Salvation Army Thrift Store Moving Into The Old Beverly’s Building On Clayton Rd. In Concord

February 20, 2019 14:00 pm · 37 comments

The Salvation Army Thrift store is moving into the old Beverly’s building on Clayton Rd. in Concord, inside the TJ Maxx shopping center.

A sign on the window says they’re hiring for all positions, including store manager, assistant-manager and sales associates.

They say paid training will begin March 1. You can apply on Indeed or ZipRecruiter. The store manager position pays $12.89 an hour, and the sales associate position pays $9.58 an hour.

The store will open on March 20, 2019.

frambley1 February 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM

You mean the old TG&Y building in the Alpha Beta shopping center.

94521 February 20, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Yep.

Jack's Fan February 20, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Better than an empty storefront but that whole shopping center is a sad sight these days.

Cowellian February 20, 2019 at 2:48 PM

I hope they do well. I also hope they have better control over people leaving unwanted trash than they did on Treat.

CHSgrad89 February 20, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Aaaahhh. I’m suddenly reminded of the horrible dump of a store next to CVS on Treat (10+ years ago) and how they were forced to close because of the uncontrolled “donations” in front of the store. Mayor, remember the kid tearing up the bean bag chair in front of the store while his mom shopped inside? I sure hope this new location doesn’t go the same way, but I suspect it will. That post is in your history somewhere…

CLAYCORD.com February 20, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Hey CHSgrad89 – Nice hearing from you. Yes, remember it very well. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, especially since it’s a darker, more secluded location than the last one. Seems to be too large for a store, but I guess we’ll see.

Hope you’re doing well.

joan February 20, 2019 at 3:10 PM

I’m sure the homeless will enjoy hanging out there.

Ms. Mom February 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM

The homeless already sleep in front of all the empty stores now that shopping center is a dump already

Aunt Sue February 20, 2019 at 3:33 PM

I miss Beverly’s 🙁

Joan Foster February 21, 2019 at 5:22 PM

I do, too.

Silva February 20, 2019 at 3:42 PM

Aw, shucks. It won’t be Half Priced Books then.😕 That woulda been perfect (for me)!! It is nice and roomy, and has all that parking! There is nothing wrong with that center a new tarmac wouldn’t fix. I hope they make it a clean, organized and welcoming store.

ZZ February 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM

I was hoping for Half Priced Books too.

Bill Bob February 21, 2019 at 8:49 AM

HPB should go into the old Osh on Ygnacio, now that would be cool.

RANDOM TASK February 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM

well I guess it is true that the city council cares not for this part of conturd
a dollar store and a salvation army thrift store …moving up in conturd
with direct access to Pittsburgh should be interesting
wow the degradation of this city is on pace
might as well put in an abortion center there too

complete the trifecta of despair and lowing standards of conturd even more

I always wondered how pitts and Antioch got all dragged down and became a less desirable area being so close to water …I guess conturd modeled their demise ….and in record time …gratz city council your work is progressing faster than previously thought ….

drag them down to rule them all

DodgerDog February 20, 2019 at 8:47 PM

@Random Task: What does the city council have to do with this? They have nothing to do with who the property manager decides to lease to.

Pat February 20, 2019 at 10:10 PM

Um, the City can tell the owner of the shopping center to clean it up and make it more presentable which is waaaaaaay over-due. The Clayton Road continues to go to crap.

tal February 20, 2019 at 3:54 PM

better than empty!

Concord 95 February 22, 2019 at 11:27 AM

Actually not in this case. That store is only going to attract garbage. Homelessness, drugs, alcohol, urine and deification k, as well as tons of crappy donations that are going to be ripped open and spread all over the store front and parking lot. Concord was once a beautiful city. I loved growing up there. 80s 90s now it’s damn near as bad as Pittsburg and Antioch. As Trump would say it’s a Sh—hole

anon February 20, 2019 at 4:17 PM

I sure hope they clean up that shopping center before anything else moves in. It really needs help! I drive by it almost daily but avoid going in.

Dan Anderson February 20, 2019 at 4:55 PM

So sad to see Concord deteriorate. I grew up in a nearby neighborhood and frequented this shopping center when I was young. Really makes me sad.

RJ February 20, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Same here – it’s very sad to see what used to be a nice middle class area turn into this…. I miss the old days of TG&Y, Alpha Beta, Thriftys, Danny K’s donuts (now a Mexican restaurant?), miniature golf, etc. The good old days are gone 🙁

buck February 20, 2019 at 5:24 PM

Wow I want the store manager job @ $12.89 per hr. then I can afford to buy a second home in Hawaii in gosh what about 2 months?

