The Water Cooler – Mail Delivery – Have You Noticed a Difference?

January 16, 2019 12:00 pm · 41 comments

water_cooler3251

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

The United States Postal Service has been going through a lot of changes lately. Some carriers now use their own unmarked vehicles, they don’t wear uniforms, and in many cases, mail has been delivered very late at night, if at all.

Has your mail delivery service gone downhill lately? If so, tell us about it.

Talk about it….

Dawg January 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Nope, it’s been the same for over thirty years. The only thing that changed is the mailman, every few years a new one appears. The delivery time has been pretty consistent within two hours every morning.

San January 16, 2019 at 12:14 PM

My service here in Antioch has positively gone to hell in a handbasket just in the past week and a half…and I mean noticeably BAD service. Mail misdelivered, mail missing, and a new guy who’s a total rude asshat.

JR January 16, 2019 at 12:18 PM

Same Here!!

Stove January 16, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Service wayyyyy downhill last 6 months or so, at work and home. Mail delivery about 4 hours later on average than it used to be, sometimes up to 9PM even after Christmas holidays ended, and they dont wear uniforms or drive USPS trucks anymore so never know if its someone stealing my mail and packages from mailbox and front door, ive ran out to stop them only to find out they are supposedly the mailman.

Kauai Mike January 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM

No. Service remains steady & good.

I do like the ability to view mail online with their free service.

USPSInformedDelivery@usps.gov

Chicken Little January 16, 2019 at 12:35 PM

It’s still exactly the same. We still get our neighbors’ mail and mail from people who don’t even live within a mile of us. I’m sure plenty of our mail gets delivered to other people, too. At least I give it to it’s rightful owners.

Cellophane January 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM

The mailman we have now is always in uniform and drives a mail truck.

When he’s not working the substitutes are a scary bunch. Mail is delivered very late and by people who hot rodding through the neighborhood in mail trucks, which is really funny to watch. Dangerous for resident tho’.

The regular mail guy always delivered after 5 PM, then one day he delivered about 3 PM and I asked why? He told me he was out of overtime and had to be done delivering on time.

Now, he delivers by 3 PM every day, I guess over time has been restricted for him.

martinezmike January 16, 2019 at 12:49 PM

I keep hearing ads on the radio about mail complaints. I think they are trying to sell supplements.

Mailer January 16, 2019 at 12:49 PM

I have seen a terrible decrease in service quality. I have had 4 packages stolen by USPS postal carriers in the last year. They usually mark
Something as “delivered” but they delivered
Nothing! I am fed up with their awful employees. It is much better to spend the extra money to use UPS or FedEx.

eightcyl January 16, 2019 at 12:50 PM

Once in a while we get our mail before 5 PM. Usually, after 6. Been this way for years.

ZZ January 16, 2019 at 12:55 PM

The last five years we get mail that doesn’t belong to us. Other neighbors get our mail. Some days the mail doesn’t get delivered at all. They leave a plastic mail box full of circulars for at least 10 days (they don’t put them in the mail boxes anymore). They leave packages on the doorstep when I have filled out a form not to do that if no one answers the door. I will pick it up at the post office.
So generally, they suck.

Captain Bebops January 16, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Service in Martinez out of the Alhambra PO has been so poor that it has even been the subject of local TV newscasts and city council meetings. The problem is the way the USPS is run as a “corporation” (it has been since the 1970s) and harsh management. The USPS also has to fund pensions for workers who have not even been born yet. This is all due to evil congress critters who want to privatize mail so their cronies can take advantage.

Even back in the 1980s, a friend who was the secretary for the local postal union told me they wanted 5 day delivery as staffing for Saturdays was difficult and of course many offices are closed Saturdays. That could have gone a long ways to solving the problem.

There is a documentary about what happened to the postal service over the years. Look up “Murder By Proxy” on YouTube to find it since it is age restricted due to content on mass shootings so I won’t include the link.

Bob January 16, 2019 at 1:31 PM

How hard is it to put on a uniform?

Seriously

Palermo January 16, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Our mail service is absolutely horrible. It never comes before 7 pm, you can’t even see the box in the pitch dark. I signed up for that informed delivery email. It stopped coming, so I have to check their website daily and it is either wrong or shows “we have a mailpiece that isn’t shown”.

Wren Area January 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM

For several years, our route was ‘unassigned’, and delivery was made by a carrier who had already completed their route. Needless to say, delivery was usually after 7pm, often not at all.

For about the last two years, we seem to have an assigned route with a familiar face. Far better service, usually by 1pm. The one thing that is still questionable is Saturday service, which doesn’t seem to happen once, or twice a month.

Overall, pleased with our current service.

Roz January 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM

The mailman (person) is always in uniform and drives a mail truck.
Our Court is the last few on the route, so 85% of the time, mail show up after 5 PM. Been that way for the 40 years we have lived here.

