City Of Concord Expected To Reject Chick-fil-A’s Plan To Build Restaurant On Willow Pass Rd.

March 24, 2019 14:59 pm · 99 comments

Concord city staff is set to recommend the City Council reject a general plan amendment and rezoning to allow a Chick-fil-A restaurant at the site of closed Chinese buffet on Willow Pass Road.

In December, Chick-fil-A submitted a preliminary application to develop a franchise-operated restaurant with drive-thru service at 1400 Willow Pass Road. The site is now the closed Lin’s Buffet Chinese restaurant.

Chick-fil-A had earlier explored building a restaurant at 1225 Willow Pass Road (now the empty former Elephant Bar restaurant) and 1353 Willow Pass Road, which has since become the site of Gen Korean BBQ House.

And while those parcels were zoned for fast-food restaurants with a drive-thru, Concord city staff said they wouldn’t have supported those locations over concerns about effects on traffic, circulation and economic development.

The city has similar concerns with the Lin’s Buffet site, which currently is zoned for fast-food restaurants, but not with drive-thru windows.

A city staff report says Chick-fil-A was encouraged to explore other areas of Concord to build, but that Chick-fil-A has said it wants to build near Interstate Highway 680, which is a quarter-mile west of the Lin’s Buffet location.

The Concord City Council meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the City Hall council chamber, 1950 Parkside Drive.

rings4me March 24, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Go ahead Concord and BE totally Stupid. Chick-fil-A is great Food. Hey… Chick folks…. Try down Willow Pass just a bit into Pleasant Hill. Maybe old Blondies local…. or Tahoe Joe’s. Tahoe Joes has to be pulled down anyway due to the mold!!! YEP
Maybe something near DVC. Car max will open soon. You get college and school traffic. Close to the mall. might give In and Out some competition??

Concord Mike March 24, 2019 at 9:09 PM

Here is the letter I just emailed to city council. City staff does not have the last word on this. Contact your council and let your opinion be known. They actually do pay attention to public input.

CityCouncil@cityofconcord.org

Mayor Carlyn Obringer,
Vice Mayor Tim McGallian,
Council members Dominic Aliano, Edi Birsan, and Laura Hoffmeister;

This Tuesday you will be considering an application for a Chic fil-A restaurant and drive through in a location on Willow Pass road which currently has an abandoned restaurant generating zero revenue for the city.

Chic fil-A is a VERY popular restaurant. Average annual sales are about 4x the size of Starbucks and about 30% higher than McDonalds. Sales tax revenue on 5 million dollars a year is not trivial. I believe a lot of the sales tax will be paid by patrons from nearby Pleasant Hill, Martinez, and other locations who will come to shop in Concord (including our nearby Veranda and Willows retail centers). Because this restaurant is such a favorite – people will drive long distances.

We would be crazy not to approve this.

You may hear some politically motivated objections, which I hope you ignore. To be honest, I am not a big fan of Starbucks management, but I was happy to see their drive through approved and built in my neighborhood. I say don’t let politics get in the way of a good cup of coffee or a good chicken sandwich.

Chic fil-A will be a very good business for Concord. If we miss this opportunity and one gets built in Pleasant Hill or Martinez near our border, we will lose actual sales tax revenue as Concordians drive out of town for lunch or dinner.

Concord Mike

Badge1104 March 25, 2019 at 7:35 AM

Funny, I too thought that the liberal Concord Council was giving ChicFillet a hassel because it’s owner is a conservative. I do think that that is where this is coming from.

Robert Taylor March 26, 2019 at 9:48 AM

The Blondies location wouldn’t work since they are still there!

ZZ March 24, 2019 at 3:25 PM

So when did the Concord City Staff start caring about the TRAFFIC?! Aren’t they building more and more apartment complexes because of the “housing crisis”? What about the soccer stadium they want to build? And the CNWS?

Cellophane March 24, 2019 at 4:25 PM

The Staff is not so much concerned with traffic, that’s just what they said.

