Thunder, Lightning & Hail In Contra Costa

February 17, 2019 16:23 pm · 32 comments

Did everyone hear the thunder and see the lightning?

Also, we’re getting reports of hail all over Contra Costa County.

photo credit: Nancy Sanchez

Andrew February 17, 2019 at 4:25 PM

That was the loudest thunder I’ve heard in my entire life.

Dawg February 17, 2019 at 5:11 PM

You must not be very old.

Cellophane February 17, 2019 at 4:28 PM

That was fun.

Bob February 17, 2019 at 4:31 PM

What the hail!!!!!

Monica February 17, 2019 at 4:33 PM

Heard it.

Edi Birsan February 17, 2019 at 4:38 PM

As the saying goes:
I can see lightning, hear thunder and feel pain.

So I must be alive.

concord ygnacio February 18, 2019 at 3:05 PM

I clicked on the link for “Edi Birsan” above twice and and was redirected to survey site both times. I don’t like being deceived like this.

LemonyLemon February 17, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Woah there was thunder so loud it felt like the lightning was on my houses roof.Also the house flashed a bright white for like 2 seconds.Extraordinary,exciting weather!!

Concernicus February 17, 2019 at 5:08 PM

Absolutely. Saw lightning above the hills, heard thunder, and now it’s pouring on and off. I think it broke the weather site, because it says “Showers early” for today, and it’s 5pm.

Silva February 17, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Not the loudest, but my grandson the city boy thought he was going to die.

Kat February 17, 2019 at 5:17 PM

It was crazy loud. So exciting and I feel so lucky to have a roof over my head!

el wapo man February 17, 2019 at 5:20 PM

jajajaja you guys got scare off his is nothing compare in Mexico
w get a really really scare thunders and the hail is the side of a marble
A lot of the house have like plastic sealing and it goes true it that’s scare!

ZZ February 17, 2019 at 6:21 PM

Yep, northern California doesn’t see much hail or T storms. So we enjoy it when it occurs. Little kids get scared since they aren’t used to it.
If you go to other parts of the US they do get a lot of
thunder and lightning storms. And hail.

East bay Native February 17, 2019 at 7:54 PM

You do realize that this is California, not to mention we rarely have thunderstorms throughout the year. I lived in Florida for ten years and trust me the storms that come through here or Mexico ain’t nothing compared to Florida; hurricanes, tornadoes, humidity etc.

Ming February 17, 2019 at 5:34 PM

Bright light super fast then loud thunder. Even coming from the islands I’m afraid of it ugh!

S February 17, 2019 at 5:42 PM

just came across 780 about 10 minutes ago. Hail so heavy the roads were white as if it was snowing……

KAD February 17, 2019 at 5:58 PM

That was the loudest thunder I have ever heard. The hubby thought the house was falling down on him so he bent over.

Ancient Mariner February 17, 2019 at 6:23 PM

And the best rainbow I’ve ever seen: complete, from horizon to horizon, and very bright and crisp.

Me February 17, 2019 at 6:54 PM

No thunder and lightening….just a lot of hail, here!
It’s beautiful, never seen it so big before!

Me February 17, 2019 at 7:02 PM

No thunder and lightning, but tons of hail! Not sure I’ve seen it this large in a long time here.
Soooo pretty, yet, so cold!

Roz February 17, 2019 at 8:13 PM

Didn’t see the lighting, heard the thunder roaring, saw the hail.

Silly February 17, 2019 at 9:00 PM

I was parked at the PH Y and in my car when the hail started coming down. Wanted to get out and take pictures, as the biggest hail I’d ever seen was bouncing onto my hood. But the hail turned in to driving rain. And so I thought I’d wait out the downpour. When it abated to slight rain, I walked into the Y. Posted signs said the pool was closed till further notice. So I asked Why? Whenever there’s thunder and lightning, I was told, the pool has to be closed. There was thunder and lightning? I said. Lol.

Weird how I didn’t hear the thunder clap or notice the lightning. And I was parked right near the pool, with the hurricane fence between us.

Silly February 17, 2019 at 9:01 PM

Nice photo, Nancy Sanchez!

Shasta Daisy February 17, 2019 at 9:29 PM

For the Bay Area, this was quite the storm today but I lived 10 years in the South and 2 years in the Midwest…today was nothing.

Heard the thunder and deck was covered with hail.

Enjoy it.

Peace ✌🏼

Hanne Jeppesen February 17, 2019 at 9:56 PM

We don’t often get thunder here in California, or at least in the Bay Area. I grew up in Denmark and believe it or not, we get some pretty strong thunder storms. I also lived in New York City and New Orleans, they also get very strong and loud thunder storms, in New York because of the tall buildings it sounds worse than it is, but I think New Orleans was the worse, and if I remember correctly for several weeks in the summer, we would get a thunder storm every afternoon about the same time.

Giddyup February 18, 2019 at 4:49 AM

First, I saw what I thought was a flash of light and waited for the thunder … how far off I sat and wondered … started singin’ a song from ’63 … and BOOOMMMM. It was a big one! I really think it was so impressive because for the last several years we have not had normal rainfall.

alfred burton February 18, 2019 at 8:05 AM

We still have hail on top of our shed in backyard from yesterday we got the hail two times yesterday.

alfred burton February 18, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Forgot to say this is in Bay Point

Kirkwood February 18, 2019 at 10:14 AM

While driving home from Sac’to late Sun. afternoon, traveling west on Hwy 12, I watched a storm moving southward from about the river, obscuring Mt Diablo and hills towards Livermore. Vertical wisps of gray rainfall extended unevenly along the breadth of the storm. As I crossed the Antioch Bridge a bolt of cloud to ground lightning flashed for an unusually long time. From my position it appeared to be near Martinez. I ran into the rain on Buchanan Rd and it followed me to Kirkwood.

Giddyup February 18, 2019 at 1:39 PM

CCWD and EBMUD should be lowering rates any day, now that the supply is so plentiful.

Kirkwood February 19, 2019 at 10:24 AM

Remember, CCWD and EBMUD are non-profit districts run by Board Of Directors elected by the public. What you pay is what it costs to provide the service.

momto12 February 20, 2019 at 8:03 AM

ROFL, Californians have no clue what a real thunderstorm is.