Claycord – Talk About Whatever

March 8, 2019 19:10 pm · 55 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Silva March 8, 2019 at 7:14 PM

First!!!

Dr. Jellyfinger March 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM

Congratulations Silva!

Dr. Jellyfinger March 8, 2019 at 7:23 PM

And KAD came in last!
Congrats 2U2 -KAD!

Silva March 9, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Whoot whoot whoot! Thank you, Dr. Jellyfinger. Congrats to KAD!!

Dorothy March 8, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Windy & chilly today but so glad to see the sun. And even the moon! Just a small sliver of a moon but better than not being able to see it at all.

No book report, still working my way through a couple of books.

Brisco March 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM

Seventeenth?

Cowellian March 8, 2019 at 7:58 PM

Cowellian’s First!
Happy Daylight Saving Weekend!

Mary Fouts March 8, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Sourdough Baking: Does anyone else on this thread bake with all wild yeast sourdough starter? I bake all of our breads, rolls/buns, pizzas, and cakes with sourdough starter made with nothing other than bottled water and unbleached bread flour. My starter is is about 7 years old. I bake a lot. This winter, my starer has been beyond hype. My most current recipe, I mixed up dough for pizza and foccia bread. Usuallly retard this dough in the fridge for a few days, 3-5. After one day, the containers are almost to the top. It has to be due to the weather, and the polinating of trees. Savory herb sourdough foccacia bread it will be for tomorrow’s bake. Will hopefully be able to save some dough back for a New York style pizza on Sunday. Can’t fool Mother Nature!

Lambie March 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM

Wish I could have some 🙂
I used to have started, so good.

Turn n Burn March 9, 2019 at 3:36 PM

Mary, I’m not a good baker at all, but I’m trying. I’m curious when you say your starter is 7 years old. What’s that? I’m very slowly trying to learn how to make breads. lol So many fails.

S March 9, 2019 at 4:24 PM

to Turn and… easiest way to explain it… fermented flour, yeast, and water… it’s what makes sourdough sour… lots of recipes for it online…

Turn n Burn March 10, 2019 at 8:32 AM

Thank you S. I’m going to look it up.

jtkatec March 10, 2019 at 11:32 AM

Never tried sourdough, but I do use heritage wheat flour (Anson Mills or Blue Grain), as it ground from ancient, non-hybridized, wheat. Less gluten. Has a strong flavor than what one can buy in grocery stores.

Hmm, that savory herb sourdough faccacia sounds wonderful

Cowellian March 10, 2019 at 11:44 AM

My wife frequently makes sourdough bread, and I love it. She’s used her starter for many years.

Giddyup March 10, 2019 at 12:52 PM

I dabbled in sourdough in the mid-70s. Wasn’t my thing.

Silva March 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Hey jtkatec, where do you get that? I stopped eating wheat some years ago, but I would just really like to try real wheat before I die. Perhaps I had it in the 50s and early 60s, but I wouldn’t know for sure. Anyway that’s very cool.

jtkatec March 10, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Silvia, I buy it online:

ansonmills.com
bluebirdgrainfarms.com

Shipping is expensive so I try to bulk it up. Usually give it out as presents, trying to get people to switch to heritage.

Silva March 10, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Excellent, jtkatec! Thank you.

Mary Fouts March 12, 2019 at 10:49 PM

Turn n Burn – My sourdough starter I’ve had for 7 years this past Jan. Started with equal parts, by weight, of unbleached AP flour (King Arthur Flour) and bottled spring water. I failed trying to make a statrer for several years using filtered tap water. I finally found out that CC Water, as does many water systems, uses a chloramine disinfectant (ammonia plus chlorine) that is so small it cannont be filtered out with a Britta or similar filter. The chloramine attacks the natural sourdough yeast, turning it into mold. As soon as I switched to bottled spring water for my starter and sourdough baking, I easily found success. A sourdough starter just needs flour, water, and air. It captures the wild yeast that is present in our air. I bake all of our breads, rolls, buns, pizza dough, even cakes with sourdough starter. Haven’t purchased any of those in 7 years.

