Claycord – Talk About Whatever

February 8, 2019 19:10 pm · 52 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

wave February 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Wave First???

Momof4 February 8, 2019 at 7:14 PM

Woohoo just drove down Clayton Road and Caspers had a customer! One. Singular!

Half full February 9, 2019 at 2:42 AM

Omg. That European woman that works there! Hmmm. That explains it.

The Fractionator February 9, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Do not get Kaspers Hot Dogs on Clayton Road confused with the Casper’s Hot Dog Chain located throughout the Bay Area. It’s not part of the chain and maybe that’s why a bunch of people aren’t in there at lunch time. I’ve been in Kaspers a couple of times and it was ok, not like Casper’s. The lady that works there isn’t the most friendliest person but she usually gets your order out pretty fast.

Kentucky Derby February 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM

You have Kasper’s and Casper’s backwards. The original hot dogs are Kasper’s – not Casper’s. Two cousins broke family ties and started Casper’s.

If you like Casper’s better, you’re entitled to your opinion. But Kasper’s is the original chain.

Concordejet February 8, 2019 at 7:18 PM

Joke
Q: Why did the crab never share?

A: Because he’s shellfish

Scoob February 8, 2019 at 7:18 PM

Please don’t litter!

Shasta Daisy February 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM

Happy Friday.
Have a stress free weekend.
Take time for yourself.

Peace.

KAD February 8, 2019 at 7:21 PM

First or Fifth?

wave February 8, 2019 at 7:28 PM

How about Sixth???

Cowellian February 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM

Cowellian’s first

Abbie R. February 8, 2019 at 8:15 PM

What was going down at the corner of Contra Costa Blvd. and Gregory Intersection and 680 off ramp today? There was one CHP Car and 8 Pleasant Hill Police cars parked there with Lights flashing, and two Officers observed going to the back in the shopping areas landscape.

Antler February 8, 2019 at 8:36 PM

Atticus, wasn’t it about two weeks ago you told us that you would be gone awhile…. “just busy”, you said? I’m just running a check because there have been times in the past when you told us about the severe conditions at jobs you had to inspect in the central USA states. These past two weeks, there has been brutal weather in those states; so I’m hoping you are happy and in good health!

concord ygnacio February 8, 2019 at 10:00 PM

There was a comment here earlier this week how you should leave your car unlocked so you don’t get a window smashed by burglars.Well, below is what happens when you don’t lock your car. The video shows you a mob of men in Texas who run threw a neighborhood at lightning speed trying the doors of every car to see which one is unlocked. The ones that are locked they leave intact.

Half full February 9, 2019 at 2:23 AM

On the corner of Denver and West in Concord there used to be a plaque on the sidewalk . It was in reference to the Concord Airport that was once in that area. It has been gone for years, the triangular imprint still there. Why was it removed. Or was it stolen. Anyone know the truth?

Kirkwood February 9, 2019 at 9:38 AM

I remember the old hangar building that was there into the 70’s. The plaque was probably taken by a souvenir hunter or a metals thief.

Half full February 9, 2019 at 2:37 AM

A triangular plaque was once on the corner of West and Denver streets. It commemorated the Concord Airport. It has been gone for years. Anyone remember it?

missimee February 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM

Is Janis Mara no longer writing her column for Claycord? Haven’t seen it in a while.

Dorothy February 9, 2019 at 12:36 PM

Hope she is okay, I always enjoyed her column and responses to questions. Very helpful.

S February 9, 2019 at 1:41 PM

I think she works exclusively for the Marin Independent Journal now days.

missimee February 9, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Thanks for the update, Mayor. I always looked forward to reading her columns. I am glad she has a good job.

CLAYCORD.com February 9, 2019 at 2:00 PM

She really is a great person, always has been. Thanks for the kind words, I’ll make sure she sees them.

Lari February 9, 2019 at 5:15 PM

We live on a corner lot, but unfortunately the neighbors we share a fence with had a family member erect this covered deck/box-like construction that comes just inches from our shared fence. While they made sure their view is nice (stained wood, trimmed roof shingles and gutters), the sloped roof and side we see is quite the eyesore. Naked, uneven wood siding looming over our handsomely stained lattice topper and worse, these uneven, untrimmed asphalt roof shingles just hanging down and flapping in the wind. As another neighbor said, it looks like something in a homeless encampment. We will be blocking it as much as we can with foliage on our side (and at quite the cost). I just would never be so thoughtless to a neighbor. I know it’s a free country and all, but I would not have built so close to another person’s fence and no matter what I did, I would’ve at least made sure it looked nice from all vantage points. Meanwhile, they have shredded plastic sheeting and a tarp barely held down by sheet rock on top of the roof of their home, which we also have to look at on our side. Thanks for letting me vent.

anon February 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM

City of Concord has a muni code regarding how close a neighbor can build anything within the set back limits close to a fence. You might want to ask Code Enforcement about the problem.

