Bangkok Kitchen In Downtown Concord Closing Due To $5,800 Rent Increase

February 8, 2019 8:00 am · 77 comments

Bangkok Kitchen, located at 1980 Galindo St. in Downtown Concord is closing their restaurant later this month after 25-years in business.

The reason, according to Concord City Councilman Edi Birsan, is because their rent went from $5,200 to $11,000 a month.

I Love Teriyaki & Sushi, which is currently located on Salvio St., is planning to remodel and move into the building.

The owners of Bangkok Kitchen are looking to reopen in another location. We’ll keep you posted.

photo credit: Bangkok Kitchen

ME February 8, 2019 at 8:15 AM

NO!!! We’ve been going there since I was still in school–many, many years ago. The owner is always so nice. We probably only go a few times a year but he always remembers us and treats us like friends. That is my absolute favorite restaurant in the entire East Bay. Please keep us posted about a closing date and if another location is found.

Amy February 8, 2019 at 8:32 AM

I saw on another post that they were closing in feb 14th. Not sure if that is correct or not.

Over here! February 8, 2019 at 8:17 AM

Come on over to Pleasant Hill! We’d love to have you!

anon February 8, 2019 at 4:04 PM

YES COME TO PLEASANT HILL

Ricardoh February 8, 2019 at 8:23 AM

Rent is high for every business. Closings will continue. Must be a lot of money in Sushi though.

Margie Balch February 8, 2019 at 8:30 AM

The last day of business for Bangkok Kitchen is this Thursday, February 14th

And another thing February 8, 2019 at 8:31 AM

I oppose this tasty, family owned restaurant being forced out of their great location after 25 years.

concord ygnacio February 8, 2019 at 9:12 AM

But are you in favor of rent control or rent restrictions?

Jojo Potato February 8, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Yeah, but it’s not your decision. This capitalist system of ours allows the market to work freely for things to happen. If you really want a nice restaurant then get some money together (known as capital) and open one. That’ll teach you how things really work.

Furthermore February 8, 2019 at 12:41 PM

That’ll teach ya, too. Enjoy your weekend.

Jason February 8, 2019 at 8:33 AM

Sad to see the Thai place go. I never will go to I love teriyaki I’ve only been to a chipotle once that was enough for me and with that agave restaurant across the street it’s going to be the corner of death.

Jessica Treat February 8, 2019 at 8:36 AM

I hope claycord keeps us all informed where they go! Delicious food!

Cellophane February 8, 2019 at 8:40 AM

I think the idea is to have restaurants and services that will attract the people who can spend $3000 plus a month on an apartment to living in Concord.

Some businesses will be “uninvited” to stay in their current locations simply because they won’t attract the “proper” people.

Very sad.

One small committee holds the livelihood of businesses in their hands and has decided to destroy those who do not meet their standards.

Silva February 12, 2019 at 7:44 AM

Very sad indeed. But let’s all just keep voting them in year after year after year. After all, they put out the biggest and the most signs everywhere.

Kristen February 8, 2019 at 8:43 AM

Bangkok Kitchen has the best Thai food in Concord. It’s terrible thwy’re being forced out by this outrageous rent increase. Downtowm won’t,be the same witbout them.

Gwen February 8, 2019 at 8:53 AM

This is my favorite Thai place in Concord. I have been coming here since moving here. They had incredible quality and service was always good.

I am so sad to see a greedy landlord push them out of the location and maybe business. My husband and I just had take out from them Monday.

I’m going to try and visit before they close.

ZZ February 8, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Greed, greed, greed!

concord ygnacio February 8, 2019 at 8:55 AM

Some people here would argue that a landlord has a right to control of his own property, including whatever rent increases he wants. Do you support rent restrictions or rent control?

Patty February 8, 2019 at 10:50 AM

I am one of those people who supports the landlord’s right to raise rents without government control. From what I understand, this business has been there for 25 years. They could have a very old lease. So, they were probably paying way below market rate for their rent. When a new lease is negotiated, the landlord has the right to, and usually does, raise the rent to the market rate.
This can force a tenant out, and the landlord has to take the gamble that they can get a new tenant at the market rate. But often, they already have someone in mind.

Frank February 8, 2019 at 11:24 AM

Rent control and restrictions only make the problem worse. Look at NY, SF, all cities that have had rent control for decades have far worse problems than Concord. The problems include restrictions on building and increases in costs to landlords that must be covered by the rent. If another restaurant can take over and pay that rent it means that the restaurant has the customer base to support the overhead costs.

concord ygnacio February 8, 2019 at 8:55 AM

When is the restaurant closing??

