UPDATE: Child Struck By Vehicle Near Mt. Diablo Elementary School In Clayton

March 22, 2019 9:00 am · 71 comments

A child was struck by a vehicle near Mt. Diablo Elementary School in Clayton just before 7:30 today.

The child, whose condition is currently unknown, was taken by helicopter to Children’s Hospital Oakland, according to witnesses on scene.

UPDATE: The child was awake and talking when paramedics arrived.

photo credit: Jiska Prins Loza

momto12 March 22, 2019 at 9:12 AM

Prayers for healing for this child and for the child’s family as well.

Nicole March 22, 2019 at 9:15 AM

I drove by this morning on my way to work (prior to this happening), however people need to SLOW down around here. People are FLYING coming off Marsh Creek Rd to Clayton Rd for their commute and they pay no regard to the Middle/Elementary Schools nearby. This happened by the Elementary Schools where 5yo-10yo KIDS are going to school. My heart aches for this child and their family. I hope they will be okay. Please allow yourself enough commute time in the morning so you do not need to RUSH and injure others/yourself when trying to get to work!

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 9:40 AM

@Nichole ANNNND I can guarantee those people racing to get to work, get to work then complain about being at work.

concord ygnacio March 22, 2019 at 1:45 PM

11 year olds go to elementary school too. I was 11 at this time of the year when in fifth grade.

ConcordAnon March 22, 2019 at 9:30 AM

I heard the sirens while laying bed this morning, then the helicopter. I assumed it must have been a crash on Kirker. This is way worse. I hope the poor child and their family is okay.

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 9:36 AM

There are MANY parents that pull into the bus stop OR a driveway OR some crazy parents PULL OVER ON CLAYTON ROAD and let there small children out of their car on this busy road. The clayton police need to watch this Just ONE DAY to see this VERY BAD behavior happening.
A note to those parents- DO NOT stop on Clayton Road to let your children out (yes this happens every day). If they don’t know they can drop their children off on Oak St. and their children can walk safely up the hill to the school.
Yes this pisses me off to see these parents STOP on Clayton Rd. to let their children out when there are MANY safer places to do that.

Gittyup March 22, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Hope this child will be alright, but I agree. Pick up and drop offs at schools near and on Pine Hollow Road is nothing but crazy. Someone came down our street going at least 45 mph yesterday. Everybody seems to be in such a big hurry.

Christopher Callaghan March 22, 2019 at 9:37 AM

It was just out front of my house.
I was holding his hand waiting for paramedics to arrive.

He was conscious and communicating with the paramedics when they air lifted him to the Children’s Hospital, their concern was exacerbating possible injury to his back.

That corner, Mitchel and Four Oaks, is a common crossing corner for kids and parents going to MDES.
mostly due to a pedestrian path at the end of the street that is used by many families in that neighborhood as a “short cut”

This is not the first incident I have seen on this corner, in the 15 years I have been here there have been at least 5 kids hit by cars.

The morning commute is impacted by all the large trucks rolling up to the quarry. It is very common for them to block that intersection as they, and parents, queue up for the stop sign at Pine Hollow and Mitchel.

Kids “dart” out from behind these trucks as they cross, and northbound traffic is often caught by surprise by someone popping out from behind a rig.

The no crossing signs get regularly hit, by sanitation and large delivery trucks, that have to back up Four Oaks Lane ( there is no room to turn big vehicles around at end of the street)

The last impact a few years ago crushed the sign on the south side of the Four Oaks and Mitchel corner, it has been missing since then.

I do not think it likely that everyone will agree to not cross there.
Kids will ignore that rule.
I believe it is necessary to implement a school crossing guard, and paint a cross walk at that location.

Carmen March 22, 2019 at 9:57 AM

Thank God you were there for him and could comfort him. My heart is broken for him and his family. I pray he makes a full recovery. For God’s sake slow down people. Our children are so precious and don’t deserve this!

Nicole March 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM

Thanks for holding his hand and I’m relieved to know he was “ok” and communicating. I too agree a crossing guard needs to be in place!