In reality, City Staff is a far left group of folks, do there is no way this place can find a location in Concord.

They decided for all of you, to bad you don’t get a say.

Amy March 24, 2019 at 4:53 PM

I love Chick-fil-A. I want one in Concord. The Concord City Council obviously doesn’t t have a clue who the voters want. DRIP on any of them who won’t approve this. If they cared about traffic they wouldn’t have given the thumbs up to that stupid soccer stadium.

Sick of it March 24, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Hmm traffic. And yet these same idiots want to put a soccer stadium in by the police station. Remember all of this when it comes time to vote them out

MrsT March 24, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Come on City of Concord, Chick-fil-a is good place that does great business. Willow pass road would have been the perfect place for them, get rid of those buildings that are just rotting.

Chester E. Kitty March 24, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Oh … so let me get this right … the City is worried about traffic concerns fwih a Chick-Fil-A and yet they are leaning towards building a soccer stadium (they do know how big these are, right????!) on Galindo Street? Hmmmmm….like I’ve said … we need to overhaul the whole Concord city council.

Silva March 24, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Irony. However no matter what, in Concord the same old people with the biggest signs always win. You can easily predict who will get what position by the order in size of their campaign signs. Year, after year, after year.

Nunya March 24, 2019 at 3:52 PM
ZZ March 24, 2019 at 4:19 PM

Did you read the link? It said it was a hoax back in 2012. So it looks like you’re one of those who just reads headlines.

Unless you’re just being funny.

Nunya March 24, 2019 at 4:51 PM

yes to the 2nd one, and apparently failed at sarcasm like Mueller and the Democrats failed framing the president for collusion.

ZZ March 24, 2019 at 5:11 PM

My apologies.

Nunya March 24, 2019 at 6:01 PM

@ZZ

no worries, gave me a chance to play the “trump” card. LOL

have a good one

mike March 24, 2019 at 3:52 PM

I’m thinking the City of Concord wants more Pollo Locos then Chik-fil-a

I think they are just being racists and trying to block them for political reasons. They pay well, have THE BEST spicy chicken sandwiches.

They let the In N out jam up the Target lot, but they are worried about a stand alone parking lot like the old buffet or elephant bar?

I hate having to drive over to Walnut Creek for their food, but I still do it all the time. It’s that good!

Dogg Bert March 24, 2019 at 4:04 PM

I’m thinking if you can’t even figure out that Concord and Pleasant Hill aren’t two different cities, you probably shouldn’t be commenting like you know something.

Ven Xeter March 24, 2019 at 4:11 PM

Based on recent comments on various threads, I think a look in the mirror may be warranted before throwing the word “bigot” around.

Joatmon March 24, 2019 at 4:15 PM

I say let them do it! there isn’t going to be that much of an impact on the already heavily congested Willow Pass Road as it is. Cars are usually bumper to bumper and maybe folks may opt to stop in for a meal to take home instead of sitting frustrated in traffic. Look, they allowed a Popeyes at the corner of Clayton Road and Ayers and the drive-thru dumps out on Ayers causing huge backups but I suppose that was okay? If Chic-fil-A can clean it up and get rid of the rodent problem I say good for them. besides, it’s a healthier alternative to burgers

Shiloh March 24, 2019 at 5:18 PM

The Popeyes drivethru exit isnt really the direct problem there. Popeyes is nowhere near as popular is chick fil A. It’s that the gas station parking lot area is so narrow BECAUSE they squeezed a smelly Popeyes back there. That’s where all the backup comes from. It was a really stupid decision. That lot is way too small for a Popeyes, AM PM and gas station.

chuckie the troll March 24, 2019 at 4:22 PM

If the City, in all of its wisdom*, can approve a Starbucks with drive-through, at the corner of Treat and Clayton Road, and if they can approve a Dunkin’ Doughnuts on Clayton Road near Treat in a little strip mall, they should approve a Chick-fil-a on Willow Pass Road! Because the two ‘projects’ I cite above create a mess during the commute, as anyone in the neighborhood could (and did) tell them.