Captain Bebops February 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM

California is pricing itself out of the market. Last person to leave please turn out the lights.

Pat February 8, 2019 at 9:34 AM

Two words.. Rent. control.

Scott February 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM

Rent Control?? The idiot voters in November voted against rent control. Just like they voted against repealing the gas tax and hike in vehicle registrations.

Captain Bebops February 8, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Have the tech companies pay their fair share. In case you missed it, yesterday it was reported that Netflix paid no federal or state taxes for last year. The tech companies should step up and pay for highway, bridge and mass transit in the Bay Area rather than put it on the backs of the public in the form of higher gas taxes, bridge tolls, etc. They are the ones who benefit most. Our state legislator fear taxing the tech companies will make them leave the Bay Area but believe me, they won’t.

Oh, please February 8, 2019 at 6:58 PM

Scott, no the smart voters actually got that one right. The idiot voters got the others wrong though. The idiots also voted in that guy who ruined SF as the governor.

Dr. Jellyfinger February 8, 2019 at 9:48 AM

I wonder if the remodeled 1/4 Lb Burger building on Clayton Rd. is still available (tho I heard the rent was pretty high).

CoCoOld February 8, 2019 at 10:23 AM

ROFL! Isn’t that the place where you get your burger served with acside of meth?

Antler February 8, 2019 at 10:48 AM

Another restaurant has already opened there…. received their ad in the mail (in an envelope of other ads) and looked at their menu online. Prices seem high for what they serve, but I do plan to give them a try.
(The space is way too small for an operation like Bangkok Kitchen, though. Plus, Bangkok was a true service to sooooo many business people on lunch break in the Todos Santos area.)

BCE February 8, 2019 at 9:59 AM

The landlord is trying to force out as many businesses as they can in that little square. Half Price Books is closing in May, because the landlord doesn’t want to renew their lease and is having Bank of America move in from across the street. Wonder which business will be next.

Furthermore February 8, 2019 at 12:46 PM

I’m sad to hear Half Price will be closing. What a bummer.

JazzMan February 8, 2019 at 1:57 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it. Can’t believe Bof A, with that huge building would want to move into a smaller location, but 🤷🏼‍♂️. I guess I’ll have to make one more (or 3) trips to buy stuff. That means there are no good bookstores until B&N opens in Veranda center.

sad February 8, 2019 at 2:12 PM

NOOOOOO 😭😭😭😭 that’s horrible!!!! I love Half Price Books 😭

Phil February 8, 2019 at 10:09 AM

Just wait a bit. The economy will tank (They always do.) and businesses will not be able to meet their rents and fold. Owners will have vacant buildings for extended periods and rent rates will drop. If you own a building, sell it now because the next crash is going to be a doozy!

Bob Foo February 9, 2019 at 8:52 AM

I agree. We are overdue for a recession. Everyone’s so fat and happy right now that their eyes are swollen shut and they don’t see it coming.

Looking forward to it, to be honest. I’m financially secure and I’m hoping to buy up some foreclosure properties.

Judy P. February 8, 2019 at 10:10 AM

Say it isn’t so. The best Thai restaurant in the area. And pumpkin curry that’ll knock your socks off.

KW February 8, 2019 at 10:24 AM

It is absolutely unconscionable to more than double a long time tenants rent like that (I certainly hope CAM fees are included in that). I understand the whole “current market rate” argument blah blah blah but I would much rather see an independently owned, small business in there than some chain store. Rent like that only guarantees that at some point, the space will sit empty because no one will be able to afford such a high, fixed monthly expense.

Anon February 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM

Same thing happened to The Lettuce Inn next door to Baskin Robbins.

Local Lady February 8, 2019 at 3:57 PM

Lettuce Inn moved just a block over on Pacheco street. They now have more space at less rent.

nicole February 8, 2019 at 10:59 AM

I love Teriyaki is too expensive now….Guess who will pay for the move & remodel?? It will be beyond most pocketbooks when its done 🙁 SAD!!!!

Scott February 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM

I’d say this is more a case of property tax increases that’s cutting into the property owner’s bottom line.

Mr. John February 8, 2019 at 11:32 AM

This makes me sad. That is/was my favorite date night Thai place.

Rents are that high because someone will pay it. I hope they can find a way to generate enough income to pay rent somewhere… there are a lot of empty businesses here in Concord.

Rent control is a technique to keep elderly from being thrown from their homes after retirement when cost of living rises and their retirement income proves insufficient to maintain their lifestyle. It isn’t generally a technique that is used to help commercial ventures.