Anon February 9, 2019 at 7:52 PM

Where’s Law enforcement regarding these Tinted Windshields????? Or do they also need a special grant for that?
Really ridiculous. You’re supposed to know what a driver is doing WHEN THEY DO NOT USE TURN SIGNALS AND YOU CANNOT SEE THEM.

Kirkwood February 11, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Years ago I asked a police officer about tinted side windows on cars. Dark tint side glass is legal only when offered as a factory option. I believe the only car that offers dark tint for the front seat is BMW. I never thought to ask about windshields.
I see a dark glass BMW driving around Pittsburg. Young driver.

justathought February 9, 2019 at 9:14 PM

Anybody know what happened on Clayton Rd last night, shortly past 1 a.m. near El Pollo Loco? Possible pedestrian vs. vehicle?

Mimi (original) February 11, 2019 at 8:42 AM

Someone mentioned to me this morning that Half Price Books is being evicted from their store at Todos Santos Plaza!! Does anyone know anything about this??

Cowellian February 11, 2019 at 9:01 AM
Nutcreek Frontier February 11, 2019 at 9:09 AM

California just very quietly released the list of under-performing schools. Mt. Diablo Unified had 7 schools on this list: Bel Air Elementary, El Dorado Middle, Oak Grove Middle, Sunrise (spec.ed.), Shore Acres Elementary, Horizons Independent Study, and Olympic High.

If you would like to see the complete list, which is not very user friendly, click on below website and scroll down to Spreadsheet section, and click on first .xslx spreadsheet and filter by Assistance Status “CSI Low Perform”

Antler February 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Something each one of us can do to influence Half Price Books to find another space in Concord:

Go to their website: http://www.halfpricebooks.com

Find the place where it lets you send them a message via Facebook Messenger. Do it!
A personal…. as in REAL PERSON… reply came back to me within 3 hours. To paraphrase: They regret the situation in Concord and are doing everything they can to find another space here. (I had given them my own preference and a few other suggestions re currently vacant spots.)
Also, please sign up for their emails because there is a place where you can select exactly “Concord Todos Santos” as our store.
Another way to reach them is http://www.pages.hpbdirect.com.

Atticus Thraxx February 13, 2019 at 6:43 PM

Thanks Antler. It’s a blow that’s for sure. But lucky for us Berkshire Books stands ready to serve our literary needs.

Lizzie February 11, 2019 at 6:44 PM

Once again I am writing to complain about my neighbor, the infamous hoarder/junk collector, the one who has dead tree’s, broken down sheds (more than one) and probably everything you could imagine sitting and rotting in his backyard. The stench from the dead rodents is so bad during the summer months we can’t even open the front door. Anyway, tonight I pull into my driveway and peeking thru his broken down fence is a racoon. It scared the F*** out of me. What do I do? I have called the County so may times as have my neighbors. Any suggestions?

anon February 11, 2019 at 8:42 PM

That sounds like my neighbor. Concord Code Enforcement doesn’t care what goes on in someone’s back yard.

Stop look and listen February 14, 2019 at 11:53 AM

First pray about it. Two problems neighbors, one making meth, and four loud barking dogs moved away. Oh three neighbors, a ladies financier.
1. Get a name of someone in county to keep on it and.find out why nothing is happening. Can other neighbors send.complaints too. send pics.be descriptive with the smell. Drop by their office with cookies or flowers or huge bunch of balloons to get their attention and bring big pictures or a poster of the mess. Be squeaky and creative.
2. Get name of person in charge of that dept. If you don’t get anywhere. More pics
2. Talk to county official.

J February 15, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Government is not going to help much. You can sue your neighbor for money damages for private nuisance. Go to small claims court and ask for $7500. But do your homework first. Gather witnesses, documentary evidence, photos, journals, etc. Write a letter to the neighbor first, making a demand for money and injunctive relief. A real estate agent could testify or write a report that your house would be worth thousands more if you didn’t have the mess next door. A pest control person can write a report that the stench is from dead rats. Don’t go to court on a he said she said basis only. Copy the municipal code sections pertaining to dilapidated fences, rats, dead and overgrown shrubs, weeds, peeling paint, broken windows, etc. then bring those copies to court. Even if you are awarded only $500, your neighbor will get the message. You can record the judgment as a lien against the property. If he sells or refinances, you might get paid.

Silva February 11, 2019 at 7:52 PM

I copied this info from somewhere else.
EVICTION OF HALF PRICE BOOKS
Paragon Commercial Group is evicting Half Price Books
Half Price Books is an important part of our community and will be a great loss for Concord.
There are ways to you can help to keep Half Price Books from disappearing from Concord:
• Call Half Price Books corporate office: (800) 883-2114
Tell them how important they are to our community. Ask them if they can find a new location in the downtown area (such as the empty building by Safeway, or the empty building next to Concord Tap House).
• Reach out to the City Council by email and ask them to try to block the eviction, or to find a new location for Half Price Books in the downtown area.
o Citycouncil@cityofconcord.org
• Speak up during the non-agenda public comment period at this week’s City Council meeting (2/12 at 6 p.m.) and ask that the City Council work with HPB to remain in Concord, preferably downtown.

