The Water Cooler – Should The City Bring Back The Crossing Guard Program For Local Schools?

March 22, 2019 12:00 pm · 31 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

During a December 2018 meeting, one of the Concord council members stated that crossing guards would cause more harm by creating more traffic congestion around our local schools.

QUESTION: Should the city of Concord re-activate the crossing guard program in the city, even if it means more congestion around the public schools?

Talk about it….

ManBearPig March 22, 2019 at 12:10 PM

The schools should be responsible for their crossing guards, not the city.

Cellophane March 22, 2019 at 1:49 PM

Ditto.

Ricardoh March 22, 2019 at 12:11 PM

What kind of dunderhead would get rid of crossing guards? I am really getting tired of stupidity.

Anon March 22, 2019 at 12:16 PM

How about
BRING BACK THE SCHOOL BUSES!!!

Good News March 22, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Sawyer March 22, 2019 at 12:27 PM

School should pay for them, not the city.

S March 22, 2019 at 12:37 PM

It’s all tax monies; it doesn’t matter who provides it…

I feel (my opinion) it is not the school’s responsibility; their function is education. The city; which has a Police Department, is responsible for safety on our roads. The City should provide for it.

Michael March 22, 2019 at 6:21 PM

Concord PD will train volunteers. If you have willing volunteers have them talk to their child’s school principal

KAD March 22, 2019 at 12:43 PM

The schools need crossing guards for the safely of the kids.

School Mom March 22, 2019 at 12:54 PM

I have been taking my kids to school with crossing guards and without. And I can say with certainty the days a crossing guard was sick the traffic was 10x worse. Not that traffic is the main point anyway. It’s the safety of kids that’s important!!

Lauren March 22, 2019 at 1:02 PM

Yes!!! Glenbrook Middle school is busy right off the freeway on Olivera and I see kids and parents almost run over all the time. It is so unsafe and I think in more affluent areas this would never happen. This needs to be fixed ASAP and I don’t think the school is going to provide the guards.

Matt March 22, 2019 at 3:32 PM

We need crossing guards at our affluent schools as well because kids are almost hit on a daily basis over here too.

Laura March 22, 2019 at 1:14 PM

I am pretty sure I would rather have traffic congestion than dead or injured children!!! I would much rather be late to work than have a childs life in danger!!!! Priorities! However, our school HAS a crossing guard, the child that just got hit was hit at a different intersection…..

The issue is that the roads need to be safer around schools. Speed bumps etc.

S March 22, 2019 at 1:16 PM

not all

America March 22, 2019 at 1:20 PM

Yea, let’s worry more about traffic than the safety of children! SMH

Leigha March 22, 2019 at 1:28 PM

MDE has two crossing guards. One the Quarry pays for the other city of clayton pays for. Schools don’t have money in the budget for crossing guards

CoCo Commenter March 22, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Shout out to Shorty at Sun Terrace elementary school for generations of service.

RIP I’m assuming by now

Fed Up March 22, 2019 at 1:39 PM

I’m waiting to hear the tax proposal to pay for this. Now the teachers are handing out flyers asking for smaller class sizes, more nurses, etc, after getting a raise. Consequences of the MDUSD raise are 200 people received pink slips…mostly teachers….just like Oakland after their raise. There’s one pot of money. The more you give to the tenured long time teachers the more that must be cut elsewhere. There are no money trees…then parents are “shocked” that this could happen. Really? Just keep raising taxes…that seems to be the answer over and over. Just wait until we have a recession and the schools are really hurting for money….

NoMoreFreeRide March 22, 2019 at 3:36 PM

No tax they’ll just add a fee to your property taxes to pay for it like everything else.

Amy March 22, 2019 at 7:38 PM

Teacher’s demanded a pay raise and they got it by striking. The people who picketed for them should volunteer to be crossing guards, Don’t they teach basic math in school anymore?

Gittyup March 22, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Actually, I think crossing guards aid in the efficient flow of traffic around schools. I have noticed at crosswalks without a crossing guard, the kids keep streaming across one or two at a time. You can sit there for several minutes waiting for a break in the stream in order to continue. As soon as one sets foot in the crosswalk you have to wait for that one to get across, Meanwhile, another one has entered the crosswalk. Then they just keep coming that way. A crossing guard present will hold them back until there are several waiting to cross. Then, he or she will cross them in groups allowing the traffic to flows relatively smoothly in between each group.

Bedazzled March 22, 2019 at 2:25 PM

Nope, I didn’t need crossing guards when I was in k-12 walking to school by myself from about 9 years on.. Has something changed?

Simonpure March 22, 2019 at 2:35 PM

No brainer

Just Saying March 22, 2019 at 2:40 PM

What about Volunteers? There used to be volunteers and then we could not use them anymore, my assumption is liability? I was a volunteer crossing guard every morning for 3 years, not everything has to be about money it should be more about community and safety of our children

Happy Squash March 22, 2019 at 2:40 PM

YES. They make a huge difference in slowing down drivers. Maybe the district can share cost with city?

Kristi March 22, 2019 at 3:06 PM

I volunteered as the crossing guard in front of Ayers for years, luckily, the awesome group of parents there still volunteer, keeping it going.
Crossing guards keep traffic flowing, by holding the pedestrians back until there is a group ready to go.
The city eliminated the contract they had with the company that they had contracted with, back in 2014 or so. The cost was roughly $8000 per guard for the year.

rich March 22, 2019 at 3:14 PM

I pick up Grand children and the behavior of some drivers & where they park is so unsafe. So many do not come to a complete stop at intersections. Parking in crosswalks, Red Zones and by fire hydrants is a daily occurrence. The crossing guards would at least deter some of this behavior.

gimli March 22, 2019 at 3:24 PM

Yes, put TWO of them on the crosswalks at Ayers Rd. /Turtle Creek near Newhall for CVHS. Or have the CVHS parents pay for it or volunteer.

Dorothy March 22, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Worries about traffic congestion are more important than making sure kids can cross safely with the dingbat drivers that are dropping off/picking up kids?

Silva March 22, 2019 at 4:35 PM

It was safer for kids all the years we had the guards. There were a lot more kids walking to school of course, and fewer cars in the drop off/pick up queues clogging the roads and the problems with that. I don’t very much care who pays. Since it all comes from the same source anyway, whoever could do a better job of service and oversight.

Bob March 22, 2019 at 11:26 PM

I’d be curious what the liability situation was with the last crossing guard program? Seems like a nightmare, especially with how well kids respond to authority these days.