Claycord – Talk About Whatever

April 12, 2019 21:10 pm · 63 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

wave April 12, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Wave first, again!!

Peter Charles Mitchell April 12, 2019 at 9:12 PM

Dorothy April 12, 2019 at 9:26 PM

My weeds are starting to get under control – finally. Hope you are enjoying this weather in your own way too.

Book report:The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland, 2017. A large, fat book with 5 pages for the cast of characters and a 2 page glossary of Acronyms. But what a hoot the whole thing is. A mix of Sci Fi, magic, toss in limited time travel and how a bureaucracy can grow and take over a small operation, and you have a entertaining story that grows in 5 sections. Oh, and D.O.D.O.? That stands for Department of Diachronic Operation.

Ancient Mariner April 12, 2019 at 9:44 PM

For a long time a woodpecker has been pecking at the top of a nearby telephone pole. It’s not pecking the wood for insects – it’s pecking the sheet-metal marker wrapped around the top of the pole that says “Danger – High Voltage”, and it’s loud, sharp and distinct. I have noticed this for months. I thought the bird was being foolish because it couldn’t get any insects that way until, one morning, I realised that another woodpecker a block or so away was answering in a similar manner, pecking at the metal on another pole. They were pecking alternately. “My” woodpecker would peck for a few seconds and the distant woodpecker would respond for a few seconds, and they kept going back and forth, communicating.
Has anybody else noticed this kind of behaviour? I believe it’s a downy woodpecker, but I haven’t looked that closely.

Givengold April 12, 2019 at 11:29 PM

Woodpeckers are solitary birds and that is how males claim their turf. We have one on a telephone pole behind our house as well.

Mary Rae Fouts April 12, 2019 at 11:41 PM

Could be a Downy Woodpecker or a Hairy Woodpecker. About the same size. The banging is to make sounds for territorial purposes. My house has numerous holes we have plugged for their pounding. And so it continues each year. They love 2nd floor roofs and the associated building components.

misterb April 13, 2019 at 8:44 AM

Ran into the same behavior at my daughter’s house in Montana. Learned that the male likes to make his presence known the the ladies by being the loudest from the highest place possible, which in our case was the metal hood over the chimney or the range hood exhaust. Made for very noisy mornings inside the house.

Sick of it April 13, 2019 at 9:05 AM

Part of there mating call

WC Resident April 14, 2019 at 9:29 PM

The guy with the biggest pecker wins.

Nae April 12, 2019 at 10:08 PM

Happy Weekend!
Does anyone know where I can find someone that has a skill saw? I have a project I’m interested in and need the wood cut out.
Thanks

Mary Rae Fouts April 12, 2019 at 11:59 PM

A skill saw is a component of a proper tool compilation for anyone who does home maintenance and repairs. But it’s very dangerous in untrained hands. I do not loan mine out to anyone due to liability purposes.

The saws are readily available for purchase at hardware stores.

Dawg April 13, 2019 at 12:11 AM

If you can’t borrow one, you might be able to rent one at Wally’s Rentals on Clayton Rd.
A low end saw isn’t too expensive, Lowes has a Craftsman advertised online for $39.00.

Cowellian April 13, 2019 at 6:47 AM

Cowellian’s First!
Y’all have a great weekend.

Concord rehab business April 13, 2019 at 8:27 AM

Help Concord neighbors,,we have a new company that took over the former rehab recovery home that failed next to us due to overdoses and attempted and successful sucides along with the other problems..now a new company has taken over,Oxford house,please Google for lots of info,they think they can run a flophouse with 11 yes 11 beds with no supervision ,all males adults…please we need help so this does not come to the neighborhood.the owners of this property Steven and patricia Williams from Danville ,told us to bad that’s what u get for living in Concord…help this home is at 4072 Lillian drive ..thanks to all that can help

Always Right April 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM

@concord rehab –

You and your Neighbors need to get together and fight this. Who at city hall approved this use? We still have zoning laws and use restrictions on the books, and many neighborhoods have CC&Rs which provide further restrictions.