NoMoreFreeRide February 20, 2019 at 5:32 PM

Once they develop the Naval Weapons Station property that shopping center will be in an ideal location. Until then it sucks.

Dee Ray February 20, 2019 at 6:17 PM

They have the hourly wages incorrect? Minimum wage in CA is $12 per hour.

Erin February 20, 2019 at 9:52 PM

Dee Ray, you are correct!!! As of 1/1/19 minimum wage for 26 or more employees is 12.00. They must have it wrong. I also hope the store manager pay is wrong as that is very low!

Kentucky Derby February 21, 2019 at 9:40 AM

As of 1/1/19, minimum wage is $12 an hr. for 25 or more employees, and $11 an hr. for under 25 employees. There are employers who qualify for an exemption, and only have to pay 85 percent minimum wage. But $9.78 an hr. is less than 85 percent. Interesting.

Dart February 20, 2019 at 6:19 PM

I wish they would put a decent home style restaurant along Clayton Road. There are so many fast food restaurants.

Has anyone been in the new 7-11 at Ygnacio/Kirker Pass/Clayton Road?
I don’t see many cars parked there. I guess will have to wait for the concerts at the Pavilion to start.

7-11 February 21, 2019 at 3:11 AM

I have been in the 7-11 at Kirker and Clayton and it was REALLY nice…nicest one I’ve seen by far, and the people were really friendly, and it was well stocked even with items you’d not expect like gloves and hats that would be nice to wear to a concert or hiking, and better food than I expected, and surprising household items. I didn’t need anything and was just warming up while getting gas, but ended up buying something just because the people were so nice inside…check them out.

Anon February 20, 2019 at 6:22 PM

Wow 12.89 for a manager. That sucks you can work anywhere else and get paid that for being a regular associate

Wanda February 20, 2019 at 6:43 PM

That is awful. TJMax will move out and this will because beat up plaza, that none of the Concord or Clayton residents in the area will use. It will become a dump. Very sad.

America February 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Why do these thrift stores accept and sell junk? It often smells funky in there, too. Concord is deteriorating right before our eyes.

Roz February 21, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Yes,…some of these places smell funky,…but, it is amazing what you can find, and the prices are good.
My brother hunts for golf clubs, small price to buy, big price to sell on Ebay. Also, there are your artful creative souls, who take items, furniture, clothing and revamp them into usable items or art, then sell them or use them for personal use. I’ve had my fare share of good luck at thrift shops too.

Concord 1970 February 20, 2019 at 7:32 PM

The hey day of that center is long gone!!
And WILL NEVER RETURN.
Any one out in claycordia remember
The old tenants?
The Bike Route
Round table pizza
The Barber shop
Danny K’s
TG&Y
Thriftys ten cent ice cream for the first scoop
5 cents for additional scoops
Laundrer Matt
Alfa beta
And Texaco service station (south west corner)
At Bailey and Clayton!!

Mrs. Brown February 21, 2019 at 6:42 AM

I remember walking from our house on Claycord Ave as a kid. Alpha Beta and all those other stores you mentioned. There was a donut place on the end by Beverleys/Ben Franklin. I think it was Sunshine donuts. Miss the good old days! Before Monument started bleeding over in to the Clayton Rd area. Sad!

Pony February 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM

The prop management firm are genius’, as in Wily E. Coyote, Genius. Jack the rent up on Beverly’s because they know the space is primo and others will gladly pay what they want. End up with a Thrift Store.

Momosfriend February 21, 2019 at 5:32 AM

Seriously. Another second hand store on Clayton rd. The Goodwill is 3, miles down the road.

Surrounded by 1/2 million $ homes and up, this is the type of business that is interested in Concord… Second hand store.

Meanwhile there is vacancy all along Clayton road and in Blight Center the dump landlord of the Treat and Clayton shopping center. Thanks for nothing Concord city council. You should be out landing valuable tenants that will increase the value of an area with good paying jobs and taxes to the city.

RANDOM TASK February 21, 2019 at 11:00 AM

It is well known as the city council has stated its main concern is a 4 block area surrounded by banks the clayton rd area is none of their concern
You see that area and the surrounding voters all vote dem so you see their actions are repreneentive of their actions
And yes this area is surrounded by high priced homes and yes the city allows a thrift store and a dolllsr store and bums to entice more people of lower income so they can induce rent control and really turn Clayton rd into a dump or rather the next monument Blvd
If your good with a thrift store moving in then Yay for you
Me I do not like seeing a once proud thriving city and area be thrown into a dumpster because the agenda for low rent and total control of the area needs to be sped up
Those who like to strive for lower standards god bless and welcome you are home