Irene January 16, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Our mail delivery is still the same, not good. The carrier is awful. Mail is mis-delivered. I have a locking mail box, but it doesn’t do any good when the mail isn’t put all the way in and is hanging out for anyone to take. I signed up for informed delivery and yesterday I got a picture of someone else’s piece of mail that doesn’t even live near me.

Chicken Little January 16, 2019 at 6:34 PM

You and I must have the same mail carrier, lol.

BagsFlyFree January 16, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Mail service is great in my neck of the woods. Hours of delivery have changed a bit, but items are always received as expected. Amazon delivery is always spotty with where boxes appear.

BFF Out!

anon January 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM

My mail delivery has been bad for years. I get other peoples mail and it’s delivered all times day and night I’ve never seen a supervisor even check on their employees during their route. Maybe that’s the problem.

JustMe January 16, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Our delivery service in Concord has gone downhill. I’ve mentioned this in the past here, but originally when I moved to Concord, mail would arrive in the afternoon, some time around 2pm.

Somewhere along the line that changed to 4pm, when they started something new. That in itself wasn’t too bad, but in the last 3 years it’s now arriving at 5pm or later. Sometimes it arrives as late as 8pm I’ve just about given up checking my mailbox when I arrive home. The problem here is, it arrives so late, I risk leaving my mail in the mailbox all night, and it occasionally is stolen or missing. About a year ago I signed up for the service where I can see a copy of the mail that is supposed to arrive, but there are times when it’s not delivered. Now don’t get me started on packages– the US Post Office often fibs about package deliveries, saying they’ve been delivered when they are not– either by hours or even a day, I question why you have tracking if you’re going to lie about it. I cant tell you how many times I’ve received a text message around 4pm that a package was delivered to my house, I go outside, and nothing is there. Then, hours later, I hear the mail truck, and they drop off my package on my porch at 8pm.

Anyway, I often see the mail person in the neighborhood sitting for great lengths of time, sometimes in various places through out the day. I often wonder if they’re delivering late simply to get overtime.

I really wish they could deliver our mail before 5pm.

Sandy G. January 16, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Mail service in Martinez is notoriously bad.

Robin Gibson January 16, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Our mail service is really bad. Within the last year it has gotten worse. Delivery is now around 6pm They have been going downhill in the last year. I hate USPS they are the worse mails delivery service ever. I have had packages that are not ours left at my porch. So I did there job several times and delivered it to the correct address at the other end of our street. Some delivery people can’t read We had a postman that delivered our mail at an apartment complex and one day we discovered he could NOT read english what so ever. He would come into the office if there was no apartment number and look on the board for a while and we asked him if he could read and he told us no. So that says alot about the USPS.

Mailma January 16, 2019 at 3:51 PM

I have read all the comments and I agree with most. We are at the end of the route to it will be after 5 when we get it. The carriers without uniforms are usually temps. The cars are usually contracted. There is only one mail truck per route.

Concordejet January 16, 2019 at 4:53 PM

Yes, yesterday the postal guy gave me the wrong mail so, I had to go return it to my neighbor.

Love My City January 16, 2019 at 5:41 PM

We live near the Concord/Clayton border and our service has always been pretty good and the time consistent 3-4pm. We travel a lot and have our mail held and it is always surprising to pick it up after a month and find several pieces of mail that don’t belong to us…sometimes important looking stuff. One time we complained to the supervisor in Concord, but it still happens. I was super impressed to get a delivery this year on Christmas, right to the door…or was that UPS???

Lyn January 16, 2019 at 5:45 PM

I’ve noticed an increase in wrong address delivery. Almost everyday, i’ve received a letter or package delivered to my home adressed to a different home. The only similarity is the numbers, but the adressees and street names are totally incorrect.

WC Resident January 16, 2019 at 7:32 PM

Our regular mail carrier is great. On the days she is not working we get wrong and very late deliveries. So far, they have always been using USPS trucks and are in uniform. As it’s a 1987 model our regular mail carrier babies “her” truck.

A distressing thing is that the same truck is used by the substitute drivers. The regular substitute is extremely aggressive with the truck. She floors the gas to get to our house, slams on the brakes, floors in reverse, slams on the brakes, and floors it to the next house. Our regular carrier does not need to back up as she knows the sweet spot for stopping at each mailbox and the turn radius of her truck. Plus, it’s easier to make a sharp turn away from a mailbox when moving at low speed.

A few weeks ago I saw a woman walking up a street in WC with a USPS mail cart. She was not in uniform and did not have any visible ID. She also was not delivering mail at the time. I called WC police as I suspected it was either a mail or package theft under way. WC PD made contact with her. It turned out she had been working for the USPS for three weeks and had not yet been issued a uniform nor any ID. The non-delivery at the time was because they gave her a route that was a small cluster of apartments in one area and a another small cluster that was half a mile down the street. I don’t know if she had a truck but she was walking between the clusters meaning it would be just over a mile of walking for the round trip between those two clusters.