Miketeel44 April 14, 2019 at 5:41 PM

My neighbors and myself had a similar problem two years ago. We fought it, but the City of Concord pretty much told us to f@#^ off. After we complained about the problems it would create, We were totally blown off, and immediately attacked on any and all code issues on the street. The first was parking in front of our homes, which went no where, as it is a private street, then it was told we were to forced to tie into the sewer system, even though we are all on septic.
Every day for weeks, the City Of Concord did all it could to screw us for complaining about the city allowing what they want, where they want it. It turned into a nightmare. The only help we received from the city, was David Boatwright, Sr. Administrative Analyst, who took the time to look into it, and at least kept us from being charged for a sewer tax that we don’t even tie in to! I guess my bottom line is, the City of Concord will not help you, and if you push it, be prepared to fight and defend yourself!! The City will come after you

Original G April 14, 2019 at 6:39 PM

Miketeel44 … An to anyone else this might happen to Document harassment then you and all rest of neighbors file complaints with Contra Costa Grand Jury.

Anon April 14, 2019 at 9:40 PM

What about calling the housing authority? Call PG&E and report a gas leak.

Sounds unsafe and needs to be inspected just like a foster home or senior care facility.

Pat April 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM

I wonder if you’d ever find one of these homes next door to a council member?

Concordejet April 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM

Easter Joke

What type of music dose a bunny listen to?
hip hop music LOL

Cabbie April 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Saw a couple of eagles up by the homeless shelter this morning on Arnold Industrial Way they weren’t bald so I’m assuming they’re possibly golden eagles they were spreading their wings in the sun trying to warm up for from what I read they spread their wings in the sun to heat up their oils and their feathers to preen them easier very Majestic looking wingspan probably three to four feet

Justifiable Languor April 13, 2019 at 9:59 AM

The “Bald” Eagle has a white feathered head. It is not bald. Turkey vultures have bald red heads-no feathers on head. An immature bald eagle can be confused with the Golden Eagle. Yes, the wingspan is quite distinct.

Chicken Little April 14, 2019 at 6:57 PM

It was probably Joe Walsh and Don Henley. I hear times have been pretty tough for them lately.

Justifiable Languor April 15, 2019 at 9:15 AM

I thought they were all in Margaritaville with Jimmy.

Silva April 13, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Wow! What ever it was, good job spotting ’em.

bayslashers April 13, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Does anybody know who to contact that can look into a signal operation change?

The green arrow to make a left from Galindo on to Cowell is way too long (at least on weekdays in afternoon). All of the cars waiting to turn make it through, then it stays green for seemingly an extra minute or too. You could probably leave the movie theater and make this light.

Traffic heading north on monument/Galindo backs way up to the shopping center @ Walters way. By the time the light does turn green, only a limited number of cars can make it through.

Can’t wait to see the congestion after all the new apts and soccer stadium are finished. Sigh. Is there still such a thing as a city planner? Does concord have any?

On another note, any updates on half priced books? Possible new locations? C’MON CONCORD, DO SOMETHING RIGHT

Jojo Potato April 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM

The city’s website has a whole page that lists contact information. Even one for traffic signals. Look it up.

Enjoy.

Jojo Potato April 13, 2019 at 3:30 PM

Well, here’s another clue for you all
The walrus was Paul

My grandboy has discovered the Beatles. We’re having a great time enjoying the music. I was about the same age when I got a copy of the White Album on 1/4 inch tape and played over and over until it finally broke. Maybe it’s just spring. Enjoying.

Silva April 13, 2019 at 6:41 PM

You got a grandson who likes real music? How wonderful!

KAD April 14, 2019 at 1:25 AM

Our 8 year old grandson likes Leonard Cohen. Our favorite too.

The Fractionator April 14, 2019 at 10:55 AM

Your Grandson has good taste! I was just looking at my Beatles albums, yes albums, thinking of getting rid of them. Just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Eldrige X April 13, 2019 at 8:32 PM

What was going on in downtown Pleasant Hill today at about 2 to 3 p.m.? Police cars with lights on at city hall, a helicopter circling over head and police looking over a car at the Gregory offramp! That off ramp has had a long history of car chases, shootings, and the fatal shooting of a robber on a motor cycle who tried to hold up an Armored Car.

