Woman Shot, Injured While Riding In Car On I-580

March 17, 2019 22:14 pm · 29 comments

A passenger in a car in Interstate Highway 580 was shot and injured Sunday evening in the second freeway shooting in the East Bay in two days, the California Highway Patrol said.

The 24-year-old woman was riding in a Honda Accord as it headed east on I-580 near the Isabel Avenue (Highway 84) interchange about 5:45 p.m. when she was hit in the leg by one bullet, said CHP Officer Tyler Hahn.

The Accord continued east about four miles to Vasco Road, where the driver stopped to call the CHP, Hahn said. The CHP called paramedics, who took the woman to Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley.

Hahn described the woman’s injuries as non-life-threatening.

Hahn said there was no specific description of a suspect vehicle provided.

Sunday’s shooting happened about 28 hours after an Antioch woman died in a solo vehicle accident on eastbound Highway 4 near the Willow Pass Road interchange in North Concord. Bullet holes were discovered in the woman’s driver’s-side door after the crash.

Destinee Shaharisha-Jenae Hillery, 25, of Antioch was pronounced dead at the scene Saturday.

The CHP is seeking suspects in both cases. Hahn said it isn’t known whether the two shootings are related in any way.

Miss the Liner Notes March 17, 2019 at 10:20 PM

Oh No, I hope we don’t have a crazy sniper out there.

ZZ March 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM

Both lone females in Honda Accords. Hope it’s just coincidence…

ConcordMike March 18, 2019 at 8:58 AM

Not lone females. The second one was a passenger. Hence, someone else was driving. Therefore, not alone. Come back tomorrow and take the quiz over again.

Bay Point March 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM

I hope she wasn’t alone seeing as she was the passenger

ZZ March 18, 2019 at 11:32 AM

Ooops ok @concordmike and @baypoint I stand corrected, I missed the word passenger. Still, two women in Honda Accords are shot at. Very scary.

Rollo Tomasi March 18, 2019 at 4:04 PM

The Accords might have been the target, not the women.

anon March 18, 2019 at 9:37 AM

“Antioch woman died in a solo vehicle accident on eastbound Highway 4 near the Willow Pass Road interchange in North Concord”

I have read this headline for the 3rd time over the past two years. This is starting to look like serial doing to me.

Ricardoh March 18, 2019 at 9:54 AM

Gangs

Rich March 18, 2019 at 10:35 AM

First Hwy 4 in Concord, then Hwy 80 near Roseville, then 580 in Livermore on the same weekend… The roadside cameras need to be examined

Ricardus March 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM

Not saying this was the cause or reason, but this is another reason not to have road rage these days. I see so many angry and impatient drivers. You never know which one might have a loaded weapon.

Mr. Pink March 18, 2019 at 12:04 PM

So I’ve seen reference to Sunday’s shooting a few times and each time it says “solo vehicle accident” and that “Bullet holes were discovered in the woman’s driver’s-side door after the crash.” No where does it indicate that the woman was actually shot and that she died as a result of those wounds or if she died because she crashed. Please clarify.

Bob Foo March 18, 2019 at 1:55 PM

That information is probably still being processed. Official coroner’s report and all that.

ConcordMike March 18, 2019 at 2:09 PM

My thoughts as well. Perhaps the bullet holes were already there. They didn’t clarify that either.
Either way, Hwy 4 has become an alleyway for thugs driving high priced vehicles without license plates exceeding 90 mph on an hourly rate. I was glad to see “some” stepped up enforcement a few weeks ago. But that’s not enough. We need to hire more CHP to fill the gaps when they are pulled for accidents and other calls for service. Dedicated speed enforcement teams.

Tsa March 18, 2019 at 2:13 PM

California gun control at work. Oh wait, it only impacts law abiding gun owners…

Kentucky Derby March 18, 2019 at 4:17 PM

I think both women were shot, and the first thing I think of is road rage. Unless someone is shooting randomly, which is even scarier.

As far as the woman on Saturday, if you read the article, being shot at could be the reason she crashed. It was in broad daylight, and she was 25 years old. Crashing into the guard rail, crossing eastbound lanes. Bullet holes in the door.

Come on people – two plus two equals four.

Diana Montooth March 18, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Interesting that a comment was made about road rage. Human kindness and courtesy is gone, just look at the rude, sarcastic comments made on this, and many, claycord threads. Would you treat people in person the way you comment to them here? If so, I hope I never meet you. Why is it necessary to be mean? Perhaps if everyone were more kind, there would be less violence over nothing.