Captain Bebops February 8, 2019 at 12:38 PM

That’s it and it’s called “the rule of rent”. I wish I could locate the short YouTube video that explained it very well. Perhaps one way to keep rents from rising is a progressive tax on rental property revenue. Price control is not the solution, just look at the Nixon years.

Reppin I Love February 8, 2019 at 11:43 AM

Just wanted to clear the air about I Love Teriyaki and Sushi moving in to this location. Brenden Theaters did not renew the lease and gave 6 months notice. I Love Teriyaki and Sushi had no choice but to move, not a rent increase even though it has been almost 19 years running. I Love Teriyaki and Sushi had no option but to find a new location and because of the 5800 increase to their rent, Bangkok declined to renew their lease (given the option). I Love Teriyaki and Sushi has been very cooperative with Peter and family (owners of Bangkok) and has mutually established that the last day of operation is February 18th (Monday) and then closing for remodel for about 3 months. REPRESENT LOCAL BUSINESSES!

Natalie February 8, 2019 at 11:49 AM

Half-Price Books is being forced out too, and will be gone in a couple of months. HPB is the only store that’s open late, and our community will lose an important community gathering place. People who visit Half Price Books often get food in the area. C.R.E.A.M. and Peet’s in particular will lose business, because there is a large overlap with their customers and HPB.

There are empty retail locations all over Concord, but they remain empty because they are priced too high. But our council and special interest groups are intent on letting gentrification run its course, at the detriment to our city.

Doh February 8, 2019 at 12:35 PM

Sorry to learn about Half-Price Books.
Eventually only bland chains will be able to afford the rents.

MisterC February 8, 2019 at 11:50 AM

I, for one, look forward to the complete removal of all local businesses downtown, replacing them with the same generic crap chain restaurants as every other city. Why scare people with interesting and unique cuisines when you can have the gentrified “Panda Express” version?

It’s so much better to support the corporate office in Minneapolis than a local business owner.

Bland white people everywhere rejoice!

Misty February 8, 2019 at 3:03 PM

Just wanted to point out that I Love Teriyaki and Sushi is also a local business. One that has been open in Concord for almost 19 years, practically across the street from Bangkok Kitchen.

Gititogether February 8, 2019 at 12:00 PM

Bangkok is clean and tasty. However, have no knowledge of owners, landlord, existing lease, landlord’s expenses, mindset, etc.. However, it is an investment and anyone calling for rent control would be the first to scream if someone tried to put a cap on their investment(s)…mutual funds, house, bong pipe collection, etc.

rkt88edmo February 8, 2019 at 12:39 PM

aaaargh – this is one of our favorite and most frequented places 🙁 🙁 🙁

Food is great and the staff is friendly.

Silva February 8, 2019 at 2:34 PM

There sure are a lot of empty spaces in Concord, I sure do hope Half Price Books will stay in Concord. The old Beverly’s space still looks vacant. That would be PERFECT for me.😀

Lesley February 8, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Last time I was in Half Price Books about 3 weeks ago they said they were looking for another location as their rent too had been increased over what they could pay, so unless that info was wrong or has changed it looks like they may be out of there too

ME February 8, 2019 at 2:49 PM

Someone mentioned the empty space at the Safeway on 4309 Clayton. Our favorite sushi place was there, they really catered to our toddler so it was perfect. Since they left its been empty–is it 2 yrs now? We’d love to have Bangkok Kitchen go there for our own selfish reasons.

Bedazzled February 8, 2019 at 3:44 PM

When we owned our businesses we bought the buildings. The heck with landlords!
You rent and you suffer…that’s the way it always will be.

94517 February 8, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Very sad and unfair but that is the risk of renting now days especially in California.

pony February 8, 2019 at 4:59 PM

You knew rents would go up as soon as Crapolte signed on.

unclebrad February 8, 2019 at 5:06 PM

REALLY hate to see Bangkok Kitchen go.
I love that place.

BagsFlyFree February 8, 2019 at 6:02 PM

Interesting news if B of A ditches their old digs. That is a building that could use a rebirth in a new modern format!

Hope BKK comes back soon. That restaurant was very tastefully ran and was always good.

BFF Out

Bluebird February 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM

My guess is they will tear down all the buildings on that square block – parking garage, bank building, and office building – and build condos/apartments.

Antler February 8, 2019 at 8:44 PM

Hello, Bluebird! Bangkok Kitchen (across Galindo from Brenden Theater) and Bank of America (across Galindo from the Renaissance Condo Building) are currently not in the same block.

Dorine February 8, 2019 at 6:09 PM

THIEIR IS PLACE IN THE SAFEWAY SHOPPING CENTER ON CLAYTON ROAD AND TREAT.

