse. It’s hard to get in. Someone thought it was a good idea to have a 24 hour next door, with a shared entrance.

Didn’t realize they remodeled the one on Monument.

My only criticism of Wendys is they used to be better back in day. I miss their original fries, which were so much better. Also miss the salad bar.

Daniel April 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Very spot on. I worked for Pittsburg location. Horrible place to work. Small franchise making as much money as they can before corporate sits them down. The bathrooms areas have exposed plumbing the kitchen area is worse with several beyond repair appliances. Dish washing area is gross built up grease everywhere. The fry process is unfollowed frys oftentimes at night are redipped in hot oil addtional 30 secs after sitting hour or more. The froasty machines are cleaned as directed. I could go on. Ask an ill tell you

Depsgirl April 15, 2019 at 10:04 AM

Surprised it stayed open as long as it did. I noticed the lack of lines at the window driving by everyday the last few years.

MikeyV April 15, 2019 at 10:21 AM

That one on Alhambra was TERRIBLE. I like a good Wendy’s burger every now and then…every time I tried that one on Alhambra, it was truly disgusting. Add to that the restaurant and the grounds/lot looked terrible.

This one was not remodeled recently. It’s straight out of the 80’s.

Good riddance. Even if it leads to an empty lot.

Wildcat April 15, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Too bad. Other than delis this side of Martinez doesn’t have spit for those of us on a 30 minute lunch.

trizzle April 15, 2019 at 1:24 PM

Would be cool if Chick-fil-a opened up there.

The Mamba April 15, 2019 at 1:36 PM

Hello, I have the official reason it closed right here: Wendy’s is gross. thank you.

Norcon April 15, 2019 at 2:33 PM

Doesn’t surprise me. About 6 months ago I went in there and ordered the 10 piece chicken tender meal with BBQ sauce. The guy behind the counter apologized to me and stated “We have to charge you 25 cents for each container of BBQ you would like. It is a new policy that went into effect last week”. Are you kidding me? I ordered 3 containers and they charged me 75 cents. Never went back again. Not sure if that was just their store policy or a corporate policy; but I have never ordered chicken tenders again from Wendy’s

Bob April 15, 2019 at 2:55 PM

About a week ago the same kind of thing happened at Davino’s pizza. Spent $ 60.00 on pizza takeout and asked for ranch dressing and they said it was 50c per cup. Really after $ 60.00 and I just asked for 2.
Not going back!!!!!!!!

Simonpure April 15, 2019 at 3:39 PM

Yip…my favorite Skipolini’s charged me one dollar for ranch last night. Will be purchasing my ranch at the grocery store from now on.

Shoulda Coulda April 15, 2019 at 8:54 PM

There’s a reason these places are having to
charge for things that use to be free. I was at
New York Pizza in Pleasant Hill. A guy came
in to pickup his pizza to go. He carried it over
to a table, opened the lid on the box and then
proceeded to take the top off a large shaker jar
of Parmesan cheese. He then dumped the entire
jar of cheese on top of his pizza. It’s lowlifes like
this that ruin it for everyone.

Kentucky Derby April 15, 2019 at 9:54 PM

It’s not good business sense to charge extra when you’re already paying more than enough. It’s the cost of doing business. It’s greed. I’ve never been asked to pay extra for anything. Businesses want happy customers, and they want you to return. Good lord.

Martizien April 15, 2019 at 3:36 PM

Wendy’s is revamping the restaurants like Jack in the Box and this owner didn’t want to pay to remodel. Nothing more. Been closed since the end of March.

Atticus Thraxx April 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM

It could be the neighborhoods. Maybe Wendy’s menu doesn’t appeal to Hispanic folks.

Carlos Klement April 15, 2019 at 8:35 PM

Totally wrong, we hispanics love burgers, that’s why get fat when we come live to the United States. It’s the burgers and pizza, not the Tacos!