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 11:31 AM

5 kids in 15 years???????
That’s ONE every 5 years.
I’d say that % is pretty good.
THAT BEING SAID – People need to WATCH even more around schools and SLOW DOWN

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Sorry. You can not use the “impact” of the quarry trucks. The trucks have been here for 30+ years. They have always been part of the traffic and people need to know that.

T. Payne March 22, 2019 at 12:06 PM

That corner has always been a problem. I remember as a kid going to MDES in the 70’s. I would use the shortcut and then cross at Mitchel Canyon Rd and Four Oaks. There was a crosswalk there at that time though. At Pine Hollow and Mitchel Canyon they used to have a crossing guard there also to keep traffic in check for kids going to school. They should probably put the crosswalk back on the corner, maybe one of those lit up ones you see around town. It is a natural crossing area for kids walking to school from the Jeffery Ranch neighborhood especially with the short cut path at the end of 4 oaks.

Christopher Callaghan March 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM

MattfromConcord:
I will agree to clarify that statement.
I should have said that their large size impacts visibility, I was not implying that their presence on Mitchel Canyon is the root of the problem, nore that they are inconsiderate drivers.

Cristina March 22, 2019 at 12:22 PM

So glad you were there to hold his hand. Prayers for him and his family. With regards to the comments about crossing guards, the area this took place is not at a crosswalk. At the crosswalk, which is not even a block up, the school does have a crossing guard and she is wonderful and there every day, before and after. The school is so proactive trying to keep everyone safe.

Once again, prayers and positive thoughts for the child.

A Dad March 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Glad to hear it was not worse. Glad you were there to comfort him. A crosswalk and a crossing guard is a small price to pay to prevent a tragedy.

Gittyup March 22, 2019 at 2:33 PM

I’m so glad someone was there to comfort the child. Do you think a Stop sign at Mitchell and Four Oaks would be helpful? I had a mom and her child step right out in front of me one morning at that very spot. Scared the heck out of me. I didn’t know they crossed there because I’m not usually out at that intersection at that hour, but she didn’t even look my way as if she just expected traffic to stop for them.

The trucks are a concern only because they add to the traffic on Mitchell Canyon at that hour. To avoid the congestion created at the Pine Hollow and Mitchell Canyon four-way stop, people take a shortcut around it by turning off Pine Hollow before they get to it and racing up the street, back over to Mitchell, up Mitchell to Tiffin. and down Tiffin to the school. It isn’t a shortcut at all. It actually doubles or triples the distance traveled, but they don’t have to queue up at the four-way stop and wait their turn. The whole area for blocks around the school is crazy during those hours. For the safety of the children, something really needs to be done.

K.C. Gager March 22, 2019 at 9:49 AM

I hope we will see a bit more police presence at that time of the morning. There are some people driving like real A-holes. Hope the little pup is going to be ok…. Hats off to the life- fight pilot. He landed the helicopter in the play yard at the school. And he made it look easy.

Dan Anderson March 22, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Marsh Creek Road has only gotten worse. Especially where it goes from four to two lanes. It’s always a race to get ahead. It is a major commute corridor from and to East County. SLOW DOWN!

luvmycats March 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Why on earth would that school NOT have a crossing guard??? How stupid is that with all those big rigs???

KM March 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM

Crossing guards are VOLUNTEERS. Would you like to volunteer?

anthriel22 March 22, 2019 at 11:27 AM

@luvmycats – they do have a crossing guard at the 4 way stop sign stop. They do not have one up at the intersection just before.

Parent March 22, 2019 at 11:32 AM

They do have a crossing guard, one block up where there are crosswalks. The place where the accident happened does not have a crosswalk.

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 12:02 PM

There ARE crosswalks at EVERY intersection in front of that school. EVERY intersection leading to that school has a crosswalk (front and back). The intersection where the accident happened HAS a crosswalk. If you drive a car you MUST know how to drive around a school and what happens at a crosswalk.

Cristina March 22, 2019 at 12:27 PM

@mattfromconcord
The accident did not take place right in front of the school. There is not a crosswalk. There is one about one block up at Pine Hollow and Mitchell Canyon Road. The crossing guard is there every day, before and after school, rain or shine. Prayers for the child and his family. Thankful to all the people that helped when it happened.

