Claycord – Talk About Whatever

February 15, 2019 19:10 pm · 76 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Dr. Jellyfinger February 15, 2019 at 7:11 PM

What’s so cool about being last?

wave February 15, 2019 at 7:13 PM

Wave first!!

Dorothy February 15, 2019 at 7:24 PM

Book report: Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller,2018. Sci Fi but a weird one. A floating island city, a disease called “the breaks,” a woman who rides an Orca and brings a polar bear with her. Story has 4 main people and gets a bit disjointed, but connected, in alternate chapters. This will get donated.

concord ygnacio February 15, 2019 at 7:34 PM

I am looking for the name of this bar/night club that closed in Walnut Creek it was, I believe. Here is a pic of the press conference the owner gave after it closed. It was either in Walnut Creek or in Maine. This was about 5-7 years ago.

WC Resident February 15, 2019 at 8:44 PM

@concord ygnacio – I am confused by your question. The picture is of Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom at the launch of a new file-sharing website called “Mega.” Kim Dotcom lives in New Zealand.

Maybe you are thinking of Walnut Creek CD-ROM? It was located in the shopping center at Geary Road and Pleasant Hill Road.

concord ygnacio February 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM

Thanks WC Resident. I guess I was confused. I had for some reason saved this pic on my computer and was trying to remember what it was from. For some reason, I thought it was a bar closing in Walnut Creek, and I wondered why he had such a grandiose press conference for a mere closing.

Glen February 16, 2019 at 3:11 PM

A bar was forced to close in WC around that time. The guy who owned it put on a big production saying why he was being persecuted. There was a link on Claycord if I remember….

Loud music at night, drunks, He had a video saying why it should stay open.

concord ygnacio February 16, 2019 at 9:10 PM

@Glen: yes! That is the one I was thinking of!!

WC Resident February 16, 2019 at 9:37 PM

Glen’s comment rings a bell. I recall several bars/nightclubs where the owners put up a public fuss.

One was on south end of town across S. Main Street street from Kaiser. Another was on Giammona Drive next door to Skipolini’s Pizza (or maybe on Locus right around the corner from Skipolini’s). From what I recall, in both of those cases the owners converted from a restaurant to a dance club without getting approval from the city. I can’t remember the name of either place.

The owner of Crogan’s also put up a fuss and that closure was mentioned on Claycord.[1 and 2]

Cowellian February 15, 2019 at 7:51 PM

Cowellian’s First

Susan February 16, 2019 at 10:11 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of… Johnny’s Love’s was the bar on S Main next to Las Lomas High School. The city never should have given the permit for a bar to open so close to a school. Johnny used to be the bartender at Harry Denton’s In SF. There also was a bar right down town that was trying to open in the old bookstore building across from Crogan’s that is now Sauced.

Deanne Willhoft February 15, 2019 at 8:10 PM

Surviving Kirker Pass Road – twice a day – 5 days a week – watching aggressive drivers – cut in front – illegal lane changes – excessive speed – left of center – tail gating – fatalities – Buchanan Road right turn – solo accidents – rollovers – with my kid in the car. Trying not to yield to road rage & worried I will die on Kirker Pass Road and orphan my child.

Momof4 February 15, 2019 at 10:38 PM

We lived in Antioc and got fed up with the Kirker/Buchanan mess. Moved over the hill and have never regretted it for a moment.

Anon February 16, 2019 at 8:19 AM

Why don’t you get a Dashcam at least?
They’re really not that expensive.

THE BLACK KNIGHT February 16, 2019 at 7:32 PM

Kirker Pass Road will be getting a truck lane in the near future. Traffic on Kirker Pass Road is also expected to double by the year 2040.

Silva February 17, 2019 at 12:34 AM

Luckily I will be dead by then.

Justifiable Languor February 17, 2019 at 7:31 AM

There has been contention about expanding Kirker Pass Rd for decades. There was concern over destroying the beauty of the hills. That sentiment is being bypassed with the need for increased commute and soon, housing. I will never understand why our politicians and eco peeps have forsaken California for invaders that don’t even respect the environment and are decimating our economy.

Giddup February 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM

The neighborhood I live in is a desirable and clean, well-kept collection of older, custom-built homes which sell for the high six figures. Unlike what people normally do in this neighborhood (which is store their RV offsite) one couple has parked it in their side yard with an open metal fence that keeps it prominently displayed at all times.