Silva March 24, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Right? Anyone could see all that coming. I bet they’re hatching a plan to stuff ’em somewhere insane on Clayton Road with a shoehorn, as we speak.

Melissa March 24, 2019 at 4:25 PM

I applaud the city of Concord for rejecting Chick Fil a. Terrible company.

CA to TX March 25, 2019 at 7:28 AM

How is Chick-fill-a a “Terrible company” as you state it. Just because their CEO has different opinions than you doesn’t mean they are terrible…Oh wait you are probably one of those people who think that if someone doesn’t agree with you they are wrong. Let me hand hand it to you, y’all are great at throwing temper tantrums to get your way, reminds me of my 2 year old niece, but really you are going to want to stop something that will provide millions of dollars of tax revenue to help your social programs. Well, this just gives me another reason I am happy I moved out USSC (United Socialist Soviet California).

Oh, please March 25, 2019 at 8:39 PM

I hope you know you belong to the party of hate. You hate someone for their opinion. Chick fil a has done nothing but positives for the communities n which they reside.

Robert Taylor March 26, 2019 at 9:55 AM

What exactly do you base your statement on! You obviously are looking at the facts if you think there are a terrible company. The food is good and fresh and they do a lot for the communities they serve In.
If you’re basing your statement on the fact that the owner was a Christian who believed in biblical marriage, then you need to re-think your statement.

Cellophane March 24, 2019 at 4:29 PM

The City Staff and the City Council do not work for what best for Concord.

They work for what’s best for themselves.

Until the good people of Concord change that, the there’s nothing to discuss.

The City will do what it wants.

Bill Bob March 24, 2019 at 4:29 PM

The city council is not stupid, they must have a good reason for the concerns, but I wish we knew more about why. There is a serious lack of drive through establishments here. The C-FilA on Main has a line of cars pretty much open to close. They do an excellent job of getting you through quickly and tastily, though. Seems like a plus to that area. There must be some concerns about traffic on Willow Pass.

Oh, please March 25, 2019 at 8:40 PM

Their reason is they have a mental disorder. It is called liberalism.

THE BLACK KNIGHT March 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM

Bill Bob,

It’s not the Concord City Council that recommended Chick-Fil-A be rejected, it’s City of Concord staff that recommended the Concord City Council reject Chick-Fil-A.

Bill Bob March 27, 2019 at 8:19 PM

I don’t understand the comment about “liberalism”. What exactly does that mean? Should we not have a city government at all? What else do you recommend?

Bob Foo March 24, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Concord city council is a group of bird-brained nitwits, and that’s before the corruption is accounted for.

Tim Grayson has ties to the developer for the CNWS. Did everyone forget that? And Mark Coon “killed himself” as he was looking into the connection.

RIP Mark Coon

Silva March 24, 2019 at 5:08 PM

A v e r y odd set of circumstances that.

Chuckie’s Wife March 24, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Traffic? Really? Give me a break! The city council doesn’t give a flyin’ flip about it’s residents or how heavily impacted they are by traffic. Case in point the drive through Starbucks at the corner of Clayton and Treat, as well as the already mentioned soccer stadium.

Chick-fil-A was encouraged to xplore other sites… really? And what would that do? Big, fat nothing – they already tried two other sites and were shot down.

Nope, not buying the traffic excuse. Me thinks it’s because of who owns the company. Way to go, Concord City council.

Kyle March 24, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Sounds like a good place for it,we need something different.

Pony March 24, 2019 at 4:44 PM

This doesn’t surprise me. First this is the same group who cited noise and traffic for not putting a WalMart in next to Lowes. Guess it would have a negative impact on the homeless. Second, Chck-fil-A, like Walmart, doesn’t give kickbacks to cities. No coin, no approval. The rules of little Chicago

Winston March 24, 2019 at 4:55 PM

This is a rotten decision. Chick-fil-A would be an excellent use for that location. In term of traffic generation, any restaurant use of that parcel will cause traffic since it is so far from where people live and the city is going broke due to its excessive spending and is turning down tax revenue and that makes no sense.