Chris Chreston March 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM

This is so sad and frustrating. I live right on Mitchell canyon rd by four oaks, I posted about a month ago on Nextdoor about people speedin. Down Mitchell canyon rd. I wrote to the Clayton police department and they sent an empty police car to sit on the side of the road. The city needs to take action and start ticketing speeders. We need more signs and crosswalks as well. It’s time for the city to make a plan and make our roads safe!!!

Anthriel22 March 22, 2019 at 11:27 AM

I vote for Speedbumps. people ignore signs all the time. 🙁

IsThisReallyConcord March 22, 2019 at 10:12 AM

This is horrible. I am so thankful someone was there to hold that child’s hand. But another thing that comes to mind is how much more traffic cuts through our neighborhood (Crystyl Ranch) from Clayton these past few years. Apparently the Waze app suggests the route to bypass traffic lights at the intersections at Clayton/Ygnacio, Alberta/Ygnacio, and Ayers/Ygnacio. I wonder how much of that traffic makes the cut to Pine Hollow at Mitchell Canyon, because all of our extra traffic flies up Rolling Woods from Pine Hollow… Just a lot of folks trying to get places, but can you imagine getting that phone call? Or being that driver? Hope everyone takes everything a little slower today.

L March 22, 2019 at 10:13 AM

Parents dropping off their kids in that court and leaving them to cross Mitchell canyon has been an issue for years.
Parents leave 10 minutes earlier and drop your child at school

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 12:09 PM

I was dropped off when I went there MANY years ago and I dropped off my child there and was never hit by a car. Dropping off children has NOTHING to do with people driving poorly.

Clayton Mom March 22, 2019 at 10:21 AM

@L a child was injured so please stop judging when you know little about the situation. This child was walking to school with his mother and was hit. Nobody dropped him off.

L March 22, 2019 at 2:01 PM

Where does it say the child was with a parent? Whether he was or wasn’t there is no stop sign or cross walk at four oaks.
Speeding cars is another issue. There is a crosswalk one block up, that’s what its there for.
Prayers to the child for a quick recovery.

MoJo March 22, 2019 at 10:44 AM

I hope and pray this child makes a full recovery. The entire area around all the neighborhood schools is like a hive. Too many cars and too many people zipping around. Possible solutions?
1. Ban the gravel trucks between 7:15am and 8am.
2. Create or find a staging area where parents can park, drop off and then bus or shuttle the children to the school. Maybe the large parking lot at the church would allow this.
3. Ban kids from walking to this school without a parent or guardian.
4. Crossing guards
5. Speed bumps or other traffic calming measures to slow traffic especially on Marsh Creek Road in front of the middle school. Maybe a very long stop light just prior to Morgan Territory Road would limit the East County Commuters that haul ass through town. Better yet, make Marsh creek a toll road between Deer Valley and Morgan Territory and issue permits for local residents only.
6. Change the hours of school to before or after heavy commute times.
7. Have the Police Department budget for extra officers in the morning and write a butt load of tickets until people slow down.
8. Do nothing and expect more accidents.

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 12:13 PM

@mojo – the gravel trucks have been traveling that road for more then 30 years. That is long enough that it is WELL KNOWN that they are there. If a person doe not know that they are there that’s on them. And no I do not work for them or have any stake in that company. Just being realistic about them having been there for 30+ years.

David S Ogden March 22, 2019 at 1:45 PM

I’m amazed at how many people living around there misspelled Mitchell . And a score of people complaining and whining. Then along comes MoJo with 8 good ideas on solving this problem. MoJo, I salute you!

Gittyup March 22, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Yes, the quarry has been there since the 1950s, but the area has grown, the school has been enlarged, the population has increased, and the quarry has ramped up production in the intervening years. It does seem reasonable for the quarry to limit trucks until after 8 am just to alleviate some of the congestion on at the four-way stop and on Mitchell Canyon at that hour.