I don’t want to say that the thing is ugly, but it is definitely a monstrosity. Additionally, apparently they are draining the septic system into their sewer connection at the curb when they return from a trip. Seems not a particularly hygienic method of sewage disposal in my opinion, but what do I know.

The only time the view is worse is when they take it somewhere and you can see all the way to their back fence that they have turned their side yard into what looks like a fully functioning junkyard. The view is like nothing I have ever seen on this street.

They are otherwise delightful people, but this junkyard-on-display of theirs is quite disturbing since it is the view their neighbors have to see 24/7 … and they don’t seem to be the least bit concerned about what their neighbors have to look at. If they even attached boards to the metal fence it would go a long way to obscure this trashy view and their RV monstrosity from the street and show a modicum of consideration for their neighbors.

Tina February 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM

I wonder if we live in the same neighborhood as I too have a neighbor who has their rv in site and much junk on a side yard. However it doesn’t bother me as it is not my problem or business. Maybe a coincidence. But I guess concord has bigger problems than my neighbors RV.

concord ygnacio February 15, 2019 at 11:40 PM

@Giddup:

“Additionally, apparently they are draining the septic system into their sewer connection at the curb when they return from a trip. Seems not a particularly hygienic method of sewage disposal in my opinion, but what do I know.”

This would be illegal. The street sewers are not a septic system and the waters from there go to the rivers and lakes. That is why mobile shower systems like Lavame for the homeless in Sf and Oakland have to keep the gray water in their bus tanks and dispose of it properly. Gray and black water from an RV is to be into proper disposal tanks. There are many places that have disposal free, like at some rest stops.

I would call code enforcement.

Bill Bob February 16, 2019 at 1:35 AM

Sorry, at the end of the day, it’s none of your business and best to leave them alone, perhaps focusing on your own property instead.

Stupid Should Hurt February 16, 2019 at 6:02 AM

@ concord ygnacio:

Kirkwood February 16, 2019 at 10:04 AM

If you live in Concord there is a City ordinance that stipulates that RV’s, boats, etc. must be stored behind a fence tall enough to hide the vehicle from the street. Enforcement is usually complaint driven.

Giddyup February 16, 2019 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that sewage from a boat or RV had to be disposed of according to a strict set of guidelines that would preclude dumping it into your Clayton city sewer connection at the curb in front of your house.

i can only hope they finish the fence by putting boards on it so that we don’t have to look at the monstrosity or their junkyard. The thing sits as tall as the house, so it is unlikely they will be able to disguise it with boards on a fence, but anything would be an improvement.

It might be helpful here to also mention that garbage cans need to be stored so they are not visible from the street, preferable behind a fence. I really don’t want to look out my windows and see their garbage cans day in and day out sitting in plain sight in the front of the house. If this is how they handle what their neighbors can see, I shudder to think what the backyard and inside of the house look like.

concord ygnacio February 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM

@Stupid Should Hurt:

“The sewer connection does not flow to rivers and lakes. It flows to the sewer treatment plant. It is separate from the storm drain system. Not a great idea, but not illegal. Don’t call code enforcement NIMBY.”

Unfortunately, you are completely wrong. It is alos not NIMBYism.

The neighbor has committed numerous code violations, as pointed out above. By doing so, he is lowering others’ property values and quality of life.

You cannot simply dump your RV sewage and gray water down the street drain. There are proper disposal places for that. No different than urinating down the drain or taking a dump by it and waiting for the rain t wash it down. If everybody used the street sewers that way, we would have a big problem.

Lavame (a mobile bus that travels to parts of SF and Oakland to allow the homeless to shower in them) was limited in the showers they could offer per day due to the fact they had to hold the gray water in their tanks to dispose of properly. Someone suggested simply running a hose from their shower tanks to the street sewer at whatever location they are at. They said that would be illegal and violate city codes.

concord ygnacio February 16, 2019 at 2:19 PM

@Kirkwood: In PH, you are allowed to store RV’s in your driveway, but no one is allowed to live in them while on your property (or on the street too).

Anon-2-U February 16, 2019 at 3:09 PM

@GiddyUp – The max height of a fence in Concord is 6′ with 1′ of Lattice. If the RV you’re tired of looking at is a newer model the roofline is taller than 7′. We have a cleanout to the sewer in front of our home that was used by the old homeowners, and we use it when we return with our RV. It’s not illegal to dump our black or gray water in the line.

