ALERT: One Lane Blocked On Ygnacio Valley Rd. In Concord

January 16, 2019 15:59 pm · 18 comments

One lane is blocked on westbound Ygnacio Valley road in Concord between park Highlands boulevard and Michigan boulevard due to a large branch in the roadway.

Police are on scene waiting for city crews to remove the branch.

Thanks to Doug for the photo.

noname January 16, 2019 at 4:31 PM

I don’t get it. The person who took the picture could have dragged this branch out of the way.

The Dude January 16, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Noname- you and I think the same way, however, maybe it was a woman with a car full of kids, or an elderly person with some physical limitations…..I have learned not to judge people by what ” I would have done”……there are many reasons why they only took a picture…..

Strad January 16, 2019 at 4:47 PM

If it was that small the police on the scene would move it.

Nutcreek Frontier January 16, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Word, come on people pull together. Help out if you can.

Poodlme January 16, 2019 at 5:15 PM

This was my thought-exactly.

S January 16, 2019 at 5:51 PM

same thought here.. 2… 3 peeps max could’a done the job… now some public employee is gonna get a minimum overtime call out at taxpayer expense. (giving Doug the benefit of…; maybe he’s physically unable to have moved it).

anotheranon January 16, 2019 at 4:42 PM

It would seem that the police could easily drag, pull or whatever that branch out of the way, rather than cause further traffic problems while waiting for city crews.

Neighbor January 16, 2019 at 4:45 PM

My thoughts exactly!

Cellophane January 16, 2019 at 4:56 PM

There are a lot of reasons why people shouldn’t drag limbs off of the roadway.

First and foremost is the traffic. People don’t stop. He could have been injured or killed if hit by a car, or his car hit or something worse like a multi-car pileup.

Second, the limb might have been unstable or too hard for someone to move alone. It may have been too large to get off the roadway. There’s no sense someone injuring themselves.

I believe the proper call here was to contact the police.

I

Babers January 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM

The power is out in Clayton on Keller Ridge.

Mike January 16, 2019 at 5:17 PM

1,581 people without power in the Clayton area.

ETA on power coming back:

8:30pm

Kirkwood January 16, 2019 at 5:56 PM

If he did it and hurt himself in the process, could the City could be liable?

Simonpure January 16, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Hilarious…this turned from an alert to a common sense lecture lesson.

Whoe Jim January 16, 2019 at 7:25 PM

I agree with everyone’s assertions from either side to help or be safe but I took a closer look at the pic and if you look higher above the trees there appears to be some power lines running perpendicular to the street which would definitely ruin your day if you came in contact with them……

WC Resident January 16, 2019 at 7:39 PM

Tree limbs are heavy. I doubt someone could safely drag that thing off the roadway though it appears someone broke off and removed the little stuff that had been intruding on the right hand lane.

I see a fresh scar on the tree to the left and another on the tree to the right of it. Eucalyptus trees tend to drop branches regularly and unexpectedly.

Cellophane January 16, 2019 at 8:09 PM

I just heard on my scanner that CPD is advising that outbound Treat will be closed for another 2 to 3 hours.

Public works on working on tree removal.

Guess Ygnacio is not the only trouble spot tonight.

Hanne Jeppesen January 16, 2019 at 9:24 PM

So easy to judge and comment on what someone should have done. Several commenters here seem to have some common sense. Traffic, the person not physically able to move the branch, powerlines, and frankly if one tree limb broke off, how do you know if another one might not be about to do the same. Also I believe if the branch is wet it will be heavier than dry, so the size of it might not have anything to do with is weight. Certainly a tree branch on the road blogging traffic is not worth a human risking life and limp for. This is best left to experts.

Dr. Jellyfinger January 16, 2019 at 10:32 PM

In public works slang this is called a Wells Fargo job.