Nicola March 22, 2019 at 11:09 AM

There is a crossing guard just slightly further up. She had me back up so
A quarry truck could turn onto pine hollow instead of going down Mitchel canyon onto Clayton rd

Mitchell Canyon Mom March 22, 2019 at 11:24 AM

I live in Mitchell Canyon and people fly down our street. I drove by this morning not knowing what had happened. I simply saw two police cars on the side of the street. My dog was hit two months ago. It’s time for police presence in the AM, and speed bumps, we already have a crossing guard who is excellent. People are just honestly careless. I pray that this child recovers. My heart goes out to him and his family. People need to stop accusing parents and try to find solutions to fixing the problem! I plan on being at the next Clayton meeting to make a difference.

Laura March 22, 2019 at 1:24 PM

I am going to try to go to the next meeting too!!! I believe it is on April 2nd??? I already sent a letter to the city council.

The only thing I think will work is speed bumps. My vote is to put those in.

Bancroft mom March 22, 2019 at 11:29 AM

Slow the F down!!! Hope this poor child is ok!

Quarrytroubles March 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Is it just me or do we need to re-evaluate the quarry and what it continues to do to our town? It’s impact is far reaching from large trucks to environmental damages to our water table and air quality. Let’s get the quarry shut down!!

buck March 22, 2019 at 4:35 PM

It is just you, the tax revenue from the quarry is something the city of Clayton desperately needs to support itself this incident had nothing to do with a quarry truck sounds like you have your own agenda and could really care less about the safety of the children.

Gittyup March 22, 2019 at 8:37 PM

The quarry poses environmental concerns for the area in addition to the traffic and noise it creates In the 1950s when the area was still largely rural it was a different story. The area is more populous, Cemex is hauling more loads in bigger trucks, and there is more traffic on Mitchell Canyon with people using Pine Hollow to get to Ygnacio Valley Road.

Whether Clayton needs the revenue or not, conditions surrounding the existence of a quarry in a residential area requires review when it becomes problematic. People have actually been calling for the closure of that quarry for as long as I can remember, and every year that goes by the list of reasons why grows longer. There are legitimate concerns regarding its existence at this location.

Mom if former MDE KIDS March 22, 2019 at 10:34 PM

This has nothing to do with the quarry.

Dgig March 22, 2019 at 12:07 PM

Thank you so very much,Mr.Christopher Callahan for doing the right thing and being there for this child. May god bless you the child and families that know him.

LocalGirl March 22, 2019 at 12:10 PM

It’s getting ridiculous! On my drive home yesterday, I saw a car going down Marsh Creek (near Peacock Creek) going at least 80 MPH. I live near the Diablo View Middle School and the parents drive horribly fast and park on neighborhood streets (and block driveways) just so they don’t have to drive in to any pick-up line. My commute takes me down Clayton Road in the morning and most of the trucks leaving the quarry are going way over the speed limit, and cut people off at Ayers … so dangerous. I really think a stronger police presence is needed.

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 12:19 PM

I totally agree that the police CAN be there in the morning. They can rotate between the schools in clayton. This is not a big city with a huge crime problem. Having an officer sit in there car for 20 minutes before school starts will cost the city ZERO as Clayton officers sit in their car ALL THE TIME checking for speeders.

WhoDat Girl March 22, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Prayers for this child and their family. Good Lord that is a phone call NO parent ever wants to receive 💔

For the parents whose children attend MDES: I think y’all should
Consider getting more crossing guards at the key drop off points for these little ones. Don’t leave it up to the school to do it; set up a rotating volunteer program. Ayers did it, MDES can too.

CaliCole March 22, 2019 at 12:34 PM

I walk this street everyday and have even called Clayton PD about how people are driving on it. One time a Prius jumped the curb into the dirt where people walk to get around a semi truck it was passing because it was too impatient to drive a bit slower behind it.

Mitchell Canyon Mom March 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM

This poor child has an amazing mother. He lives within walking distance to the school. His family dedicates their lives to the soccer community in Clayton. The person who hit him I heard was a novice driver who will need to live with her actions for life. I pray this amazing child who is also a phenomenal athlete recovers and is safe. Ms. Lynn the crossing guard was present and is always at the corner. It was raining and people are careless in the rain. I will make sure that our children are safe here in Clayton! This will not happen again. A child was hit by trucks many years ago that’s why we have a crossing guard. People need to slow down NOW. Leave his poor mother out of it and focus on solutions.