I do agree about garbage cans being visible, it is in the city codes that they are supposed to be stored out of sight. I’m sick of seeing my neighbors cans out my bedroom window every day.

Giddyup February 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM

Honestly, I thought at one point they might be considering using it as an AirBnB.

Stupid Should Hurt February 16, 2019 at 5:25 PM

@ concord ygnacio
You clearly don’t understand the difference between a sewer connection and a storm drain. As I stated before, the sewer connection flows to the sewer treatment plant. It is completely seperate from the storm drains which flow from the curb in front of your house to the creeks and out to the river.
You don’t know what you are talking about.

concord ygnacio February 16, 2019 at 9:18 PM

@Stupid Should Hurt: I’d like to know where the neighbors of the OP were draining that hose to exactly. He said it was the sewer connection by the curb. I don’t know of any sewer connections by curbs except storm drains, like the one in Albany pictured here at the curb:

You can’t read the writing, but it says no dumping and that it drains directly into the bay.

WC Resident February 17, 2019 at 12:59 AM

A few of comments about “they are draining the septic system into their sewer connection at the curb when they return from a trip” by Giddup.

As others have noted, there are two separate systems. 1) The storm drain system has inlets in parking lots and the curbs of streets. These drain into local creeks which flow into the Sacramento River which flows out into the SF bay and ocean. 2) Your house is connected to the sewer system. That water goes to the sewage treatment plant near the intersection of highway 4 and Interstate 680. After treatment the water is released into the Sacramento river.

You are not allowed to empty your septic system into the sewer system, and definitely not allowed to dump it into the storm drain system. The reason for this is that septic systems use additional chemicals that the sewer plant is not designed to handle. I believe some of those chemicals also kill the microbes/bacteria that the sewer plant uses to process waste water. In 2018 a guy in Pacheco was arrested for doing exactly that. He had septic tank cleaning business. He would drive back home and connected the truck to a sewer line he had installed in the middle of his yard. The sewer plant operators were seeing surges of septic tank chemicals and investigated the source.

It’s possible the RV people are emptying their fresh water tank. That is allowed and it’s okay to empty it into the storm drain system though I’d use it to water my yard.

If the RV is parked in a side yard behind a fence then it’s probably legal. If you are concerned, then take photos and send them to your city’s code enforcement or community relations department and ask what the rules are.

Kirkwood February 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM

Since about 1970, builders in Concord are required to install a sewer lateral cleanout at the property line closest to the sewer main. If a plugged lateral occurs the City will insure that the line downstream of the cleanout is clear. On older properties with no cleanout, homeowners are responsible for their lateral all the way to the main. I have argued with many citizens who wanted their plugged lateral cleared by the City and denied.
As for storm drains do you know that ONLY stormwater runoff is allowed in storm drains? Water such as swim pool water is illegal because chemicals such as chlorine can harm wildlife in the creeks and streams.

Giddyup February 17, 2019 at 1:21 PM

They had returned from a weekend trip and I walked over to ask how they enjoyed it. We talked for a while and he told me they had two bathrooms in the RV. (It is bigger than those small houses that have gained in popularity of late.)

Having sailed on the bay in a sailboat with a head, I was somewhat familiar with the restrictions related to the proper discharge of sewage. I said, “I guess you have to pump it out, then?” He said, “We pump it out when we get home at the sewer connection …” which is the city sewer cleanout installed in the front yard of each house near the curb as others have mentioned above.

I don’t know how it is done exactly, but I would imagine when you are pumping it at a discharge station the whole process is much “neater” than what would take place at an impromptu dump into your front-yard cleanout, which by the way only allows access in a direction away from the house. I did notice that the City of Concord sent out a truck to pump out the sewer via the manhole cover in the street since they bought the RV, so I am wondering if discharging a three or four-day trip all at one time would overwhelm the system locally.
Additionally, they would be pumping it out with some force other than gravity which usually governs the system. Could it not possibly back up into other people’s lines when discharged under pressure? Doesn’t seem quite right to me.

Giddyup February 17, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Interesting. A neighbor up the street drains his swimming pool every other year or so into the street which eventually ends up in the storm drain. Or, at least that is what I think he is doing. I can’t imagine anything else filling the gutters for hours on end like that.

Peter February 17, 2019 at 1:53 PM

The only sewer connection at the curb is a storm drain.The actual sewer is a man-hole cover in the middle of the street.The RV waste is going into the storm drain.That drains into the delta.Code enforcement needs to be called.

