Claycord – Talk About Whatever

March 15, 2019 19:10 pm · 62 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

wave March 15, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Wave first!!

Cowellian March 15, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Cowellian’s First

Shasta Daisy March 15, 2019 at 7:15 PM

Gorgeous afternoon for a hike!
Vetch is blooming, frogs are singing and male turkeys are showing off.
Life is good.

Peace. Be thankful.

KAD March 15, 2019 at 7:26 PM

6th?

WC Resident March 15, 2019 at 8:32 PM

Happy new century. I thought this week would be Claycord’s 100th Talk About Whatever but I counted and it’s the 101st!

Original G March 15, 2019 at 8:39 PM

Years and years ago when Grandson’s were old enough for those things called a scooter, more like a skate board with a handle, just had to put batteries and a motor on one.

Here is irrefutable video proof of what can happen in retirement if there is a lack of adult supervision.

Bumper sticker,
Retirement . . . larger allowance and still NO Adult supervision

The Fractionator March 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM

Love the Bumper Sticker, got a good laugh reading it!

Dorothy March 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM

Lovely day and tomorrow should as nice if not a bit better even.

Book report: The Feed, Nick Clark Windo, 2018. An end of the world as we know, the future as it could be, and back to a remade past. The feed is an implant that connects everyone. It’s media/facebook/telepathy plus. When it goes down people are lost without it constant on telling everything from the time of day to a mental talk with others. Like all doomsday stories it almost has a bearable ending when you are let to believe that humanity will survive. I don’t recommend it and it will be added to the donation collection

Mary Fouts March 15, 2019 at 10:14 PM

Dorothy – Thanks for the report. I personally do not enjoy either sci-fi genre or doomsday-type genre in books.

Concordejet March 15, 2019 at 8:57 PM

Don’t cut in line

Wowman March 15, 2019 at 10:12 PM

What does rent and potheads have in common? Being high. Lol wow!

Jack's Fan March 15, 2019 at 10:34 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Walnut Creek altered the traffic light timing on eastbound Ygnacio recently? Now traffic is jammed between Bancroft/Walnut or Lennon Lane and Oak Grove but the hill up to Lime Ridge is virtually clear.

jaydub March 16, 2019 at 12:24 AM

I agree, thought I was in for a long ride back to Clayton @535pm Thursday when traffic was backed up around Lennon and solid between each light, after passing Oakgrove it was smooth sailing all the way to cowell,and that only took one light cycle to get through! I think it might have saved me sometime,not having to have the traffic going up the hill from Oakgrove to Cowell

Gittyup March 16, 2019 at 8:01 AM

It could be an attempt to stimulate impulse shopping at the new shopping center at Oak Grove. Like, “I’m stuck here in traffic, why don’t I stop and get some milk, or $200 worth of groceries.” Or, “Better stop and get some pet food on the way home, and $20 worth of dog toys.” Or, “Oh, yeah, Fish and Chips for dinner.” Or, “Oh look, there’s a new shopping center over there.”

Silva March 16, 2019 at 4:26 PM

Throughout the 70s and most of the 80s you had to stop for pert near every light on YVR through all of Walnut Creek. It regularly took 30 minutes driving from Berkeley or Oakland to the YVR off ramp, then another 30 to 40 minutes to get to Claycord. Treat wasn’t any better, either. The best explaination I could come up with was that they must’ve been trying to discourage anyone from using those streets to get to Concord.

Tillamookcheddar March 20, 2019 at 6:20 PM

You should contact the city’s traffic engineer and ask what’s up.

ClayDen March 15, 2019 at 11:15 PM

I noticed it going west this morning.

Jojo Potato March 16, 2019 at 10:04 AM

WCs traffic engineer retired last year. I wonder if someone new is changing things. Like the new guy has to play with the levers just to see what they do. Establish himself if you will. I understand that all the traffic lights are centrally controlled. I’d like to get into that room sometime!

Elisa Fischer March 15, 2019 at 11:27 PM

I work at a small public charter school in Oakland where the student body contains a high population of underprivileged and special needs students. There is no instrumental music program and I would love to start one. However, most of the kids would not have the money to participate. I am hoping I might find some individuals who would be generous enough to give the gift of music to a child. Any and all makes and types would be welcome as long as they are in still in playing condition.

Bitterman March 16, 2019 at 9:20 AM

What’s with the bomber plain??

Jojo Potato March 16, 2019 at 10:00 AM
Anon-2-U March 16, 2019 at 10:15 AM

We have been hearing it all day yesterday as well. Checked here, and there was no discussion or info about it, and thought maybe it was just around yesterday. Been hearing it this morning also, came here to find info, and still nothing. What gives Mayor?