Hubbywifeyplus4 March 22, 2019 at 1:21 PM

I agree!!! This family deserves love understanding and compassion more then anything. Prayers sent to the family and community

Warbirds45 March 22, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Where’s Clayton Police Department?
One of Mayberry’s finest should be on patrol every day.
Pine Hollow Road should have Officers posted there as well, set a Standard for that area.
The Police presents would nice in the morning, and in the Afternoon.

Clayton Native March 22, 2019 at 1:45 PM

what is a police “present”? Although it sounds quite nice, I’d prefer their presence instead.

CalOldBlue March 22, 2019 at 2:38 PM

From the current Clayton City budget (available online for those who want to check my figures).

The police department accounts for around half the total budget.

This funds 11 enforcement staff, including the chief.

That leaves 10 officers for patrol.

They generally work 10 hour shifts, four days a week, so you have 400 police-hours of coverage per week.

There are 168 hours in each week, so that averages 2.4 police on active duty every hour of the week, if you split them evenly… you won’t so we can assume 2-3 police available during daylight hours during the week, and 1-2 at night/weekends.

You have at best 3 cops available to cover a city of 12,000 people, spread across 4 square miles, with at least one elementary school and one middle school.

What is YOUR deployment plan?

From the city budget:

Police Department
Department 06
Department Description
The Clayton Police Department has a present authorized strength of 11 full-time sworn members (includes the Chief), 2 civilians, and active Police Reserve, VIPS, CERT, and Cadet programs.
The Department is a generalist law enforcement agency with duties
that include all aspects of local law enforcement. Sworn positions currently work on a 4-10/3-12 plan and may be assigned to specialized assignments such as field training officer, traffic accident investigator, bicycle patrol, and motorcycle patrol.
The Department’s employees take pride in their jobs and the community they serve and strive to perform their duties in a professional but sensitive, friendly, and positive manner.
It subscribes to a community-oriented policing philosophy.

MattfromConcord March 22, 2019 at 10:29 PM

@Caloldblue good job for checking stats. If you (meaning a person) live IN Clayton, everyone knows there’s only 2-3 officers on at a time. If you read the Clayton police log they have 10-15 arrests a month. You can bet ON AVERAGE, NOTHING is happening at 8:00am I’m the morning. If they get a call then they can drive the 3 minutes it will take to get there. But for a small city like Clayton the police CAN sit by a school once and awhile and see how bad adults act/drive around then.

concord ygnacio March 22, 2019 at 1:46 PM

There is no reason kids should be going to school this early, during rush hour. When I was in elementary school, it started at 9 AM.

Clayton Resident March 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM

It is our instinct when we are concerned especially about a child, for us to look for one culprit or one solution.

Currently all we seem to know if that a vehicle struck him and he’s been flown to the hospital.
We do not know someone was speeding, we do not know there wasn’t a police presence there (for those not familiar the intersection is a favorite local for Clayton PD to sit and ticket people).
No one on this thread (except maybe the kind person who held the boys hand) has any knowledge from the scene, yet so far we seem sure it was a speeder, likely from the quarry, a parent who kicked their kid out of the car, or someone who is allowed to be lawless by our horrible police depart (BTW we are the 3rd safest place in Cali to live – D%mned you Clayton PD for not getting us to #1) .
Is it possible that a great kid excited going to school was struck by a perfectly nice and responsible driver who looked but just didn’t see him?
Hug your kids and pray that child and driver are not scarred for life!

Ms P March 22, 2019 at 2:19 PM

Absolutely, the police need to be all along Pine Hollow Rd and Mitchell every morning and afternoon.

Rhonda March 22, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Jis March 22, 2019 at 3:07 PM

I live on Mitchell Canyon and everyone speeds by on this street. I just watched a quarry truck fly towards Clayton rd like he was on the freeway. I seriously want to put out a sign on the street that says “slow the **** down.” It’s ridiculous. I wish the quarry trucks would be regulated more, or ticketed. I see it ALL the time.

buck March 22, 2019 at 8:15 PM

@Jis the quarry strictly monitors and enforces truck traffic on Mitchel Canyon rd.Speeding trucks or driving in an unsafe manner get 1 warning and is expelled from the quarry for that day a second offense by the same driver is a permanent ban from ever entering the quarry again. Now you know, report your complaint to the plant manager along with the description of the truck and truck number .