Giddyup February 17, 2019 at 2:43 PM

@Peter When the sewer connections were made for each property on the street, three “cleanouts” were installed on each property. They consist of an (about) four inch PVC pipe with a removable lid located above ground which connects to the underground sewer pipes which then run to the street, connecting to the main. One of these cleanouts is located where the main sewer pipe leaves the building. A second is locaed where the main sewer pipe turns and runs to the street. The third is located about six feet from the curb. Their purpose is to provide access for the homeowner to clean out any blockage occuring on their property.

The people with the RV are pumping the RV’s sewage holding tank into their cleanout near the curb, not into the street. I’m not sure I made that clear.

I checked the code and I can not find specifically that it is a violation.

“13.08.020 – Unauthorized Discharge of Sewage.

A. No person shall discharge or deposit sewage or sewage effluent in or on any area within the city except as permitted by this chapter or pursuant to a permit issued by the city council.

B. Individual sewage disposal systems, with the approval and permission of the Contra Costa County Health Department, shall be provided for premises requiring the disposal of sewage where no sanitary sewer system is available. No person shall maintain an improperly functioning individual sewage disposal system. All individual sewage disposal systems shall be properly permitted and maintained in accordance with applicable law.”

Peter February 17, 2019 at 3:01 PM

Giddup.Your first post says”apparently they are draining their septic system into their sewer connection “at the curb”.Now you are saying the connection is about 6 feet from the curb.Thanks for the clearing that up.

Giddyup February 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM

Sorry, I didn’t say they were pumping it into the gutters at the curb which lead, of course, to the storm drains. They are pumping the RV sewage into their sewer cleanout at the curb. There are three sewer cleanouts on each property, one is at the curb, or near enough to be considered the curbside sewer cleanout, as opposed to the other two cleanouts which are in the backyard.

Shasta Daisy February 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM

Loving the stars peeking
between the clouds tonite.

Peace. 🌟

Dale Gribble February 15, 2019 at 10:08 PM

Were going to be over run by wild turkeys 🦃 they are everywhere I’m sure the CIA has put cameras on them and microchipped because the best way to To watch someone’s be inconspicuous,

Roz February 16, 2019 at 6:39 AM

Ha!,…That was Funny.
If they are not microchipped, send them my way,…LOL!
I enjoy bird watching, no matter which size, but not crazy about the crows.
Had a Peacock come up our court 15 years ago, walked through our front yard to the back yard. Hubby got a photo before it opened it’s wings, and in one leap and one flap of wings, he was on top of the 2 story Apartment build set near the back side of our yard. It was an awesome site!

Dr. Jellyfinger February 15, 2019 at 10:15 PM

I was given a Hostess Cupcake today! a 2 pack… it’s been a few years since I’ve had anything from Hostess.
They seem…. smaller.

Is it just me, or has some sadistic corporate miser actually decided to make these precious delights SMALLER merely to save money ?

What is the world coming to?

Dawg February 15, 2019 at 10:40 PM

Hostess went out of business and new owners bought it in 2016.

concord ygnacio February 15, 2019 at 11:41 PM
Lovelace February 16, 2019 at 12:42 AM

Ich bin im Duetchland.
Dunkles vollbier ist das beste!
Peace out…

Irene February 16, 2019 at 10:02 AM

Krispy Kreme advertises specialty donuts for certain seasons. But when you go to buy one, they never have them. In addition to what I normally get my husband for Valentine’s Day, I thought I would add something new and different. So I went there to get him one of their Valentine’s donuts Thursday morning, because I didn’t want to give him a stale one, and they were already out. I was kind of disappointed. So I walked out not even buying any other type of donuts as planned. I guess, if I want a donut as a rare treat, I will go to another donut place.

CoCoOld February 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Try The Best Little Donut House or King’s donuts. Both are local and delicious!

Miss the Liner Notes February 16, 2019 at 2:33 PM

Good observation! The Concord Krispy Kreme needs to step it up. They have questionable customer service and sometimes bitter coffee. And I never see the HOT DONUT sign on.

S February 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM

would anyone know the house number of the house fire on hill st in bay point…. I’ve a friend on that street who is not responding…. not in a position to drive over there… thanks…

Anon February 16, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Says 100 Block of Hill st. 3 people displaced.

Concordejet February 16, 2019 at 10:50 AM

Joke

Q. What do you get when you cross a snake with a tasty dessert?

A. A pie-thon!

Shasta Daisy February 16, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Anyone notice the “duck” (stack of rocks) located in LimeRidge where the fire was last year? You can see it from Ygnacio.