History: HPB was going to be evicted last fall, but were given an extension till May. However, as part of the deal, HPB employees were not allowed to openly discuss their pending eviction. But now that it’s out in the local press that they are closing, people are now free to talk openly about it. Paragon plans to renovate the space so Bank of America can move in.

THE BLACK KNIGHT February 11, 2019 at 9:39 PM

Silva,

I don’t know what the current plan is, but about a year ago Councilmember Tim McGallian had mentioned at a Concord City Council meeting that a developer had interest in building a mixed-use apartment building where Half Priced Books and the Chevron Gas Station are currently located. Let’s hope that is not going to happen. We need to keep additional housing from being built on the blocks that directly surround Todos Santos Plaza, so that it remains a place for all Concord residents and doesn’t become a place for just those that live in downtown Concord!

Silva February 12, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Oy.

Jojo Potato February 12, 2019 at 12:30 PM

For those of you who like reading newspapers online. See what’s available through our library. I had a nice lesson from the librarian at WC this morning and there is a lot available. First go to ccclib.org then Quicklinks and click on news, down there in the middle. From there navigate to local papers or the NY Times. It’s a bit clumsy And you need your library card number for some of it but a great resource from the county. Check it out. Libraries rule!

Jojo Potato February 13, 2019 at 6:43 AM
Kirkwood February 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM

My cable (Wave) bill arrived about a week ago and showed a 43% increase with no change in service. Whenever that happens I go into the office and complain and they adjust the bill. It is something I have to do once or twice a year. The fix involves the discounts and promos and can be done locally. I’m sure many customers don’t realize that and just grumble and pay.
Expect a $2+ increase next month which I don’t think is negotiable.

Atticus Thraxx February 13, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Kirkwood since you and I go way back, I’ll let you in on a secret, just between you and I. If you go down to Wave office and bring up your dissatisfaction, you can and likely will get a rate reduction for six months. Someone told me about it and when my bill climbed well over $200 I went down, was nice and behold, knocked not quite a 1/4 of my bill. Cable companies face a troubling future and the desperation is starting to show. Take advantage of it like they did to you!

Kirkwood February 14, 2019 at 10:18 AM

That’s exactly what I did yesterday and have done for years. Bill goes down $30 – $50. each time, but gradually creeps back up over the months. As you state, being nice almost always helps in any situation.

Mary Fouts February 14, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Front Yard Citrus Trees: A neighbor has an orange tree in the front yard, right by the sidewalk, that is loaded with beautiful oranges. They actually had to put up a laminated (polite) sign next to the tree “Please do not pick our oranges.”

Saddens me that people would actually take fruit without asking first. I have asked first, when I notice fruit on the ground that’s not been picked up. Common courtesy unfortunately isn’t common with some people.

Giddyup February 15, 2019 at 2:09 PM

The neighborhood I live in is a desirable and clean, well-kept collection of older, custom-built homes which sell for the high six figures. Unlike what people normally do in this neighborhood (which is store their RV offsite) one couple has parked it in their side yard with an open metal fence that keeps it prominently displayed at all times.

I don’t want to say that the thing is ugly, but it is definitely a monstrosity. Additionally, apparently they are draining the septic system into their sewer connection at the curb when they return from a trip. Seems not a particularly hygienic method of sewage disposal in my opinion, but what do I know.

The only time the view is worse is when they take it somewhere and you can see all the way to their back fence that they have turned their side yard into what looks like a fully functioning junkyard. The view is like nothing I have ever seen on this street.

They are otherwise delightful people, but this junkyard-on-display of theirs is quite disturbing since it is the view their neighbors have to see 24/7 … and they don’t seem to be the least bit concerned about what their neighbors have to look at. If they even attached boards to the metal fence it would go a long way to obscure this trashy view and their RV monstrosity from the street and show a modicum of consideration for their neighbors.

Original G February 14, 2019 at 5:30 PM

Had some impressive rainfall totals here in Contra Costa County over 24 and 48 hour periods. Mt Diablo for season July – June has received 30.14 inches.

Cowellian February 15, 2019 at 6:46 PM

KAD February 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM

Last. Where is everyone?

CLAYCORD.com February 9, 2019 at 1:50 PM

Janis Mara has taken a job with Caltrans District 4 (our district) as a spokesperson. We’re still hopeful she’ll be able to continue her column in the coming weeks.

Until then, congratulations to a wonderful person. Caltrans got lucky when they hired her.

S February 9, 2019 at 1:59 PM

nice

Mimi (original) February 11, 2019 at 8:41 AM

Well, Congratulations to Janis!! That’s awesome! I really hope she’s still able to fit Claycord into her schedule, though. I thoroughly enjoy her column!