Who Knows March 24, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Concord city council are left wing bigots. Shame Shame on them. Vote the haters out!

Beanzy March 24, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Chic-fil-A has a presence a few miles away anyway on Main, just below Geary, and on the same lot as a 24 Hour Fitness, in Walnut Creek.

And mike, In-N-Out is in Pleasant Hill. Dogg Bert is right: you need to study a map. Or maybe read the signs that state which municipality you’re in.

JazzMan March 24, 2019 at 5:50 PM

Good points, but WF 365 is not closing, just converting to regular WF stores.

Roz March 24, 2019 at 7:57 PM

JazzMan is correct,…from what I gather, sometime this year.

Bill March 24, 2019 at 8:20 PM

Didn’t In-n-Out want to build another restaurant in WC and have shot down over noise and traffic concerns? The ones in PH and Pleasanton always seem to be pretty busy, not sure about San Ramon as I never have a reason to go there.

concord ygnacio March 24, 2019 at 10:26 PM

“Maybe Chic-fil-A can take over a portion of the soon-to-close Whole Foods 365 Market.”

It is not closing, only becoming a regular Whole Foods.

“Regarding In-N-Out, this company spaces its restaurants properly. For instance, the nearest ones to the PH restaurant are in Antioch, San Ramon and Pinole.”

Not true. They wanted to build two restaurant close to each other in Pleasant Hill.

concord ygnacio March 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM

@Bill:

“Didn’t In-n-Out want to build another restaurant in WC and have shot down over noise and traffic concerns?”

No, they wanted to build another one in PH, not WC.

Chix lover March 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM

We need a very good fast food restaurant in Concord especially one with Christian values they pay well and are very efficient could bring a lot of revenue to Concord I vote Yes on Chick-fil-A

Max March 24, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Chick-fil-A would be great! I am afraid the Concord City Council may not approve of their “Christian” values. What kind of values do they want? I remember once, yrs ago, Concord was rated as a great place to raise a family, Now its ???? Not so great any more.

Max March 24, 2019 at 7:21 PM

Christian values is the issue. I am not sure what values the Concord City council is promoting. Yrs ago, Concord was ranked one of the great places to raise a family. I fear their values have changed a bit. Chick -fil-A has great values and a great product. Shame on the Concord City Council.

Concord Mike March 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM

@Max,

City council will have their first oppotunity to vote on this tomorrow night. Premature to be shaming anyone unti we know who says and votes for what.

Shiloh March 24, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Interesting how so many people are talking about “hate” in reference to the owners of Chick Fil A (on the Facebook post), yet I remember after the nightclub shooting in Florida, Chick Fil A opened up on a Sunday and made free food all day for the responders and victims families etc

Mary C March 24, 2019 at 5:33 PM

Concord City staff and City council should help locate a location in Concord for Chick-Fil-A. As a Concord resident I would rather have my money spent in the city I live than elsewhere. Chick-fil-a would be a good business to have.

Bert March 24, 2019 at 5:36 PM

Politics aside, Willow Pass Rd is a bad idea solely because of traffic.

Mary Fouts March 24, 2019 at 5:45 PM

This decision is very short sighted. The Chick-fil-A in Walnut Creek on North Main in Walnut Creek is on one of my walking routes. Seems generally busy, including the 2 drive through lanes. One thing that has ALWAYS impressed me: I have never, ever had to pick up fast food trash from the eatery, as I have to do with so many other eateries on my walks. Also, the eatery is kept neat on the outside. And I say this as someone who has not eaten there. I don’t care for fast food, but this eatery has taken very good care of the environment at its WC location. A respectful neighbor.

Silva March 25, 2019 at 12:43 PM

That’s really interesting, Mary. I wonder if they’re devoting the necessary resources to clean up around the place, or if it’s more that their clientel isn’t throwing trash around willy nilly.