Student March 22, 2019 at 3:09 PM

I am a 5th grader from MDE and the child who got hit is a VERY VERY good friend of mine and when my friends and I heard the news we all started crying. Please pray for him 🙏 and people need to slow down! Thank god he is getting better!

Student 01 March 22, 2019 at 3:11 PM

I am a 5th grade student from Mdes and I am also a friend of his. When me and my friends heard we all started crying. Thank god he is ok and talking we were all worried for him. People need to slow down on the road!

John Rubiales March 22, 2019 at 3:34 PM

First things first. The child’s mother was not with him at the time he was hit. I ACTUALLY witnessed the boy being hit and was the first person out of my vehicle to help him. Thanks to Chris who was there to provide a blanket and comfort to him. I had to yell at other people to give us a hand. I had to run back to my vehicle to call 911. What is wrong with you people. I am saddened at the fact that with all of the parents around just a few of us jumped out to lend a hand. God forbid, it was any of your children. Get off your butts people. I would hope that if it had been one of my daughters, who also attended MDE, someone would have helped them. I am still shaken after witnessesing this today. Quit pointing fingers, this was an accident that could have been a lot worse. BTW, police presence is there on that corner. They can’t be there every minute, but most mornings a patrol car is on that corner.

John Rubiales March 22, 2019 at 3:36 PM

To add a little more, the driver was NOT speeding. She was going the speed limit!!!

Old Timer March 22, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Hope the kid will be alright. Parents are the problem. Parents need to SLOW DOWN & STOP BLOCKING residents of Tiffin Drive, Pine Hollow Road & Pine Hollow Court every morning & afternoon. Total traffic chaos for us residents.

BTW: Making the quarry the “bad guy” is complete baloney. The quarry on Mitchell Canyon Road has been in operation for MORE THAN 72 YEARS.

Mitchell Canyon Mom March 22, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Thanks Chris Callaghan for helping this child in need! You are a hero. I’ll be at the April 2nd meeting and I encourage everyone else to do the same!

Duncan March 22, 2019 at 5:33 PM

I would first like to thank John and Chris for helping the child. It gives me hope that there are still decent and caring people in this world who are not caught up living in there own world. Whether or not the person was speeding (which most of the parents are who drive up my street, Panadero Way) taking their children to school, it’s a fact that the area is congested with kids and cars. The cars being driven by parents who don’t care about anything but getting their kid to school, even if that means double parking in the middle of the street or blocking the intersection, all the while children are trying to get to school. Even though my children are grown up now,I still care about the other children and neighbors. I called the police with my concerns, which nothing has changed. I’m glad to hear the child will be alright, and hopefully this was an eye opener, which I unfortunately knew was coming. I just hope we don’t have short memories.

Kat March 22, 2019 at 9:25 PM

I don’t know if my comment matters
I live off Bailey near Springwood, our area has become a pass through to Clayton Road and Treat as well as Glacier. Wax and zhoogke sends all these cars through neighbor hoods and people are speeding. So dangerous. There is an elementary school on Thornwood and people do not care. Selfish drivers. I’m beginning to think I no longer want to drive.
Stay safe. And by the way stay out of our neighborhood

Jake March 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM

Sadly I know this boy.
We go to the same school and soon later I found out he was hit:(
❤️❤️😭😭

Mom if former MDE KIDS March 22, 2019 at 10:23 PM

I drive this route EVERYDAY and I have been scared so many times by kids….accompanied by parents… cross through traffic on foot, bike, scooter where there is not a cross walk. The traffic heading up Mitchell Canyon is stopped so they cross ANYWHERE through the line of traffic. But the traffic flow down Mitchell Canyon is not backed up so you should never cross unless at a crosswalk. I drive very carefully through this very small stretch because the pedestrians are not being careful. They need to walk the 1/2 block up and cross where there is a crossing guard. So tragic but also glad he is okay and maybe a good reminder to others. There is no need to go overboard regarding regulations and the quarry trucks when all you need to do is use the Crosswalks. I saw exactly where this happened on my way to work today and was very upset but thankful to hear the boy should be okay.