Shoulda Coulda April 14, 2019 at 6:11 PM

@Eldridge X

Not like the good old days when you could
park in the Albertsons parking lot and watch
the movie at the Pleasant Hill Motor Movies
across the exit for free.

Badger April 14, 2019 at 8:41 PM

On the scanner I heard they were searching for a BMA and a HMA that ran behind behind Safeway. They probably came from the car you mentioned. PHPD were getting calls of them jumping fences heading north along the trail. Got reports of them in the canal. Police finally caught the HMA around Santa Cruz Dr. His shirt was dirty like he had been hiding in bushes and going over fences. He fought with the PD as they took him into custody. They didn’t find the BMA, Don’t know what the original problem was.

d baldwin April 13, 2019 at 10:46 PM

can anyone tell me what happen to concord Clayton police dispatch

Dr. Jellyfinger April 14, 2019 at 6:27 PM

I don’t know…. last time I listened in I just heard them send a SPRAT and nothing else.

Dr. Jellyfinger April 16, 2019 at 8:29 AM

I checked around again and can’t find it.
Due to the lack of any response, I guess nobody else knows either.

Atticus Thraxx April 15, 2019 at 8:10 PM

I don’t want to jack that thread Ancient One, but thanks, nice to be missed. I’ve been lurking here some, haven’t had much to say. If you can imagine that. I miss Connie too. Dang can she write. Back in the day here on Claycord you could really get into it with people. You know, back before the Industrial Outrage Complex spread faster than a cold sore on Paris Hilton. And now even the wing-nuts need their safe space. Luckily, I amused her some so we never bloodied each other. I’m no fool. Good times were had by some. 😜

Silva April 16, 2019 at 10:43 AM

You’re always in our thoughts, best wishes, and prayers, Atticus Thraxx. And mostly in a good way I’m sure!!😊 I wasn’t around for long by the time Connie Dobbs left us but she sure was good fun as long as you didn’t get under her skin. Your histerical repartee was my intro to social media after my mom died. I hung around fo more of that!😆 Ah, good times. Who was it said somewhere around here (paraphrasing) “Gee, ya think she could write.” recently?

ConcordKate April 16, 2019 at 9:38 PM

Missing you, Atticus.

Dr. Jellyfinger April 15, 2019 at 11:05 PM

I miss Laurah Zah & Professor Hermie Skywild… (sigh)

Silva April 16, 2019 at 10:18 AM

I do too.

Pat April 15, 2019 at 11:18 PM

It’s obvious to me that Kevin Durant HAS BEEN saving himself for when he becomes a NY Knick.

Silva April 16, 2019 at 10:50 AM

Antler, I hope you’re mending nicely and you got back home.

Antler April 16, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Thank you, Silva, for your caring!
After two months, I am home again!!!
It’s possible that on Thursday the surgeon will authorize me to have a walking cast. (Physical therapy will be a lot more productive when that happens.)

Sylvia Lundy April 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Oops! Sorry for double answer above. My computer did not indicate that my first comment had gone through.

Antler April 16, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Silva, after two months, I am delighted to be back home again! And Thursday the surgeon will X-ray and “might” authorize a weight-bearing cast.
Thank you so very much for your lovely hopes!

Silva April 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM

I’m really glad you’re home, Antler. Fingers crossed for Thursday!

Atticus Thraxx April 16, 2019 at 5:51 PM

Holy mackerel Antler, I had no idea you pulled up lame! Two months? You’ve been layed up for two months? How do I not hear of this? Wow. If it’s not too private, or been discussed to death, can you tell me what happened? Tripping the light fantastic where ya? Or was it the ‘ol ‘too much Irish in your Irish coffee’? Spill woman.
Glad you’re home.
Hi Silva, as usual, you make me smile! 🙂

Antler April 16, 2019 at 9:25 PM

Atticus…. it was a Valentine’s Day fiasco!
Walking too fast on my rain-drenched front walk.
Right foot slipped forward and up into the air …
(See me briefly defy gravity before crash landing.)