Rollo Tomasi March 25, 2019 at 3:07 PM

Not to mince words, but there’s only one drive thru lane. Been there several times. There are two lanes through the parking lot, one is a dedicated drive thru and the other is an exit lane.

RealEyesRealize March 24, 2019 at 5:51 PM

Good, we can keep another boarded up eye sore in the city of Concord. The council members are a bunch of bigots. Good job losers. Maybe we can do some street resurfacing with the tax dollars we put forth…. i won’t hold my breath.

Concord mom March 24, 2019 at 5:54 PM

All I can think is, “gosh it must be nice to live in a country where garbage food restaurants are not a common discussions in a community.” Go home and cook so you know what you are eating. It’s better for you.

Oh, please March 25, 2019 at 8:50 PM

Well, you are welcome to move to one of those countries. Like Mexico, Afghanistan, etc. See ya!

Same March 24, 2019 at 5:57 PM

Concord is not exactly the gold standard for nice cities.

Belairium March 24, 2019 at 6:29 PM

Definitely look nicer than an old abandon building. That place has a jinx on it, nothing lasts for long. Chick fil A will do good. With all those office buildings around perfect lunch spot, they will do great not to mention the tax dollars it will bring in. Bring them in!!

Concord Mike March 24, 2019 at 6:49 PM

City staff is once again at odds with the average Concordian. This is a great location for this highly successful restaurant. It will also bring in new sales tax revenues to Concord as people from Pleasant Hill and Martinez drive in to spend their money in Concord.

Time to contact the city council:

Please email your comments to: CityCouncil@cityofconcord.org Please put “Attention City Council” somewhere in the subject line. The city clerk will then forward to all city council members. Do this today or Monday and the council will see your comments. Better yet, go to the Tuesday meeting If you can.

Here are the direct email addresses for your district representative:

tim.mcgallian@cityofconcord.org represents district 5
carlyn.obringer@cityofconcord.org represents district 2
laura.hoffmeister@cityofconcord.org represents district 1
edi.birsan@cityofconcord.org represents district 4
Dominic.Aliano@cityofconcord.org represents district 3

Follow up with a direct message to your own district council member. Include your address and let them know you think city staff is crazy not to allow this restaurant in this location.

THE BLACK KNIGHT March 24, 2019 at 8:36 PM

The City of Concord staff has their own political agenda, and it’s no secret that staff represents their preferred political agenda over the agenda of the Concord City Council and the citizens of Concord. It’s time for Concord City Manager Valerie Barone to get control over staff instead of letting them push their political agenda onto the people of Concord.

Concord Mike March 25, 2019 at 6:00 AM

@The Black Knight, you are exactly right. Especially true of the planning department. Last year they tried everything, including misleading information, skewed surveys, and expensive consultants to push recreational marijuana retail on our city.

The city council did not buy into their agenda then, and I hope the city council makes it clear good businesses like this are welcome in Concord.

Anonx March 24, 2019 at 7:53 PM

They had no problem approving Salvation Army going in at Berverlys!

Anon March 24, 2019 at 7:58 PM

There are many nearly vacant strip malls on Clayton Rd. that need a great tenant like Chick-fil-A.

Jeff Nunya March 24, 2019 at 8:04 PM

What a joke the Concord City Staff is! You should all vote out these idiots out! There is only huge financial benefits putting a CF at that location would do for the City! Not only that, but getting rid of an empty eye sore that’s been sitting there for years with memories of getting diarrhea everytime I ate at that old place, so why not make some new positive memories there! 680 & 242 access so close would make that a perfect location for CF! Stop being complete ass hats and vote YES FOR CF!!

WC Resident March 24, 2019 at 8:18 PM

That’s disappointing. I have long admired Chick-fil-A from a business perspective. It’s entirely self funded. They don’t use vulture capital or leveraging. For many of their locations they also own the land and building and that too is self funded. As their money is on the line they tend to be far more pragmatic and thorough when research where to expand than the typical “we can succeed on dreams and faith” business owner.