I keep my starter in mason jars in the fridge, covered with a paper coffee filter so the starter can breath. I bake a lot, will take some starter out tonight to make pizza dough and more herb foccia bread, will feed it (with flour and spring water) to make the dough tomorrow, and will feed the remaining starter in the jars with flour and spring water and put it back in the fridge. Will mix up dough tomorrow. Will do same process to make sandwich loaf breads, probably this weekend.

Lots of recipes for starting sourdough starter on the Internet. Start with King Arthur Flour recipe if you are interested. Don’t agree with it totally, but it’s a start, no pun intended.

Justifiable Languor March 13, 2019 at 6:09 AM

Thank you Mary Fouts. I am not a diligent baker, and in fact have failed most of the time. The cast iron bread is the one i make that is passable. I now know it is the tap water killing the yeast.

I love sour dough, and miss the flavor of the old San Francisco loaves. Is a jar of starter used for each recipe? Thus the need for several jars.

Mary Fouts March 13, 2019 at 2:05 PM

@Justifiable Languor – The amount of sourdough starter you need really depends on your recipes and how much you bake. I keep 2 jars in the door of my refrigerator because I bake a lot with it. Also, when I bake sourdough sandwich loaf breads, I bake 4 loaves at a time to make most efficient use of my oven and energy. 3 loaves go in the chest freezer, and one in the refrigerator for current eating. Do similar with my focaccia sourdough bread: Bake a large loaf that fills my Lodge 17 in cast iron skillet. I cut the loaf into quarter, freeze 3 and keep 1 in fridge.

Most home-based sourdough bakers probably do not keep as much starter on hand as I do.

Mary Fouts March 13, 2019 at 2:09 PM

@jtkatec and @Silva: RE: Ancient Grains. King Arthur Flour recently re-published a very informative Blog post about baking with Ancient Grains. Here it is if you’d like to read it: http://tinyurl.com/yy98v5wr

Silva March 13, 2019 at 6:04 PM

Very interesting, Mary Fouts. Thanks.

Justifiable Languor March 14, 2019 at 7:33 AM

I love reading of your adventures in the kitchen. I envy your husband for sure. I read the sour dough starter info from King Arther Flour. Very interesting! Especially about the throw away starter…and pizza dough! Air! Who’da thunk? Grapes! Weird! The possibilities are endless!

Shasta Daisy March 8, 2019 at 9:08 PM

Nice to have some sunshine today and brite
stars tonite.

Peace and sweet dreams.

Doh March 8, 2019 at 9:41 PM

Suing telemarketers (cont. from last week)
For calls where someone shows up I make an appointment and obtain a business card. For air duct and carpet cleaning I will make an appointment and turn them away at the door.

My experience with air duct cleaning was someone showed up but the only one with paperwork that had a dissolved Oakland company’s invoice. I could not track them down.

WC Resident –
The only carpet cleaner had the same owner. One of his people got very angry when he remembered I had turned him away previously. 😀 I told him to collect his commission from his boss anyway. If you get a robocall saying “Hi this is Scott of the carpet cleaning company” or just “carpet cleaning company” it is a DBA (Doing Business As) registered in Orange County.. Make an appointment and get the name of the company. If the cleaner says Sierra Carpets and/or Green Tree then it is
WILLIAM BLAND
2440 E LOCUST AVE
ORANGE, CA 92867-6137
(714) 553-1961

(not to be confused with the legitimate Sierra Carpet Care in Loomis, CA )
Good Luck

Anon March 9, 2019 at 12:25 PM

Aside from the duct cleaning SCAM, I would also Caution people against “Maintenance” Contracts for HVAC, your furnace/ heater.
Change your Own filter twice a year rather than having a Commissioned employee coming out to your home and telling you that your 5 year old furnace needs to be replaced!!!

Wowmanwow March 8, 2019 at 11:20 PM

Concord rent just keep on increasing. Wow!