Barbie Girl January 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM

Its been great. We get it on time. And things Ive mailed from the post office have arrived on time, early even. Good job, keep it up!

Neenee January 16, 2019 at 9:19 PM

I live at the end of Melody Drive and we never know what time of the day were going to get our mail and I also have the USPS app that tells me and shows me pictures in my email of what is in my mailbox and it showed me Monday that my Wave bill was in my box but the last two days that I’ve open my mail it’s not in there so what the hell is going on

Dr. Jellyfinger January 16, 2019 at 10:25 PM

The way they run the route they always drive up the street (uphill, really) then down the street (on my side) headed downhill….. so my service is always going downhill….. don’t blame me…. you asked.

Ilovepopcorn January 17, 2019 at 6:04 AM

Very good service! I am in Rossmoor.

Silva January 17, 2019 at 7:56 AM

It goes very well generally. There was a very long period between losing our previous regular carrier for 22 years to retirement and having a good reliable carrier again. The many (temporary?) carriers in between were pathetic. There must’ve been a hundred or two, they each seemed to arrange their own route, or some imbecile in an office mapped it out differently every day or two. But the Post Office has improved over that @5 year period here. Before the last guy who retired we had a woman carrier who was here when we arrived. She was the first female carrier we had ever seen anywhere. The day I met her (I was 14 years old and the only one there) we introduced ourselves and she immediately told me we needed to get a new bigger mailbox and where she wanted us to relocate it on the on the porch so she could walk straight to it without having to turn to the right and take 2 more steps. My mom bought a new mailbox and though she thought it very presumptuous of the lady, she decided we’d better make her happy and I installed it where she told me she wanted it. She was our carrier a solid 25 years. It was probably worth pleasing her, though she didn’t ever seem particularly pleased about anything.

victoria c January 17, 2019 at 8:18 AM

I live off port Chicago and olvera rd and lately it’s like the mall delivery picks and chooses when it wants to drop off or mail. I have informed delivery so I know what’s supposed to come and when but it turns out i never really know when because the mail has been inconsistent lately

Patty January 17, 2019 at 9:15 AM

If you have bad service, you should contact your local post office and tell the problems. They can’t correct it if they are not informed.
I think they should stop Saturday delivery. This would drastically cut the cost of overtime. Offices are closed anyway. But they should keep the Post Office Branches open on Saturday.

AnonZ January 17, 2019 at 9:28 AM

IF they answer the phone!! and then they don’t give a SH*T!!

Kentucky Derby January 17, 2019 at 11:00 AM

If you have bad service, call and ask for the Postmaster. I’ve done it. I was told “I’ll give you the best one I’ve got.” It’s been years, and he’s still doing our route. He does an excellent job.

Ripley January 17, 2019 at 9:16 AM

In Pleasant Hill near Winslow Center. Our mail service has been poor the last year. Sometimes it comes late morning then the next day it’s after 6pm, no rhyme or reason. I usually get a day or two a month where we get nothing, and nobody picks up either when that happens. I’ve had several packages just disappear while enroute. I track them and I’ll get the “delivered” update yet I’ve been here all day (I’m retired)and no delivery. I’ve also received “unable to deliver do to access” which is BS since I’m in a residential home on a typical residential street.
I’ve come to the point where I drop all outgoing mail important stuff at the actual post office

AnonZ January 17, 2019 at 9:32 AM

BAD. In fact, no mail came yesterday even tho my USPS email alert showed I should be getting some. We constantly get neighbors mail which I’ve begun putting back in the mail rather than walking it next door because I’m so tired of it.

The funniest thing is I had a priority/tracked package that was lost last June. It was found and delivered in October; but I keep getting emails from USPS saying they are still searching for it. #IGNORANT #KEEPSEARCHING!

Cowellian January 17, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Our local Postmaster hates me, so I don’t even call her anymore. We had a new carrier who ran over my neighbor’s mailbox, and then just drove away. Luckily, I took pictures. I posted the pictures in a local Facebook group and sent a link to USPS National Customer Service. When my neighbor got home, I gave her the pictures, and she called the Cops. Within a few minutes, we had a convention on our street with several cops, the Postmaster and several other postal officials, and the carrier who said she had no idea that she had done anything. But USPS paid for a new mailbox, and if that carrier is still working, it’s not on our street.

Pissed January 17, 2019 at 9:49 AM

I had a prescribed drug recently delivered to a neighbor’s mailbox. The neighbor did give me the medication but also explained that they’d accidentally opened it. The same mailman in our condominium complex was apparently too lazy to deliver a package to my neighbor’s door so he just left it sitting on top of the mailboxes. Of course it disappeared.