Pretty cool. Hope it respected by hikers.

Peace.
Happy hiker.

Anon-2-U February 16, 2019 at 3:05 PM

We did notice the rock pile, and this morning noticed a few of the rocks had been removed. We both thought it was cool.

Cowellian February 16, 2019 at 4:59 PM

What is the purpose of the duck, and why would people remove the rocks?

Kirkwood February 16, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Beware of the paper boxes now used by restaurants for leftovers and takeouts. They are flimsy and bottoms become damp within minutes and wet within an hour. Make sure they are in a plastic bag or you’ll have a cleanup job in your car.

Original G February 16, 2019 at 7:13 PM

Liberals, making life more interesting as they save the planet . . .
one straw at a time.

Shasta Daisy February 16, 2019 at 4:47 PM

You’re right, just drove by it and rocks have been rearranged.
I sure hope it’s not destroyed.

Peace. ✌🏼

Giddyup February 19, 2019 at 7:19 PM

Looks like a Tesla to me!

Ancient Mariner February 16, 2019 at 7:38 PM

Sad – Nantucket’s closing down.
I loved that restaurant!

Silva February 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM

Me too.

Edi Birsan February 17, 2019 at 4:40 PM

New survey is now up on the web site:

or click on the ad on the side somewhere.

Shasta Daisy February 18, 2019 at 8:57 PM

Full Snow Moon 🌝 tonite.
Enjoy.
Be thankful.

Peacy✌🏼

WC Resident February 18, 2019 at 9:21 PM

There is a “Supermoon” shining tonight.

It’s a combination of the Moon being at its perigee which is when it’s closest to our Earth and that it’s a full Moon at the same time.

In this case the perigee will be at 1:04 A.M. early Tuesday morning and the full Moon is at 7:54 A.M.

However, tonight makes for good viewing.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon for details

Silva February 19, 2019 at 7:42 AM

That was sooo pretty.

Jojo Potato February 19, 2019 at 11:41 AM

Thanks to Caltrans for cleaning out the homeless camp between BART and 680 at Jones rd and the canal trail. Amazing how much junk those people can accumulate. Everytime they reinforce the fencing it gets cut and people move in again. Too sad.

WC Resident February 20, 2019 at 5:40 PM

There’s apparently a plan to do a permanent eviction at that spot. The gate was re-locked on Tuesday.

Mary Fouts February 19, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Grass Fed and Finished Ground Beef: For those of you who enjoy grass fed beef and have a chest freezer, Stemple Creek Ranch (Marin County) has their grass fed and finished ground beef on sale in 25 lb boxes (Normally $10.50/lb, on sale for for $8.99/lb.) It comes packaged in 1/3 lb patties, 1/2 lb patties, or 1 lb packages. Overnight shipping at no extra charge. You can order from their website stemplecreek.com.

I have been ordering grass fed beef and lamb, and their pork for about a year. Best meat we’ve ever had. Their packs and bundles include free shipping and represent a good value versus purchasing each piece separately. Wonderful customer service, too.

Original G February 19, 2019 at 3:07 PM

Mosquitoes . . hadn’t thought about the little buggers ‘casue it’s been so cold at night. Last two nights below freezing yet this afternoon out prepping for transplanting out behind the green house noticed movement when a container with rainwater and a few leaves in it.

So might want to do a walk around emptying out any standing water.
The neck you save might be yours.

Dr. Jellyfinger February 19, 2019 at 7:59 PM

Family debate….. scariest Steven King movie… I say Pet Semitary but I can’t remember all of his stuff.

TG February 21, 2019 at 7:41 AM

When will bailey road pot holes ever be repaired ? Seriously tired of it

Shasta Daisy February 21, 2019 at 8:08 AM

Happy beautiful Thursday morning to everyone.
Play your favorite music and enjoy the day.
Music fills your soul.

Peace.

Clayton Road Traffic Pylons February 21, 2019 at 1:03 PM

Workers were installing right lane traffic pylons on Clayton Rd. at the Lucky Store today. Anyone know why?

Old-school guy February 21, 2019 at 3:26 PM

What happened to the column, Traffic Jammin’? The last article was posted in Dec 2018.

Jo February 21, 2019 at 6:03 PM

Old-school guy – Mayor said that Janis got a job elsewhere.

Cowellian February 22, 2019 at 6:20 PM