Shasta Daisy March 9, 2019 at 10:42 AM

A beautiful “toasted marshmellow.”
Watching the parachutes open….definitely a WOW!

Peace.

Concord Mike March 9, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Concord real estate prices seem to be a bargain compared to other Bay Area cities. Entry level single family homes here are selling in the low $500k range. About what they were selling for 15 years ago.

So consider this: inflation over that time has totaled about 30%, so buyers today are actually paying $350K in 2005 dollars. 30% below the bubble price.

Now consider the relentless increase in rents over the last 15 years. While real estate prices have been flat in Concord, rents have almost doubled!!!!!

That is why I think housing prices in Concord are headed higher. They are a bargain in the Bay Area and a bargain relative to escalating rents. This is a great opportunity for people to jump from renting to owning their own home.

Brokers will always tell you today is the right time to buy. Sometimes they are actually right.

Kentucky Derby March 9, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Starter homes are NOT selling for what they were 15 years ago in Concord. My niece bought a starter home on N. 6th St in 2004. 3 bed, 2 bath, 1206 square ft. I remember her telling me she paid $243K because her husband said he refused to pay “over 250K.”

I just checked Zillow.com, and the zestimate for her home is $508,403. So you’re right that starter homes are valued at $500K in Concord. They were selling for a lot less 15 years ago.

Concord Mike March 9, 2019 at 4:23 PM

KD, I should have been more precise. The peak of the bubble was closer to late 2005-2006. At that time entry level homes were over $500K and larger homes in Turtle Creek and Crossings were selling $800K plus.

I also should mention fixed loan interest rates are lower today than they were back then. Another reason to take advantage of this market as a buyer.

Kentucky Derby March 9, 2019 at 5:13 PM

Concord Mike – I guess we all had higher property values during the bubble. I get where you’re going with your post. You’re encouraging home ownership in Concord. I agree with you.

Please keep in mind that higher home ownership doesn’t always lead to less crime. Antioch has higher home ownership than Concord (housing is cheaper) but the crime rate in Antioch is definitely higher. It’s a high crime town, regardless of homeowners, renters or the homeless.

concord ygnacio March 9, 2019 at 4:41 PM

It is hailing in Walnut Creek on S. California Saturday at 4:40 PM! I have pics and a video.

jtkatec March 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM

REHOMING – Blue Agava Cactus
Free to a good home. House trained and updated on all shots. Never take a chain saw to any of these beauties as you will end up with a nasty rash.

Also available young adult blue agavas, and MOMMA!!

Email me if you want a picture – jtkatec@pacbell.net
They will be in a box at end of driveway on Maple Avenue, Concord.

jtkatec March 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM

The babies are gone but the young adults and Momma are still available

Silva March 10, 2019 at 1:23 PM

They’re lovely and fun if you have a nice big spot where they won’t impale the mail carrier, a guest or a kid. I have some but thank you! I’ve gotten that rash by cutting the leaves with a knife without wearing any gloves. It doesn’t matter if you wash it off right away, either.

lamont March 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM

Anybody know where Dave Linzey and his bag of cash are at the moment?

Original G March 11, 2019 at 9:44 PM

Given ample rains this should be a good year for wildflowers.
While there are ample listings and suggestions for places to go around the state, one not often mentioned is Jepson Prairie over in Solano County.

But there is an added plus, The Western Railway Museum, runs special trains. Great trip for the Grandkids.