RJ March 18, 2019 at 5:34 PM

Diana – TOTALLY agree with you. Funny because I have been reading Claycord for years – the same people over and over are nothing but nasty, negative, bitter people. It’s gotten to the point where most times I have stopped reading the comments here because it is so negative. I feel sorry for these people and find it ironic that they often are the ones that complain how common courtesy is gone and they are also spewing negativity to others at the same time. Each of us needs to take accountability for our behavior – if each of us were a little kinder this world would be a much nicer place.

Nunya March 18, 2019 at 9:20 PM

i bet the children of you feel good hipies are the ones who go 100 mph swerving through traffic. liberals believe in nothing, their children even less.

Gittyup March 19, 2019 at 4:03 AM

Some of you have very little “exposure” to the internet, apparently. Claycord is tame by comparison to the comments on some sites.

Kentucky Derby March 18, 2019 at 7:44 PM

According to the news, the shooting on Saturday near Willow Pass was a gang related dispute. The shooting near 580 was road rage.

That’s not being rude… it’s the truth. Perhaps you should thicken your skin. Or maybe just read the articles, and ignore the comments. They’re not for everybody, and freedom of speech will always be something we’re all entitled to.

You should be angry at people engaging in gang related activity or road rage. It puts all of us at risk. I prefer to make it home safely – thank you.

Original G March 18, 2019 at 8:44 PM

They install cameras and shot spotter technology and did shooting take place in an area not covered ? ? ?

Susan I. March 18, 2019 at 10:56 PM

KD where are they reporting the HWY 4 shooting is gang related? I haven’t seen that reported any place. Maybe I missed it? Thanks in advance for the link.

Kentucky Derby March 19, 2019 at 8:02 AM

I’m not sure if we’re allowed to link other news sources on this site, but it’s a very popular and old newspaper in SF. You can google it, and read story yourself. It was also on the news. I read it online first.

Diana Montooth March 19, 2019 at 12:03 AM

Kentucky derby. Honestly I try to avoid the comments on claycord. As one who drives these roads, i came here to seek further info. Yes, I’ve been called thin skinned before. I prefer to think of it as empathy, compassion and courtesy. I’m curious why you assumed my comment was based on your comment? I also find it interesting that those making the rude, sarcastic or “making everything about politics” commenters, on so many claycord posts, don’t use their real name. I’m not ashamed of my comment. You do have free speech. Why is every commenter hiding behind a fake name? My condolences to those who’ve lost someone they treasured. Far too young.

Kentucky Derby March 19, 2019 at 8:50 AM

Diana – I respect your empathy for the victim. Personally, if it’s road rage or gang related – my empathy is for innocent victims who might die due to the irresponsible acts – like shooting.

Why do I think your comment was directed at me? Well, you mentioned road rage, and I was the second person on this thread to mention road rage. Were you referring to the other person only? Please.

As one who drives these roads myself, I’m angered that there are road rage and gang related shootings on the freeways that could kill my family and friends.

As far as using your real name, security experts advise you not to. Especially women. Even if all your comments are kind, there are stalkers, people with mental health issues, etc. that read these comments. People get targeted on the internet, and that’s why people use screen names.

You’re judging others. Isn’t that being rude?

Gittyup March 19, 2019 at 4:19 AM

Studies in the1960s showed that aggression in mice surfaced with overcrowding. This certainly wasn’t a problem when the area was rural.

ZZ March 19, 2019 at 9:10 AM

And it’s just going to get worse and worse with all the building they are pushing..

Sandy G March 19, 2019 at 6:22 AM

Why did the driver wait so long/drive so far before getting help?
I’d be ticked off if at the driver ( whom I assume would be a friend) didn’t take me straight to hospital.

Dianamontooth March 19, 2019 at 1:23 PM

Ninja, if your comment about children was directed at me. My kids GPA’ s are 4.2 and 4.5. Headed to college, working, doing volunteer work as well. Not even a parking ticket between them. Just because someone is caring doesn’t mean they don’t believe in anything. Yes, I’m exposed to rude comments on the internet too. Lots of keyboard warriors out there. Simply suggesting you question wether youj would treat someone on person the way you comment online clearly offended some of you. I apologize. Go ahead and belittle each other if that’s what makes you happy.