The Water Cooler – Do You Think We Should Have More Holidays?

January 21, 2019 12:00 pm · 38 comments

water_cooler3251

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

QUESTION: Is there a day, such as a person’s birthday, or another day you wish was a holiday? If so, tell us which one.

Talk about it….

Concordejet January 21, 2019 at 12:07 PM

No, there should be less Holiday because buying presents are always expensive. The best present you can give is a broken drum. You just can’t beat it! Laughing here. haha

AnonZ January 21, 2019 at 12:10 PM

I just want all the ones we used to get 20 years ago. Over the years, these 3 have been phased out:
*MLK
*Columbus Day
*Veterans Day

And what’s left is NOT ENOUGH!
Election Day should be a Holiday
Superbowl should be moved to a Saturday (but not a holiday).

JazzMan January 21, 2019 at 2:59 PM

MLK and Veterans Day are still holidays. I agree Super Bowl should be on Saturday.

AnonZ January 22, 2019 at 4:38 AM

JazzMan: For most, they are not PAID DAYS OFF any longer.

Roz January 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM

I’m thinking not so much for another Holiday. With all that we have now, there are quite a few Holidays folks don’t even get off or even paid time and a half if they have to work it.

TOB January 21, 2019 at 12:32 PM

I’d just like to fix Veteran’s Day. I’m a vet with a DD-214 yet I have to work on Veterans Day each year or take PTO Day while Bankers, Gov’t workers all get off and didn’t serve. Make a law that any veteran with a DD-214 is to have that day off with pay, mandatory. Why I say it’s broken.

In terms of more Holidays, employees can’t get enough of them. Employers don’t want to see more. I think they are enough just make them more universally applied. Example today MLK Day some closed some open. Be nice if all employers recognized same days. JMO..

Simonpure January 21, 2019 at 12:57 PM

Bad Nombre January 21, 2019 at 3:05 PM

You’d be surprised how many veterans work for the federal government.

Simonpure January 21, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Yes….many do. My Navy Veteran brother in-law works for the VA Hospital in Martinez. His days off are Friday and Saturdays so he works all Holidays including Veterans day.

linnie January 21, 2019 at 12:42 PM

I think 9/11 should be a holiday. I think they should do away with Lincoln’s Birthday! We have Presidents’ Day – why should his birthday not be included in that day.

AnonZ January 22, 2019 at 4:55 AM

I’m guessing you are not old enough to remember…. we used to get school holidays for Lincoln’s (2/12) and Washington’s (2/22); at some point they combined to ONE day. So President’s Day includes BOTH birthdays. “Nixon supposedly fostered the notion that it is a day for commemorating all U.S. Presidents, a feat he supposedly achieved by issuing a proclamation on 21 February 1971 which declared the third Monday in February to be a “holiday set aside to honor all presidents, even myself”.”

S January 21, 2019 at 12:45 PM

if there is cost involved to the taxpayers or as an individual, then NO!

Lovelace January 21, 2019 at 12:49 PM

Everyday should be a holiday…..

Mika January 21, 2019 at 12:57 PM

The day after Christmas and the day after New Year’s Day. Everyone is exhausted from the day before.

Jan January 21, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Did anyone notice last nite power failure. 7.11…dollar store …treat clayton area no power till 730 this morning

RunnerDope January 21, 2019 at 6:15 PM

I noticed it when I got up and half the clocks were wrong.

Silva January 21, 2019 at 1:09 PM

I think we should get at least a month of vacation per year, like they do in any starting position in Europe and Great Britain.

Giddyup January 21, 2019 at 8:48 PM

I agree. Or, all of August off.

Cellophane January 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM

I don’t think there should be any government sponsored holidays.

Every person should determine what events or occasions they wish to acknowledge and how they wish to acknowledge them.

The only exception should be the 4th of July.

Dorothy January 21, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Sure, make lots of days a holiday – but only if the people who will have to work anyhow will always get paid double time and a half.

TraumaRx January 21, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Fire Fighters Day & Nurses Day.

Turn n Burn January 21, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Sorry, we’re all pretty much done with you. You don’t respond to questions or comments that you post. So we’ve all figured out you’re nothing but another troll. Bye!!!

TraumaRx January 21, 2019 at 5:36 PM

Grow up. Very pathetic of you.

Lovelace January 21, 2019 at 9:05 PM

National seatbelt day😉

Dr. Jellyfinger January 21, 2019 at 10:36 PM

National Internet Troll Day

Dawg January 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM

No, we don’t need more holidays. Too many people today don’t have any Idea what what they are celebrating anyway, they only know they get the day off and it’s time to B B Q, drink beer and party.

Chicken Little January 21, 2019 at 3:47 PM

As much as I would like to have a hundred more paid holidays per year, I think we probably already have enough.

Election day, in particular, should NOT be a holiday. Most people don’t even vote. Why reward them for their apathy with a day off work? For those who do vote, there’s plenty of time outside of work hours for 99% of jobs. The other 1% can vote by mail.

Dr. Jellyfinger January 21, 2019 at 10:34 PM

Howsabout :”National Doctors Day”? We deserve it!

Why just today I assisted with a swell buncha guys…. real braniac type surgeons. I was just there to advise if the patient had a crap attack during the procedure.. it seems this guy had a strange neurological thingy going on…. every time he pressed anything with his right index finger he’d pee & defecate uncontrollably…. really dangerous operation too! He pulled thru, but it was touch & go for awhile there.

Kirkwood January 22, 2019 at 9:55 AM

🙂
Good one, Dr. J.

Catalina La January 21, 2019 at 10:57 PM

Ilovepopcorn January 22, 2019 at 4:49 AM

Absolutely not! However Americans need much more paid vacations! They do not even take of their their vacations now because they think it their employer will look down on that. So employers should make sure their employees are taking their vacations! They need much more than two weeks a year.

Rob January 22, 2019 at 8:00 AM

LOL – too true. I work with customers in Europe and they are always laughing at Americans who kill themselves for a job – take 1 or 2 weeks of vacation and wind up with less when they finally retire….

Anon January 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM

I agree. My European relatives find it disgraceful that American corporations offer such measly amounts of vacation.

jose January 22, 2019 at 7:21 AM

How about ‘Common Sense Day’? Many people will not observe it and probably protest it being that they don’t get it..

Doh January 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM

We should have 6 weeks annual vacation as a standard, just like Europe. This would the employment numbers too.

Xennial January 22, 2019 at 1:27 PM

Election day should be a holiday.
Columbus day should be removed (he was a brutal man, as all sea captains at the time were). While not atypical for the time, Columbus is certainly no role model for modern times.

For those complaining about a lack of pay/observance of federal holidays by private employers, it is not the role of government to force these changes on employers. It is the role of unions. If you want to see those kinds of changes maybe you should talk to and support your unions.

The Mamba January 22, 2019 at 2:55 PM

The day after the Super Bowl, just call it Patriot’s Day.

jjshawk January 24, 2019 at 11:07 PM

I am open (not committed) to the idea of making election-days (Presidential and Mid-Term) legal holidays.