Safety Second March 24, 2019 at 8:58 PM

Claycord voters are idiots… Don’t you realize ALL city councils and Board of Supervisors represent city/county staff and public sector unions.

frenchdawg March 24, 2019 at 9:20 PM

You have got to be joking ,lets not mention the soccer stadium here that wont bring traffic it will just bring money to line the pockets of the crooks that run this city .. Remember Ball

Michael March 24, 2019 at 10:19 PM

Could they build a new structure in the parking lot by the Sears store at sun valley mall? The parking lot is under used and with the Sears auto-center most likely closing in 1-5 years they could tear it down and add additional parking to the area if needed.

Selkie March 24, 2019 at 10:34 PM

Hmmm……. I think I agree with the city on this one. I have to drive that way sometimes and get to a bank that’s over there and I hate how bad the traffic gets sometimes. It really would suck to add something that popular in that particular area. I would likely have to go to a different bank if the traffic gets any worse because sometimes it’s annoying as is. I’m sure there are plenty of other locations that they can choose in Concord.

94521 March 24, 2019 at 11:10 PM

Chick-fil-a is garbage food. I support the council on this.

JoRo March 25, 2019 at 8:01 AM

Let’s look back at ourselves for voting these people in.
Elections matter.

Love My City March 25, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Just what we need on Willow Pass—more congestion especially during rush hour. And there is no shortage of junk food restaurants in our fair town. We could use more places that offer high quality healthy food. Hoping this proposal goes away.

Selkie March 25, 2019 at 11:38 PM

I agree.

Dr. Jellyfinger March 25, 2019 at 8:25 AM

So the problem is that Chi-fil-A and In N-Out are just too successful and popular….. but we can jam in a Popeye’s or a Dunkin Donuts anywhere because they won’t cause traffic problems.

Anon March 25, 2019 at 9:08 AM

I would love to see CF in Concord. If not at the Willow Pass location than somewhere else. Why not on Clayton- no harm in adding another fast food restaurant to the current chain.

anotheranon March 25, 2019 at 10:25 AM

According to the posted article;

“Chick-fil-A has said it wants to build near Interstate Highway 680, which is a quarter-mile west of the Lin’s Buffet location.”

Mimi (original) March 25, 2019 at 9:49 AM

Just to be nit-picky about a little detail, the new Korean BBQ place is in the former Sizzler location, not the former Elephant Bar !! And…if any fast food place should be added to the plethora on Clayton Rd. it should be an H. Salt Fish & Chips or similar.

Rollo Tomasi March 26, 2019 at 6:37 AM

Just to be nit-picky, the article doesn’t say the Korean BBQ is in the old Elephant Bar location. Read it again.

RANDOM TASK March 25, 2019 at 10:29 AM

the conturd city council Is pay to play oriented
if they don’t get a piece …IE… contribution then you don’t get yours built
this has been going on for over 40 years
and same old blah blah get rid of them and stop them and petition them and protest them
still there still suing our money for pet projects and lobbying contributions for building rights
nothing changes we are in a loop of socialist lobbying and pay to play chemes

without a real mayor who is held responsible ….nothing will change and conturd will be used and abused and robbed and thrown away

enjoy you voted for all of this …..and you children will be indentured to it for many years as well

this city as well as state are a direct result of party implosion tactics
city by city the takeover has begun …..

Doc March 25, 2019 at 12:26 PM

Socialism? Fear not Chicken Little the sky has not fallen. How you can call the group of money driven politicians socialist means you either accidentally used the wrong word or you don’t know what socialism actually is.

The Mamba March 25, 2019 at 10:38 AM

We need more Chick-Fil-A, make it happen!

chuckie the troll March 25, 2019 at 10:46 AM

I would really enjoy having Chick-fil-a and In-n-Out here in Concord. Both chains have attempted to open here in Concord and both have been rejected. Why? If City Staff can’t identify a few suitable locations for them, using their questionable metrics, then they need to approve the locations these chains have found. And traffic? Adding hundreds of housing units, bike lanes, and no additional lanes (or eliminating them) for cars is hardly demonstrating concern for traffic congestion.