JazzMan February 8, 2019 at 9:23 PM

There are a couple vacant places on Clayton. Where Beverly Fabric was (99 cent store lot), and the Foodmax lot where the hobby store used to be.

Grace Grech Jones February 8, 2019 at 6:10 PM

A company from New York purchased the whole square block.

BagsFlyFree February 8, 2019 at 8:18 PM

The B of A block or Chipotle block? Thx!

Grace Grech Jones February 9, 2019 at 11:55 AM

The whole square block – where Pete’s coffee, 1/2 Price Book’s, Chevron Gas Station and new restaurants are.

Victor 6 February 8, 2019 at 8:03 PM

Have been going to Bangkok Kitchen since they opened nearly century ago. Peter and his family are very dedicated good people and have served brilliant authentic food and recipes from their homeland of Thailand. Peter, his wife and daughter reflect the epitomy of people from the “Land of Smiles” in Thailand. Hoping they take a well deserved rest before we find them in another soon to be announced locality. Thank you Bangkok Kitchen for bringing us 25 years of authentic Thai food served with hospitality and smiles:

LimeRidge Larry February 8, 2019 at 9:12 PM

A century ago????? Damn….those people have been cooking a long time.

Bill Bob February 8, 2019 at 8:18 PM

I don’t get it. It seems like landlords would often prefer to raise rent and let the property sit vacant, sometimes for years. The numbers can’t add up for that. Take for example that former Chili’s in downtown WC, that’s has a “for lease” sign in it for what, 5 years?

CeCe February 8, 2019 at 11:05 PM

$11,000 per month plus utilities, wages, taxes, insurance ,etc.. would require selling A LOT of food! It’s unsustainable, and it is greed by the landlords! Many communities are experiencing closures of beloved businesses that have served their communities for years. These businesses are the heart and soul of their communities. Services and unique shopping are being taken away , from the community, eliminating businesses that made these cities special. Someone told me the landlords can take write offs when their storefronts sit empty. The greed is unbelievable. Consider : the maximum social security will pay is $2,800 per month! The greed is destroying our communities! We will become faceless, soul-less cities and overpriced! It is sad to see….

WC Resident February 8, 2019 at 11:21 PM

Half Price Books used to be a good deal as I like to read older books, particularly those from before 1980. HPB would price books at half the original retail price. If a book originally sold for 60 cents then I’d pay 30 cents and was happy as that’s about what it was worth. HPB stopped doing that and made the minimum $1 which was too much for much of the junk I like to read.

I have wondered at times about landlords that will leave a commercial spot, or even a building, empty for years.

It’s too bad that area of Concord will be getting redeveloped. I believe it’s important to have older low-rent buildings. Frequently the land is paid for meaning the landlord can afford to charge a rent that would be more applicable to the 1980s or earlier while still making enough to maintain the building and to pay for day to day personal expenses. Not every business can be scaled to pay $10,000/month or more for a space.

cocncord ygnacio February 9, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Does anyone know the exact date in May when Half Price Book will close?

S February 9, 2019 at 2:18 PM

the Nantucket in Crockett is closing down on the 17th.. this month…

Silva February 12, 2019 at 7:35 AM

😭😭😭

Pim February 9, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Dear Reppin I love,

Would you please elaborate how I love sushi could have a right to ask BKK kitchen to close on Feb 18 when they pay rent until the end of Feb?

I heard that BKK kitchen will close on Feb 14. I hope that there is no other pressure to BKK Kitchen to close early.

Resident February 12, 2019 at 7:15 AM

This landlord did the same thing to La Sen Bistro exactly
The sane time frame.
The unreasonable rent hike cost downtown Concord
Very great and quality restaurants. Really miss
La Sen. If Concord wants to keep attracting
High end businesses, they will need nnicer
Restaurants. Chipotle is not a good
Replacement. Reason to close isvthru
Have to sell off all their assets of then
Restaurant. This costs the small business
Owner hundreds of dollars in loss of assets.
A liquidator only offers a very small sum
To take the items away. Start up unless you
Can store your kitchenware and furniture plus
Construction would be easily in the
$100ks.
Hope downtown gets tough and saved
Small business owners. Need to make
Duwntown quaint and inviting.

CLAYCORD.com February 8, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Half Price Books is actually a chain store. It’s headquartered in Dallas and has over 120 stores nationwide.

Janet2019 February 8, 2019 at 6:08 PM

Yeah I didn’t know that until I saw a used CD for sale on Amazon. Surprised to see the Seller was HPB which led me to their website.

Not a true local business but they did fill a niche that even B&N can’t.