The Fearless Spectator March 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM

That is a Vintage 1928 Ford Tri-Motor airplane, the first all metal passenger aircraft. You can take a ride on it out of Buchanan Field. We really enjoyed it, and the price is reasonable. I recommend it!

Mary Fouts March 16, 2019 at 2:07 PM

The plane’s flight path is directly over my home. It’s been making trips since yesterday morning, flying very low. As soon as I heard it yesterday, I remembered the prior Whatever post (maybe from Kirkland?) about the Ford plane coming to Buchanan. The plane’s sound is so memorable, and seeing it fly is a wonderful sight.

Justifiable Languor March 20, 2019 at 7:01 AM

Look up in the sky. It’s a bird…no, it’s a PLANE.

Cellophane March 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Did anyone else notice that the Infiniti dealership closed?

The web site says they had been leasing the land, which went up for sale and they decided not to purchase.

I can imagine this area without an Infiniti dealership.

I’ll bet someone buys the franchise and opens a car store somewhere in Claycord.

Just trying to help March 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM

So it appears from comments made by the embezzler from city has made a statement that it’s all just a big misunderstanding.?I believe she and her city employee boyfriend from sewer dept are both involved and he reaped the rewards as well!! Detective Nick I hope your reading this…

Cellophane March 16, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Bitterman

If you seeing the low flying and load aircraft flying paying passengers for a tour, that’s not a bomber.

That’s a Ford Trimotor.

A popular passenger airplane from the 1830s.

Dr. Jellyfinger March 16, 2019 at 2:16 PM

But wasn’t it also used as a bomber during the Civil War?

Sideline March 16, 2019 at 5:03 PM

You might want to double check the dates for this airplane….not 1830, but actually 1925 -1933

Gittyup March 16, 2019 at 7:10 PM

If I’m not mistaken, wasn’t it credited with the extinction of the Pterodactyl?

Jojo Potato March 17, 2019 at 12:04 PM

The first few days were one thing but today (Sunday) after about 10 round trips over my house, I’ve had enough. At least go dump your noise bombs somewhere else for a while. Thanks.

Hmmm March 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Witnessed a huge crowd of high schoolers outside of Round Table Pizza yesterday afternoon, at Kirker Pass and Clayton road, around 3:20. Two young men tlstartimg throwing punches, one of them ended up being thrown on the ground. So many kids holding their cell phones up in the air, recording the incident. Scary stuff!
Yes, I did call it in!

Bob March 16, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Wonder how much longer before St. Patrick’s Day will be deemed a racist holiday?

Gittyup March 16, 2019 at 7:14 PM

Over my dead body!

Justifiable Languor March 17, 2019 at 5:57 AM

Always after me lucky charms.

To think that the Irish were once disparaged and double that for their religion. How on earth did the finally blend in? The Italians and Jews had the same problem. I don’t remember being miss treated by any of those groups.

Caution March 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM

CHP Traffic Incident Information Page

01785 2:24 PM Fatality Sr4 E / Port Chicago Hwy Ofr EB 4 ON PORT CHICAGO OFR Contra Costa

Shasta Daisy March 17, 2019 at 7:32 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
I have a pin that says:
“Kiss Me, I’m Irish.”

Peace. Don’t forget to wear green and smile.
It’s a beautiful morning.

Cowellian March 17, 2019 at 8:10 AM

Same to you Shasta! You’re invited to our St Patrick’s Day dinner if you’re in the neighborhood.

City Girl March 17, 2019 at 2:44 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a co-ed adult kickball league in Concord, WC or PH?

Mary Fouts March 17, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Costco Fresh Roma Tomatoes – if any of you have tried them, did they meet your expectations? My pantry is out of my quart home canned zesty chopped tomatoes, so I need to get a dozen quarts canned. I’ve not had the best experience with Costco produce, and am hesitant to use their tomatoes in my canning. Cheaper than Diablo Foods, but concerned about quality. Thanks!

Justifiable Languor March 20, 2019 at 6:58 AM

I use my nose to decipher ripeness of fruits. Granted, it is no guarantee of flavor. On the whole, winter tomatoes are not flavorful, but that could change. Also, Mexican grown food is no guarantee. I wait until Brentwood has them at the stands in the summer. I am surprised you don’t grow them yourself.

This is not as helpful as I would like.