Kirkwood March 25, 2019 at 10:56 AM

Judging from the history of that location, anything that goes in there isn’t going to last. Too bad though, its a beautiful building that can hold 2-300 people. I saw no logic in one of the tenants removing the beautiful stone fireplace. The only downside I can think of, people had to climb a flight of stairs to get to the restrooms.

I’ve never eaten at a Chick-fil-A, a fried chicken sandwich just doesn’t sound appetizing to me.

Doc March 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM

For some reason that location has been nothing but bad luck for everyone who has tried to make a go of it there. Political crap aside if CF can figure out a way to redirect traffic away from Willow Pass they should put it in.

Doug C March 25, 2019 at 11:22 AM

It’s sad that we reject a business because if it were built, it would actually be popular.

Conc le Bonk March 25, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Where was the city’s concern about BOA taking out a high traffic, valuable, and popular used book store in Todos Santos? If you let that one go through without a fight, what the hell do you care about a homophobic chicken joint opening up in an abandoned haunted buffet restaraunt?

Rollo Tomasi March 25, 2019 at 3:16 PM

Homophobic chicken? Please, by all means, expound on that.

Cowellian March 25, 2019 at 2:50 PM

Chick-fil-A may be fast food, but it’s good food. People who call it junk food are just making up excuses.

Atticus Thraxx March 25, 2019 at 6:44 PM

Gone to have to call you out on that one. They cook their food in peanut oil. Strike one. Their ‘healthiest’ chicken meal contains 430 calories, 12 grams of fat, 39 grams of carbohydrates and an incredible 1460 mg of sodium. Strike two. They spelled fillet wrong and not only won’t correct it, but seem proud of it. Strike three.

Rollo Tomasi March 25, 2019 at 11:33 PM

I’m guessing Cowellian was referring solely to the taste of the food. Wanna worry about health and grammar? Stay home and eat.

sideline March 25, 2019 at 5:02 PM

I bet if it would have been a starbucks, the story would be different

Ricardo Shilly Shally March 25, 2019 at 7:46 PM

The Service Masters Building on Diamond Blvd. would be a great location for a Chick-Fil-A.

Clam Bake March 26, 2019 at 11:27 AM

Our daughter (and her fiance) were forced out of Concord. It is very hard for young people to get a start there. It used to be a safe commu ity, easy access to Community College and Jobs. They were chased, robbed, and harrassed. My daughter could not get to her car without the escort of her fiance. I don’t want to sound racist, but it has become a Hispanic community, with 14 people to one apartment, crime and even human trafficking. Good luck. Chick Filet would bring positivity to the entire Community / but if Concord cannot see that? it is too late.

CLAYCORD.com March 24, 2019 at 10:33 PM

In-N-Out also wanted to build one in the Clayton Valley shopping center in the early 2000s, but it wasn’t approved, apparently due to traffic concerns.

Concord Mike March 25, 2019 at 6:04 AM

@CLAYCORD.com,

Actually the reason In-N-Out pulled out of that plan was due to local environmentalist protests over the plan to cut down some trees on the property.

I was very disappointed about that, but I didn’t blame the city council.

Silva March 25, 2019 at 1:00 PM

And they took out at least one enormous really pretty pine to put in the 7 eleven.

the real just me March 25, 2019 at 1:01 PM

I believe you are correct, wasn’t it the old Hibernia building they wanted to tear down and build on? The thought was the trees around the building needed to stay, but int he end they were ruled diseased and cut down anyway to make room for…Peets Coffee among others. That being said the trees were probably just an excuse because of the traffic. But one thing In n Out focuses on is busy intersections that’s why the are often found near freeways or busy roads like El Camino Real in the South Bay.