Taken to John Muir Walnut Creek by Fire Department paramedic limo.

At hospital, the X-ray tech dumped me off high table onto floor when removing plate.
More X-rays.
Vertical break of fibula. Plus then the gratis 3 broken ribs.
4 days in hospital.(including surgery to set and pin broken leg).
3 weeks in short term care facility.
Transport back to hospital.
Diagnosis pneumonia … 4 more days in hospital.
Back to a different short term care facility for 3 weeks.
Still confined to non-weight-bearing cast.
Finally back at home with private-pay caregivers.
PT and OT sessions ongoing here at home.
Fingers crossed for the surgeon’s verdict on Thursday.

Thank you for your concern, Atticus, and I hope whatever load was dumped on you yourself is easing up considerably by now.

Slow down and be careful on wet walkways, everyone!!!

Justifiable Languor April 17, 2019 at 6:06 AM

Good golly! That is a nightmarish story! Mend well soon!

Silva April 17, 2019 at 3:42 PM

Oh dang it, pneumonia, too.

Atticus Thraxx April 17, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Man, I thought I was having a crappy 1st quarter. remind my to count what blessings I have. And pneumonia kills, that’s a fact. Let me get a hold of my S-1 see if we can put you in for a medal. 😉
I just thought of you when I saw that Bobcat picture Mayor posted. How cool?

Jo April 17, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Antler, I don’t know you at all, but am sure sorry to hear of your terrible ordeals, and to get pneumonia on top of everything was the final straw, I’m sure. I understand this is a common occurrence when at care facilities. Can you share which facilities you were in because I have friends who have been in the various ones in the area and some were not so good., especially Manor Care in Walnut Creek. You have been through a lot and have a long road ahead and I wish the best for you.

Antler April 17, 2019 at 7:27 PM

Thanks once again for all your kind comments and commiserations!
Jo, I had rather not comment negatively on any substandard facility by name. Pneumonia is a common aftermath of broken ribs; but other problems at the first facility were reported through an omsbundsman, who filed and got California health inspection (and fines levied).
I can, however, recommend Tampico Terrace in Walnut Creek; all types of patient, nursing, and PT/OT care there were wonderful (even though the quality of meals was pathetic).
Atticus, yes…. that bobcat photo is stellar!!!

Jo April 18, 2019 at 8:57 AM

Antler, I understand that you don’t want to comment on sub-standard care facilities, but it is also important for the public to know about these places. I live in a senior complex and also have other friends who have had to use these facilities and it would be important to know which ones are good/bad, even though I have my own ideas just from observation and visiting friends who were in them for rehab. I wish I could get a private message to you somehow.

Dr. Jellyfinger April 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM

I personally would not be caught dead at any of those C. difficile farms.
Give me the Hospital or home care.

Jo April 18, 2019 at 1:24 PM

The problem Dr. Jellyfinger, is the fact that you can get C-Diff at hospitals as well as care facilities. Those are the two most notorious places for it. Hospitals are not germ-free by any means.

Dr. Jellyfinger April 19, 2019 at 7:50 AM

Really? You mean just because the hospital is full of sick people it isn’t germ free? Golly wow! that never even occurred to me.

So… if you were afraid of being infected which would you rather be at…
a convalescent facility or a hospital?

Where do you think you will get the most professional care?

Mary Fouts April 18, 2019 at 11:29 PM

Recycled Water – For those of you who haul recycled water for outdoor/garden watering from the Contra Costa Central Sanitary district … Their residential fill station is temporarily closed, as I leaned when I wanted to do some runs this week to fill my recycled water tanks. (Yep, with the heat, gardens, potted plants, and grounds are getting dry.) I as informed that they hope to have the fill station up and running again by the end of the month.

Normally the fill station is open 9 AM – 4 PM Mon – Sat. You can get updated info by calling the Recycled Water Hotline at (925) 335-7717

KAD April 19, 2019 at 3:43 PM