Mary Fouts March 20, 2019 at 9:47 PM

@Justifiable Languor – I do grow many of our vegetables and fresh herbs year round. However, I’ve had major issues in the past few years with blossom rot on tomatoes that made them not edible. This includes the Italian Roma tomatoes I grew from seed. Both time and garden area are money. Don’t want to waste either.

Justifiable Languor March 21, 2019 at 7:55 AM

I had a soil tester at one time. Fun.
This may interest you:

Limestone or gypsum supply your garden soil with calcium. If your soil is acidic, adding limestone helps boost most vegetable crops by increasing alkalinity. For example, if your soil pH is below 5.5, add 2 to 3 pounds of dolomitic lime per 100 square feet to raise the pH.

The calcium in bone meal can also help prevent common problems in vegetables such as blossom-end rot in crops like tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Bone meal can be used as one part of a balanced organic fertilizer program for bulbs, roses and other plants that benefit from a slow-release form of phosphorus.

Silva March 21, 2019 at 1:32 PM

I gave up growing tomatos in Claycord. Too much wilt. Ground up eggshells help with blossom rot too.

Mary Fouts March 21, 2019 at 2:23 PM

@Justifiable Languor and @Silva – Thanks for the info! We do use a lot of eggs, and all shells go into my compost that I use in gardening. I’m going to going to go ahead and put out a few Romas this year and try amending the soil with bone meal in addition to my home compost. Perhaps bone meal will be the ticket. Thanks again.

Original G March 18, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Can not claim any credit for thinking this one up, came from a person who spent six years getting an Electrical Engineering degree.

Wireless mouse, remove battery cover, remove batteries, insert M&Ms, replace battery cover.

amieollie March 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM

And why would you want to do this?

Original G March 18, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Just because people hired to be managers at my work are over the age of 21 doesn’t mean they are mature. Personally have better work things to do, they on the other hand have way too much free time.

Anonymous March 19, 2019 at 7:55 PM

Any truth to the rumor about a city employee using a contractors cabin at Tahoe for free?

See above

Shasta Daisy March 20, 2019 at 8:44 AM

Happy Spring!!!
My FAVORITE season.

Peace and enjoy the beauty of spring wildflowers.

Silva March 20, 2019 at 10:56 AM

Happy Spring, Shasta Daisy. It’s soo beautiful outside!🐦🌈🍀☮

Kirkwood March 20, 2019 at 6:23 PM

Saw today, a statement by The President in a room, and behind him was a bronze sculpture of a buffalo fighting off a pack of wolves. The art piece looked to be several feet long and a few feet high.

Silva March 20, 2019 at 7:52 PM

That sounds nice!

Kirkwood March 21, 2019 at 10:12 AM

I love artworks that depict old west themes.

Silva March 21, 2019 at 1:39 PM

That one sounds amazing.

Mary Fouts March 21, 2019 at 2:36 PM

Kirkwood – My husband Jim and I both admire old west antiques and themed artwork. You might find this interesting – the California Historical Society in SF has 2 significant photography exhibits that run through Sept, highlighting the history of building railroad tracks in California, and the 150th anniversary of the golden spike in Utah. We plan to see it.

Kirkwood March 21, 2019 at 5:36 PM

I’m not a photography buff but have been a train fan all my life. Have spent many hours at the railroad museum in Sacramento and other operating rail museums.
Thanks for the tip.

Homelessness Question March 21, 2019 at 9:12 AM

Maybe Claycord can put this question on their “Water Cooler” some day.

How would you solve homelessness in California, United States or the world?

Who would you contact if you had an idea to solve the homeless situation?

I have my ideas but I’ll wait for the “Water Cooler” to ask the question.

Rick March 22, 2019 at 1:32 PM

It’s Spring. Just another bit of help for your yard. Lewis (925)812-4956 does beautiful yard work….check it out, even now! 1802 Landana Drive front Yard and, if you wish, knock on our door to see the backyard. It’s absolutely beautifully cared for…lawn, bushes in the shape of hearts. Worth seeing. We are here for about 45 years and will never leave primarily because we love our yard.
Re Railroad post..I was once something of a mascot in the late 40s and early 50s for the New York,New Haven line. My grandfather was a station agent and the engineers, porters, etc dressed me in an engineer outfit and I was actually able to ride on the engine, pull the horn, nap in the cabose, travel between Conn and Grand Central in NY. I love old trains. Big part of my childhood. It was like being in the Polar Express movie.

Bella March 22, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Does anyone have an update or specifics on if or when Panera Bread may move into building across from Round Table Pizza in Clayton Valley Shopping Center? I know it was indicated re-modeling had to be done. See nothing happening. Thanks..

KAD March 22, 2019 at 5:57 PM