Kirkwood March 12, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Lots of talk in the media about the grounding of the Boeing 737-MAX-8 around the world but not in the US. I believe the FAA is correct. The cause of the crash of the Indonesian plane was pilot error in that they didn’t recognize that the problem was in the auto-stabilization system that is part of the autopilot. American pilots have experienced the same problem but pulled the circuit breaker on that system and continued to hand fly the airplane. I’ll bet the findings in the S. African crash will be similar the Indonesian event.
The problem lies in the culture the pilots were born into, which affects the way they think, and how they react to training. All 2nd world pilots are trained in the US, they learn to operate systems, not how to fly. They exit the schools trained and qualified to operate their airplanes. The US has an extensive airline feeder system. New pilots usually spend a few years and thousands of hours of experience until a coveted seat in a major airline cockpit becomes available. In many foreign airlines, newly trained pilots go directly into the cockpits of major airlines. They can fly the airplane by the book as long as the airplane behaves by the book. If a problem arises that requires free thinking and experience, they are at a disadvantage.
As for the actual problem with the airplane, I don’t know what’s happening, but if there was a serious problem Boeing would have issued an AD (an order to check or fix) or grounded the airplane. Military pilots talk about attempts to “idiot-proof an airplane.
Orders by airlines to ground the airplane are PR efforts based on media sensationalism.

Mary Fouts March 15, 2019 at 1:05 PM

Kirkwood – There is a very interesting article in today’s NY Times that delves into the issues you bring up in your post regarding pilots relying on automation and losing hands-on flying skills. The article says automation reliance is especially prevalent in emerging markets. One pilot in the Ethiopian Airlines crash had only 200 hours of flight time, less than a seventh of the time the FAA generally requires before flying a passenger plane. I found that astonishing, and not in a good way!

Here is the article: https://nyti.ms/2u3XD4R

Kirkwood March 15, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Mary Fouts – Thanks for the link. The points were last discussed in the aviation world when a foreign airliner landed short at SFO a few years ago and again when a plane from the same part of the world mistook a taxiway for the runway with near disastrous results. Both were the result of bad judgments in the cockpits, and poor communication between the pilots.
I have an acquaintance who was an international captain with Northwest Airlines. In talking about pilots he told me that long haul pilots regard Southwest pilots as “cowboys” because they get a lot of “stick time”, flying short routes and sometimes making several landings in one day.
Read this morning that by the time officials reached the crash site in Ethiopia it had already been ransacked by locals.

WC Resident March 15, 2019 at 5:54 PM

@Kirkwood – Malaysia and Canada are not the same part of the world.

I doubt the Ethiopian crash site has been ransacked. That aircraft was flown hard into the ground. They are using backhoes to find the pieces. FYI, Ethiopia is also not in the same part of the world as Malaysia nor Canada.

Kirkwood March 12, 2019 at 1:44 PM

I discovered a mistake in my above msg. It was the Indonesia plane that the cause is known, not the Ethiopian crash, but I personally believe that they will be the same.

Jojo Potato March 12, 2019 at 1:49 PM
Justifiable Languor March 14, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Happy Pi day (3.14159…) or Pie day! How will you celebrate
Pizza, Apple, Galette?

Mary Fouts March 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM

My celebration is a bit delayed to Saturday: Sourdough Pizza, probably with pepperoni, pineapple, bell pepper, herbs, pizza sauce, and cheese of some type.

Jojo Potato March 15, 2019 at 7:55 AM

I celebrated with my birthday cake. Frankly I’m a bit miffed by this johnny come lately pi day thing trying to take over my long running birthday celebration. Chocolate from top to bottom. Yum!

Justifiable Languor March 15, 2019 at 10:28 AM

I am happy to accommodate a free for all pi day. What could be more wild and crazy than an infinity solution to a math problem. It’s irrational! Whoot!

I celebrated with an apricot pie from P.Hill Market. Thought now I want a pizza.

Happy Birthday Jojo Potato. A big bar of Chocolate from Trader Joe’s for you! It is on the Freezer Isle near the cookies in case you have no knowledge of the HUGE chocolate bars available. Milk and Dark chocolate as well as nuts.

Jojo Potato March 15, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Thanks, Langour.

Officer Barbrady March 15, 2019 at 10:22 AM

Kudos to the Mayor for scooping the Times by a lot on the story about the Concord City employee embezzling from the city . Beat them by about a week!

Kirkwood March 15, 2019 at 1:27 PM

We’ve seen local TV stations quote and credit Claycord.com from time to time.

KAD March 15, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Last on a beautiful day.

Silva March 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM